Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chrono Trigger: best RPG ever?

*___*
    worthy of being deemed as a masterpiece imo

Shriner
    to many plot holes dealing with the time travel. explained to a friend one day about how much i felt that the time travel seemed to be done in the wrong direction, and that if it would have been done a different way, i would not have had any issue. apart from my severe issue with the time travel issues, everything else about the game was lots of fun.

also, my main issue w/ time travel in this game, was b/c of an instance in the very beggining dealing w/ the missing princess or queen, and how that whole event played out. it was something dealing w/ how it affected the "altered future" that set the precedent, for how it should have been the whole game, and the game did not stick by it, but rather seemed to change how effects in the past changed the future. time travel would have been fine if they did not change the way it worked after the first time travel scene, if it stayed on that cause/effect basis, i would have enjoyed the rest of the game more.

Shriner
    No.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Inglorion55 View Post
    to many plot holes dealing with the time travel. explained to a friend one day about how much i felt that the time travel seemed to be done in the wrong direction, and that if it would have been done a different way, i would not have had any issue. apart from my severe issue with the time travel issues, everything else about the game was lots of fun.

also, my main issue w/ time travel in this game, was b/c of an instance in the very beginning dealing w/ the missing princess or queen, and how that whole event played out. it was something dealing w/ how it affected the "altered future" that set the precedent, for how it should have been the whole game, and the game did not stick by it, but rather seemed to change how effects in the past changed the future. time travel would have been fine if they did not change the way it worked after the first time travel scene, if it stayed on that cause/effect basis, i would have enjoyed the rest of the game more.
    What you said there actually implies that they were consistent. The first example was cause and effect, and the second, while you can call it effects in the past, they are causes in the future.

Or maybe my logic is flawed and I should stop now.

Shriner
    I would probably call this my most favorite RPG (maybe even game in general) of all times, yes.

But hoooooo boy, does Xenoblade ever come close.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvermistshadow View Post
    What you said there actually implies that they were consistent. The first example was cause and effect, and the second, while you can call it effects in the past, they are causes in the future.

Or maybe my logic is flawed and I should stop now.
    to me, they switched up entirely how they had the cuase/effect worked from the first moment, which is why it bothered me.

I'm currently playing through this now on the DS, and it's good, but hasn't got me raving about it yet. Just got Frog and Ayla back, so I don't know if it's supposed to pick up later on

Chrono Trigger is not the best rpg its the best game ever. I have played many RPGs, not all of them by any stretch but quite a few.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

VGM addict from Chile flacodoom's Avatar
    Yes... IS THE BEST
    and not for me... SUPER MARIO PRG is the best for my

and in the PC
    TES3: Morrowind I'd was like six months playing it almost every day!

I can't say it's the best RPG, but I can say it's certainly the best I have ever played. It even tops Final Fantasy VII. It's games like Chrono Trigger that make me jealous of the generation that played SNES. I don't see how they didn't explode from the goodness in those days.

I Am The One They Call: Meowth Mixer Tanis's Avatar
    Nah, it's a classic - but I enjoy Chrono Cross more.

Onion Kid
    Mario RPG was great. Who didn't love Geno? And Bowser as a mighty ally to do good? I liked Chrono Trigger, but I didn't know there were multiple endings and neither did I know you could get magus until a couple months ago. The game never really stuck to me as awesome. It was nice to play and was fun, but it felt lackluster to me in some ways as a game. Idk, maybe I was too young to understand Chrono Trigger enough to enjoy it a lot. Now if we start talking about Chrono Cross, oh man is that game fun and stuff.

Grand Shriner

best rpg? one of them i think

This is definitely high on the list of best games in my opinion.

Gameplay is superb with the pacing,the amount of worlds to explore and how you effect time is just so much fun that you can pick it up over and over and get so many different stuff.

I love exploring the prehistoria and 600 ad.

The music is also amazing as well:some fo the saddest pieces of music and most memorable leaving this warm feeling.

Its literally a lullaby and an amazing theme to end the game with a sort of bittersweet feeling.

To a relaxing theme like [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I absolutely love this theme and sometimes will sit and wait just so i can listen to it.

To the saddest music i have seen in gaming along with dark world in ff6

This game evokes a lot of feeling,i think more so than some other games.

I personally think the ds version is even better in chrono trigger because i think you got access to more endings making it have even higher replay value.

you know my username and my avatar arent related Mercenary Raven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inglorion55 View Post
    to me, they switched up entirely how they had the cuase/effect worked from the first moment, which is why it bothered me.
    All the weirdness can be explained by "the entity affected it." You think about it, and if they didn't see Marle, they wouldn't have pissed off the guy (I forget his name) enough to be branded traitor and sent to the future and stop Lavos.

I usually have trouble choosing favorites, but, when it comes to video games, Chrono Trigger, without a doubt, is my favorite video game of all time. It has a certain charm that I'm still not able to describe. I usually don't replay many games, but I probably replay Chrono Trigger once a year.

Chrono Trigger may be the best RPG, and if not, its up to the standards of FFVI and Super Mario RPG back than.
    YouTube Page: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    one of the greats