Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: The official TWILIGHT ZONE thread

Master Special Effects artist Williamtaylor1969's Avatar
    Are the Definitive editions episodes the only ones with isolated audio?

William

Parmadil
    Quote Originally Posted by burnedout View Post
    (and just to clarify, I didnt say they did).
    Nope, didn't think you did. :-)

The TWZone audio (Definitive) is 2 channel, not 5.1, so you'd have to edit around the complete audio if you want the music.
    Ah. Well, I can still work around it, I'm sure! Though I had no luck trying that with Dr. Who.

Okay, so which versions have the isolated score channels?

William

Parmadil
    From what I can gather, they BOTH do. The Definitive Edition, however, has a lot more - like probably 85% of all TZ episodes have isolated scores. For season one alone, it's like 95%.

Onion Kid
    So awesome. Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
    From what I can gather, they BOTH do. The Definitive Edition, however, has a lot more - like probably 85% of all TZ episodes have isolated scores. For season one alone, it's like 95%.

Okay, well, my local library has got only ONE disc (Volume 6) of the definitive discs, so I ordered it! We will see what happens, should be here next week! They have another set, kinda wierd, only lists 4 or 5 episodes per disc, and it says something like "Disc 113, volume 2" on it! I don't know what the hell the library system is doing, unless that was the actual CD designation from the studio.

I'll let you know, as I had requested a couple of those as well.

William

The TWZone audio (Definitive) is 2 channel, not 5.1, so you'd have to edit around the complete audio if you want the music.

However, it still is an isolated track, right?

William

The Blu-ray editions, if I'm not mistaken, have even more isolated scores offered than The Definitive Edition DVD, and perhaps an edge on sound quality. Don't know if ripping the audio on these would be a major task, but that would have the best SQ and material.

Wouldnt you say it was worth a man's soul? sadsack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamtaylor1969 View Post
    However, it still is an isolated track, right?

William
    Nope. As previously stated, that episode (30 fathom grave) does not have an isolated track, just the regular audio. Momaru then asked if that audio was 5.1, and I replied it was only 2 channel. If it were 5.1 (ie 5 channel) sometimes the dialog is on only one channel, so you can make a music/fx version from the other channels. Since it is 2 channel (ie the entire audio of dialog/music/fx mixed together), you'd have to edit out the dialog manually and thus deleting music played under it.

Inre BLuray, you need a bluray dvd rom in your PC to read the dvds digitally. Or you could make analog recordings from the bluray player while it plays the isolated music; there would be a quality drop, but it might be worth it for episodes which dont have an isoated track on the standard dvd version.

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetspeaks View Post
    The Blu-ray editions, if I'm not mistaken, have even more isolated scores offered than The Definitive Edition DVD, and perhaps an edge on sound quality. Don't know if ripping the audio on these would be a major task, but that would have the best SQ and material.

Those BASTARDS!! I just found out that NOBODY makes a DVD player for my laptop! I have a VERY nice external DVD-RW player for my Toshiba laptop, but when I went to Best Buy, the salesperson told me that there is no Blue-ray player available from anyone!!!

William

Those BASTARDS!! I just found out that NOBODY makes a DVD player for my laptop! I have a VERY nice external DVD-RW player for my Toshiba laptop, but when I went to Best Buy, the salesperson told me that there is no Blue-ray player available from anyone!!!
    William
    Looks like the standard TWZone dvds had like 60% isolated scores, and the Blurary have like 95%.

William, have you googled your particular laptop model with "external bluray" to see if anything comes up?
    They're expensive in general, but there are some tech online stores that can be cheaper, like Newegg.com.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Parmadil
    They're expensive in general, but there are some tech online stores that can be cheaper, like Newegg.com.
    Oh, I'm sure he's all set with the residuals he must be getting from Star Wars and E.T.

Oh, I'm sure he's all set with the residuals he must be getting from Star Wars and E.T.
    He's a little too young to be John Williams!

Perhaps if you reverse the name, perhaps I am "Taylor Williams", son of the great John Williams?

William

Parmadil
    Quote Originally Posted by izbot View Post
    He's a little too young to be John Williams!
    I cross-posted accidentally again. The suggestion that he's John Towner Williams was from the "Official" Star Trek thread.

He doesn't sound like John Wms., or at least as I would imagine he would sound.

Maybe he actually is William Taylor. I mean, everything he's been saying could be a bluff, though that wouldn't explain he access to the Star Trek TNG music with which he's been providing us.

Well, I just got season three, disc three of the definitive edition, and have started to record the isolated channels on episodes "Dead man's shoes" (one of my favs), "the hunt" (another fav), "Showdown with Rance McGrew", "Kick the can", "A piano in the house", and "The last rites of Jeff Myrtlebank"! I have started with Dead man's shoes, and I can hear faint talking in the background, so I don't really think that it is an isolated track, just culled from the master three tracks! such a shame, because SOMEBODY has to have the original music tracks somewhere! Anyway, here is the link:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

William

they all have dialog bleed, but it's still advertised as isolated music rather than "mostly music."
    You might try ripping the audio rather than recording it in real time. It's quicker and lossless (no analog conversion).

Grand Shriner
    Well, I just got season three, disc three of the definitive edition, and have started to record the isolated channels on episodes "Dead man's shoes" (one of my favs), "the hunt" (another fav), "Showdown with Rance McGrew", "Kick the can", "A piano in the house", and "The last rites of Jeff Myrtlebank"! I have started with Dead man's shoes, and I can hear faint talking in the background, so I don't really think that it is an isolated track, just culled from the master three tracks!
    such a shame, because SOMEBODY has to have the original music tracks somewhere! Anyway, I will post them up here when I get done!

William
    Try inverting one track and mix it into mono, maybe that'll remove what's left of the voices.

Very good suggestions! I did use the DVD Audio extractor, but I can still hear some talking, but I will try to use my WAV program to listen to one channel and then the next, will see what we get. There was one person, in the episode "Dead man's shoes" some guy talking with a VERY loud voice that you can really hear above and beyond anyone else on the other episodes. I could like to track this bastard down, and pummel him! Hehehhehehe

William

Quote Originally Posted by ComicsJoe View Post
    Try inverting one track and mix it into mono, maybe that'll remove what's left of the voices.
    I'm curious what exactly you mean by inverting. It's 2 channel audio - I'm not sure if they're identical (mono) channels to start with - are you suggesting separating the channels first, and "invert" one of them? What function/tool in a wave editor will invert a track?

Parmadil
    I'm curious what exactly you mean by inverting. It's 2 channel audio - I'm not sure if they're identical (mono) channels to start with - are you suggesting separating the channels first, and "invert" one of them? What function/tool in a wave editor will invert a track?
    "Vocal Remover" in DVD Audio Extractor does it.

"Vocal Remover" in DVD Audio Extractor does it.

With my WAV editor, I can check the left and right channels one at a time, and see if the background vocals are present it both. If not, I can tag the channel which has the clean music, and delete the other channel, then SWITCH the channels, and PASTE mix the tagged channel. Then I wind up with two channel MONO, to which I can run the spacial environment program, and add a concert hall effect.

William

William, I've seen that feature in wave editors which lets you highlight part or all of one channel so it will dominate over both channels. I use that in NERO for the Trek:Tos dvd music, because often the FX are on one channel (except for the ship in space FX, which moves from one channel to the other). You get a disconcerting patch of mono, but it's not quite as disconcerting as the FX.
    However, these TWZone isolated audio are mono 2 channel - they might as well be 1 channel - so you cant fix them with the swapping channels technique.

I was thinking ComicsJoe meant you invert (reverse) the wave amplitude (along the X axis?), and the dialog might be canceled out when the two waves are added together. Although maybe everything would be canceled out with that method.

momaru, I dont see "Vocal remover" as a feature in Dvd Audio Extractor. Maybe it pops up if you're dvd is 5 channel and its offering to eliminate the center channel (though I doubt it).

Burnedout, OH!!!, now I know what he was referring to, I think. There is a high end program that I saw a LONG time ago, that can actually take a music track, and isolate one instrument, like a violin, and use a reverse modulation to cancel that instrument out completely! Not being an audio tech nerd, that is the best that I can explain it. NOW, if they can do that, why not remove all but one instrument, and create a track by track STEREO version of music, like the TOS scores?
    I was thinking about that, about 5 years ago, when George Martin was explaining why "Love me do" by the Beatles is only available in MONO, as it was only recorded that way. Now, of course, there is a discreet STEREO version of that song!!! Where did it come from? I have no idea! (And neither does George, hehehehehe)

William

Parmadil
    I use that in NERO for the Trek:Tos dvd music
    What's this? I thought on Verisimilitude had TOS music (He used Gold, BTW.)

Momaru, I dont see "Vocal remover" as a feature in Dvd Audio Extractor. Maybe it pops up if you're dvd is 5 channel and its offering to eliminate the center channel (though I doubt it).
    Oops, I was wrong, Audacity has the vocal remover.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast