Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Marvel Cinematic Universe" Discussion Thread

The Dancing Clown pottyaboutpotter1's Avatar
    I really liked Age of Ultron. It was just a huge fun blast and a pretty great movie. IMO it's just like the Pixar situation with Cars, Brave and Cars 2 where people consider it to be bad just because it's not mind blowingly brilliant like Marvel's other films, even though Age of Ultron is miles better than most other superhero films.
    You'll float too. We all float down here.

Wishlist:
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 Complete
    Avengers: Infinity War Complete
    Avengers: Endgame Complete
    The Hobbit Trilogy Complete
    Before I Wake - Danny Elfman Tracks
    Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them Complete
    Dunkirk Expanded/Complete

Official Shrine Grinch TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
    IMO it's just like the Pixar situation with Cars, Brave and Cars 2
    I give Pixar a pass for Cars 2 since all their other films are so brilliant.

Neg
    I Liked Cars 2 LOL Now I Would Pass Brave, Up And Wall.e Any Day!

But The Marvels The Only One So Far (From The Disney Avengers Series) I Hated Was The Incredible Hulk.

Outside The Disney Owned Ones I Pretty Much Liked Them All Except the Daredevil Movie! God I Hated That. I Am Still A Bit Like Wether to See Fantastic Four This Year... Will It Be Good or Not? I Liked The Other 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Gold View Post
    I Am Still A Bit Like Wether to See Fantastic Four This Year... Will It Be Good or Not? I Liked The Other 2.
    Don't waste your money. If the trailers and behind-the-scenes info are any indication, the actors are untalented, the director has no idea what sort of film to make, the writing is garbage, and it's connected to the FF in name only.

Let's see how much inspiration the lead actress had to get from reading the source material and learning about who Sue Storm really is:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
    I really liked Age of Ultron. It was just a huge fun blast and a pretty great movie. IMO it's just like the Pixar situation with Cars, Brave and Cars 2 where people consider it to be bad just because it's not mind blowingly brilliant like Marvel's other films, even though Age of Ultron is miles better than most other superhero films.
    Yes, it was quite unlike other masterpieces Marvel has produced recently like Iron Man 3 or Thor: The Dark World, maybe or even dare I say, the entire first Captain America movie except Red Skull (I have a soft spot for Weaving).

Totally /s by the way.

Thing is, we'd totally give Ultron the pass if it was if not better than as good as the worst installments in the franchise except no, it turned out to set a new low for the MCU. And this is coming after Guardians and Winter Soldier, both of which were clear examples showing why Marvel is so good at the Cinematic Universe thing. I know bringing in Shane Black was a mistake and hoped Marvel had learnt from it. I also thought Joss Whedon would realize that he, quite unlike his workhorse characters, has very human limits.

Neg
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
    Don't waste your money. If the trailers and behind-the-scenes info are any indication, the actors are untalented, the director has no idea what sort of film to make, the writing is garbage, and it's connected to the FF in name only.

Let's see how much inspiration the lead actress had to get from reading the source material and learning about who Sue Storm really is:

WTF! How Dissapointing Oh Well At Least We Had 2 Decent F4 Movies. I Am Interested To Deadpool Tho! I Read Gore Like (Blade and Punisher) So Fun Fun Fun!

But The Marvels The Only One So Far (From The Disney Avengers Series) I Hated Was The Incredible Hulk.
    Well then you're either TEAM BANA or TEAM RUFFALO.

Outside The Disney Owned Ones I Pretty Much Liked Them All Except the Daredevil Movie! God I Hated That. I Am Still A Bit Like Wether to See Fantastic Four This Year... Will It Be Good or Not? I Liked The Other 2.
    I thought the last FF duology was perfectly average at best. I preferred Chris Evans as Johnny Storm over Cap though. But this new one looks like a catastrophe. The director (he did Chronicle btw, a movie that has its good things and its very poor things), has had a huge amount of issues while in production and almost everyone involved in the movie is pissed off. Josh Trank, the guy, was going to do a Star Wars spin off but got fired from that gig because he didn;t communicate with the producers well and also Simon Kinberg (who was one of the producers on FF and the SW spinoff) told everyone how bad the FF production was causing his rep with the SW people to plummet.

Agree with SkeletonMan here, don't bother. Or at least until the home media comes out (out of curiosity that is).

Neg
    Yes i think waiting for a very cheap dvd is an option here thanks for the imput.

I agree the marketing on FF was/is/will be terrible. Almost as ham fisted, club footed, wrong headed as the marketing for Terminator: Genisys, which, btw, totally occupies that patch of ground known as "not good at all."

However, I will see it. Hollywood and the entertainment media loves to denigrate a film and film makers, especially when they've had success. They're waiting in the wings with their long knives out. I liked, not loved however, Trank's Chronicle, the actors are good and I don't believe in pre-judging a film. Trank might have gotten in over his head with his second film being such an EFX spectacle. (Fox should have put an experienced producer on set to help Trank navigate such a massive production.) As for the other two FF films, they were noted more for Ms. Alba's form-fitting costumes than anything else.

And lest we forget, Mad Max:Fury Road was beset with problems and Hollywood called it a failure before Warner released so much as one frame of film. I hope FF will be that sort of pleasant surprise.

P.S. And wasn't Ant-Man pronounced DOA by critics? Now, early reviews are saying it's anything but.

President of the Official Custom Covers Thread RIP James P.Sullivan's Avatar
    Cars 2 had some bum moments, and the overall feel by the end of the film is a bit of a let down, but it also has some smashing action set pieces and stunning atmosphere. The opening in the Pacific Ocean is pure gold dust.
    Complete Score Wishlist

Cars - R. Newman
    The Judge, Adjustment Bureau - T. Newman
    The Commuter - Baños
    S.H.I.E.L.D. - McCreary
    Day After Tomorrow - Kloser
    Witch Mountain - Rabin
    Legend of the Guardians - Hirschfelder
    Maze Runner 1-3 - Paesano

So is Spidey confirmed - officially confirmed - for Civil War, or is that still a rumor?

It's just common to call a film bad if the studio/series/director has had a particular good run of films. I'm just a fan of taking a film on it's own merits and not comparing it to other films. For example: People complained The Dark Knight Rises wasn't as good as The Dark Knight and tried to make it seem the movie was bad because of this. However, The Dark Knight Rises is a pretty great film despite not being as good as The Dark Knight. I just hate how people expect a studio/director to hit the same level of quality with every film. It's impossible, even for studios like Marvel and Pixar. It's just life. I'm an actor, and even though I've given some amazing performances that's no guarantee all of them are going to be equally amazing. It's just impossible.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

So is Spidey confirmed - officially confirmed - for Civil War, or is that still a rumor?
    It's been confirmed by Marvel. They even confirmed Holland had screen tests with Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans before they cast him.

The Internet is rarely a place for reasoned and reasonable arguments and/or discussions. Rather, it's the place to let the Id monsters Hulk out and go on a rampage.

Quote Originally Posted by Killgrave View Post
    However, I will see it. Hollywood and the entertainment media loves to denigrate a film and film makers, especially when they've had success. They're waiting in the wings with their long knives out. I liked, not loved however, Trank's Chronicle, the actors are good and I don't believe in pre-judging a film. Trank might have gotten in over his head with his second film being such an EFX spectacle. (Fox should have put an experienced producer on set to help Trank navigate such a massive production.)
    Would you call Simon Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn, Hutch Parker, Robert Kulzar, Avi Arad and Gregory Goodman inexperienced? He had his pick of the litter with producers and they still didn't like him. Trank left his cats inside a closed set and overnight they caused thousands of dollars in damages. The man constantly kept producers and studio heads out of the loop and on top of that he caused those weird delays. It's not that the pressure was too much, there was a lot but his lack of professionalism and good work ethic let him down here.

And lest we forget, Mad Max:Fury Road was beset with problems and Hollywood called it a failure before Warner released so much as one frame of film. I hope FF will be that sort of pleasant surprise.
    Mad Max, the franchise has been George Miller's baby through and through and he'd been working it for almost a decade before they could make it happen. Although Miller's situation is similar (one huge movie and then meh) but is not the same as Trank's. Trank has one movie, granted it went huge but still it's one movie. Miller's biggest film was a sequel and he made a dozen other films (not as successful and frankly in very weird directions that man went) before helming Fury Road.

P.S. And wasn't Ant-Man pronounced DOA by critics? Now, early reviews are saying it's anything but.
    I still won't believe until I see it. I admit I'll be a little biased going in. The same thing happened with Interstellar, I kept imagining another far better version that could've been.

As far as FF is concerned, I'd totally see it on the first day, it's not that I'll miss it. I intend to watch the crap outta that film someday but considering admittance at movie places these days, I have to conclude that I can't justify spending that money on watching what every trailer and every bit of news has thus far alluded, it's going to be a very forgettable film.

And as always, I hope they prove me wrong.

Neg
    Well I Finally Saw AOU And.... Well It Was No Where Near As Good As Avengers Assemble. And I Am Not Really Excited For Any Man. But Will Have A Look...

Saw Ant-Man last night. Quick spoiler-free review if you're on the fence about it:

Even though the trailers were intriguing and I liked the way development seemed to be going, I had little interest in the final installment of Phase 2. I mean, it's a man who can become small and talk to ants. How can you make an entertaining film about that?

I don't know how, but they did it. The film was essentially flawless in its plot, characters, effects, and dialogue. It's much more humor based like Guardians of the Galaxy, though the humor is a lot more subtle here. It's a different type of funny.

It's easy to surmise from the trailers that the movie is about Ant-Man stopping an evil CEO from misusing the Pym Particle technology. Sounds like Iron Man. Yeah, in a lot of ways the villain of this film is like Obadiah Stane, but that doesn't at all mean that Ant-Man is a ripoff or very predictable. The trailers were also very clever about how much of the plot they showed, and wisely omitted the presence of an unexpected but very welcome character in the film's second act (speaking of trailers, there seemed to be a lot of footage not used in the final cut of the film... hmm...).

I'm not a Beck fan, so the music of this film didn't really stand out to me.

And yes... there are two post-credits scenes, so stay seated during the credits! The first one is pretty cool, but the second one... it is worth the fuckin' wait.

Ant-Man will return in Civil War. And I am pumped, baby.

Neg
    So out of ten how would you place it.....

Ant Man was incredible. It was just a total blast. Say what you will about Marvel, but they know how to make entertaining movies. It's a perfected art by them at this point.

So out of ten how would you place it.....
    A nine, I guess? It didn't blow me away, but it was still very wonderful and a treat after that travesty Age of Ultron.

Also: did anyone catch the Spider-Man reference in the film?

I hope Shane Black watches this film and learns that THIS is how you make a Marvel film that's set post Avengers. Not like what he did in Iron Man 3, which ignored the wider universe at every opportunity (even creating plot problems because of it) barring a few references.

I never knew the comics to Ant Man, but I did hear they were more comedic in nature.
    It looks like a solid comeback for Paul Rudd that doesn't rely on being the background character for gags.
    Back when he was in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I never would have ever imagined him being a super hero later on.

It's great to see comedy super heros.
    A lot of forever-supporting-cast actors are getting their lime light.

President of the Official Custom Covers Thread RIP James P.Sullivan's Avatar
    So encouraged by these reviews!! Looking forward to seeing it someday soon.

And am I to take it that my prediction about Paul Rudd pleasantly surprising us was correct?

How 'bout a magic trick? Jasonjhn8's Avatar
    So, I just got back from seeing Ant-Man! My review would be basically just a mirror of [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. I'll have to let it sink in for awhile before I try to place it amongst the other Marvel Films. It's hard to give it a star rating because sadly the crowd I saw it with was not a "good crowd". The in-your-face funny moments made them laugh, but the more subtle humor seemed to be wasted on them. So even though I liked the film, the overall experience could have been better...

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Also: did anyone catch the Spider-Man reference in the film?
    I did not catch the Spider-Man reference... Could you explain to me please?

Never mind, I googled it.
    Last edited by Jasonjhn8; 07-18-2015 at 01:00 PM.

My blog
    My imgur

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonjhn8 View Post
    The in-your-face funny moments made them laugh, but the more subtle humor seemed to be wasted on them. So even though I liked the film, the overall experience could have been better...
    The place I used to live at was like that.
    Such a boring place to watch movies.

Went to a different theater with different demographics and it was the best experience ever.
    Such lively people.

How 'bout a magic trick? Jasonjhn8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparktank™ 2.1 View Post
    The place I used to live at was like that.
    Such a boring place to watch movies.

Went to a different theater with different demographics and it was the best experience ever.
    Such lively people.
    This theater that I go to is usually very good. But it was weird tonight. First off, the crowd wasn't nearly as big as I expected. And then they just didn't seem into the film that much...