Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: music that may NOT be posted for legal reasons

Grand Shriner
    What about this Lawyers are us stuff? Does this mean that FFShrine will be terminated?

*bump*
    For soundtrack artwork visit [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Master Special Effects artist Williamtaylor1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lokutus82 View Post
    Nearly all? Show one which isn't??

Well, most of my uploads are music that has NO copyright, and mostly has not been released by any label!

However, one thing that these people just don't seem to realize is that the FUTURE of CDs, DVDs, etc. is VERY limited! Take a look at "Blockbuster" and "Hollywood" video chains, GONE! If Varese, and FSM want to continue in the music business, they are going to HAVE to give us consumers a break, and put the music up for internet download, at 99 cents per title, along with all the covers, etc. They will not have to pay up front money for Disc production, or advertising, etc. they can just sit back and rake in the bucks, and give the artists 5% like they do now. As it is, they only pay about 5 cents per CD, and 8 cents per DVD, for the WHOLE package, and turn around, and sell it to the stores, with a suggested retail of 14.99 to 29.99!!!! Talk about your total SCAM!!!
    Wish I had a product that I could charge 18,000% mark up like that!

I am sure that they will find a sizable profit margin! HEY! Whatever happened to "Tower Records"? G O N E ! ! ! !

Varese, and FSM, READ THE WRITING ON THE WALL!!!!!

William

Well, that is one point they are trying to make with these box sets, that true colleters still need or want the actual cd's and packageing on their shelves. That is still true, just as many people still want actual books and movies. Less than there used to be, of course, but still plenty to keep the labels going. Digital will never be a medium of choice for some people. If I could but these sets, I certainly would. I do not ever dl books. Can't stand digi books. I must hold the real thing in my hands...

Master Special Effects artist Williamtaylor1969's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    Well, that is one point they are trying to make with these box sets, that true colleters still need or want the actual cd's and packageing on their shelves. That is still true, just as many people still want actual books and movies. Less than there used to be, of course, but still plenty to keep the labels going. Digital will never be a medium of choice for some people. If I could but these sets, I certainly would. I do not ever dl books. Can't stand digi books. I must hold the real thing in my hands...
    Yes, well, you have to admit, that it is the WAVE of the future! I have over 60 Gigs of Ebooks in my computer. Some I have purchased thru Amazon, etc. and many I have D/L'd from the net. When you hold a book in your hands, or look at a "Kindle" in your hands, there is very little difference, except with the Kindle, you don't have to turn the pages! Hehehehehehe

William

?? I LOVE turning the pages.

Captain Hailer TheSparktankô 2.1's Avatar
    books are less stressful on the eyes. LCD monitors cut down the eye stress a lot more than CRT monitors. but still, there's other things to consider: brightness of the monitor compared to the lighting of the room. How long you've been looking at said screen.

mobile viewers should be fine though.
    ʰᵃᶦᶫ ʰʸᵈʳᵃ

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarron2005 View Post
    What about this Lawyers are us stuff? Does this mean that FFShrine will be terminated?
    Just saw that thread.

So, what's up with this? Is the boogeyman really out to get us or is it some child throwing us for a loop?

IF they were lawyers, they would have contacted Sarah via proper chanels. Even if they are real lawyers, in real life, just posting random threats an a thread would not be considered a legal response, I don't think.

lawyers have no business leaving messages in the forum. and they wouldnt pick a name that somewhat copies a commercial name like "toys r us"...otherwise a childish lawyer would show up and leave a message too...

The fact that the mods/admins/fsm are no longer talking and all the "chat" going on in the download section.....suggests...

↓ chocolate misu agrees

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    ^ If they were real, I'm sure they would have picked a more serious screen name other than one that has half the name of a toy store

-edit sparks beat me to it lol ^__^
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Quote Originally Posted by sparktank View Post
    lawyers have no business leaving messages in the forum. and they wouldnt pick a name that somewhat copies a commercial name like "toys r us"...otherwise a childish lawyer would show up and leave a message too...

The fact that the mods/admins/fsm are no longer talking and all the "chat" going on in the download section.....suggests...

↓ chocolate misu agrees
    Not just chat, Sparky..visual aides, for you...!!!

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I would not worry about the random posts for now, but I would not assume things are peachy either. I have heard a couple of disturbing rumors..

i couldnt look at them, said i need to login o.o

A few comments...

(William) (As it is, they only pay about 5 cents per CD, and 8 cents per DVD, for the WHOLE package, and turn around, and sell it to the stores, with a suggested retail of 14.99 to 29.99!!!! Talk about your total SCAM!!!
    Wish I had a product that I could charge 18,000% mark up like that!)
    You know as well as anybody does that the cost of making a CD is far greater than whatever few pence it costs to physically manufacture the disc. The fees paid by a record company to get the rights to release albums are exhorbitant; FSM will not make a profit on the RJ box until all copies have sold out - and even then it is hardly likely to be a massive sum of money.

If you want a make a massive pile of cash... the movie soundtrack business is NOT the place to be. They do it because they love it.

I'd love to see cheaper downloads too - I'd particularly like the ability to obtain a download copy of an album I have just purchased. The infrastructure to do this would be very simple to set up - particularly for a label like FSM who do all their business online anyway. I buy a CD, I get a link for a digital copy which I can listen to NOW. That'd be fantastic.

Sadly, it's not a case that they charge a massive sum of money because they want to rip people off... it's because, in a small niche market where you're not expecting to sell hundreds of thousands of copies, selling your product at a high price is the only way you have any chance at all of getting back your investment.

If the RJ box cost $10 they'd probably have to sell fifty million copies to make back their money. Granted, it would probably be more popular than it is at $150, but it's not going to sell that much. Economics is a sad fact of life.

Well, most of my uploads are music that has NO copyright, and mostly has not been released by any label!
    All music has copyright unless the rights holder publically renounces the copyright and thus releases the music into the public domain. (Or if the recording is so old the copyright has expired; as does in the United Kingdom after fifty years.)

Re: Lawyers are us... Obvious bullshit is obvious. Anybody who has read the copyright act and can string together a sentence likes to pretend they're lawyers nowadays - particularly on the internet!

Until one receives a legally bound and signed document in the post, these lawyers do not exist.

See, that is a common misconception that is widely held. A company that holds the right to a score does not have any obligation to release said score. Any music written for the score is covered. So, unreleased, expanded, composer's promo, and even dvd rips are all still covered by said copyright.

Studios OWN the music. Only Korngold had it in his contract that he would own his scores... hence he reused the work in his future classical library. Studios withhold film scores- or muck them up to be more commercial by inserting the songs from the film- and thus create a "shoot themselves in the foot" situation. This downloading thing gives me a free trial on a score... if I really like it, I go out and buy it. Artists SHOULD be rewarded for their talent & effort no matter how small the payback.

In the case of FSM... the forum board was created to house its faithful, allow them to bicker unto bitter cruelty unto one another. But they are expected to shell out for the FSM releases and kiss the hem of the garment. Sometimes they don't buy a disc. "Eye of the Devil" which is a great score is an example. But when you start creating these epic box packages with ghastly prices you are setting yourself up for possible defeat. I'm not interested in Star Trek anything, so it isn't my concern. I'm also not concerned about hypocrites at FSM who go into an uproar over music copied/bootlegged/ or transmitted via Quija Board. They all do it. So now the saga is OVER. They can continue to take pot shots at whomever they chose... but mostly it seems they eat their own young. Lukas sadly showed the colors he exhibited in the early 90s when a participant on r.m.m. Oh those glorious flame wars with Ford Thaxton were epic... very personal, very nasty.

The music plays on.

^^ Agree with that; although I wouldn't have phrased it in such a direct, venomous fashion... if shoe fits, wear it.

Forgive my lack of writing skills and communication... no venom intended, just the facts. (big hugs) Now go buy "Eye of the Devil". Great score for an enigmatic and practically forgotten film... Sharon Tate's first.

Quote Originally Posted by Phideas1 View Post
    Forgive my lack of writing skills and communication... no venom intended, just the facts. (big hugs) Now go buy "Eye of the Devil". Great score for an enigmatic and practically forgotten film... Sharon Tate's first.
    I agree about "Eye of the Devil" and I also agree with some of your comments Ive been on the receiving end of their pathetic pot shots a few times in the past , there are quite a few on that board that are hypocrites and believe me I know , better stop some of them read this board too.
    Why I haven't said much over there about this subject I dont want to hear it.
    Goldsmith Rules!! Whovian Extraordinaire!!!

Sorry for the fruitless bump, but since this is a sticky it doesn't really matter.

I just woke up from the most bizzare dream - about this whole situation. Film Score Monthly had commissioned a cartoon series (in a style something like The Simpsons, but CGI) and it was about us. Sarah was a pink bunny rabbit with crossed eyes sitting at a typewriter (a very cute one, it has to be said,) and I think she was the boss of an office full of people that consisted of the rest of us. She'd bark out orders to us to go ripping off small struggling record companies, and we'd all do it. Sanico was a reddish-brown ferret, or a squirrel or something of some description who I think was the second in command; she brought news that the FSM Police were coming to arrest us all. We all flailed around like idiots and Sarah said "Duuuhhhh" and kept on typing.

Shortly after that, some shiny black robot police officers (handsome and slick, of course - all the Shrine office workers were somewhat retarded) turned up and started arresting people.

It all got a bit hazy then; then I was sitting outside of the office, in the middle of the road (?!) with Lukas Kendall - we both had pints of beer and we were talking about the cartoon and he was threatening to glass me in the face because I worked for "The Shrine". Then my alarm clock went off and I woke up.

Very weird. Sorry for this; I just had to get this strangeness written down somewhere before "real life" causes the dream to fade away into nothingness. I don't do drugs and I wasn't drunk last night, just so you know...!

TT

Tell me more about the cute typewriter ?.

Was there any music playing in the background? say....Ron Jones music (LOL).
    Next they'll be making threats against our lives because we dream of music!!

Grand Shriner
    no, they'll just want licensing fees...
    Pixar Cast and Crew CD Thread - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

wish-
    august rush score (flac)
    16 Days of Glory (flac)
    i robot ost (flac)

My dreams are frequently scored by Jerry Goldsmith. Don't ask me why. I am a strange person; moreso when asleep...

And Zimmer for your worst nightmares