Page 93 of 1020 FirstFirst ... 438387888990919293949596979899103143193593 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 25498
Like Tree49584Likes

Thread: DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMA THREAD

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    0:25 - 0:26 is definitely Bad Wolf Bay, well it's the same location anyway (Southerndown Beach). Not that it means anything seeing as 'The Time of Angels' also had scenes set there. I only recognise it as its only 20 minutes away from me.

Looks like the blasted Teletubby daleks are back, too. Gotta love the Daleks, but I really don't like the new design. Fingers crossed they've done some slight modifications such as subtly making it them less bottom heavy and hunched-back.

The source which said the Daleks were coming back, is the same source which said the 'new' teletubby Daleks were destined for the dustbin of design, and that the BBC were going to go back, to the popular 'gold on Bronze', though they may get a paint job like the 'ironside' [Victory of the Daleks] ones, in par with the classic series where dalek colours and design features were changed frequently for the first 20 years, before the new molds for 'Revelation and Remembrance'....
    So hopefully we will have collectable 'teletubbies' - for the kiddies.. [like 'Rolikins' and 'Marklin Sparking Daleks'], and back to the 'old' ones in the new series.... it would be nice to see them back.... in 'scary' gunmetal and black, [a'la Genesis of the Daleks] .... looming out of the shadows or mist, again though .... ......

Excellent news if true. As long as the original New Series design doesn't get the plastic look. IMHO with the industrial/military look I think they really hit a sweet spot design-wise. They properly echo the classic design with looking like they really could have been mass-created and real. (er - if you see what I mean)

With the New Paradigm design I don't really believe it was purely to sell new figures as you could tell in the confidential that Gatiss wasn't too happy that the new look didn't quite manage to translate from imagination to production.

Perhaps they could have worked if they'd not gone down the primary colour route, or given them just a large blaster to be latter-day Special Weapons Daleks, but I'm gonna guess that they'll not be gone forever but used sparingly as 'top of the shop' Daleks with the NS-Original the ones we bump into more often.

I am the Ataxer DrakeRavensmith's Avatar
    It makes you wonder if someone at the BBC was under the impression that the Daleks needed changing because the fans were unsatisfied/bored with them of if they just felt that they had to change because x number of years had passed. The Daleks need to be scary and a bright yellow dalek with a fat fat bottom looks like it ought to be cutting the grass at a preschool.
    Have you ever been talking to someone and they tell you that you remembered something wrong and, despite your often excellent memory, it's happened so much that you wonder if you're not slipping along parallel dimensions so similar to our own that the differences are so minute as to be unnoticeable and then become afraid that one day you'll wake up and an American will be playing the Doctor?

I think it was more that The Moff and Gatiss wanted to put their stamp on the design as they re-populated the universe with Daleks that didn't need to keep explaining why they popped up all the time after being utterly wiped out after The Time War. There's no doubt that BBC Worldwide rubbed their hands with glee at a new marketing toy, but if you watch the Confidential for 'Victory Of The Daleks' (and, if memory serves, the commentary track?) with Gatiss I think the pair of them really had the best intention at heart and were definitely disappointed by the actual realisation of them and fan reaction.

Wearing my "If I were show runner" hat I would re-use them as Special Weapons Daleks (I like that idea the more I think of it), have the Original New Series as the Leader ones, and have the various Classic Series designs as drones and (ah-hem)foot-soldiers.

(I quite like this take on the design - [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - a sort of half-way house between the Classic look and the New Series loook.)
    likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRavensmith View Post
    The Daleks need to be scary and a bright yellow dalek with a fat fat bottom looks like it ought to be cutting the grass at a preschool.
    The Daleks have always come in all colours, shapes and sizes (swamp Daleks looked like spiders, with their eight long mechanical legs). The new Daleks are bigger, with scarier, somehow more mechanical voices. Yes they are brightly coloured, red, blue and yellow, but so were the Daleks in the Peter Cushing movies in 1966! They are bigger in the same way that a tank is bigger than a Nissan Micra!

I find the new Daleks to be scarier than the old ones, and look forward to hiding behind the sofa again, which is something the Daleks haven't made me do since they came back in 2005!

I'm guessing Swamp Daleks were a comic/book thing?

You have a point about the colour of the Cushing Daleks, but they looked Metallic rather than plastic and the design wasn't as bottom heavy with chunky-shoulder-pads as the New Paradigm ones. (IMHO, of course. Your Mileage May Vary! )

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    So anyone spotted in the wild the companion's tale and the fourth outing of our two favourite Victorian fellows?

EDIT TO ADD - Anyone else having problems with the 'Like' not registering?
    The latest outing from the huge conclusions companions has finally reached my grubby fingers in the ninth episode from the sixth series of these. I'd also like to discover what the two Victorian fellows have been up to recently, but alas, no-one has yet told me...

Spoiler!

Yes, Marsh Daleks (not Swamp Daleks, as I called them before) are designed for marshy planets, and I thought they had more legs, but it appears to be three, according to this artists' rendering:

And here are some other dalek types: An Emporer Dalek surrounded by 'Special Weapons Daleks'
    , , and 5 others like this.

Thanks for the Base Two story.

Hmm. Not sure about the Marsh Daleks - they do like they need more legs, don't they?

The second one reminds me of the TV21 design. Which reminds me, I've not looked at the Second Empire web comic for a while. [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - It goes on for a while, but this chap really does have some brilliant designs.

EDIT TO ADD - And, spookily, here's his take on Spider Daleks - [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I must admit though, if I saw these three New Paradigm daleks heading for me, I'd run away, but probably for the wrong reason...
    and like this.

Thanks for the 1's and 0's.
    My 'Like' button also appears to be not registering

Onion Kid
    great stuff

Stainless Steel Rat bladerunner13's Avatar

Cool

Has anyone heard Graceless 2?

Also, my LIKES aren't working either...must be a glitch in the new update...

Dork Lord of the Sith MadKalnod's Avatar
    Thanks unto ye, Jamdoggy, but I must report a technical hitch. The copy of "Ones and Zeroes" I downloaded from your link has a corrupt Track #5 that will not extract. Anyone else finding this problem?

Meanwhile, Here's the first of the most recent batch of requested spin-offs, starring a sadly departed yet still beloved companion. Get them while they're hot.

Spoiler!
    and like this.
    "There are some corners of the universe that have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought." - Doctor Who

"I'm not scared of monsters. They're scared of me." - Doctor Who

try this one and two

Spoiler!

and thanks for ES
    and like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MadKalnod View Post
    Thanks unto ye, Jamdoggy, but I must report a technical hitch. The copy of "Ones and Zeroes" I downloaded from your link has a corrupt Track #5 that will not extract. Anyone else finding this problem?
    Thanks MadKalnod for finding the problem. The version on my hard-drive is fine, and it's been downloaded from my share 20 times, and you are the first to point out a problem. It's possible just yours somehow got corrupted in download, but just in case I've posted a fix.
    The 'track 5' file only is available here:
    Spoiler!

Hope this cure it for you, and my humblest apologies to anyone else having the same problem.

i had the same problem jd

Seems the net is closing...

While googling and torrent-searching for items I don't have yet (most noticably, the 'Bereft of Elegance II' and the 'Victorian Fellows'), I keep coming across '1 result removed in compliance with EUCD / DMCA'.

I know that Huge Conclusions have asked a number of sites to remove their items (and all sites I'm aware of this happening at, have complied with the request), so I suspect that they have found another method of forcing us to cease the age-old practice of buying a CD, and burning a copy for a friend (which to be honest is what happens, although sometimes we have a lot of friends, and they get to to the actual CD burning themselves...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamdoggy View Post
    Seems the net is closing...

While googling and torrent-searching for items I don't have yet (most noticably, the 'Bereft of Elegance II' and the 'Victorian Fellows'), I keep coming across '1 result removed in compliance with EUCD / DMCA'.

I know that Huge Conclusions have asked a number of sites to remove their items (and all sites I'm aware of this happening at, have complied with the request), so I suspect that they have found another method of forcing us to cease the age-old practice of buying a CD, and burning a copy for a friend (which to be honest is what happens, although sometimes we have a lot of friends, and they get to to the actual CD burning themselves...)
    yes i've seen a few of those myself.

What i find more disturbing is how often this thread appears in searches.
    likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by evilmonk View Post
    yes i've seen a few of those myself.

What i find more disturbing is how often this thread appears in searches.
    That's because the rest of the site is aimed at being high in Google for the more legitimate aspects.

Shriner
    No, it's because people keep NAMING every single title here, usually in requests or in requests for reposts.

They might as well just e-mail the company a link and tell them to take it down.
    , , and 1 others like this.

I am the Ataxer DrakeRavensmith's Avatar
    I think it's safe to say the Cushing Daleks were brightly colored because color film was fairly brand new. Kind of like how the slippers in the Wizard of Oz are supposed to be silver but they changed them to Ruby so the could show off the new technique. They're not very scary either but their metallic look is better than the plastic look the new Daleks have.

@Nobber
    That's kind of what I meant. They changed them just to change them. It wasn't broke and it didn't need fixing. If they wanted to let the Daleks return en massse they could have simply used the current design or slight modification. Why would the new Daleks have a look different from the ones we've been seeing? Presumably the pure Dalek DNA was from the Time War and we've seen plenty of those Daleks. Why are these different? There is no explanation given. Furthermore, Daleks are creatures/machines of terror, war, and genocide. Those things aren't supposed to look like toys.

If they wanted to change something, why not remove the plungers and replace them with various torture devices? We've seen Daleks with flamethrowers and pincers. Why not chainsaws? Too scary for the kiddies?

Here's a few images of the changes over the years....

I believe that the 'change' to the 'tellytubbies' had more to do with expanding the history of the Daleks, to include the 'ultimate daleks' from the 'Dalek Empire' audio series, as it doesn't state in Victory of the Daleks, that these new variants, are from before the Time War in the Doctor's universe, from the Cult of Skaro's vaults or from an ulternative universe as in the audio series and thus the 'ironside daleks' see them as the TRUE dalek incarnation....
    If you want 'scary' look up ' Dalekstorm' on google.....

Quote Originally Posted by besthead View Post
    No, it's because people keep NAMING every single title here, usually in requests or in requests for reposts.

They might as well just e-mail the company a link and tell them to take it down.
    Catch-22 - the site is Search Optimized, and the thread title alone (let alone the content) is sufficient to bounce it high in the ranking.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hew1tt View Post
    Here's a few images of the changes over the years....

I believe that the 'change' to the 'tellytubbies' had more to do with expanding the history of the Daleks, to include the 'ultimate daleks' from the 'Dalek Empire' audio series, as it doesn't state in Victory of the Daleks, that these new variants, are from before the Time War in the Doctor's universe, from the Cult of Skaro's vaults or from an ulternative universe as in the audio series and thus the 'ironside daleks' see them as the TRUE dalek incarnation....
    If you want 'scary' look up 'Doomsday Daleks' on google.....
    Where do you get the connection to the Dalek Empire series from? Not saying their not, just that I honestly can't think of any thing I've seen/read/heard that links them together.

AFAIR the DNA was from before the Time War, but I can't remember any Alternate Universe comment. And, again AFAIR, I guess the 'in story' explanation was that these ones are designed to be better than their Time War compatriots. Or something! I'm sure the Davros-DNA Daleks would argue they were purer ... and we all know that can't end well ... or, again, something ...

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeRavensmith View Post
    I think it's safe to say the Cushing Daleks were brightly colored because color film was fairly brand new. Kind of like how the slippers in the Wizard of Oz are supposed to be silver but they changed them to Ruby so the could show off the new technique. They're not very scary either but their metallic look is better than the plastic look the new Daleks have.

@Nobber
    That's kind of what I meant. They changed them just to change them. It wasn't broke and it didn't need fixing. If they wanted to let the Daleks return en massse they could have simply used the current design or slight modification. Why would the new Daleks have a look different from the ones we've been seeing? Presumably the pure Dalek DNA was from the Time War and we've seen plenty of those Daleks. Why are these different? There is no explanation given. Furthermore, Daleks are creatures/machines of terror, war, and genocide. Those things aren't supposed to look like toys.

If they wanted to change something, why not remove the plungers and replace them with various torture devices? We've seen Daleks with flamethrowers and pincers. Why not chainsaws? Too scary for the kiddies?
    Well, as I said I don't think the change that happened was really the one they intended. Based on a hazy memory of the Confidential/Commentary Track - The hump-back for instance was supposed to be a storage locker for different 'arms' but they couldn't make the practical bits work or afford the CGI, and I believe Barnaby Edwards commented that the neck was meant to be a bit longer but it restricted even more just how much the operators could see.

As for 'change for change sake' you could also argue that against the Original New Series design which generally seems to have been taken as near-perfect by the fanbase. At least I certainly can't remember any great debate over the issue!

But, what the hay, this is a series that thrives on (and, indeed, NEEDS) change and there's bound to be the odd misstep now and then.