Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 113

Thread: People like FFXIII so much WHY GOD WHY? its the biggest betrayal ever to ff fans

  1. #1
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061

    People like FFXIII so much WHY GOD WHY? its the biggest betrayal ever to ff fans

    Seriously, the story isn't that great.

    I don't see whats that great about it.During the game, most of the time you are just running away from the pulse guards.
    The story of serah isn't interesting, and none of them have redeemable qualities.

    The gameplay is terrible.It plays itself, and caps itself so you can't have options.It doesn't even offer any options for multiple ways to learn magic.dragon age origins has better options for magic, because you can choose to be a master of nature magic, or a master of fire, or ice.In FFXIII its the same thing as previous games.You learn a spell, you use it.Why even have lower level magic? why not have lower level magic disappear when you have fire2? fire1 becomes useless and obsolete.Make fire1 viable at level 99, and ice1 and bolt1.Make all spells useful at level 99 and hard fights so you have to use strategy.Make more customization and power to your character, instead of taking things out.Also:Please give us back the options that we don't automatically lose if one character dies please.I hate that shit so much.Alsoon't heal us after battle, make us use potions instead, so we have to actually think ahead of time before going to a dungeon, like:Oh we are going into a dungeon full of undead things who cast death and paralyze.Better bring lots of remedies to cure paralysis, and pheonix downs.NOPE!! your ailments are instantly cured.

    Add sidequests to do along your main quest.

  2. #2
    Squall vs Cloud Isley Of The North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    94
    None of the previous games require "Lolthinking"

  3. #3
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Isley Of The North View Post
    None of the previous games require "Lolthinking"
    Well:In ff1 you had some strategy, so i reject that.FF4 for an example on the ps1 was a bit harder.in ff1, if you didn't get antidotes, you would die horribly, so yes there is strategy.

    Its way more strategy than FFXIII which doesn't even allow you to use any of the characters except 1.

  4. #4
    Squall vs Cloud Isley Of The North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    94
    If you never fought any of the superbosses in XIII then please shut up.

  5. #5
    jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dromund Kaas
    Posts
    7,077
    @Nostaliga gamer : While I personally do hate XIII (Which I think is pretty much well documented here in another thread in this subforum), be aware you will come under fire from other members here who do like it. Personally, there's only one review of this game I actually do agree with, 110%:

    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    @Isley Of The North : It's all about personal opinion... Nostalgia gamer feels the way they do about FFXIII and has raised points which (in their opinion) are justified. Be a bit more tolerant of that fact next time you respond to a post here please. Oh, and in response to your post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Isley Of The North View Post
    None of the previous games require "Lolthinking"
    I'm sorry, but Final Fantasy Tactics, begs to differ... you HAD to 'think' and use strategy in that game. So your comment about the 'previous' games is flawed. Indeed if one was to take into consideration Final Fantasy XI Online and Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn, as these are three prime examples where one does have to use the grey matter between their ears to get anywhere in the game. Even in the remaining numbered FF titles, while they may follow a somewhat linear path, one still did have to take the time and consider their position for certain fights etc (what spells to use at a given time, items to have on hand etc).


    The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun


    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

  6. #6
    RIP FFShrine: 2001-2010 Olde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,178
    Ooooooooooooookay, Nostalgia gamer, while I agree with you, I don't really get the point of this thread. We've already argued this game's merits and faults into the ground [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Your criticisms aren't anything that haven't been stated there before. And besides, WHO likes FFXIII so much? Every review I've ever read/seen of it rates it at least as sub-par, if not terrible.

    For what it's worth, here's my opinion (again): FFXIII is not a game. It really isn't. It's a CG-movie interspersed with sections where you hold the analog stick forward, press the X button (and occasionally switch roles) during combat to watch the main characters beat up bad guys, go to the Crystarium menu and hold down the X button to level up your shit, and save your progress at a save point. That's it. Now, a real game is something you play, where the player actually has input, can actually influence how the game goes, and the outcomes change depending on various things that the player brings to the table. With FFXIII, all that's required is that the player stay conscious enough to hold down the forward analog stick and either repeatedly press X during battle sequences or hold X down in the Crystarium. Believe me, this piece of shit is much better watched as a movie on YouTube than actually "played"...and the sad thing is, the story isn't even that good to begin with. It's a mediocre, stereotypical "team of young heroes whose fates are thrust upon them have to save the world from an evil power-hungry man-god who wants to destroy everything for some stupid reason and the heroes have to save it by learning the power of love and friendship" story. The ending contradicts the whole point of the story, the "Focus being a hazy image" is idiotic and nonsensical, information is told through text boxes rather than shown through exposition, the battle system is total crap, there's no strategy involved in battle or in leveling up characters/weapons, I could go on and on (and look, I didn't even pull the linearity card!).

    If you want to see my personal favorite reviews of this game, look no further than Zero Punctuation (cited by Darth Revan), as well as [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    Last edited by Olde; 09-25-2013 at 12:28 AM.

  7. #7
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Olde View Post
    Ooooooooooooookay, Nostalgia gamer, while I agree with you, I don't really get the point of this thread. We've already argued this game's merits and faults into the ground [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Your criticisms aren't anything that haven't been stated there before. And besides, WHO likes FFXIII so much? Every review I've ever read/seen of it rates it at least as sub-par, if not terrible.

    For what it's worth, here's my opinion (again): FFXIII is not a game. It really isn't. It's a CG-movie interspersed with sections where you hold the analog stick forward, press the X button (and occasionally switch roles) during combat to watch the main characters beat up bad guys, go to the Crystarium menu and hold down the X button to level up your shit, and save your progress at a save point. That's it. Now, a real game is something you play, where the player actually has input, can actually influence how the game goes, and the outcomes change depending on various things that the player brings to the table. With FFXIII, all that's required is that the player stay conscious enough to hold down the forward analog stick and either repeatedly press X during battle sequences or hold X down in the Crystarium. Believe me, this piece of shit is much better watched as a movie on YouTube than actually "played"...and the sad thing is, the story isn't even that good to begin with. It's a mediocre, stereotypical "team of young heroes whose fates are thrust upon them have to save the world from an evil power-hungry man-god who wants to destroy everything for some stupid reason and the heroes have to save it by learning the power of love and friendship" story. The ending contradicts the whole point of the story, the "Focus being a hazy image" is idiotic and nonsensical, information is told through text boxes rather than shown through exposition, the battle system is total crap, there's no strategy involved in battle or in leveling up characters/weapons, I could go on and on (and look, I didn't even pull the linearity card!).

    If you want to see my personal favorite reviews of this game, look no further than Zero Punctuation (cited by Darth Revan), as well as [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    On another forum, there were people overrating FFXIII by saying it has a better story than even ff6, when its characters are terrible.Another one is what you mentioned about the cyrstarium.I personally don't like the crystarium either.I want a bit more customization.I argued that ff tactics had customization and allowed you more room for strategy, but FFXIII is about dumbing it down.

    Don't even get me started on those crappy quests.Its 60 fetch quests that are quite easy and that is it.At least FFXII had a lot more quests.And you want to talk about linear grindy games? This game is worse than ultima 3 in the big grind.ultima 3 was tedious, well FFXIII is even worse.Farming orichalcum or whatever it was called, and platinum bars is about as boring as it gets.Gone are the days where you have rare hunts and rare drops.Chrono trigger is a much better game than FFXIII, and i mean a lot better.

    Don't get me started on the horrible characters.

    I liked the villain, but i don't care for any of the characters.

    I would give FFXIII a 4 or 5 out of 10.

  8. #8
    RIP FFShrine: 2001-2010 Olde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    On another forum, there were people overrating FFXIII by saying it has a better story than even ff6, when its characters are terrible.
    So you have a problem with the posts on another forum altogether and then spill your frustration about it here? Sounds to me like you should be directing your criticisms toward that forum. This just seems like a very misdirected and unprompted thread. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I fail to see the point.

    Personally, I think you have to not let other people work you up so much. So other forum members said they liked XIII's characters and story over VI's. Who cares? You're not going to change anybody's minds. And besides, they might just be trolls, so I say just ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRay View Post
    Oh, now i get it...

    Your Posts aren't meant to be ironic... You actually think you're funny....
    I fucking hate FFShrine.

  9. #9
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    I just don't get the love this game has.What really bugs me, is that fans are that ignorant? they take away gameplay by making it an interactive movie and that is alright? The game is mostly a linear pathway and that is fine? and the characters don't change all that much and that is fine?

    squeenix had to come out with XIII-2 to just fix the problems FFXIII had, like shops and towns and more variation.

  10. #10
    Grand Shriner Sheechiibii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    115
    Some people like different types of games to the ones you like. That's not wrong. I think XIII is absolute rubbish, but I certainly wouldn't say people who like it are ignorant. They just like something I don't. You have to remember that it's only your opinion that the gameplay and story and characters aren't well done, other people will look at the same things a lot differently.

  11. #11
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    Some people like different types of games to the ones you like. That's not wrong. I think XIII is absolute rubbish, but I certainly wouldn't say people who like it are ignorant. They just like something I don't. You have to remember that it's only your opinion that the gameplay and story and characters aren't well done, other people will look at the same things a lot differently.
    But its something that takes away from gameplay more than adds, which is why i complain about it.Like:FF tactics has more than one way to win a fight.In ff6 there is a ton more ways to win a fight than FFXIII, even ff7.FF7 has the materia system and adds lots of ways to kill sephiroth.FF8 has some strategies itself, but not as many as ff7 ff tactics or ff6.

    What way do you have to win in FFXIII? 1 way:You spam your highest level spells and try not to die by healing and resurrecting your characters.How does that merit a high score?
    A game should add lots of replayability and lots of customization.

  12. #12
    Grand Shriner Sheechiibii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    115
    It's your opinion that a game should add lots of re-playability and customization. I like that stuff to, but not everyone does and it's not wrong for them to have a different opinion. Maybe they find it has re-playability because of the story? I think most people who do like the game like it for the story.

  13. #13
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    It's your opinion that a game should add lots of re-playability and customization. I like that stuff to, but not everyone does and it's not wrong for them to have a different opinion. Maybe they find it has re-playability because of the story? I think most people who do like the game like it for the story.
    The story is lackluster though.Characters like hope make me never want to play another final fantasy ever again.He is probably the most annoying character i have ever come across in final fantasy.More than the sephiroth cloud fanboys, more than cait sith and quina, and more so than tidus.I can bear all these characters, but hope's prepubescent grating voice, and his annoying whiny emo character makes me wish i could kill him.

    Vanille i can handle, but she is a replica of selphie in a lot of ways, and that irritates me.
    Snow not only has a dumb name, but his character at the beginning is quite irritating because of how arrogant he is.It just irritates me just how so sure of himself he is, that he is willing to jump head first into a crocodiles mouth without thinking.

  14. #14
    Grand Shriner Sheechiibii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    115
    But it's your opinion that they're lackluster. Others have a different opinion, and that's a good thing. If we all liked the same things there'd be no variation in the world. I can't defend FFXIII's characters or story because frankly it's the worst game I've ever played and I didn't like any of the characters or the storyline. But I don't think people who did enjoy it are wrong, and I loved the sequel. It's all up to personal preference is what I'm saying. You can't be wrong for liking something or disliking something.

  15. #15
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    But it's your opinion that they're lackluster. Others have a different opinion, and that's a good thing. If we all liked the same things there'd be no variation in the world. I can't defend FFXIII's characters or story because frankly it's the worst game I've ever played and I didn't like any of the characters or the storyline. But I don't think people who did enjoy it are wrong, and I loved the sequel. It's all up to personal preference is what I'm saying. You can't be wrong for liking something or disliking something.
    Sure they are allowed to like something, but i question how they can like something that takes away so much.If you are a fan of ff789, then you would remember the gameplay and story and exploration.Its just that if we let games like FFXIII continue on to lower quality, the series will cease to exist this way.I do care about the series, because i grew up on it, and i don't want to dislike an ff game.I tried to like FFXIII, i really did, but the game didn't grow on me.

    The reason i don't trust kids, is because kids lack experience.For anyone new to a final fantasy, this would be a new experience to them, but not a great example of final fantasy at its best.You have to remember that this was also about exploration and immersion, and the game is more about cutscenes and graphics show than it is about gameplay or immersion.You aren't even allowed to stray the path during the first 5 chapters, and forced to walk in a straight line.

    I can forgive some games, because they give you actual options, but FFXIII gives me none.It also abandons its roots mostly and become a sort of pariah or black sheep of the series.FFVIII was that way because it was different, but at least it gave you more options for an rpg.Chrono trigger ds has cutscenes, but there are only a couple, so it doesn't break the immersion.

    You might as well have one 1.000-1.000 cube box which is empty, because you can't really interact with the land.No matter how much you pretty it up, it won't make up for the lack of gameplay or immersion.

    Videogames need gameplay as a first and story second, because without gameplay you have a movie, and i really don't think game directors are on level with movie directors, at least not the japanese ones.

    Books can get away with having all character development and story, because its a book, but not everything can get away with the same things.

    Movies for an example are very expensive, and you often can't fill the movies with all the characters, because it would simply be too long, expensive.Books contain a huge amount of detail in their pages, and its hard to translate that into movies.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 09-27-2013 at 03:17 AM.

  16. #16
    Grand Shriner Sheechiibii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    115
    It's one bad game in amongst a lot of good games. I wouldn't say it's dragging the series down until this is a common thing. I loved FFXIII-2, I actually enjoyed it more than FFVII (which isn't one of my most favoured games in the series). I have no reason to believe that we won't get more great FF games, just on the basis of one bad one. Not all the people who like XIII are new to the FF series, many have played a lot of the other games, and still like XIII. Every FF game is different, that's one of the great things about the series. You don't have to forgive FFXIII - I certainly don't. But you also don't have to put others down for liking it.

    There's no need to tell me how bad XIII is, I know. I played it once all the way through, and then actually tried to play it again to give it another chance a few years later, but couldn't stand it. But I'm not right for disliking it any more than someone else is wrong for liking it. We all have different opinions, and some people like XIII and that's fine. I don't think it's detrimental to the series at all. Until there are more games being made like XIII I can't agree that it's taking away from the franchise. People loathed FFVIII when it came out, it was infamous as being absolute garbage, yet I love it, and a lot of other people love it. The FF series does something different with every new title, new story, new gameplay, new characters. Some people love some of the games more than others, none of them are right or wrong for that.

  17. #17
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,273
    NG:
    The thing I find confusing is your insistence on bashing this game and pointing out the problems you see in it, when a well received sequel exists that corrected most of the things you're complaining about. I mean, how much more is there to say? If the game annoys you so much, either try the sequel to see if they took such criticisms on board, or leave it alone. You claim to hate the game, but you write more about this game than anyone on this entire forum! If people were endlessly posting threads about how much they loved it and anyone who thought otherwise were morons, then I could understand. But they aren't, so what's the point here? I don't like FF10 but I don't start dozens of threads on the FF board saying 'I still hate FF10 for these reasons I gave in the other half a dozen threads where I was complaining about it'.

    You don't like it, and you're entitled to your opinion. So long as you realize that its only your opinion and not fact, no matter how often you say it or how you phrase it, I think we all get it and are fine with that. So let's move on, eh?

    On a wider note, I take real issue with the statement 'Games need gameplay first and story second' in this context. I couldn't give a damn how most RPGs play - I play them for the story and characters. If an RPG's system is good then that's great, but if it isn't then I really don't care in the slightest. I've played through the Shin Megami Tensei games, with their relentless encounter rates that put you into battle after a couple of steps, that also have the 'leader dies, games over' mechanic, and have regular enemies with instant death spells etc etc). But I played them and enjoyed them, because I loved the strange atmosphere and stories of those games.

    But if an RPG has a bad story and characters, then it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is - I'm out (or at least will trudge through the game on mental autopilot, taking little interest in anything). Tales of Graces has the best battle system of the Tales series, but it also has the least interesting world, with the most annoying characters and the worst story. Ergo, its my least favorite by far of the Tales series.

    I find it fanciful in the extreme that anyone would claim people played FF7, 8 and 9 for their gameplay (FF8 particularly - I love that game, but I really, really don't love its system). And come on, exploration in FF7, 8 and 9? The only time you can explore is towards the end, when you have the airships. Up until then, you either can't explore, or are free to roam small sections of the World Map that have no locations of interest. Case in point - Final Fantasy 7. Until you get to at least the section with the Tiny Bronco, you can visit precisely one side location - Fort Condor. Where can you go in Final Fantasy 9 before you get the ship - to a couple of one screen 'closed gatehouse' locations that might have a chest with a potion or something. Big thrills!
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 09-27-2013 at 09:58 PM.

  18. #18
    RIP FFShrine: 2001-2010 Olde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    You don't like it, and you're entitled to your opinion. So long as you realize that its only your opinion and not fact, no matter how often you say it or how you phrase it, I think we all get it and are fine with that. So let's move on, eh?
    Seconded.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    On a wider note, I take real issue with the statement 'Games need gameplay first and story second' in this context. I couldn't give a damn how most RPGs play - I play them for the story and characters. If an RPG's system is good then that's great, but if it isn't then I really don't care in the slightest. But if an RPG has a bad story and characters, then it doesn't matter how good the gameplay is - I'm out (or at least will trudge through the game on mental autopilot, taking little interest in anything).
    That's interesting, because for me personally, if the gameplay is lousy or even if I just can't get into it, I can't play the game. It matters as much if not more than the story. Now, I wouldn't say that I necessarily play games with terrible stories just because I like the gameplay, but it's a really important factor for me. When you think about it, those are the portions that ostensibly have the most input from the player. Unless it's one of a very small handful of RPGs, the story is set in stone and you're basically either there being immersed in it and having it revealed to you, or (as in FF13) you're just along for the ride. I don't think I've ever been blown away by a story in terms of plot, but I get invested in a plot because of the characters, and part of getting in touch with the characters is playing their role, and that's done through the gameplay. I can't conceive of playing any series whose gameplay I can't get into. That's the reason I gave up on FF13; conversely, it's the reason I played through FFX-2 multiple times, the gameplay was just that good in my opinion, even though the story was ass.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    I find it fanciful in the extreme that anyone would claim people played FF7, 8 and 9 for their gameplay (FF8 particularly - I love that game, but I really, really don't love its system).
    I thought we were friends...lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    And come on, exploration in FF7, 8 and 9? The only time you can explore is towards the end, when you have the airships. Up until then, you either can't explore, or are free to roam small sections of the World Map that have no locations of interest. Case in point - Final Fantasy 7. Until you get to at least the section with the Tiny Bronco, you can visit precisely one side location - Fort Condor. Where can you go in Final Fantasy 9 before you get the ship - to a couple of one screen 'closed gatehouse' locations that might have a chest with a potion or something. Big thrills!
    It's been ages since I've played FF9, but I will say that you're given comparably much more freedom from the get-go with FF7 and 8. For me, a lot of it had to do with being able to go level up on whatever enemies I wanted, to explore the terrain, and to get immersed in the world. These, for me, are crucially important in conveying a sense of scope, environment, and urgency. Freedom of movement not only puts the player in control (giving him/her a sense of input) and allows the player to revisit old places to get more insight into the world, exploring different parts, and having fun doing different things. Couldn't you go back to the Gold Saucer in FF7 before the Tiny Bronco? My memory's fuzzy. In any case, FF13 doesn't do any of those things. Not even close. Not only does it not give you anything to do besides go forward in the Hallway, it doesn't give you a reason to care about Coccoon; you might as well see it blow up. In fact, you might actually be inclined to advocate its destruction, given that regular people are like complicit Germans in the 1930s and 40s, who refused to stand up for Jews and actually felt it was a good thing to send them to their deaths as they were forcibly led onto trains. What I mean is that you're given no reason to be on either the side of Lightning & co. or the regular brainwashed masses.

    One just has no idea who these characters are, or, equally importantly, where the characters are, as we have no reference point of what Cocoon actually is (and even now I don't really know what it is) because the environments are sporadic, random, disjointed, and fail to invest one in the story. So even forgetting about the gameplay, FF13 fails to deliver in even the most basic of story elements: immersion. You'd agree, Vrykolas, that we need to get invested in the characters, environment, and story. If you don't know why Cocoon is worth saving/destroying, why continue with the story at all? So this is a very convoluted way of getting around to my point, that I disagree with what you're saying about FF7, 8, and 9. In those games, you had the freedom to take your characters to different places and the game immersed you in the world. Speaking not only for myself, but also for the myriad of fans these games have garnered, players got invested in the worlds, the characters, the stories. Now, 7, 8, or 9 might not have as much freedom as other RPGs, and I'm sure you can immediately think of many that have more. But I think we would agree that there's much more immersion in them than in 13.

    So in keeping with Vrykolas's and Sheechiibii's theme, I'll just say that everybody has a slightly different take on it. From what I've heard, FF13 was meant to appeal to Japanese gamers, who obviously come from a very different culture and have very different expectations from a game and from a story. So I suppose it wasn't entirely conceived of as needing to appeal to a Western sense of narrative. It also has some hallmarks of current trends in gaming (the "Retry" option invariably functions as a "Respawn," etc.) probably to appeal to a younger crowd. If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. And it certainly isn't mine. So Nostalgia gamer, while we might not necessarily agree with why someone thinks it's a good game, we can't change their opinions about it. All we can do is show them our evidence and speak for ourselves.

  19. #19
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    It's been ages since I've played FF9, but I will say that you're given comparably much more freedom from the get-go with FF7 and 8. For me, a lot of it had to do with being able to go level up on whatever enemies I wanted, to explore the terrain, and to get immersed in the world. These, for me, are crucially important in conveying a sense of scope, environment, and urgency. Freedom of movement not only puts the player in control (giving him/her a sense of input) and allows the player to revisit old places to get more insight into the world, exploring different parts, and having fun doing different things. Couldn't you go back to the Gold Saucer in FF7 before the Tiny Bronco? My memory's fuzzy. In any case, FF13 doesn't do any of those things. Not even close. Not only does it not give you anything to do besides go forward in the Hallway, it doesn't give you a reason to care about Coccoon; you might as well see it blow up. In fact, you might actually be inclined to advocate its destruction, given that regular people are like complicit Germans in the 1930s and 40s, who refused to stand up for Jews and actually felt it was a good thing to send them to their deaths as they were forcibly led onto trains. What I mean is that you're given no reason to be on either the side of Lightning & co. or the regular brainwashed masses.

    One just has no idea who these characters are, or, equally importantly, where the characters are, as we have no reference point of what Cocoon actually is (and even now I don't really know what it is) because the environments are sporadic, random, disjointed, and fail to invest one in the story. So even forgetting about the gameplay, FF13 fails to deliver in even the most basic of story elements: immersion. You'd agree, Vrykolas, that we need to get invested in the characters, environment, and story. If you don't know why Cocoon is worth saving/destroying, why continue with the story at all? So this is a very convoluted way of getting around to my point, that I disagree with what you're saying about FF7, 8, and 9. In those games, you had the freedom to take your characters to different places and the game immersed you in the world. Speaking not only for myself, but also for the myriad of fans these games have garnered, players got invested in the worlds, the characters, the stories. Now, 7, 8, or 9 might not have as much freedom as other RPGs, and I'm sure you can immediately think of many that have more. But I think we would agree that there's much more immersion in them than in 13.

    So in keeping with Vrykolas's and Sheechiibii's theme, I'll just say that everybody has a slightly different take on it. From what I've heard, FF13 was meant to appeal to Japanese gamers, who obviously come from a very different culture and have very different expectations from a game and from a story. So I suppose it wasn't entirely conceived of as needing to appeal to a Western sense of narrative. It also has some hallmarks of current trends in gaming (the "Retry" option invariably functions as a "Respawn," etc.) probably to appeal to a younger crowd. If it's not your cup of tea, then it's not your cup of tea. And it certainly isn't mine. So Nostalgia gamer, while we might not necessarily agree with why someone thinks it's a good game, we can't change their opinions about it. All we can do is show them our evidence and speak for ourselves.[/QUOTE]

    This last part you mentioned olde, that is what i was talking about.Part of a great game is adventure of being able to immerse yourself in the story by slowly absorbing the story.It not only makes the story better in the way its developed, it gives a sense of freedom.
    The thing is:Rpgs aren't books.You do need lots of gameplay, and even if ff games are more about story than gameplay, i imagine it is also hard to balance that out.I heard that FFXII story isn't so good either, but it concentrates more on gameplay aspect.I liked a lot of the snes games because the story was focused and it still had time for gameplay, like lufia.The story is nothing to ride home about, because it was about as simplistic as it gets.I like a complex story too when its focused.Focus isn't FFXIII's problem, rather the characters.I could follow FFXIII just fine.Its the characters which don't seem to change from the psx and snes era and seem still like arch types.I don't see any real risks being taken in the characters.

    On the other hand:I do love parasite eve, and it is very linear, but man that game was amazing.It was because of the story and character though.

  20. #20
    Grand Shriner Sheechiibii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    115
    "You do need lots of gameplay" - yes, you do. But not everyone does. Vrykolas doesn't place as much worth on gameplay as story, but Olde does. I'm kind of in the middle, if a game has a great story and characters, then even if the gameplay isn't good I'll still love it (Enchanted Arms), on the other hand if the story is lacking but the gameplay is great I'll still love it (FFXII). But I think if I had to chose I'd chose story every time. Basically, it's not a requirement for games to have lots of gameplay, it's not something they need to be successful, because not every gamer will care about the gameplay if they're given a story they really enjoy.

  21. #21
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheechiibii View Post
    "You do need lots of gameplay" - yes, you do. But not everyone does. Vrykolas doesn't place as much worth on gameplay as story, but Olde does. I'm kind of in the middle, if a game has a great story and characters, then even if the gameplay isn't good I'll still love it (Enchanted Arms), on the other hand if the story is lacking but the gameplay is great I'll still love it (FFXII). But I think if I had to chose I'd chose story every time. Basically, it's not a requirement for games to have lots of gameplay, it's not something they need to be successful, because not every gamer will care about the gameplay if they're given a story they really enjoy.
    I too am in between, but i just haven't found a story that really blows me away in ff series lately.The game that to me had the best character development in a jrpg recent, is from myst walker's lost odyssey.The character development was brilliant for kaim, and made me want to skip all other aspects just to eagerly read the next flashback.It had real effect on me like no other final fantasy of recent, with exception of jecht in FFX who i grew to respect, and yuna and braska.Something about jecht really brought home to me, because i can imagine people like jecht existing.That very macho type tough guy who is good at heart, but a bit of a fool and rough on his son.

    With FFXIII though, i didn't feel anything click at all.I couldn't get myself to care about anyone in FFXIII.I almost liked cid for a while, because i saw cid was subjected to rule from the fal'cie king, and he was a l'cie, but he kept on attacking the heroes over and over, and that seemed dumb to me.Cid should have run away.And that is why FFXIII never did anything for me.The gameplay and story and characters didn't do anything for me, so in the end:What is left? the music? graphics? The big enemies are well designed btw.I did like the design of the really huge enemies and fighting them, and that is why i generally don't like FFXIII, and many others as well.There are some though who like the gameplay aspect.I suppose in an environment where you have to repeatedly fight the same enemies in turn base, it would have made a bigger difference, but ff6 is fast paced as well as ff7.I do like the fast pace of ff6 and ff7, and FF4 adds auto attack mode to for all the random battles, but it hardly matters, because you won't really fight much aside from a few enemies for leveling and questing.

  22. #22
    Shriner
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    73
    I don't get why you're so against people having their own opinion? You hate FFXIII, congrats, so do most people. And if this was just a thread about why you hate it so much then that would be fine. But instead you're criticising people because they enjoy a game that you do not.

    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and if you can't handle that on a FORUM site, then you're going to be finding yourself upset and wound up quite often.

    EDIT: Also this part "I almost liked cid for a while, because i saw cid was subjected to rule from the fal'cie king, and he was a l'cie, but he kept on attacking the heroes over and over, and that seemed dumb to me.Cid should have run away." Either makes you look like a massive troll, or you simply didn't understand the game.

  23. #23
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    I understood the game perfectly fine, i just thought it was a lousy game and don't understand the massive amount of praise it gets.Its another ff7, except worse since all the previous games were better games overall.

  24. #24
    Shriner
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgia gamer View Post
    I understood the game perfectly fine, i just thought it was a lousy game and don't understand the massive amount of praise it gets.Its another ff7, except worse since all the previous games were better games overall.
    Then you should understand why it was not possible for Cid Raines to just run away...

    I still don't know where you're getting this information that FFXIII is highly praised, even comparing it to FFVII. FFXIII has been almost universally panned by Final Fantasy fans and is often referred to as the worst game so far in the franchise. A few people actually enjoying the game is not a "massive amount of praise."

  25. #25
    Grand Shriner
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    New Raccoon city
    Posts
    1,061
    Look there are some games i can understand some of the praise.FFX, ff8, ff9.Sure there are things i don't like about ff8, and there are things that piss me off.

    FFXIII i cannot understand for the life of me what people see in it.There are many rpgs that offer more in terms of story,gameplay and replay value.Heck, i'm playing right now etrian odyssey, and think its an interesting and enjoyable game.And lost odyssey has better characters than FFXIII and better gameplay, and its gameplay is still flawed.What pisses me off the most, is the linear gameplay and characters.I paid 60 bucks to see if this game is any good, and that is one heck of an investment.It wasn't worth it.

    FFXIII-2? i only played the demo, and it seemed ok but i'm not taking a risk anymore.Fuck final fantasy.I'm waiting many years till i can see trailers and gameplay footage after its over, and if i don't like it, i'm not buying it ever, and that is why it enrages me so much.it pains me to see the series go downhill.The handheld remakes seem ok, but i don't trust the console games from squeenix.

    I didn't mean to turn this into an insult fest towards FFXIII fans, its just that my reaction to people calling this game best game ever or better than ff6.I just don't understand how people can like those shallow dull characters.
    Last edited by Nostalgia gamer; 09-28-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •