Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Conan the Destroyer (2011 re-recording) Basil Poledouris FLAC/MP3~320kbps

I don't think downloads killed the re-recording business. But the re-recording business has always been on a knife edge, simply because film scores are a very niche market and production costs are shockingly high. Unless you're re-recording music that has mass appeal and will sell a billion copies, you are going to lose money.

With shrinking interest in film music, a shrinking music market in general, the imminent death of the CD as a mainstream music distribution format, increased production costs, and yes, free and fast downloads... well, re-recordings are doomed. Absolutely dead. It's simple economics. From a strictly business perspective, they have been obsolete for probably something like twenty years - but Tadlow and a handful of others are keeping the pilot light on with a mixture of love, blind faith, self-financing, and robbing-Peter-to-pay-Paul-style financing initiatives. That can only last so long.

These Conan discs are among the last major projects that we will ever see - I might go as far as to say they are the last major projects we'll ever see. We'll get two or three more from Stromberg and Morgan, and that will be well and truly that.

Onion Kid
    Thank you!

And thank you to everyone else for the interesting insights.

Merry Christmas!

Onion Kid
    Niiice.

Quote Originally Posted by tangotreats View Post
    well, re-recordings are doomed. Absolutely dead. That can only last so long.
    These Conan discs are among the last major projects that we will ever see - I might go as far as to say they are the last major projects we'll ever see. We'll get two or three more from Stromberg and Morgan, and that will be well and truly that.
    It has been a passing dream...

I simply hope QVO VADIS ? re-recording has not been cancelled.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by tangotreats View Post
    ... These Conan discs are among the last major projects that we will ever see - I might go as far as to say they are the last major projects we'll ever see. We'll get two or three more from Stromberg and Morgan, and that will be well and truly that.
    I'm only following that thread because I'm amazed of all the "noise" that goes with these recordings...

There's nothing worth of interest to be reminded for the century here, IMO. Would it be a big concert tour, that would be something else !

... About these re-recordings, at the time they released the first Fitzpatrick shouted everywhere that the Conan score wasn't reaching Poledouris expectations who was disappointed with it. He first caught a lot of attention saying this (and more having Poledouris familly "in his pocket"). I didn't quite understand at that time so much the original recording is full of emotion and power (even if the masters used for the releases sound a bit old !) - and I didn't understand more comparing with the Prague re-recording wich advantage remains only in a bigger orchestra.

But - one year later, when it comes to release the 2nd Conan re-recording, Fitzpatrick revealed (for those like me who don't know all the thoughts of a composer) that Poledouris's disappointement concerned "The Destroyer" 's score ... and not "The Barbarian" !!! ... It's easy to observe how he successfuly washed the brain of a lot of folks since his first statement now.

Something is striking besides when you listen this 2nd opus: just listen to all music tracked from "The Barbarian" for this one, and you'll see it matches much more to what we have on the original "Barbarian" score !!! ie: orchestration, playing/tempos. That shows all the liberty they took for the first Conan re-recording, while going finally back to the original for the same music on this 2nd release.

I don't have anything against creative efforts to attempt something different, I'm just shocked and disappointed of all the sales pitch from the beginning to lead this Conan operation.

In the end, I think that for that 2nd score (wich is quite music for kids, exactly like the film was let's admit ) any body who likes it wins at having this re-recording, the original being quite awful. But for the first Conan I'm not even waiting for a any ensemble that could grab that magic of sobriety that has been able in 1982 to go straight to the essential: the music itself - with comparatively so humble means.

- Someone said here that that's a "matter of taste". Well, it could be first a matter of love.
    Caesius likes this.

Thanks for posting. Will help pass the time waiting for my copy to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert West View Post
    Title: Conan the Destroyer - 2011 Re-Recording
    Artist: Basil Poledouris / Nic Raine (conductor)
    Year: 1984
    This Release: 2011
    Label: Prometheus
    Format: FLAC/MP3
    Bit Rate: 320kbps
    Tracks: Disc One - 19; Disc Two - 10

Thanks !

they killed the giggler! tosheii's Avatar
    Love me some Conan, thanks!

Grand Shriner
    thank you, herbert

Shriner
    Great...

---------- Post added at 09:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 AM ----------

Thanks

Grand Shriner
    Thanks, excellent!

Onion Kid
    Many thanks for the upload. A great soundtrack (especially for inspiring the creative animation when writing interminable manuscript as I'm doing now!) and though not quite the absolute classic that Barbarian certainly is, this is very listenable and a good companion to it.

Keep cool,

Ummphoo

I'll probably enjoy this as much as the "Barbarian" re-recordings. Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by babydoll View Post
    Personally, I am enjoying this MORE than the Barbarian recordings.
    Yeah me too, the lack of crazy over-powering percussion on this score makes it much more listenable.
    Loveliness, Elegance, and Nobility Compilations
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Angela Aki Discography
    Kokia discography
    Sun Yanzi Discography
    Toshihiko Sahashi Thread

they killed the giggler! tosheii's Avatar
    Anyone know what's up with the "Sword and Sorcery: The Adventures of Conan" tracks?

Nevermind, it is Poledouris'. Info:

LIMITED EDITION OF 3000 UNITS A return to the days of High Adventure! Basil Poledouris provides the music for THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN – SWORD AND SORCERY SPECTACULAR. Pleased with the success of CONAN THE BARBARIAN, Universal Studios teamed up with Landmark Entertainment Group to produce a live-action stage show for the Universal Studios theme park that would capture the danger and excitement of the Hyborean Age and bring it to a modern day audience. Basil Poledouris, who also scored CONAN THE BARBARIAN, was hired to write the music for the show, which would last close to twenty minutes and called for wall-to-wall scoring. Performed by the London Philharmonic, Basil’s music for the show functions as a symphonic suite. Produced by Super Tracks Music, this special release contains two tracks. The first track is the entire symphonic suite to THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN. The second track is an excerpt from the show, including music, sound effects and narration. This release has been long anticipated by fans of the music for Basil Poledouris and his music for CONAN THE BARBARIAN.

Now, does anyone have a rip of the [Hidden link. Register to see links.]?

From my many playthroughs of this, I vastly prefer the original recording. There's something special about the separate Horn of Dagoth track (my favorite from Destroyer). More foreboding, more magical. It invokes the feeling of there being a stone god/monster more than this recording.

But the re-recording of Adventures of Conan is amazing (probably as it is the first time I heard it). So good, I added it into Skyrim.

Wow, HW does it again! Thanks for an awesome upload.

Thank You.

re-up please, the mp3 version
    I NEED: Cloud Atlas (recording sessions)

Grand Shriner
    re-up flac, thanks

Shriner
    It is just time. Enjoy it!

lossy (320): [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    lossless (flac): [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    artwork: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    pass: bsoosb
    Saludetes.

Thanks BSOOSB for the effort. WeŽll be waiting!!!!

I can't get these links to work, I just get a blank Mediafire page. Am I doing something wrong or have the links just gone dead already? Really wanna get my hands on this, thanks for all who have shared!

Quote Originally Posted by thegrizz70x7 View Post
    I can't get these links to work, I just get a blank Mediafire page. Am I doing something wrong or have the links just gone dead already? Really wanna get my hands on this, thanks for all who have shared!
    ALL those Mediafire links work.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast