Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree181Likes

Thread: Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel TRL 3 - "An Ideal of Hope" - slight SFX [FLAC + 320 MP3]

Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel TLR 3 - "An Ideal of Hope" - slight SFX [FLAC + 320 MP3]

UPDATED 19/04/2013:

Well, like I did with The Dark Knight Rises Trailer 3 last year, from a digital cinema packaged version of the new Man of Steel trailer...

The new English DCP I got my hands on today has virtually no SFX, apart from the damn echo at the start... so it's completely lossless now for the FLAC version.

Download (v3 thanks metrotokyo!):
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    (mirroring greatly appreciated)

Listen to it on [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Runtime: 3:00

Enjoy!
    Last edited by antovolk; 04-19-2013 at 03:55 PM. Reason: UPDATED LINKS

G
    Thank, antovolk.

Grand Shriner
    I personally think Zimmer nailed it. He went the exact opposite direction of Batman, which speaks volumes. The percussion buildups and the soft intro just are just what the doctor ordered. Quite possibly Zimmer's most optimistically triumphant sound in years. There's even a nod to the classic Williams theme in there. Absolutely cannot wait for this one.

On that note, anyone know what the difference is in the two editions of the soundtrack? Both are 2 discs, apparently, but what else comes with the deluxe?

thx for the great work you did!!

nice...

I know this comment that i`m going to make is going to be a shock for most, seeing that he is liked here so much.

Personally i`m very dissapointed that he got this assignment, i never like this individual with his electronic and sinthesysed oriented scores, it`s a real shame that new Directors in Hollywood seems to have the same tastes, and choose to go with him, or with any of his gang for his movies.

It is my personal opinion, don`t take it the wrong way, maybe it`s just me, i dislike him a lot and it`s a real real shame this situation, when John Williams it was the perfect man for this job, if not posible then Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Christopher Young, John Debney or Patrick Doyle would be a better choice.

Anyway, i`m so sad

Grand Shriner
    Thank you for the share. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] are mirrors for the FLAC.

Zimmer has his uses - though his influence on the art has been baleful. But this piece seems very much his standard product, I'm afraid. I'm not counting out the score yet, but my hopes have been tempered.

Since Snyder seems to be going for gravitas, I would have recommended Desplat.

"So what? Big deal." Hans dusted of the major mode and took it out for a spin. But, hey, drums….

Shriner
    Many thanks, Antovolk. Tip: imagining the Buzzkill Brigade's posts being read by Terence Stamp makes them more fun.

Shriner
    o gosh~ u made it yeah
    Clovie and Drunkenmunkey like this.

Quote Originally Posted by scoremaniatic View Post
    I know this comment that i`m going to make is going to be a shock for most, seeing that he is liked here so much.

Personally i`m very dissapointed that he got this assignment, i never like this individual with his electronic and sinthesysed oriented scores, it`s a real shame that new Directors in Hollywood seems to have the same tastes, and choose to go with him, or with any of his gang for his movies.

It is my personal opinion, don`t take it the wrong way, maybe it`s just me, i dislike him a lot and it`s a real real shame this situation, when John Williams it was the perfect man for this job, if not posible then Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Christopher Young, John Debney or Patrick Doyle would be a better choice.

Anyway, i`m so sad

Zack Snyder is no new director. Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians (the owl movie). He's no newbie. And Christopher Nolan trusted Hans for his Dark Knight trilogy. Gore Verbinski trusted him with the PotC films (and even Rob Marshall for OST), Michael Bay for The Rock and Pearl Harbor, I could go on and on. And your opinion is your opinion, it is absolutely fine that you don't like him. But maybe Hans has quite an impressive resumé because he's one of the best. It seems all John Williams does these days is Speilberg films. Just my two cents
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

I don't just specialize in vinyl soundtracks, I have some mainstream stuff as well. If you're curious, shoot me a PM

It is a great piece, but in my opinion (if this is indeed the new main theme?) it isn't going to be as instantly recognizable as the John Williams theme. Why, oh why does Zimmer always go the synth way? Why not use real strings instead of the synthetic ones and perhaps real brass instruments. The only real instruments I could hear was the piano.

Grand Shriner
    Say what you want about Hans Zimmer...Like him or not...That's pretty much normal. But in my opinion (and really I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Zimmer fan who thinks his work in the 80s and 90s is pure genius), Hans Zimmer revolutionized the scoring world.

He did!

Say what you want, but ever since the Rock his music has saturated the industry to the point of absurdity...

And now, fast forward almost 20 years later? It's practically a standard.

Like it or not, it is what it is...The synth has finally made its mark on the scoring world, and it's now practically mandatory.

What else can I tell you man? We now have about 7 years of dubstep arguably and partially thanks to this man's work...

Dubstep is the be-all and end-all of shite.

It is composers like John Williams who use full orchestras to realize their music, John Powell, Michael Giacchino, Danny Elfman and many more still use predominantly full symphonic orchestras.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutopurto View Post
    It is composers like John Williams who use full orchestras to realize their music, John Powell, Michael Giacchino, Danny Elfman and many more still use predominantly full symphonic orchestras.
    Well, these composers are all 'classically' trained musicians and know how to work the full package. Zimmer however, doesn't know shit about orchestration. He has his longtime friend and orchestrator Bruce Fowler, doing that job for him, collaborating on all movies Zimmer worked on since Bird on a Wire (1990). Wiiliams, Horner, Goldsmith, Giacchino,... all know (knew) how to direct a full symphonic orchestra, how to get the best out of it. Zimmer can only give directions to Fowler. Does that make him a worse musician? No, it does not, to me at least. And that's what I love about Zimmer, he creates from his feelings, knows how to put music on emotion/action, whatever is on screen, just by looking inside him and let feelings guide him. I understand completely why people diss him for that. But for me, that's the exact reason why his music works for film.
    byteme19, Clovie and marcorea1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKoftheOTA View Post
    Zack Snyder is no new director. Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians (the owl movie). He's no newbie. And Christopher Nolan trusted Hans for his Dark Knight trilogy. Gore Verbinski trusted him with the PotC films (and even Rob Marshall for OST), Michael Bay for The Rock and Pearl Harbor, I could go on and on. And your opinion is your opinion, it is absolutely fine that you don't like him. But maybe Hans has quite an impressive resumé because he's one of the best. It seems all John Williams does these days is Speilberg films. Just my two cents
    Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. It was (POTC, Pearl Harbor, ...) Jerry Bruckheimer's decision. Michael Bay clearly favored Steve Jablonsky, Gore Verbinski tends to Alan Silvestri.
    Well and Christopher Nolan? The best passages in the Dark Knight trilogy are those written by James Newton Howard.

It is probably simply a cost - benefit analysis. A good composer takes time and costs money. An orchestra? Hmm costs.
    Quality is definitely not the criterion. Hans Zimmer is certainly good to find talents, but he is not a good composer.
    Beyond the pale is the right word.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by scoremaniatic View Post
    It is my personal opinion, don`t take it the wrong way, maybe it`s just me, i dislike him a lot.(
    Believe me, it's not just you. The piece in the trailer is completely forgettable and disgustingly mundane. A real composer should have handled that assignment.
    Last edited by wimpel69; 04-19-2013 at 03:08 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by benuit View Post
    Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. It was (POTC, Pearl Harbor, ...) Jerry Bruckheimer's decision. Michael Bay clearly favored Steve Jablonsky, Gore Verbinski tends to Alan Silvestri.
    Well and Christopher Nolan? The best passages in the Dark Knight trilogy are those written by James Newton Howard.

It is probably simply a cost - benefit analysis. A good composer takes time and costs money. An orchestra? Hmm costs.
    Quality is definitely not the criterion. Hans Zimmer is certainly good to find talents, but he is not a good composer.

Well done couldnīt have put it better myself....well said.....

As for the music in the new MOS trailer...well itīs god damn awful.....but itīs what I expected from Zimmer......but hey the kids these days love and itīll be declared an epic score and the greatest thing since slice bread....
    ribonucleic and scoremaniatic like this.

Grand Shriner

Peacemaker, Lion King, Crimson Tide, Prince Of Egypt, and I can go on. Zimmer has tons of impressive scores on his resume. He's a great composer. Just that his body of work in the last decade doesn't have much to show for it. He has maybe 5 good recent scores, including the first Sherlock, but lately he's taking on way too many projects and isn't spending enough time on each of them.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by iBug View Post
    Peacemaker, Lion King, Crimson Tide, Prince Of Egypt, and I can go on. Zimmer has tons of impressive scores on his resume. He's a great composer. Just that his body of work in the last decade doesn't have much to show for it. He has maybe 5 good recent scores, including the first Sherlock, but lately he's taking on way too many projects and isn't spending enough time on each of them.

All those score you listed are awful and could be composed by a monkey with the exception of Lion King.....Zimmerīs scores havenīt changed a bit in the last 20 years.....he still refuses to write for an orchestra....from what Iīve heard Zimmer doesnīt write the scores for the movies he works on...he writes the themes....His minions fill in the blanks under the guidance of Zimmer....
    scoremaniatic likes this.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocklegend2000 View Post
    All those score you listed are awful and could be composed by a monkey with the exception of Lion King.....Zimmerīs scores havenīt changed a bit in the last 20 years.....he still refuses to write for an orchestra....from what Iīve heard Zimmer doesnīt write the scores for the movies he works on...he writes the themes....His minions fill in the blanks under the guidance of Zimmer....
    Well, at this point, there's nothing to argue since you can't be more wrong. All those scores are quite impressive, and are as good as Lion King. He does write for orchestra every now and then, and what you heard is not true. He has ghostwriters working on most projects, but Zimmer writes scores, not just themes, where ghostwriters can help with certain small themes are motives, but the score is always written by Zimmer in the end. And that is a rather recent thing, Zimmer didn't have anyone helping him when he wrote Crimson Tide or Peacemaker, which are both milestones in synthetic film scoring and have been copied to death, mostly by Zimmer himself. Prince of Egypt is melodically as diverse as Lion King with some brilliant orchestral passages. If you have not listened to Chariot Race, then you missed one of the best orchestral action tracks Zimmer has written ever.

While Zimmer was not Verbinski's first choice to score Pirates, the two have developed a close working relationship ever since. Not only did Zimmer score the other two movies Verbinski did for the Pirates series, but he was also brought on for Rango, and now he's on The Long Ranger. Clearly, Gore enjoys working with Hans.
    DAKoftheOTA likes this.
    I don't have a sig anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    While Zimmer was not Verbinski's first choice to score Pirates, the two have developed a close working relationship ever since. Not only did Zimmer score the other two movies Verbinski did for the Pirates series, but he was also brought on for Rango, and now he's on The Long Ranger. Clearly, Gore enjoys working with Hans.
    One question: And who produced these movies? Jerry Bruckheimer

Unfortunately, this is not entirely true. It was (POTC, Pearl Harbor, ...) Jerry Bruckheimer's decision.
    scoremaniatic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    AND Spielberg has always stated that he greatly enjoys Zimmers music and probably would be using him in future films would Williams ever retire/finds his resting place. And this comes from one of the best directors so Zimmer most be doing something right to impress.

As for MoS, I must admit, I'm not convinced... like many of you, yet. But I'm sure it will fit the movie, as it always does with his music.
    DAKoftheOTA likes this.

Grand Shriner
    I remember the time when you enjoyed something and enjoy it, or if you didn't like it, you'd move on without debating too much.

Ahhh, good times.

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast