Page 130 of 1060 FirstFirst ... 3080120124125126127128129130131132133134135136140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 26491
Like Tree52084Likes

Thread: DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMA THREAD

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Munchylunch View Post
    "Australian Meat Merchant"!!! That's hilarious. How could I have missed it? Thanks Cushing.
    No worries, you're welcome and enjoy it

I am the Ataxer DrakeRavensmith's Avatar
    I finally found time to sit down and organize the stuff I've amassed these last few months and have discovered that I have an incomplete file on the second link from post 2912. It's a rediscovered story something along the lines of 'protectors of future telling'. I'd appreciate a reup if anyone has the time. Thank you.
    Have you ever been talking to someone and they tell you that you remembered something wrong and, despite your often excellent memory, it's happened so much that you wonder if you're not slipping along parallel dimensions so similar to our own that the differences are so minute as to be unnoticeable and then become afraid that one day you'll wake up and an American will be playing the Doctor?

Heh, you guys haven't heard BAD AMERICAN accents until you've heard David Tennant trying desperately to cover up his Scottish accent! Caught it on a YouTube for a show he did a pilot for that never got off the ground. He actually sounded more American when he was The Doctor!

Quote Originally Posted by SmugglerTrev View Post
    I think everybody suffers from that, a bit. I'm always appalled by the the way British characters are portrayed by Americans & the way the British portray Americans is bad enough to make me embarrassed!

Quote Originally Posted by Srude View Post
    G*R*A*C*E*L*E*S*S* Box Set 1?
    It's going to be on the wireless soon ...

Spoiler!
    Jamdoggy likes this.

Matt Smiths attempts are worse. I can't listen to the Audio books he reads. Tennant on the other hand is quite an accoplished voice actor.

Quote Originally Posted by uswhofan View Post
    Heh, you guys haven't heard BAD AMERICAN accents until you've heard David Tennant trying desperately to cover up his Scottish accent! Caught it on a YouTube for a show he did a pilot for that never got off the ground. He actually sounded more American when he was The Doctor!
    uswhofan likes this.

As much as I love David, his attempts at American accents have all been thoroughly painful (and he's my favorite Doctor and one of my favorite audio readers along with the likes of Frazer Hines, Nicholas Courtney, Peter Purves and William Russell, whom I've found particularly enjoyable so far--for the girls, Anneke Wills and Katy Manning are voices I enjoy--what they all have in common is they always put in a lot of effort, have some range in their voice tone and never sound bored--or they're just those 'I'd listen to them read the phone book'-type voices).

I'll give it to Matt Smith in The Runaway Train (which I have heard) for his superior attempt at an American accent. Obviously, he doesn't have a thick Scottish accent to work through. Sylv is also Scottish, but it's quite a bit less noticeable than with David (Sylv just sounds like Sylvester the Cat--which is actually entertaining audio-wise). Admittedly, Matt was doing a Wild West accent in that audio reading, but it wasn't actually all that far off from your usual old Western movie accent (see Peter Purves' Morton Dill accent that actually isn't that far off, even if it actually makes more British people cringe than Americans, because I think Americans are more familiar with what this old comedy archetype that was all over television in the '50s-'60s should sound like--Purves is actually spot-on for what he was aiming for).

But yeah... David's better off sounding Scots or Estuary when doing American characters. It really does sound closer. He was marginally better with the American Southern accent I once heard him try, but his mispronunciation of "Potomac" (he didn't seem to realize that the "mac" bit comes out "mic") was a bit of a facepalm. David would have been so much better off if they had just made his Rex is Not Your Lawyer character a Scottish immigrant and worked it into the plot (it probably would have improved the plot by giving the writers something to work with).

Though I've noticed that both Nicola Bryant and Matt Smith have mispronounced "paella" ("pai-ey-yuh", not "pai-el-luh"--Spanish fail), which I assume must be some weird British thing where you guys don't even try to pronounce Spanish words the Spanish way. If Peri really is supposed to be from Pasadena (or even Baltimore for that matter, though Californians also spend a lot of time laughing at people from Back East for mispronouncing Spanish all over the place), she most certainly would have enough passing familiarity with Mexican Spanish to get that one right! That "paella" line is nails on "glaaahss" every time I hear it in The Two Doctors and it was surprising to hear Matt Smith say it the same way.

I'll admit it, though: it takes a pretty strong Aussie accent for me to recognize it as Aussie. I'm starting to be able to identify a few British accents (I'm pretty familiar with what to listen for with Yorkshire, for example), but I still get duped by some of the softer Aussie and South African voices unless it's totally Crocodile Dundee/Steve Irwin. Cockney, Irish, Scots and Welsh, on the other hand, are far more obvious.

"But this time is different." The Doctor regarded me sadly.
    "I forgot, you've never travelled into your personal past before, have you, Jamie?
    You see, you can't alter events from your own history. Because, if you did, you'd end up altering yourself.
    If Culloden hadn't happened, you'd be a different person."

Anyone got CxOxUxNxTxExRxMxExAxSxUxRxExS yet?

Grand Shriner
    sgcohan
    How do you open the file? The biography comic you posted.....do you rename it?

Quote Originally Posted by jrtxs2001 View Post
    sgcohan
    How do you open the file? The biography comic you posted.....do you rename it?
    It's a .7z file

Grand Shriner
    got it working
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nobber View Post
    It's a .7z file
    Yes it is, thanks Nobber.
    Now for those who like the odd philosophical discussion regarding Who
    Spoiler!
    daftideasinc likes this.

Onion Kid
    Hi

I am brand new here and wanted to say what a fab site and thread.

I have looked all the way through and found some amazing stuff but I don't have torrents.

I am looking for BF DW numbers 159, 148, 147 & 137.

If anyone can help I would be really grateful.

Is this from the Popculture and philosophy book series?

Quote Originally Posted by sgcohan View Post
    Now for those who like the odd philosophical discussion regarding Who
    Spoiler!

Onion Kid
    hi all, thanks for all the info and goodies, Iv'e been listening to the eighth medicos travels with lucie... Some good some bad lol. I have just heard her stay behind..ready for the next instalment. "situation <<<<>>>>>Vacant" and I don't have it! Damn! and I can't find it!. Can anyone help me out at all? thanks in advance watcher

MJS
    Quote Originally Posted by uswhofan View Post
    I am a HUGE Tennant fan but I have to agree the accent was dire. I am glad it did not get picked up and from me that is saying something.
    uswhofan likes this.

For the record I just have to say the worste ever accent I've heard from any actor has to be Patrick Stewrt's French accent on TNG... It's like he's not even trying.

PS: I've just heard a clip of "Rex is not your lawyer", and find Tennants accent supirior to anything Matt Smith thinks sounds american. I've actually heard people who kind of sounded like Tennat's american.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm1883 View Post
    Is this from the Popculture and philosophy book series?

I don't know. I just came across it while exploring.

Onion Kid
    I have thought about using Torrents and a lot of people use Demonoid. Is it easy to use and how do you register? It says I need an invite?

Any help gratefully received. ^_^

King of Hueco Mundo
    I can't use torrents because of my school. Can someone post T*h*e R*e*v*e*n*a*n*t*s on Mediafire please?

I just realized I had an orphaned page of The Jokers from TV Comic.

Spoiler!

Missing:
    First Doctor: The Secrets of Gemino (TV Comic 753-754 & 757), The Haunted Planet (TV Comic 758-762), The Hunters of Zerox (TV Comic 763-767).
    Second Doctor: The Space Pirates (TV Comic 859-863), Car of the Century (TV Comic 864-867), The Jokers (TV Comic 868-869 & 871).
    Fourth Doctor: The Eerie Manor (TV Comic 1371-1372), Guardian of the Tomb (TV Comic 1373-1379), The Image Makers (TV Comic 1380-1385), The Wanderers (TV Comic 1404-1408), The Metal Eaters (TV Comic 1409-1415), Moon Exploration (TV Comic 1416-1423).
    Numerous Battles in Time and DW Adventures Mags missing.

Does anyone have any of these?

Ack, I just realized that I don't have the 1976 and 1979 Dalek Annuals in .cbr format (1977 and 1978 are pretty easy to find on Google). The torrents are all quite dead. 1979 is in a .pdf format that I'm loathing having to pull all the images out one-by-one in reduced quality (non-extractable). Well, TheBox has 1976, but only in .pdf.

Appeal for Assistance

I know this is nothing to do with Doctor Who, but we do have some very technically able fellows on this thread, and I am hoping one of them may be able to help.

(from Wiki)

Dan Dare Radio Luxembourg serial

The New Adventures of Dan Dare, Pilot of the Future aired five times a week on Radio Luxembourg for five years from July 2, 1951. Dan's voice was Noel Johnson, who also played Dick Barton on BBC radio. Each episode started with the command "Spaceships Away!". The 15-minute show was sponsored by Horlicks and on March 3, 1952, the 106th episode of Dan Dare was heard that Monday night with different episodes on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at 7:15pm. Although the dramatisation was recorded on wax discs for broadcast, the original discs were lost or destroyed. Until recently no copies had ever been recovered but in late 2011 two episodes were found as part of the Lost Shows Appeal, orchestrated by missing episode hunter Charles Norton. The recovered shows were "Under Sentence of Death" (episode 76), aired 21/01/1952, and The Lost World On Mars (episode 53), aired 19/03/1953.

Although these two recovered episodes may not be shared (for very complicated reasons), a further episode has surfaced and is available here:

Spoiler!

This episode suffers from a number of serious sound faults and defects. Unfortunately, Dan Dare fans are - by and large - an ageing bunch (I include myself in this) and so far the skill required has been beyond us, other than to apply blanket hiss filters and equalise, which offers some improvement, but deadens the sound so one cannot totally understand the performances.

If anyone has any ability to make this recording sound nearer to the way it did when it was broadcast, it would be very much appreciated.

Recons

Just started using Demonoid last month and I love it so much I cancelled my lame-o Graboid account. Don't have enough cred over there yet to get invites, but I did get an offer of one from the good folks on this 'site. Hopefully they'll hear your plea.

Quote Originally Posted by djgoodyman View Post
    I have thought about using Torrents and a lot of people use Demonoid. Is it easy to use and how do you register? It says I need an invite?

Any help gratefully received. ^_^

Grand Shriner
    Thanks
    Last edited by versatile; 06-27-2013 at 01:48 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Can anyone hook me up with any of the audio versions of Blue Lumley and Metal McCallum and their adventures in Scary time - um Sa***ph+++ire and St++e+e+l?

Onion Kid
    Thanks for reply

That would be great if someone could help.

Love your avatar by the way!! ^_^