Page 220 of 356 FirstFirst ... 120170210214215216217218219220221222223224225226230270320 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,500 of 8892
Like Tree11656Likes

Thread: the "Official" Star Trek thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre Gadget View Post
    There's enough of us group 1's to help or get payed upgrading PC's for group 2 and 3. I wouldn't trade anything to be able to have control over My investment. I look at it, that if a component goes out then i replace it. You woud'nt build something with the attitude that, well their ignorant, so let's build something so no one can fix it so they'll have to replace it. If cars were that way people would be pissed and not buy it. And if they were forced to then someone would have a market to fill. My computer has litterly morphed through the last 25 years as a result of upgrading, i've never baught a system. The idea that Microcrap put out in the mid 90's that PC's would vanish because all in one system consoles would take over as a total entertainment and computer system and couldn't be upgradable made me laugh out loud. Computers that burn out like chips going bad are just plain made sub-standard, i still have system components from 15 - 20 years ago that still work. i could build whole systems together from these. There's no reason a system shouldn't last 10 years min or forever if properly maintained. If the limit for computing power to present day apps is 4 years, are you saying Apple users are buying new computers every 3 or 4 years? If they're cheap enough that's fine, but they shouldn't make components so cheap they break down. If there's a need it'll exist and if not it won't. sorry if I'm rambling.
    I'm glad you know what you want and what is appropriate for you. But as I think I indicated -- and perhaps I wasn't clear -- what I was saying wasn't intended to apply to what I called group 1. Their needs and requirements are not typical of the average computer buyer, which is my point: too often the geeks amoung us guide the average computer buyer into buying something that isn't necessarily appropriate for them. It's great for the geek directing them, but not for the person who is doing the actual buying. The fact that there are folks who are capable of fixing a problem for the group 2/3 people is great. But all too often the geek 1 who directs the average buyer in their purchase is no longer available when there is an issue. And in fact cars are built somewhat in that manner which is why so many people hire expensive mechanics to fix them. But the difference there is that the cost of repair is generally but a fraction of the cost to replace. Not so in the computer world where tech fees routinely start at $70 an hour. Plus parts. It doesn't take very long or very many issues to make it more expensive to repair than replace, which is a point that too many people neglect to take into consideration. And I agree that there is no reason a decent system shouldn't last many years -- and no, I am not saying that Apple users are buying new computers every 3 or 4 years. I am saying the average Windows computer purchaser is because the Windows computer purchaser is buying low end boxes from the likes of Dell, Acer, et al. A quality system on the PC side won't need replaced nearly as often as the inexpensive units. But when you start talking that kind of money to get a quality system such as that, you are in the Apple price arena which makes Apples a viable consideration in that mix. And based on my experience, after having been firmly in the PC camp for a very long time (although I hate Microsoft, their business practices and most of their products and have issues with their buying -- or stealing -- products, then taking the credit for them as if they created them) I believe that Apple products offer benefits over Windows boxes for many average computer users -- or at the very least are worthy of equal consideration -- but the geeks amoung us (and I include myself in that) have done many a disservice by intentionally directing people away from Apple products for reasons which are valid for us but not necessarily valid for others.
    AZSneed, Spectre8750 and Scotty57 like this.

NO LONGER WELCOME! Williamtaylor1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicsJoe View Post
    Check out these early TOS bridges:

Looks appropriate for an eeeeextremely low budget, doesn't it?

Unlike this one which seems to be for quite big budget:

How's that for futuristic?
    Joe, I actually have these drawings in my STTMP folder, as they were drawn for the TREK 2nd TV series, which then became the movie!

William

Quote Originally Posted by Williamtaylor1969 View Post
    Joe, I actually have these drawings in my STTMP folder, as they were drawn for the TREK 2nd TV series, which then became the movie!

William
    William, who's idea was it to drop the bucket seats?

Comics Joe- Thanks for the drawings
    Spectre8750 likes this.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by theone2000 View Post
    Apparently, there are versions for the Mac also.
    Boxer is a DOSBox implementation which gives Mac users something a bit nicer than just a naked command line.
    Spectre8750 and theone2000 like this.

I bought my first Beta recorder in 1982 after researching which format had the best picture, I still have a box full of beta tapes in the basement, Replaced it with a VHS recorder around 1989, I still have 2 boxes full of VHS tapes in my basement. Replaced it with a DVD player which I replaced with a Blue-ray played 2 years ago. At least I can still play my DVDs on the Blue-ray or I would have 3 boxes full of DVDs in the basement I call that a major improvement.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I repair computers and lap-tops as a hobby. Your are right when you say it is usually too expensive to have them repaired compare to cost of replacing them . I only charge for the cost of parts if I have to buy them. Many times I have spare parts laying around my work bench taken from broken computers. Most people buy cheap low end computers. Most of the ones I repair are around 6 years old. With e-bay I can order most parts fairly cheaply. I took a few computer classes but mostly learned to fix computers by searching the internet. I found that it isn't too expensive to take a cheap computer and up-grade it to a decent computer. I usually buy business grade computers instead of personal computers. I bought my 1st computer back in 1982 a TRS 80 series III. I currently have four desk tops and a lap top connected to my home network. Does this make me a level 1 (geek)? or am I considered a level 2 or 3 user?

Quote Originally Posted by max_stein View Post
    Does this make me a level 1 (geek)? or am I considered a level 2 or 3 user?
    1.5!!

On going from video tape to DVD...

We got our first VCR around 1979 ... a $1000 VHS unit that was a rental return (used) unit, for $400. VHS units were cheaper; VHS recorded for up to 6 hours (at that time before 8-hour tapes). So VHS was the way to go. I wasn't an elite (my opinion) who worried about comparing resolution-screen size or some such, it was the miracle of the thing AT ALL that was enough for me.

Little obsessive guy, me, ended up with several hundred videotapes, most of them being two or three movies (per tape) dubbed from TV or other videos. Oh the nerdy joy of having TWO VCRs so you could dub your own!

And as time passed by and DVD came out, buying a DVD recorder became the way to go. Things like the great 1941 Ray Milland film The Uninvited -- I had it on disc long before commercial DVD, never mind that it was a grainy dub. I rewatched it again with newly freshened eyes. And the original Clash of the Titans, and the original miniseries Salem's Lot, and so on. Of course eventually I bought what I could in commercial DVD.

It's kind of funny that all these years later, about the only things I haven't dubbed from video to DVD are my home videos of the kids as little ones! Lazy me!

STAR TREK connection: I sold my first article to the paperback series THE BEST OF TREK about the differences between original release and home video and as-shown-on-TV releases of ST:TMP and the next two films. Most of that article was possible through having two VCRs hooked up to a splitter and switching back and forth as they each played differing versions of the same movie. And I later dubbed this video onto DVD, meaning I still have a copy of ST:TMP as originally broadcast on ABC (pan-and-scan, baby!) in 1983. And shot-for-shot it is NOT the same as the other versions because there were cuts to left or right of the screen, "push-ins," and the like.

It's amazing how much time you have to play with toys when you have less complications (kids and grandkids) to take up your time on more worthy activities!

Now the rest of you, get out there and talk about STAR TREK and your early video memories!

PS some time I will rant about the Paramount-tampered versions of "City on the Edge of Forever"!

Mark
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

-
    Last edited by theone2000; 09-05-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Grand Shriner
    Regarding the issue of the Enterprise D in model form as part of a series, some may have noticed an obvious error.
    I noticed that the name Enterprise is missing from the "neck" connecting primary to secondary hulls. I only noticed that because I saw it for the first time when watching the blu-rays.

Quote Originally Posted by del37 View Post
    I noticed that the name Enterprise is missing from the "neck" connecting primary to secondary hulls. I only noticed that because I saw it for the first time when watching the blu-rays.
    Indeed. On page 4 of the accompanying magazine it is clearly visible.
    AZSneed and Spectre8750 like this.

One format of video recording that was not mentioned, VCD. I bought a VCD recorder that had to use blank CDs designed for only Music. I transferred a lot of my Beta and VHS to CDs, just to save them. Now any video release to commercial DVD, I just then throw away the tapes. Unless, they have special meaning to me.

As for the 1701 D model, I'm not surprised. AMT Models, first, and other model companies that followed, have NEVER released an accurate Star Trek model. The closest was the AMT TOS Klingon Battle Cruiser, but, still not right.
    Lightning Legion-Strike.......like Lightning

VCD recorder? That one passed me by. I always thought it was the first digital video disc format (laserdiscs video was analogue - bizarrely) which was used mainly to peddle music videos, but that it was a read-only job. VCD was followed by CD-i a few years later - I remember watching ST6 in a Virgin Megastore in 1992 - clearly no match for the cinema experience I had earlier that year.

William, who's idea was it to drop the bucket seats?
    Oh, yes, that was my idea. I told Roddenberry that they looked too much like the 1974 Impala, and he agreed with me that they were very retro, so they went bye-bye! Hehehehehe

Seriously, I have no idea, possibly the art director.

William

I just checked my Playtime Toys- USS Enterprise that I have hanging from the ceiling in my computer room. The toy maker got the hanger doors right -the one on the left is smaller. Too bad the model makers didn't spend as much time researching before making their model.
    Last edited by max_stein; 09-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Grand Shriner
    I'm surprise that nobody has picked any holes from the TMP Enterprise that was released with issue 2
    theone2000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre Gadget View Post
    Scotty
    Isn't that what killed the Beta VCR's? not letting anyone make them but themselves. That was a big mistake too. To bad too, i liked the Betamax and Super Betamax.

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

Yes, in Flac, no log or cue. And the scans are little.
    Pretty much! Personally I love Betamax, far Superior to VHS in every way. Betamax is still used in Japan and some news stations here is the USA (those that don't use or have a Microwave link setup), but other then that it is a dead medium.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by LDMartin1959 View Post
    I'm glad you know what you want and what is appropriate for you. But as I think I indicated -- and perhaps I wasn't clear -- what I was saying wasn't intended to apply to what I called group 1. Their needs and requirements are not typical of the average computer buyer, which is my point: too often the geeks amoung us guide the average computer buyer into buying something that isn't necessarily appropriate for them. It's great for the geek directing them, but not for the person who is doing the actual buying. The fact that there are folks who are capable of fixing a problem for the group 2/3 people is great. But all too often the geek 1 who directs the average buyer in their purchase is no longer available when there is an issue. And in fact cars are built somewhat in that manner which is why so many people hire expensive mechanics to fix them. But the difference there is that the cost of repair is generally but a fraction of the cost to replace. Not so in the computer world where tech fees routinely start at $70 an hour. Plus parts. It doesn't take very long or very many issues to make it more expensive to repair than replace, which is a point that too many people neglect to take into consideration. And I agree that there is no reason a decent system shouldn't last many years -- and no, I am not saying that Apple users are buying new computers every 3 or 4 years. I am saying the average Windows computer purchaser is because the Windows computer purchaser is buying low end boxes from the likes of Dell, Acer, et al. A quality system on the PC side won't need replaced nearly as often as the inexpensive units. But when you start talking that kind of money to get a quality system such as that, you are in the Apple price arena which makes Apples a viable consideration in that mix. And based on my experience, after having been firmly in the PC camp for a very long time (although I hate Microsoft, their business practices and most of their products and have issues with their buying -- or stealing -- products, then taking the credit for them as if they created them) I believe that Apple products offer benefits over Windows boxes for many average computer users -- or at the very least are worthy of equal consideration -- but the geeks amoung us (and I include myself in that) have done many a disservice by intentionally directing people away from Apple products for reasons which are valid for us but not necessarily valid for others.
    $70.00 dollars an hour! is far cheaper then what a certified mechanic makes! my youngest brother has been a mechanic for 30 years and makes $300.00 an hour today, plus parts and you get what you pay for too. I do the same as Max does, I just charge for the parts. I don't steer my customers to any system just because it cost more, then say a custom built system, personally I recommend a custom built system over a proprietary computer i.e. HP, Acer et el., I always ask my customers what they plan to use this computer for! if it's just doing basic things (Email, searching the net) then I always guide them to a no frills computer (not some souped up i7, 3 or 4 thousand dollar monster) if on the other hand a customer wants a gaming rig then we are talking several thousand dollars (those are few) but you can still build a modest gaming rig for 700.00 to $800.00 bucks. Proprietary systems I have found are almost always under powered for what type of OS is installed! (along with a ton of crapware) I've seen HP sell an AMD Sempron with 2 Gig RAM with Vista per-installed! and of course it has built-in video (with shared RAM) and people wonder why there computer runs like a snail! most of the people I have dealt with, want to throw there HP, Gateway or Acer out the window! that is a quality system? that's what I call junk and a rip off. There is such a thing called RMA! and I've had very little problems with returning bad components! My last personal built computer lasted me 5 years, with out a problem and is still running.

The only thing that has saved Apple ass is there facing the fact the Motorola CPU's are limited and had reached the end of there usefulness! then they switched to Intel CPU's, if Apple continued to use Motorola CPU's they would have ended up on the ash heap of history! I to can not stand Microsoft business practices either! alone with Apples as well, but when you have 86 percent of the worlds market share and apple has only 7.26%, Apple is not doing something right. The last time I checked iphone sells were down, there number 2 with Android being number 1 (so far anyway) but I digress.... Apple makes good computers that's why they are used for CGI,music recording and video editing, because that is what they are good at, sure there is not as much virus or malware written for apple but their out there! To buy software you can go into almost any major store and get any program for a windows computer, with Apple it is there store only! I have never liked being locked into any computer! but at lest with a windows based computer I can tell my customers (if they can't afford it) use open software (as you said Open Office) the main thing is PC's will run any software designed for it, sure you have problems but they are fixable! Apple on the other hand, you have to wait months if ever for Apple to fix there problems, most of the time you have to wait for a newer version. I have a ipod touch 4th generation (64GB) sounds great, but the software (itunes) won't auto update when ever I put new music in my music NAS! whats up with that? I used to use Zune (Yeah I know) but at lest Zune auto-updated every time I added new music! with itunes I have to tell it to scan the entire music folder (and that takes a few hour's... it's on a 4 TB NAS with itunes server) it's not perfect, but it works...I still miss Zune! oh well.... Each to there own! if you like Apple bully for you! me I'll stay with windows.

Scott

p.s. Sorry I read your message wrong! I thought you were saying you are 30! yes my oldest son is 30 and well be 31 in November...man am I getting old! but the good news is William is still older then us!!! lol j/k William
    Last edited by Scotty57; 09-16-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Yes Scott, it's ironic that they've switched to the x86 now The heart of a PC beats inside the Mac.

The 680x0 was a great CPU and served the Apple, Atari and Commodore systems well. I never discovered why Motorola rested on it laurels and let Intel take over in the 90s.

The Foxconn factories in China have been fitted with suicide nets to deter workers from jumping to their deaths where many have already done so. And Apple's executives/stakeholders are all right with that. There they are drink in hand, feet on desk, laughing to each other about how much money the saved by shipping the jobs abroad to dangerously unethical plants.

Tampering? I'm looking forward to that.

Regarding the issue of the Enterprise D in model form as part of a series, some may have noticed an obvious error.

The doors to shuttlebays 2 & 3 are the same size, when in fact 2 should be narrower than 3.

Ok, boys, ship the whole lot back to China, or down CBS's throat. Quality control my arse
    Oh man. Even with that glitch, I'm wanting this bad. This series looks really niiiiiiiice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbuts View Post
    Oh man. Even with that glitch, I'm wanting this bad. This series looks really niiiiiiiice.
    It's fine really. Go for it! I'll be picking up a few I'm interested in.
    Spectre8750 likes this.

Yes Scott, it's ironic that they've switched to the x86 now The heart of a PC beats inside the Mac.

The 680x0 was a great CPU and served the Apple, Atari and Commodore systems well. I never discovered why Motorola rested on it laurels and let Intel take over in the 90s.

The Foxconn factories in China have been fitted with suicide nets to deter workers from jumping to their deaths where many have already done so. And Apple's executives/stakeholders are all right with that. There they are drink in hand, feet on desk, laughing to each other about how much money the saved by shipping the jobs abroad to dangerously unethical plants.
    I have never heard either! but whatever Motorola did or didn't do, they sure shot themselves in the foot.

Isn't that good to know! Sure makes me feel better! I have read Apple is building some new manufacturing plant here in the US to produce iMac's! (more like assemble iMac's) of course this is not the first time Apple has done this, but both times they failed and where shut down. What I have read is that Apple will hire just 200 people! and you can bet it won't last long either! This time Apple is investing $100 million into the project. Sure makes a good write off on there corporate tax's, since Apple has a ton of cash on hand.

Scott

It's fine really. Go for it! I'll be picking up a few I'm interested in.
    I think I will! I bought a lot of those Furuta Star Trek ships a few years ago... they were kind of fun but a lot of the detailing and decals were off, especially when considered alongside similar stuff made by Konami. But these Eaglemoss ships look to be of a very high standard! [geeks out]

Actually, as a point of FACT, I am older than DIRT!!! Hehehehehehhe

And, speaking of "Bucket Seats", some of the Klingon seats were taken directly from automobile bucket seats. Mark Banning, who used to be with GNC/Crescendo records has an original Klingon seat that he proudly displays in his front room! And, he also has possibly the largest collection of Klingon LCAR panels as well, very impressive stuff!

On another point, I just watched, over the weekend, a video entitled "Inside Star Trek, The real story", and I was amazed that EVERYTHING that Gene Roddenberry had said against the "network" (like they wanted the female second in command gone, because nobody out there in TV land would ever believe that a female could be in charge of anything!) was totally and completely FALSE!!! They had Grant Tinker, who was the head of the network (NBC) at that time, saying how much they loved women in charge, and named off a whole bunch of TV shows that NBC had done to prove his point! I mean, What the HELL?? Did Gene just make up all this stuff? Of course, I couldn't help to notice that all of the people who spoke out against that situation were EMPLOYEES of the network, or past employees, like Herb Solow! It just felt totally one-sided to me, and coming at a time when Gene or anybody like that could come forward with a different point of view! Seems like a slap in the back of the head to me!

It was really sad to see.

William

Quote Originally Posted by Grubbuts View Post
    I think I will! I bought a lot of those Furuta Star Trek ships a few years ago... they were kind of fun but a lot of the detailing and decals were off, especially when considered alongside similar stuff made by Konami. But these Eaglemoss ships look to be of a very high standard! [geeks out]

"While I'm waiting to get my hands on the D'deridex class warbird, I'll be dissecting the Enterprise-D for every precious bit of information, and then to display its broken hull in the capital on Romulus to both inspire the Romulan armies and serve as a reminder to any other traitors of the state"