Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Jerry Goldsmith / Chain Reaction (Deluxe Edition) / Remastered / FLAC

Angry Jerry Goldsmith / Chain Reaction (Deluxe Edition) / Remastered / FLAC

Since arriving here some years ago people have been constantly begging me for a Deluxe Edition of the 1996 Goldsmith-score 'Chain Reaction' and my answer always was that it´s impossible to improve the shitty sounding bootleg that´s out there. While this is still true, a few days ago I decided (against my better judgement) to produce an expanded version of 'Chain Reaction'. Maybe this release will prompt Varèse to release a Deluxe Edition (with hopefully improved sound) themselves; judging from the number of times I´ve been asked for it, it should sell very well.

You all know that the bootleg sounds like crap. Surprise, surprise, my version still sounds like crap, as I´ve said many times before I´m unable to remove the readily audible, abrasive defects of the additional tracks. Brass is still shrill, flutes are ringing like hell, the overall sound of several tracks is so awfully 'digital' that it makes my ears bleed. Still, I WAS able to tone the defects down quite a bit. Some people might enjoy them now (I do not however). The bootleg contained all the OST-tracks, 85 % of the rest had this horrible sounding digital personality, the final 15 % were sounding well but different from the OST tracks. As usual, I tried to move the different sonics closer together, if I was successful or not... well, you be the judge of it. I changed the overall sound signature into something more bassy, colourful that´s less brittle. I like it but some might disagree.

Please take note that my Deluxe Edition is not complete; I simply couldn´t include all of the horrible sounding stuff. Things left off are the music for the museum chase, the evacuation and other small pieces. My decision not to include those tracks was helped by their - what I felt to be - musical unimportance; the museum music is just a rehash of the bridge music, the evacuation music is very similar to the track 'System Down'.

Musically this score is interesting. When it came out all those years ago it was my favourite score by Jerry Goldsmith for quite some time. The additional tracks however turn this score into an uncoherent mess... Jerry Goldsmith was known for composing stylistically extremely fleshed out and consistent scores. 'Chain Reaction' however changes styles several times, for example when introducing yet another synth, instrument, convoluted or synkopated rhythm late in the process, something that hasn´t been featured before. I wonder if Jerry had fun while scoring it...

My cover for 'Chain Reaction' is a dirty five-minute-job. Nothing spectacular, even ugly on occasion. I´m afraid, I wasn´t very inspired when creating it, a situation not improved by the fact that there are only a few high resolution pictures online. At least I hope it does its job of saying who the composer is, how the movie the music was written for is pronounced, blablabla.

Anyway, have fun!

P.S.: Everyone who asks (via PM) will get a link for this. For the time being, I´ve decided to fuck my aversion against leechers.

AND NOW A WARNING:

1. Links & password only via private message
    2. Do not ask for links in the thread, I will ignore those questions.
    3. Once the links expire, I won´t upload it again, someone else has to do that (maybe by creating mirrors?)
    4. Mp3's: I won´t provide them either

Tracklist:

1. Meet Eddie 4:35
    2. Open Minds 2:47
    3. Hydrogen Explosion 3:26*
    4. Suspicions 4:59*
    5. The Bridge 4:47*
    6. The Observatory 4:42*
    7. Ice Chase 5:50
    8. Assassins 5:16
    9. Meeting Shannon 2:10
    10. Access 3:28
    11. No Solution 2:24
    12. Out of Control 2:21
    13. System Down 2:28
    14. Open Door 3:13
    15. Out Of The Hole 3:31

* severe audible defects

Grand Shriner
    I actually love the cover
    Replaced my old iTunes one
    SonicAdventure likes this.

Oh, I forgot to add: I will take count how many times I´ll be sending the links for this release via PM. After a while the number will be posted in this thread so that it might be easier for Varèse to decide how many units to produce.

I will not collect whom I´ve sending the links to of course. Just in case you´re wondering. Who am I? The NSA?

Grand Shriner
    Thanks.

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAdventure View Post
    Oh, I forgot to add: I will take count how many times I´ll be sending the links for this release via PM. After a while the number will be posted in this thread so that it might be easier for Varèse to decide how many units to produce.
    Oooo, exciting!

I will not collect whom I´ve sending the links to of course. Just in case you´re wondering. Who am I? The NSA?
    haha (gives suspicious glare)
    SonicAdventure likes this.
    My Ultimate Complete Score or Recording Sessions Wishlist: (I do not have anything to trade)

3:10 To Yuma: Beltrami
    Braveheart: Horner
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: Giacchino
    Defiance (HQ): Howard
    Gladiator (HQ) Zimmer
    Man of Steel: Zimmer
    Quantum of Solace: Arnold
    Sherlock (TV SERIES): Arnold/Price
    U.S. Marshals: Goldsmith
    X-Men DOFP: Ottman

Grand Shriner
    Thanks for the effort! I ve never listened to it i ll try!

Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Thanks for the effort! I ve never listened to it i ll try!
    It´s a good score. Today, peope like Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer are the Kings of action, but back in the '90s only Goldsmith was - and it shows here. Even though the movie is somewhat dubious today (and not very good).

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Some people need to clear PM space, otherwise I can´t send them the links. I´m looking at you, sssnakeplisken

Please, re-send your PM after you´ve cleared some space.

Grand Shriner
    It´s a good score. Today, peope like Brian Tyler or Hans Zimmer are the Kings of action, but back in the '90s only Goldsmith was - and it shows here. Even though the movie is somewhat dubious today (and not very good).

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Some people need to clear PM space, otherwise I can´t send them the links. I´m looking at you, sssnakeplisken

Please, re-send your PM after you´ve cleared some space.
    Even today Jerry Goldsmith is the king of Action..... Zimmer and Tyler can´t hold a candle to Goldsmith......

Grand Shriner
    Thanks for your work on this project and for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocklegend2000 View Post
    Even today Jerry Goldsmith is the king of Action..... Zimmer and Tyler can´t hold a candle to Goldsmith......
    Hmmm... I would disagree. Zimmer certainly is repetitive and bland more often than not; Tyler is not that elegant and refined. But Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World blew me right out of the water. Very impressive works.

And while we´re at it: Chain Reaction isn´t so individual itself. Goldsmith quotes variations of 'Executive Decision' (a lot) and even 'Star Trek: First Contact' (the 'Quest for God' theme from Star Trek V that was re-purposed for starfleet). And one of those distinctive synths has been used again 3 years later for 'The Mummy'
    Calidoran likes this.

Thank you for your excellent work!

You have my respect for trying to improve the current situation, but I highly doubt that you will be able to convince anyone at Varese with those numbers (regardless how high/good they may actually be in the end). Anyway, thanks for trying nonetheless and thanks for another of your deluxe editions!
    Last edited by Kaolin; 04-07-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Sonic, you've done it again, man! While I agree the boot sounds like crap, whatever you've produced has to be superior to it based on your sterling record PM on the way!

Would love a link, as always, when you give Jerry a well-deserved special!

EDIT: Ah, forget it! I just read again your first post! Silly me...
    Last edited by soundtrekker; 04-08-2014 at 05:17 AM.
    Risk... Risk is our business!
    Captain James T. Kirk, "Return to Tomorrow"

Grand Shriner
    Hmmm... I would disagree. Zimmer certainly is repetitive and bland more often than not; Tyler is not that elegant and refined. But Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World blew me right out of the water. Very impressive works.

And while we´re at it: Chain Reaction isn´t so individual itself. Goldsmith quotes variations of 'Executive Decision' (a lot) and even 'Star Trek: First Contact' (the 'Quest for God' theme from Star Trek V that was re-purposed for starfleet). And one of those distinctive synths has been used again 3 years later for 'The Mummy'

Yeah agree with Tyler,,,, he has some amazing chops when not asked to copy Zimmer ..... Zimmer on the other hand is boring and repetitive and needs studio tricks to make his music sound interesting .....

Funny that. I can't listen to more than 5 minutes of Tyler anything.
    scoremaniatic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaolin View Post
    You have my respect for trying to improve the current situation, but I highly doubt that you will be able to convince anyone at Varese with those numbers (regardless how high/good they may actually be in the end). Anyway, thanks for trying nonetheless and thanks for another of your deluxe editions!
    Ah, you know how it is: hope dies last. And I´m certain that Varese now and then has a look at this forum, just to find out how the current situation might be. Should that be the case, they should have something to look at, hopefully prompting them into action.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
    Sonic, you've done it again, man! While I agree the boot sounds like crap, whatever you've produced has to be superior to it based on your sterling record PM on the way!
    Don´t hold your hopes up. Parts of my Edition still sound like crap.

pm sent, thanks Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Rocklegend2000 View Post
    Yeah agree with Tyler,,,, he has some amazing chops when not asked to copy Zimmer ..... Zimmer on the other hand is boring and repetitive and needs studio tricks to make his music sound interesting .....
    True. But on occasion I like his style. 'Inception' for example is stylistically extremely coherent... if one listens to the OST (sessions are something else). It´s not brilliant but it´s good. Especially when one takes away all the marketing gobbledygook. I also like 'Man of Steel'... yeah, sue me. Still prefer J. Williams but if I ignore for a moment that MOS is a Superman score I like it

Links received.
    Thank You, ~ Z
    Last edited by Zoran; 04-07-2014 at 04:00 PM.

"grand n00b shrinerist"
    But Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World blew me right out of the water. Very impressive works.
    I definitely agree when it comes to Thor The Dark World. One of THE best in a while imho. Here's hoping there will be a "complete" or recording sessions soon
    Jasonjhn8 likes this.
    I don't have the time to check all my links regularly so should you want something and the links are dead, send me a PM, DON'T clutter the thread with requests for re-ups. I will be likely to ignore those.

RealFood
    Link received.

Thank you, SonicAdventure!

Take care.

Thanks a bunch Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Calidoran View Post
    I definitely agree when it comes to Thor The Dark World. One of THE best in a while imho. Here's hoping there will be a "complete" or recording sessions soon
    Oh yes, please. One hopes that those sessions would be without the awful dynamic compression and the brickwall limiting destroying the sound of the OSTs.

Grand Shriner
    Thanks Sonic! Link received.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast