Page 1 of 17 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Metroid Prime Trilogy Remaster Project in FLAC - Official Release

Grand Shriner

Thumbs up Metroid Prime Trilogy Remaster Project in FLAC - Official Release

Well guys, the wait is finally over.

After over 100 hours spent tweaking and redoing this project countless times and correcting every little thing I did over and over, I have finally completed this project.

May I present to you, the Metroid Prime Trilogy Original Soundtrack Compilation in FLAC.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Details

Many of you know that this project was first taken up (more than?) a year ago by Assett1. He dropped the project and asked I, his audio mentor, to take it up for him.

I took it up around October and completed it just a few hours ago.

This project consists of the 2 GameCube Metroid game rips from the actual game .iso and the Wii .iso of Corruption. I took the three game rips and dove deep in cleaning them up and restoring them to a nice, smooth, high quality, clean mix. Everything from the actual game disk is intact including the file names except for the vox files. I removed them from the compilation as I felt they were not something anybody would want.

The Remastering Process

Here are the details for the process that I went through.

For each track, the restoration was done digitally and the mastering was completely analog.

1. I took each track, normalized it to -0.1 db.
    2. Ran that through a high quality de-clipper.
    3. From there I ran that through a manual click and pop remover.
    4. That to a re-sampler and high frequency synthesizer so that the high frequencies were restored to their original state
    5. I then took that and ran it through a de-constructor and removed some of the digital distortion and details that should have never been there to begin with.
    6. This then was ran through a volume leveling program.
    7. Each track was double-checked for quality accuracy and made sure it was clean enough for mastering.
    8. The output of this was then run through a complex analog mastering setup. I first decided on having a -72db dynamic range for every track. I got the hardware to a noise level of almost non-existent. (I had to borrow some hardware from a friend)
    10. I set up an analog reverb at around -40db for dynamic range and detail beyond the 16-bit original file.
    11. Then through an exciter to refresh the the entire spectrum and remove the dull sound quality of the original files.
    12. This into a nice 2-band compressor for bringing out the smooth bass harmonics and mid harmonics the exciter created.
    13. This goes into a nice pre-amp to add some life back into the audio.
    14. This into a 4-band compressor to add some richness.
    15. This into one of my favorite equalizers.
    16. Then I mixed this down to a reel-to-reel tape. (This put me back quite a lot as that tape gets expensive very quickly!)
    17. From here I go to an excellent stereo widener.
    18. This into a soft limiter
    19. Whatever went over 0db was caught by the excellent limiter I had directly after that.
    20. I then had one of my favorite limiters setup after to catch any overs that the other limiter might have missed.
    21. The output of all this was recorded into my PC via my EPIC (emphasis on epic) capture card into Adobe Audition at 96khz/24-bit.
    22. The output was down-sampled to 44.1khz sample-rate (almost pointless as that my reel-to-reel is a classic and starts sloping down at 17-ish khz)
    23. The file was also dithered to 16-bit with one of my favorite digital dithering setups that gave exactly -72db of dynamic range but you can hear as far as -144db with it.
    24. This was then exported to a .wav file, encoded to MP3, tagged, and when the entire thing was finished, packaged, and uploaded. You have the output of that huge process.

The Philosophy

From the start I knew this was going to be a huge challenge.

There were many things in these tracks that really plagued the original files. Most of the synthesizers in this project's recordings were analog and recorded to tape way too hot or cheap digital equipment that distorted way to easily. Most of Corruption was clipped. Either way, the tracks were horrible quality to begin with. When I first heard it, it sounded like a bunch of distortion, clipping, noise, and bad quality synths. I feel like the restoration process was more difficult than the mastering process at times.

The dynamics of the tracks are not squished like I originally intended them to be. At the start of this project I had decided on a controlled dynamic range, with gates and everything, but I realized that this project really called for a completely different take than my usual mastering works. I figured that the analog hardware preserved through the recordings needed to be complimented by an analog mastering process.

After much examination I figured out that the mastering was non-existent and that the mix was taken directly to digital files and into the game. There was no mastering involved in any of the three games! This opened the entire project up for me. I could really do what I wanted with this after all.

I tried to let the mixes retain their original feel while enhancing the track from every angle. There is not one part of each track that was not enhanced. Everything from the dynamic range, to the high frequency extension and imaging has been enhanced, controlled, and/or cleaned up.

These mixes needed to be dynamic, yet the loud parts needed to scrape against the limiter. It needs to be transparent. The imaging needed to be realistic, yet soak you in the instruments. The depth needed to steal your soul. The dynamics needed to go as low as you could possibly hear. The audio needed a space to breathe in. The color needed to breathe and be very warm and open. The instruments need to sound like they were meant to be. The distortion needs to match and blend with the digital distortion provided in the mix. The audio needed to be musical in every aspect. The compressors, the harmonic excitements, distortion, everything needed to enhance the musical experience.

But it needed to be controlled as well. How much is too much? That was just as hard as everything else. It can't be so transparent that it sounds fake. The mix needs to be dynamic, but not too dynamic that is blows you away. The loud parts needs to scrape against the limiter, but not every time it gets forte. The dynamics need to be as low as you could possibly hear, but still audible as anything farther is pointless. It needs a space to breathe in but the space can't devour it. The coloring needs to be warm and open but not too much of either. The distortion shouldn't be noticeable unless the instrument is using distortion as an effect. The instruments should sound like they were meant to be but not artificial. Everything needs to be musical but somehow accomplish all of the above.

After over 75 hours of tweaking just the mastering process, I finally achieved a high quality, controlled but perfect mastering setup. Each track would use the same setup for variety of sonic quality.

I feel like with this entire project, I achieved a perfect balance between what I want it to sound like, what the music called for, what people expected it to sound like, all while having variety for every track.

I feel that what you will download is the highest possible quality rendering of the game's music exactly how it should be. (I left the drop-outs and glitches for that authentic feel) Exactly. If you hear this mix over a nice flat system, you'll hear exactly what I want you to hear. The warmth, the details etc. It's times like this when audiophiles really appreciate an accurate system or headphones.

Before You Download

Before you download, I would like you to think about donating. It isn't required so don't feel like you must. I just ask for people to donate as the tape used for this project was not cheap and the electricity etc. required to run my mastering studio does cost quite a lot. Even if you can give a dollar, it's better than nothing. This project did take more effort than I think anybody really expected, but I think it came out better than anybody expected so I hope that's enough to convince you.

Download Links

Here are the download links to the compilation project in MP3. The originals were in FLAC, but I decided that the package was way too big and there isn't much quality difference between the MP3 and the FLAC to justify a FLAC download IMO. But I may upload it just in case.

It includes the album art as well as all the tags in a high quality format!

Metroid Prime 1: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Metroid Prime 2: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Metroid Prime 3: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I hope you all enjoy the music. I hope it brings tears to your eyes and I hope that above all you enjoy it and that it takes you somewhere you can't quite put a finger on.

After-all, that's what the best music does.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Mr.Assett2; 01-10-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Shit happens :/

King Of The Pride Lands disgaeahavok's Avatar
    Fuck yeah! I will post back once I listen to a couple of tracks!

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

Downloading right now!

This is the greatest thing that has ever been uploaded to this site!! I'm giving you reputation points now even despite the fact I'm going to wait for the mp3 release. Mr.Assett2, prepare yourself to be flooded with, likes, friend requests, and reputation points! I don't have a paypal account, but I'll consider making one just to donate to you.
    Want to know how to give reputation points? Find out [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonIIDX View Post
    This is the greatest thing that has ever been uploaded to this site!! I'm giving you reputation points now even despite the fact I'm going to wait for the mp3 release. Mr.Assett2, prepare yourself to be flooded with, likes, friend requests, and reputation points! I don't have a paypal account, but I'll consider making one just to donate to you.
    That really means a lot I'm thankful that there are people like you out there Thanks DragonIIXD

Plz accept my friend request~!

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by disgaeahavok View Post
    Plz accept my friend request~!
    Did

I understand if you want to take a break but what is your next project going to be? -pleasebemajorasmaskpleasebemajorasmaskpleasebemajo rasmask-

Grand Shriner
    I understand if you want to take a break but what is your next project going to be? -pleasebemajorasmaskpleasebemajorasmaskpleasebemajo rasmask-
    It is in fact Majora's Mask. A TON of work is going to be put into that soundtrack though. It all depends on how much free time I have to put to it. It shouldn't take more than a month to get it finished and put up. Majora's Mask should be out by Feb.

Grand Shriney
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Assett2 View Post
    It is in fact Majora's Mask. A TON of work is going to be put into that soundtrack though. It all depends on how much free time I have to put to it. It shouldn't take more than a month to get it finished and put up. Majora's Mask should be out by Feb.
    Awesome!

YES!!!! Also added you.
    Last edited by -Dragon-; 01-08-2013 at 02:10 PM.

First three parts done!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Majora's Mask is a masterpiece, both in gameplay and soundtrack.

Grand Shriner
    First three parts done!

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

Majora's Mask is a masterpiece, both in gameplay and soundtrack.
    I've beaten Ocarina of Time back when I had my N64. I've played a little bit of Majora's Mask, but never really fell in love with the structure of the game. Other people say that you just have to get used to it, I never really did, even after a few hours of gameplay.

It is a really complex game, even bought a guidebook, lol. But for some reason, I adore it much more than Ocarina of Time.

Grand Shriner
    It is a really complex game, even bought a guidebook, lol. But for some reason, I adore it much more than Ocarina of Time.
    I always felt like Ocarina was lacking the seriousness and darkness that Majora's mask crafted, and very well at that.

Looking forward to the mp3 release. Thanks so much for your hard work on this huge project. Once the mp3 release is available, be on the lookout for a donation from me.

I just looked through part 1's files and it seems like all the tracks aren't tagged. They all have the names straight off the disc, like gen_elevator, gen_puzzle. Is that how it is or does it change once you extract the whole package?

I've beaten Ocarina of Time back when I had my N64. I've played a little bit of Majora's Mask, but never really fell in love with the structure of the game. Other people say that you just have to get used to it, I never really did, even after a few hours of gameplay.
    Yes. It was pretty hard for me at first mainly because of the time structure but after I finally figured out how to slow down the time, it was much easier. You should really try to beat it so you can get a better feel of the atmosphere of the music you are going to remaster.

Grand Shriner
    I just looked through part 1's files and it seems like all the tracks aren't tagged. They all have the names straight off the disc, like gen_elevator, gen_puzzle. Is that how it is or does it change once you extract the whole package?
    I wanted to keep it as close to a game rip as possible and not a music album. I left all the names of the tracks from the game disk intact. For purists sake. The mp3 will be tagged with the proper names and such just like the Metroid Recon one, but MUCH higher quality.

I wanted to keep it as close to a game rip as possible and not a music album. I left all the names of the tracks from the game disk intact. For purists sake. The mp3 will be tagged with the proper names and such just like the Metroid Recon one, but MUCH higher quality.
    Aw, are you kidding me? Well, can you update your links and just add a link to a text file with the track names? Cuz I really want the flac files but I don't have the time to manually search for every song name.

Grand Shriner
    Aw, are you kidding me? Well, can you update your links and just add a link to a text file with the track names?
    I'll put it up when I put up the mp3 links. Although the game disk tags are quite stupid, they do say what is what for the most part.

I don't really have any appropriate words. The Metroid Prime trilogy has been the most influential game series in my life. The music tied to it has been equally effecting. The fact that you've done this and demanded nothing in return (a gentle, justified nudge towards a paypal donation doesn't count)... There are no words. You have my deepest gratitude Mr.Assett2. I tip my hat to you/raise a toast to you/make a donation to you... Thank you so, so, so much.
    Also.
    Being the low/mid-fi audio enthusiast that I am (being a self-supported, loan-avoiding, full-time college student limits your budget a bit) I'm not qualified to give a final verdict of any sort. But holy cow. This sounds absolutely fantastic.
    Assett1's release was amazing, but this frankly blows it out of the water completely. (don't tell that to him though. I'm still eternally grateful for his initial (re)master.)
    I'm gonna have to burn some disks and play them through my playstation-1/dayton-b652 setup to see how that sounds,
    but for the moment I'm perfectly content with drooling.
    This is incredible, fantastic, praiseworthy work.
    I wish I could donate more to you.
    Last edited by Skian; 01-08-2013 at 02:36 PM.

I'll put it up when I put up the mp3 links. Although the game disk tags are quite stupid, they do say what is what for the most part.
    Man, I'm done waiting. I'm not waiting for a couple more weeks. I'll just name the tracks myself...

I sound ungrateful but I am. You took this time to give us the trilogy OST that will probably sound the best it ever will.

While I've been pumped for the track, I'll wait until the MP3 release. My internet just won't handle that much stuff at the moment.

Man, I'm done waiting. I'm not waiting for a couple more weeks. I'll just name the tracks myself...

I sound ungrateful but I am. You took this time to give us the trilogy OST that will probably sound the best it ever will.
    First World Problem.

Onion Kid

dammit