Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: NEW THREAD POLICY: all links must go in their own thread

Sarah

NEW THREAD POLICY: all links must go in their own thread

each soundtrack must have its own thread. this may be in addition to being posted in megathreads/collections threads. this isn't retroactively enforced, but will be for new posts.

this is to make searching easier, both in-forum and in search engines. additionally, it'll help with a new forum feature i have planned that should roll out in the next few months ~

while everyone gets used to this, please kindly and politely remind anyone that forgets or isn't yet aware of the policy.

thanks <3

So, to post an album, I need to make a new thread, but may also post in the hunt thread, is that correct?
    [IMG][Hidden link. Register to see links.][/IMG]

"How's my hair??"

sounds like the deal

Lord Tyrant, first of his name. TheSparktankô 2.1's Avatar
    I like this new policy. Will definitely make searches easier.
    Trying to find something that's posted in just a megathread (and not anywhere else) will require entering the megathread and searching within that megathread...
    But searches (in the forum) have a 60 second waiting protocol. Searching via search engines like Google, you can do it all day.
    This new law will save that extra time and help you find what you want. I like it
    "The Law of 2"!
    Does it make sense?
    No? Then...

SORCERY!

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    Sometimes different people post the same soundtrack in the FS/VGM thread a page apart. Like Batman and Kick Ass, how many different ones were there? If that happens are you going to merge them into one? Otherwise won't it get messy with lots of threads all having the same name?
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

"There must be something in books, something we canít imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house... "

Lord Tyrant, first of his name. TheSparktankô 2.1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Faustus View Post
    Sometimes different people post the same soundtrack in the FS/VGM thread a page apart. Like Batman and Kick Ass, how many different ones were there? If that happens are you going to merge them into one? Otherwise won't it get messy with lots of threads all having the same name?
    Interesting point. It has happened that there were multiple threads created on the same soundtrack.

I guess add in "search to see if a thread has already been created"?
    And if it is already created, add it as a mirror or if it's different quality, info, covers, etc, add to it?

Yea, but overall, it is an admin job to keep the lists clean. It is on us to make sure we are following the site's rules when we post. The rest is up to them. We can tell people the rules over and over, but they don't really listen often. And there will always be new members popping in, who don't read the rules. We go through that about Varese how often? We just end up arguing and fighting over the ins and outs of it more often than not, and that does nothing constructive...

The only we way to check this would be to look at a link in the Hunt thread, for instance, then go to the main list to be sure it was posted there too. That's more than a casual thing, here and there, and I think our trying to worry about it will just give more headaches. Admin came up with this plan, just lets let them work out the bugs, and how to deal with it....

This is going to be incredibly annoying initially (for contributors,) and eventually a Godsend for everybody. The megathreads are great, but just try finding anything; pot luck, at best. Obviously the only sensible solution (that maintains the incredibly popular concept of megathreads) is to ask that folk crosspost to the appropriate subforum at the same time.

Thank you for taking this decision, which was really the only option as far as elegance, ease of use, and mass appeal is concerned.

What about if we have something (new game soundtrack) that has been posted first in lossy, then is posted in lossless, then a user such as myself gets the same soundtrack and posts a proper rip. Should we then reply to the thread that should have been created by the person who uploaded it in mp3 and add the links there? I know my lossless game thread has an index so it is easier to find stuff.
    Loveliness, Elegance, and Nobility Compilations
    Angela Aki Discography
    Kokia discography
    Sun Yanzi Discography
    Toshihiko Sahashi Thread

Sirusjr, I guess in that case we should reply and add the new links to the existent thread, and update the original post making reference to the various rips made for the score and pointing to the respective posts. Like a mini-index, but in the original post.

The only problem with that is certain users like to add a requirement in their threads that no mirrors be posted. So we would need an overall rule prohibiting that.

It seems I'm disgusting. Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    I'm sorry to bother but I'd like some help with a matter that's confusing me:

I'm the author of the [Hidden link. Register to see links.]... it's always been slightly out-of-place on the forum, but with the new policy I'd like to know how to behave about it. It's a big thread, but I don't think it's messy, you can find only books there.
    So, what do I do with it? I should keep things like they were or do I have to change something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanico View Post
    Sirusjr, I guess in that case we should reply and add the new links to the existent thread, and update the original post making reference to the various rips made for the score and pointing to the respective posts. Like a mini-index, but in the original post.
    That could be a problem: the thread's author might not be around/forget to update the OP. Sure, moderators can take care of it, but I think they're quite busy, already.
    Troublesome
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by Sirusjr View Post
    The only problem with that is certain users like to add a requirement in their threads that no mirrors be posted. So we would need an overall rule prohibiting that.
    I personally don't recognise such requests. Are we not here to share? What on earth is the purpose in uploading something - ie, sharing it, but with the proviso that it be tied to a certain hosting service, and when the link expires (which could be anywhere between thirty seconds and five years) that's the end of the file? That's absolute nonsense. Share and share alike. Mirrors are a useful service provided by good people; and sometimes they can improve upon the original upload. (Example - in the past, I've re-tagged albums with Kanji tags in English or Romaji and mirrored them.

When I upload, it's because I *want* it to spread around. It's bad ettiquete to steal somebody's links and post them on another forum, that I can understand - but what on earth is wrong with re-uploading elsewhere and circulating those links?

File sharing isn't about accolades or competitons... it's about making something that formerly wasn't available, available.

The Last Ninjawolf <^o^> Jessie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Scott Kennedy View Post
    I'm sorry to bother but I'd like some help with a matter that's confusing me:

I'm the author of the [Hidden link. Register to see links.]... it's always been slightly out-of-place on the forum, but with the new policy I'd like to know how to behave about it. It's a big thread, but I don't think it's messy, you can find only books there.
    So, what do I do with it? I should keep things like they were or do I have to change something?
    I think your thread would be fine as it is, the new policy only really applies to music uploads.

Mario, at your service. TripleMMM's Avatar
    Hiya! Glad the forum is in full swing again. Anyway, about this, all I can say is that I like the idea alot, but I like the megathreads that are series/franchise specific the most. I can get all that I want from those. But atleast this gives us a little more (or too much) room to work with... And I like TangoTreats crosspost idea, gives you more flow to go in and out from one thread to the other for a specific soundtrack from a franchise...

Not my idea... but a good one, I feel...

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Scott Kennedy View Post
    That could be a problem: the thread's author might not be around/forget to update the OP. Sure, moderators can take care of it, but I think they're quite busy, already.
    Good point.
    My only concern is if a user will open a new thread just for their own rip or new link, ultimately many users will fill up the forum with many open threads for the same soundtrack, and at different mp3 bitrates and lossless versions.
    My opinion is, if the thread's author could update the original post, that would be preferable. If not, and for to not clog up the downloads section with redudant threads, then the user who wants to share their new rip, will post under the existent thread, and everyone will know that all the different rips of the soundtrack will be there.

I think this could cause chaos - the 'front page' of each section filling up at an absurd rate, threads jostling around, making things LESS immediately accessible. The sheer volume of uploads with threads is going to get messy (partly undoing the cosmetic 'neatness' of the new system).

Also, the difficulty of searching for specific soundtracks/composers is being wildly exaggerated. Even in the most unwieldy of megathreads it's perfectly possible to find what you're after in a couple of minutes - AND possibly bump into other stuff that you hadn't considered. Where's the joy of serendipity in all this?

Indexing the big threads instead a la Lossless VGM might be another way. I'd certainly be willing to contribute.

Sarah
    if the activity makes it too busy, we can separate it further, by having a lossless subsection for each forum, or a place for official releases vs rips, etc.

Leon Scott Kennedy: i'm fine with you keeping that thread as is <3

i wasn't even aware that people we doing this until recently. that's absurdly selfish and silly and not something anyone needs to listen to; if it's a big enough problem we'll have to bar people from even making comments like that. the goal here is to share music and make it easier for people to download music; that doesn't help anyone.

I wouldn't worry about all this. The new deal has been here for less than a day. Just let it go some, see how it works, and let Sarah and all adjust where they feel needed. Chill...listen to the music...

*sigh* There go my contributions... I don't have time to create a new thread for every new score I post...
    Wishlist: Rest Stop 1 & 2 @320 (Bear McCreary), Batman Returns La-La Expanded (Elfman), Small Soldiers @320 (Goldsmith) Enough @320, Hot Fuzz Promo @320, Made In Dagenham (Arnold), Animals United (David Newman) - Please PM if You Have

With 0.6 posts per day, not all of them scores, and a new thread taking between 5 and 10 seconds to create... I'm sure you'll find a way to manage this additional workload...

Dr. Death, The Forsaken Undead Deadagenor's Avatar
    What about my Nature/Native Styled music thread, to my best knowledge, mine is the only one of its kind in existence, does this new rule mean that every album that I post henceforth, has to be in its own thread, because my thread is in no way a "megathread", with my settings, I have I believe 2 pages, maybe 3. I am just wanting some clarification on this please from Jessie and/or Sarah.
    As always, THANK YOU to my fellow contributers.

The Last Ninjawolf <^o^> Jessie's Avatar
    Yeah, you would have to make a new thread for each new upload. The new policy is for megathreads/collections threads and your thread would fall under a collections thread.

I'll move it too, as it's not vgm related.

Dr. Death, The Forsaken Undead Deadagenor's Avatar
    Thanks for the clarification Jessie, most appreciated! And thank you for moving my thread, I was gonna ask about having it moved, since it is not VGM, it does have film scores and soundtracks though, so maybe there?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast