Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Conan the Destroyer (2011 re-recording) Basil Poledouris FLAC/MP3~320kbps

Grand Shriner
    Awesome!!!! Thanks!!!!

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Arial View Post
    I'm only following that thread because I'm amazed of all the "noise" that goes with these recordings...

There's nothing worth of interest to be reminded for the century here, IMO. Would it be a big concert tour, that would be something else !

... About these re-recordings, at the time they released the first Fitzpatrick shouted everywhere that the Conan score wasn't reaching Poledouris expectations who was disappointed with it. He first caught a lot of attention saying this (and more having Poledouris familly "in his pocket"). I didn't quite understand at that time so much the original recording is full of emotion and power (even if the masters used for the releases sound a bit old !) - and I didn't understand more comparing with the Prague re-recording wich advantage remains only in a bigger orchestra.

But - one year later, when it comes to release the 2nd Conan re-recording, Fitzpatrick revealed (for those like me who don't know all the thoughts of a composer) that Poledouris's disappointement concerned "The Destroyer" 's score ... and not "The Barbarian" !!! ... It's easy to observe how he successfuly washed the brain of a lot of folks since his first statement now.

Something is striking besides when you listen this 2nd opus: just listen to all music tracked from "The Barbarian" for this one, and you'll see it matches much more to what we have on the original "Barbarian" score !!! ie: orchestration, playing/tempos. That shows all the liberty they took for the first Conan re-recording, while going finally back to the original for the same music on this 2nd release.

I don't have anything against creative efforts to attempt something different, I'm just shocked and disappointed of all the sales pitch from the beginning to lead this Conan operation.

In the end, I think that for that 2nd score (wich is quite music for kids, exactly like the film was let's admit ) any body who likes it wins at having this re-recording, the original being quite awful. But for the first Conan I'm not even waiting for a any ensemble that could grab that magic of sobriety that has been able in 1982 to go straight to the essential: the music itself - with comparatively so humble means.

- Someone said here that that's a "matter of taste". Well, it could be first a matter of love.
    HELLPPP!!
    Am I going crazy or is the track 13 "Door Lift - Dragon's Head - Conan The Destroyer" completely f'ed up?
    I just got my copy yesterday and I listened to the said track, during Dragon's Head at 04'20'' either the PITCH SHIFTS one half step down or someone handed the orchestra members a transcription which at 4'20'' transposes without any warning one HALF TONE below, probably to bridge between Dragon's Head and Conan the Destroyer.
    I find this totally unacceptable and unprofessional.

Onion Kid
    I was speaking of "Conan the Destroyer", the 2011 re-recording.
    I spent the night listening closely and I felt upset the orchestra played as if the members were half asleep, except in two or three pieces.
    The Prague philharmonic and Nic Raine execute most of the score in a very flat way, a score in which the pieces have had their tempo REVISED poorly, the music re-arranged supposedly the "closest possible" to Poledouris' notes, but this is only a marketing trick.
    Not only does the piece "Dragon's head" brutally shift a half tone at 4'20'' (see my first post), but in the piece "Farewell Valeria" , at 1'04" SOMETHING IS WRONG, the notes do not follow the sheet music, ONCE AGAIN THE MUSIC IS REWRITTEN AND POORLY ADAPTED because the part repeats itself doing
    G, A, G, A, G, F, Eflat
    when it should go instead :
    G, A, A, Bflat, G ,F, E flat , which is what we hear in the movie

"True to Poledouris' notes" my you know what! In the booklet, it clearly states :
    "NEW SCORE AND PARTS PREPARATION BY TONY MYKULKA" Which means what it means, the score has been rewritten and adapted.

So I end up with a re-recording that is very uninspired in it's execution and rewritten by a newbie for unknown reasons.
    I'll pay more attention to other pieces in the rerecording to see if similar goofs occured.

Can you still download these two files? I tried but it said server was down.

Grand Shriner
    Yeah they are down.... might someone reupload please?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaaaa View Post
    I was speaking of "Conan the Destroyer", the 2011 re-recording.
    I spent the night listening closely and I felt upset the orchestra played as if the members were half asleep, except in two or three pieces.
    Get a life.

You've been raging and reeling against the Prague recordings over and over. You're clearly a moron!

Begging for a Re-Up. Please???
    AFMG likes this.

Pretty Please?
    [Insert a poignant, intelligent signature here.]

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by wimpel69 View Post
    Get a life.

You've been raging and reeling against the Prague recordings over and over. You're clearly a moron!
    The only moron I see here is you. Just STFU and go kiss the feet of your idol, Nic Raine, if you're so fond of him and his team of incompetent jerks.
    Instead of making fun of me, wimpel the troll, simply listen to the pieces I criticized to see what I was talking about, then come back to say what you think of those precise parts.
    If not, simply remain silent .

Looks like we have a couple of badasses in this thread.
    TazerMonkey and Stinkor like this.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaaaa View Post
    The only moron I see here is you. Just STFU and go kiss the feet of your idol, Nic Raine, if you're so fond of him and his team of incompetent jerks.
    Instead of making fun of me, wimpel the troll, simply listen to the pieces I criticized to see what I was talking about, then come back to say what you think of those precise parts.
    If not, simply remain silent .
    I'm sorry I'm not as anal about it as you are, clearly you have no life. The CtD re-recording is solid in all departments and a huge improvement over the badly played OST.

Y'all do realize that just trading insults will get no one anywhere at all, right? He is convinced the Prometheus edition is the most reprehensible thing ever. You are not, and neither will change the other's mind. This is just going on way to long...
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

The real reason for this thread sure got buried by the overflowing hostility.

Back to the real reason.

Re-up please???

I only have it in mp3 320 atm, if you give me a day or so I can up it to Media Fire.
    AFMG, Spectre8750 and pheonyx74 like this.

Thanks Amanda for being so nice.

Yes thank you.

Here you go, no pass:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Herr Salat, AFMG, Stinkor and 2 others like this.

Thank you! I know you had it rough with your PC lately, according to your post on other thread, so it's very, very appreciated what you've done. Hope everything works out!

I am always happy to help, and always will if i can.

Onion Kid
    Badly played ...by the ROME ORCHESTRA? Go back to school man.

"solid in all departments", such as a score rearranged by someone who doesn't understand anything and doesn't respect anything from the original orchestrations...
    "Solid" in it's lack of vibrato? In it's slow pace which never was meant by Poledouris? Stop blabbering about things you've never checked and go watch on video Poledouris' live performances of the OST in the past. It's never too late.

The Prague performance is only half decent in some departments, but clearly there was a big problem since the beginning of this project, especially in the rewriting of the sheet music and the choice of orchestra/conductor.

Go and try calling some random person in the street "moron" and guess what will happen to that pimply face of yours.

Your posts are starting to sound a lot like a 12 year olds threats on a FPS.

Don't bump a thread just to restart your fucking bullshit.

Shriner
    So much ritcher than the original, great score

File seems to be down

Thanks Amanda...

Yeah, thanks Amanda, Muchas gracias for the link

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast