Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Evangelion is the most depressing thing I've ever seen.

Shriner
    If you found Evangelion depressing then do yourself a favor and never ever watch Grave of the Fireflies, even though its a very good movie, it's also very depressing.

Evangelion.... could have been better. I dont care what anyone else saids, YOU know why!! freedom of speech!.

Strongest right arm in all of Eternia Tsukanda's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giga_Flare View Post
    From what I've seen of this series, which is only the first seven episodes, all I can bring myself to feel about it right now is indifferent.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not assuming at this point it's a bad series or anything. And possibly my expectations are too high at this stage. But is it just me in thinking this show starts off at a snails pace? So far, the plot doesn't seem to be going anywhere. And while I'm sure it must pick up at some point, the wait seems unnecessarily long.
    The story begins to tumble downhill roughly halfway through, by which I mean the characters' lives descend irrevocably to shit. The director's too, if I remember correctly. Specifically it's this reflection of art on life that I love most.

edit, hah forgot my original intention in posting:
    So yeah, if you only saw the first ten or so episodes, you missed out on the tumble.
    They'd get bored as hell doing that after a while, and then I'd be through with having conversations for the rest of my life.

Would you like to see my mask? Nightowl9910's Avatar
    I'll bear that in mind. Thanks for the input there.
    Dr Crane isn't here right now, but if you'd like to make an appointment....

The story is mainly an incoherent mess with whole sections that are never properly explained and plot points that contradict previous plot points. It's the characters that make the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ThroneofOminous View Post
    The story is mainly an incoherent mess with whole sections that are never properly explained and plot points that contradict previous plot points. It's the characters that make the show.
    PLEASE EXPAND ON THAT

I AM CURIOUS
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

On which part?

whole sections that are never properly explained and plot points that contradict previous plot points

Quite a lot of things aren't properly explained.

*spoilers*

Why all the pilots are 14 years old, who Seele are, how the Dead Sea Scrolls are able to predict the future, how Gendo was able to transfer Rei's soul from body to body, the Lance of Longinus, the differences between the goals of Seele, Gendo and the angels (as it is it appears as if they want the exact same thing, yet are trying to stop each other anyway) are all things just off the top of my head that have no real explanation at all within the show. As for the contradictions, the two that I remember the most are when Gendo describes the Adam embryo as "The first human being" (That is actually Lilith, a fact that Gendo is supposedly aware of) and when Rei's soul is shown to be the one inside Unit 00 (presumably from when the first Rei died), even though Ritsuko states that Rei only has one soul that is transfered across the Rei clones when each die.

*/spoilers*

There is a limit to how many things you can leave up to interpretation in a series without it just plain not making sense.

It's definitely sounding to me like this series is hugely over rated.

That said though, I'll stick with it for a bit longer before jumping to any definite conclusions. If indeed it's the character development that's the most decent thing about the show, that's a good enough reason for me to give it more of a chance.

Quite a lot of things aren't properly explained.

*spoilers*

Why all the pilots are 14 years old, who Seele are, how the Dead Sea Scrolls are able to predict the future, how Gendo was able to transfer Rei's soul from body to body, the Lance of Longinus, the differences between the goals of Seele, Gendo and the angels (as it is it appears as if they want the exact same thing, yet are trying to stop each other anyway) are all things just off the top of my head that have no real explanation at all within the show. As for the contradictions, the two that I remember the most are when Gendo describes the Adam embryo as "The first human being" (That is actually Lilith, a fact that Gendo is supposedly aware of) and when Rei's soul is shown to be the one inside Unit 00 (presumably from when the first Rei died), even though Ritsuko states that Rei only has one soul that is transfered across the Rei clones when each die.

*/spoilers*

There is a limit to how many things you can leave up to interpretation in a series without it just plain not making sense.
    Sections highlighted in bold are in fact explained in the series. The rest, you have a point (off the top of my head). Though personally small trivia such as those wouldn't dissuade me from a whole series.

As for the contradictions, SPOIL
    Analogy: If Adam is species, each angel is a different genus. Humans belong to the same genus as Lilith.

I always thought the soul of Unit 00 was artificially created in the same way as Rei's. In this manner, you could say Rei and 00 possess the same soul (or are twin souls).

This post is over.

I would be interested to hear the explanations for the bold points. I've watched the series quite a few times and never took away any answers to those points.

Also, for the record I think Evangelion is a fantastic anime. It wasn't at all my intention to dissuade anyone from watching it. I just think the story is nonsense.

Also, for the record I think Evangelion is a fantastic anime. It wasn't at all my intention to dissuade anyone from watching it. I just think the story is nonsense.
    Understood.

Explanations including spoilers:

1. Each pilot had a spiritual connection with their Eva. They were selected because their psychological profile matched demands and because of their availability. The reason the Evas contained souls of the pilots' loved ones is due to Gendo's orchestration.

2. Technology, I'm assuming. The same advanced technology that is capable of giant soul-inhabited clones, artificial humans, etc.

3. The angels wanted to merge with Lilith for their evolution, at the expense of each other angel and humanity. Seele, for the evolution of humanity at the expense of all the other angels. Gendo, to be reunited with his late wife. From what I can tell, the difference in goals between the latter two is derived from their implementation.

*spoilers*

1. Each pilot had a spiritual connection with their Eva. They were selected because their psychological profile matched demands and because of their availability. The reason the Evas contained souls of the pilots' loved ones is due to Gendo's orchestration.
    But that doesn’t address the point of why they all happened to be 14 years of age.

2. Technology, I'm assuming. The same advanced technology that is capable of giant soul-inhabited clones, artificial humans, etc.
    I assumed that it was some sort of wacky sci-fi process as well. It doesn’t change the fact that unlike all other wacky sci-fi processes in the show they don’t event attempt to explain it, or even provide clues as to how it’s done.

3. The angels wanted to merge with Lilith for their evolution, at the expense of each other angel and humanity. Seele, for the evolution of humanity at the expense of all the other angels. Gendo, to be reunited with his late wife. From what I can tell, the difference in goals between the latter two is derived from their implementation.
    I know they all had different motivations for causing Third Impact but the show never details how each of their scenarios differ. Especially in the case of Gendo and Seele, they both appear to want to merge all life into a single being, so why did they bother fighting over control in the end? What difference would one being in control over the other make? If Anno had an answer in mind (and he very well may have) he didn’t put enough information into the show for us to be able to work it out.

*/spoilers*

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Confusing thread title. Fixing it.

*spoilers*

But that doesn’t address the point of why they all happened to be 14 years of age.

I assumed that it was some sort of wacky sci-fi process as well. It doesn’t change the fact that unlike all other wacky sci-fi processes in the show they don’t event attempt to explain it, or even provide clues as to how it’s done.

I know they all had different motivations for causing Third Impact but the show never details how each of their scenarios differ. Especially in the case of Gendo and Seele, they both appear to want to merge all life into a single being, so why did they bother fighting over control in the end? What difference would one being in control over the other make? If Anno had an answer in mind (and he very well may have) he didn’t put enough information into the show for us to be able to work it out.

*/spoilers*
    Regarding the second two paragraphs, personally I prefer when everything isn't explained out in a Murder She Wrote fashion. Shit sentence structure so I'll try again: I detest shows that spoon feed everything to the audience.

My memory is hazy, perhaps Shinji was instrumental for Gendo's objective while irrelevant for Seele's. Meaningless postulation.

As for paragraph one, I thought it had something to do with the date of first impact. It was hinted at in one episode methinks.

edit. At any rate, we're only discussing details right now. I do agree with you that the characters make the show, by far. (Well, for me it's characters + philosophy but hey.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukanda View Post
    Can you expand a bit on this? I know that Unit 01 absorbed Shinji's mother, and therefor he was the most suitable person for it, but whose souls Unit 00 and 02 contain? I don't remember something like this being mentioned in the series

Quote Originally Posted by ROKI View Post
    Can you expand a bit on this? I know that Unit 01 absorbed Shinji's mother, and therefor he was the most suitable person for it, but whose souls Unit 00 and 02 contain? I don't remember something like this being mentioned in the series
    02 was Asuka's mother (revealed in End of Eva). 00 was an artificial soul similar to Rei, both directly related to Lilith (which is why she could synchronize I suppose).

Hm, I've corrected an earlier post which analogizes Lilith and Adam - I got the two mixed up.

Buh.

*SPOIER ALERT*

Actually not all the Evas contained the souls of the pilots loved ones. At least not Reis anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Reis Eva 00 had the sould of Naiko Akagi (the one whom hated Rei so; part of the reason was out of jealousy of being Yui Ikaris clone and Gendos love interest and also because of the fact that Rei kept calling Naiko an old hag being "no use anymore" so Naiko strangled Rei to death). That was why Rei got hurt so badly during the first test of Eva 00 near the beginning of the series.

But Shinji and Asukas Eva did have the soul of the pilots loved ones. ROKI for Asuka, it was the soul of her mother Kyoko.

I don't remember the series for Touji and the soul of Eva 03 ever specifying that one though.

I hope that helps ^^.
    Check out my Resident Evil & Silent Hill Quote Quiz:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Are you sure? I always just assumed it was an artificial soul - explaining why it would often go berserk during testing, leading to the implanting of true human souls. But your explanation does make sense as well.

Considering that it was the prototype, an artificial soul would make more sense to me :/

Also, thank you both for cleaning this out. Now the plot makes much more sense!

np

Warrior, Protector, Friend solid8bit's Avatar
    I could not even follow the story of Evangelion. First half of the series was good. After that I don't know what happend. Nothing made any since. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

No worries, nothing you said gave me that impression. (if that was a response to what I said before).

I still intend to finish watching it. It's just it's been obvious, from some of the things described in here, that alot of the comments I've read (on other sites) regarding this show are exaggerated. That's why I'm inclined to think it's over rated. Though of course it's possible my views may well change by the time I've watched the show through to the end.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast