Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: music that may NOT be posted for legal reasons

Quote Originally Posted by burneggroll View Post
    Those who think "this is technically illegal", should get the hell out. And go back to school. Copyright means just that, it is my right to copy. And under Fair Use doctrines I have the right to share that freely. Infringement only occurs if the original rights owner is somehow intentionally damaged (by deprivation of value, theft of sales, impugning reputation, ect...). [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Once a rights owner distributes his product for free, that owner cannot prevent continued free sharing. Two Steps From Hell does offer free streaming music at their website. They do still have the right to ask you not to share that music. And you can put it back up again. This action has been upheld in higher courts worldwide more than once. Carefully note that legal defense costs are extremely expensive and have bankrupted more than one 'winner' (notably Veoh vs. Universal Music [Hidden link. Register to see links.]). Better to just roll over and let the big dogs fight. They don't want our free promotional efforts, fine... we'll devote our efforts to someone that loves music first.

BTW- The Grateful Dead encouraged tapers to come to their live concerts. They only had 2 rules; don't block anyone's view and bring your own extension cords. Today you can find 8,134 free "The Grateful Dead" shows at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] They gave away the music and still made millions of dollars. My heroes!

I am not a lawyer. Laws are different everywhere, do not rely on rumour, consult your local attorney.

Yes indeed one set of laws varies from one country to another yet the main principle remains and that's to protect the interests of the innocents and maintain fairness and equality. thanks for sharing what you know about it, I learned something from it..

Soundtrack Custom Covers
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] | [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    “Before we get started, does anyone wanna get out?”

Way to go on that research burn.

Bartender to Iris & Panda burneggroll's Avatar

Thumbs up

Thanks for the encouragement. You are all too kind.

If you are concerned about your kids, Internet copyright issues, and need to learn more...
    see: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

EFF's Teaching Copyright curriculum was created to help teachers present the laws surrounding digital rights in a balanced way. In five distinct lessons, students are challenged to:
    • Reflect on what they already know about copyright law.
    • See the connection between the history of innovation and the history of copyright law.
    • Learn about fair use, free speech, and the public domain and how those concepts relate to using materials created by others.
    • Experience various stakeholders' interests and master the principles of fair use through a mock trial.

Teaching Copyright will require your students to think about their role in the online world and provide them with the legal framework they need to make informed choices about their online behavior.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    These are free lessons & lesson plans designed by The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) for educating teens. The language is plain spoken. I think the complete presentation takes about 6 hours.

All posts are for public interest purposes only. Commercial re-use is not authorized.

My Favorite Audios Checklist

Shriner
    Those who think "this is technically illegal", should get the hell out. And go back to school. Copyright means just that, it is my right to copy. And under Fair Use doctrines I have the right to share that freely. Infringement only occurs if the original rights owner is somehow intentionally damaged (by deprivation of value, theft of sales, impugning reputation, ect...). [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Once a rights owner distributes his product for free, that owner cannot prevent continued free sharing. Two Steps From Hell does offer free streaming music at their website. They do still have the right to ask you not to share that music. And you can put it back up again. This action has been upheld in higher courts worldwide more than once. Carefully note that legal defense costs are extremely expensive and have bankrupted more than one 'winner' (notably Veoh vs. Universal Music [Hidden link. Register to see links.]). Better to just roll over and let the big dogs fight. They don't want our free promotional efforts, fine... we'll devote our efforts to someone that loves music first.

BTW- The Grateful Dead encouraged tapers to come to their live concerts. They only had 2 rules; don't block anyone's view and bring your own extension cords. Today you can find 8,134 free "The Grateful Dead" shows at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] They gave away the music and still made millions of dollars. My heroes!

I am not a lawyer. Laws are different everywhere, do not rely on rumour, consult your local attorney.
    Strange, at the moment I am not relaxed, because of personal things going on right now at home. Other than that, I should not get into this. Correct, correct, correct... etc. I love film music. People will not make music, as I hear it contained within a film available. Therefore, I seek out complete scores, wherever I find them. Please, forward your concern to those who have this music and refuse to make it available. I am but a lowly citizen, powerless to get what I want. Perhaps you can take the concern of people such as I, to those with the power of the complete score. Your help would be greatly appreciated...

Grand Shriner

Thumbs down ...î...

"... Help me get my complete scores !!! Bou hou hou"

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Arial View Post
    Who authorized the release of this photo of me shamelessly begging for all sessions tapes to be released???

Grand Shriner
    ... And actually the rarity of this kind of stuff makes them more valuable, not mentionning they are rarely processed to death like the official releases use to be (mastering, peak limiting, compression, and so on!). So on the contrary of you, I pray for they don't release something I'd love to have for being able to find unprocessed bootleg. And if sometimes I don't have other choice than mp3 instead of lossless, well then.

I listen more often the "Bourne Supremacy" mp3 bootleg than my copy from Varese (wich has compressed and cut off waveform, what is obvious even without checking).

Shriner
    ... And actually the rarity of this kind of stuff makes them more valuable, not mentionning they are rarely processed to death like the official releases use to be (mastering, peak limiting, compression, and so on!). So on the contrary of you, I pray for they don't release something I'd love to have for being able to find unprocessed bootleg. And if sometimes I don't have other choice than mp3 instead of lossless, well then.

I listen more often the "Bourne Supremacy" mp3 bootleg than my copy from Varese (wich has compressed and cut off waveform, what is obvious even without checking).
    This is what I enjoy about all of you here. The above information on mastering, peak limits and compression is interesting and informs a mere lay person such as I, to the means of delivery I never considered. Hell, I've downloaded without understanding how I've been receiving the final product. I have pretty good ears, but I've not really noticed I've been downloading inferior sound. With all the talent here, people should get together and offer companies your service in releasing clean, listenable music.

Grand Shriner
    That's what every one concerned with the evolution of sound recording since digital technology popped up calls "the loudness war".

My experience and take on this says a well managed mastering has great chances to blow away the common "blast it up" treatment recording companies are searching for.

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Stephens View Post
    ... With all the talent here, people should get together and offer companies your service in releasing clean, listenable music.
    Let's don't get too naive: most of these people (and notably the biggest companies) don't care and seek the cheapest and the fastest. Where digital technology allows real improvement, it also unfortunaly allows looseness. They rarely offer their sound engineers the ideal conditions for making good job.

Catering to the pop masses is completely different than the audiophile ear. If you love the native sound of live music don't miss these copyright-free postings:

94,130 concerts
    (by band)

Grand Shriner
    You're incredible... And that site looks incredible. The first thing I randomly checked (wich I don't know about) is downloadable as... 24-bit Flac !!!
    (perfect for mastering stuff yourself if needed ).

Really amazing. Thanks !

... copyright-free...
    I'm not english hence why I ask: isn't it rather "copyleft" ?

Shriner
    That's what every one concerned with the evolution of sound recording since digital technology popped up calls "the loudness war".

My experience and take on this says a well managed mastering has great chances to blow away the common "blast it up" treatment recording companies are searching for.

Let's don't get too naive: most of these people (and notably the biggest companies) don't care and seek the cheapest and the fastest. Where digital technology allows real improvement, it also unfortunaly allows looseness. They rarely offer their sound engineers the ideal conditions for making good job.
    Interesting Arial... saying that, let me say, this is how I've gone about obtaining a few scores. From the dvd (decrypter) and demux, I go to Adobe once I capture the AC3 file. Several times, I've been able to get the music tracks. Trying it now with Bond scores, but unfortunately the French 5.1 has effects. Using this method, after placing file in Adobe, I now have a direct from dvd file. This way I need not do anything else to file (sound) to have a better product...or do I?

Grand Shriner
    I'm not involved with riping audio from DVD, I'm not very interested so I don't know (not the best thread for that discussion besides).

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Stephens View Post
    ... Trying it now with Bond scores, but unfortunately the French 5.1 has effects...
    ... Pas de bol !

{redacted}I'm not english hence why I ask: isn't it rather "copyleft" ?
    Very good! Copyleft has no legal meaning. But, yes that is the concept. See: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Meanwhile I'm wondering if this applies to music?
    Observance #1: the movie with the most free download links is the top dollar box office smash. The more free links the movie has, the more more likely the movie is making money. Lots of links = lots of sales; tickets, dvd, blu-ray, on-demand.
    Observance #2: movies with no free links, are not selling very well, nobody is watching.

So, is the number of free links directly related to how many sales? Could free links be promoting sales?

Side note: Microsoft gave away free release copies of Windows 7 to anyone that wanted one. They did this for a year before they ever sold one. Anybody that thinks the best marketing strategy is; "No, no. You can only get it by paying for it here." will be left behind when it's time to count the money.

Grand Shriner
    Haha... Indeed I though of the word play and indeed... it has no meaning...

Shriner
    Side note: Microsoft gave away free release copies of Windows 7 to anyone that wanted one. They did this for a year before they ever sold one.
    And how soon we forget. Was in the market last year to upgrade to win7. Discovered a link and discovered...I missed the freebee by a week...

Onion Kid
    I'm surprised the RIAA isn't casing this joint 24/7 since they are a bunch of nazi assholes. Then again they very well could be and probably are.

Grand Shriner
    they probably are, but since most of our stuff is niche, and gets 50-100 dls, its not taht big of interest compared to the latest lady gaga crap that is on pirate bay getting 100k downloads
    Pixar Cast and Crew CD Thread - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

wish-
    august rush score (flac)
    16 Days of Glory (flac)
    i robot ost (flac)

MM. The labels watch. We know for a fact that Varese had spies here, at least for a while, and FSM is well aware of us. And while most may leave us alone, I gotta think calling them names and being confrontational is perhaps not the best way to keep it that way. You know, why poke the tiger in the eye, if it aint messing with ya?

Unhappy

I'm with babydoll on this. There are plenty of extremely talented musicians that deserve and would appreciate our support.

Much as I like to poke the bear, I would hate to get fish slapped.
    and it's a big bear...

Off topic news;

Grammy-winning singer Amy Winehouse, age 27, has died.
    Goodbye Amy, we hardly knew you.
    May you find the peace you sought here, in the next world.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Lyedecker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    MM. The labels watch. We know for a fact that Varese had spies here, at least for a while, and FSM is well aware of us. And while most may leave us alone, I gotta think calling them names and being confrontational is perhaps not the best way to keep it that way. You know, why poke the tiger in the eye, if it aint messing with ya?
    i agree with babydoll.

i bet they still have spies here.

it makes me super paranoid about who i talk to.
    scratch a cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist
    -george carlin

Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    I'm against poking any feline...

Onion Kid
    They don't care what I say. Who am I just some dude on a message form. I used to hug my cat alot.

Captain Hailer TheSparktank™ 2.1's Avatar
    For the movie The Expendables, the owning company hired peeps to monitor popular torrent sites to see what was being shared.
    A lot of IP addresses in the USA got subpoenas and will be facing piracy charges...

That's just for the movie The Expendables.
    Spoiler!

So spies among us?
    I wouldn't doubt.
    How many spammy posts showed up recently with just one comment "thank you guys" from a new user with no posts made in the past couple months????
    ʰᵃᶦᶫ ʰʸᵈʳᵃ

Night Flight Lieutenant dsguardian's Avatar
    I very rarely download movies, especially anything new, but if I do, I never ever use torrents. Way too damn risky. Better to find someone sharing it via megaupload, then try to snag it before it gets taken down. But like I said, I um... ahem.... wouldn't know anything about stuff like that.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast