Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: First RPG?

Marceline

First RPG?

Which game was the one to introduce you into the world of rpgs?

The first rpg that I ever played was Final Fantasy I. I didn't beat it until later, when I was a little older though.

The first rpg that I ever beat was FFIV, as FFII on the SNES.

The rpg that really made me fall in love with rpgs and gaming in general though, was FFVI.

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to hb smokey's Avatar
    The first RPG that I can remember playing was FFIV/FFII. I was a simple child then, so I decided to give it a try. And I was pleased that I did.

I'm not sure but it was either:

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of TIme

or

Final Fantasy Tactics

It depends on wether or not you consider Zelda to be an rpg.

I'm a late bloomer when it comes to rpg's, I've been playing videogames since before I knew how to speak, but I only played realtime strategy, flight sims, FPS's, racing, etc. I basically avoided rpg's because I didn't understand them, or didn't bother to understand them, Final Fntasy tactics was the furthest I went in an rpg, and Zelda wasn't turn-based, so I played the whole way through.

I was introduced to final fantasy VERY slowy. Final Fantasy Tactics was the first one I played, I got my hands on a demo of xenogears, and I used to watch somebody play FFIX (don't remember who)

When I was officially introduced to squaresoft and knew very well that this was final fantasy... it was 10, I rented it, loved it and was compelled to try the older games made by squaresoft, I went backwards and played FF1, FF6, FF4, FF5, FF9, and FF7, with chrono trigger, chrono cross, and xenogears all thrown in there, I know it happened over a years worth of time but I'm a huge square fan now.

EDIT: whoa, didn't mean to type my videogame's, life story, guess it all just kinda rolled off my tongue.

Mine was Secret of Mana. Ahh, how I love that game. I was introduced to it in the forth grade and fell in love with gereral RPGs. The second I played was Final Fantasy VII. I can't remember what the next ones were, but Chrono Trigger was in their somewhere ^_^

Grand Shriner
    It was Dragon Quest 3, I loved it cause it got a lot of stuff to do a part from main story and even after finishing the game, the story and its battle system are pretty simple though.

What took me into the rpg world was definitely FF7, after finishing this game I started playing RPG games mainly.

pedo mc tax me softly, black person (whom i love)'s Avatar
    Mine was a really old text-based role-playing game on an apple computer based in the Sherlock Holmes world. You played as Watson, trying to make your way through the story with absolutely no help whatsoever.

But you could ask Holmes for help occasionally, and he'd tell you what to do, with snappy british-humor retorts.

And if you did something to kill anyone, there was always a funny little line about how it was a bad idea.

And if you killed Holmes himself, the cop that arrested you would say something like "There has been many a time I've wanted to do that myself, but I've still got to arrest you."

Hilarious.

First RPG I played was Secret of Mana, even though I didn't really think of it as an RPG back then. Other than that, the first one for me was Super Mario RPG.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Oh that's right, Super Mario RPG is the first one I played knowing well that it was an rpg, because the game was so easy and simple I easily learned about exp points, leveling up, turn-based, etc.

Marceline
    Originally posted by Odin
    Mine was a really old text-based role-playing game on an apple computer based in the Sherlock Holmes world. You played as Watson, trying to make your way through the story with absolutely no help whatsoever.

But you could ask Holmes for help occasionally, and he'd tell you what to do, with snappy british-humor retorts.

And if you did something to kill anyone, there was always a funny little line about how it was a bad idea.

And if you killed Holmes himself, the cop that arrested you would say something like "There has been many a time I've wanted to do that myself, but I've still got to arrest you."

Hilarious.
    That game sounds pretty awesome.

I wish that there was a way I could play it. =/

Mine was I think FF1 on the NES. I played that when I was 4.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Originally posted by Odin
    Mine was a really old text-based role-playing game on an apple computer based in the Sherlock Holmes world.
    Dang... That's about as old school as you can get. Mine was a similar game I played on a really old Tandy computer called Bedlam. The point of it was to escape from a mental hospital.

My very first RPG was Final Fantasy VII.
    Check out my Resident Evil & Silent Hill Quote Quiz:

breath of fire, I thought it was a great game, until I played ff6, that really got me hooked on rpgs..
    Dammit! Flonne's still alive. Ah, she's a worthy adversary. I must plan a suitable defense against her evil machinations! Should take me...ohh... about eight chapters or so...-Vulcanus

-Gustave2001

The first RPG I played was Super Mario RPG for the super Nes. I really liked Mario games and this one was no exception. Unfortuneatly I was so wrapped up in this game I never picked up the older FF's.
    Tch, Fine--Zell Dincht of FFVIII

My first real RPG (with levelling, experience, equipment and stuff) was Final Fantasy VII.

I was brought up on text and graphic adventures though - from humble beginnings like Zork through to LucasArts' legendary SCUMM games. Monkey Island 1 & 2 rock my world.

Yeah, storyline's always been the most important thing for me.

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network ID: RaidenexS
    Steam Community ID: Raidensoul

Originally posted by Raidenex

Yeah, storyline's always been the most important thing for me.
    BUT YOU LIKED STAR FOX ADVENTURES AND NOT OCARINA OF TIME. =\

My first RPG was Shining Force 2 on the Megadrive. I remember renting it for a week and getting stuck at this one bit. Then I found it in a shop for sale and snapped it up with little thought. I got to that same bit and was still stuck until I realised where the item that I needed was. Then I pwned it.

I loved Shining Force 2.

Originally posted by Terry-kun

BUT YOU LIKED STAR FOX ADVENTURES AND NOT OCARINA OF TIME. =\
    Exactly. Because Star Fox Adventures had cool characters and situations (Fox McCloud is the best character Rare has ever produced), while Ocarina was 'OMG LET'S RESCUE ZELDA AGAIN!!!11'.

You see my point.

It's my birthday and I'll cry if I want to hb smokey's Avatar
    Star Fox 64 > all other Star Fox games.

Originally posted by Raidenex

Exactly. Because Star Fox Adventures had cool characters and situations (Fox McCloud is the best character Rare has ever produced), while Ocarina was 'OMG LET'S RESCUE ZELDA AGAIN!!!11'.

You see my point.

There is no point there to see. You are just crazy. That's all. =\

Fox McCloud isn't even a Rare character. =\

Also: crazy.

I played some old text/adventure games, but those weren't RPGs, so... I don't actually remember what my first RPG was.

I got Final Fantasy around the time it came out, but I remember knowing what type of game it was and I got it because I already had an interest in them . Back then I called them "Walk around and talk to people in towns" games.

hmm... I know I played it before FF, and since it's one of the best games ever and sorta RPG-ish, I'll say: THE GUARDIAN LEGEND!!!
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

pedo mc tax me softly, black person (whom i love)'s Avatar
    If I could remember the name of that old Text RPG, Mandi, I'd tell you what it was and such.

But as it is, I don't remember.

All I can remember is that it was on one of those old 5 1/4" floppies and ran on one of those old Apple II computers (one of those deals where it was monitor, keyboard and floppy drive all in one piece. No hard drive whatsoever) at the daycare I was at many moons ago. I was the weird kid reading the computer game on the Apple instead of playing Super Mario Bros. on the NES for the thousandth time like the other kids.

And rezo, were any of those games set in London, with ol' Sherlock Holmes?

My first RPG was secrets of mana, and my second was FF3 (I never played 1 and 2)
    Screw you guys i'm going home

A.K.A.
    Duck -(gtaforums.com)

Onion Kid
    Secret of Mana but.... my brother sold that game!
    What was he thinking?

i had Ys on the master system when i was about 9 y/o.