Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44448495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1577
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Classical by Request

Grand Shriner
    prokofiev 's romeo and juliuet please and thanks

I just thought I'd post a reminder that in two weeks, the LA Philharmonic and Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela will broadcast their combined performance of Mahler's 8 "Symphony of a Thousand" live in movie theaters across the US.

More info here: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    "Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Shriner
    Hello,

I'd like to request the box set "Schubert: The 10 Symphonies" by Neville Marriner and the Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields with the symphony completions by Brian Newbould.
    (seems to be kinda rare, I only found some torrents, and torrents somehow don't work fine for me.)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Is anybody here who has this?
    Thanks in advance!

Well...It's about $25?? Which is kinda cheap. May be it's easier to actually buy it?
    *Ain't I a saint?*

Quote Originally Posted by aca2 View Post
    Hello,

I'd like to request the box set "Schubert: The 10 Symphonies" by Neville Marriner and the Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields with the symphony completions by Brian Newbould.
    (seems to be kinda rare, I only found some torrents, and torrents somehow don't work fine for me.)

Is anybody here who has this?
    Thanks in advance!
    It's not that we need new ideas, but we need to stop having old ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by chrischris View Post
    but someone had provided me with a link... and I'll share this with you if you write me a PM
    Could you also send me a PM please? It would be greatly appreciated

Here's something I've started uploading. No doubt many are at least somewhat familiar with it, but since obtaining a set can be prohibitively expensive, I thought I'd upload this for the curious:

RICHARD WAGNER
    DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN

The Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
    conducted by Sir Georg Solti

4 Operas | 14 CDs | 14h16m56s

Even if you're not interested in downloading, I'd really like to get a good discussion going on the thread, considering the enormity and importance of the Cycle!

Shriner
    Do you have any woodwind or brass quintet material? I'm just getting into that stuff...
    Thanks!
    It's kinda funny (and kinda sad) how often this statement applies: "the movie was 'meh,' but Goldsmith's score was awesome!"

匪天 (pr3y : pr4y) = symph0ny {k3yb04rd + El3c. Gu1t Orie's Avatar
    I have been trying to "Hit Down" some orchestra piece that appeared in a TV series, and I am not that connoisseur of all classical music that exists.
    I wanted to know if there is any one who is or have high Knowledge of classical music that may be willing to help to find out what pieces I am looking for.
    I ripped the audio of the episodes in question, and I can upload them if any one thinks it might help me. :/
    "For the Sake of our Heart-CORE... & ♥Juri♥"

Grand Shriner
    Great stuff!!!

Grand Shriner
    Bach-Walton "Ah! How ephemeral" from 'The Wise Virgins' Suite
    The complete 'Wise Virgins' Suite is already uploaded on You Tube, so here is just my favourite movement from it ... the exciting "Ah! How ephemeral" from Bach's Cantata No. 26 arr. by Walton. It's one of several Cantata movements used in Frederick Ashton's 1940 ballet featuring Margot Fonteyn. (From a Naxos CD.)

Bach orch. Cailliet "Little" Fugue - Fiedler conducts
    Bach's "Little" Fugue in G minor was orchestrated by Lucien Cailliet (1891-1985), a woodwind player and 'house arranger' for the Philadelphia Orchestra as well as being a conductor and composer in his own right. He made a great many arrangements, including one of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" commissioned in 1937 by Eugene Ormandy. The Bach transcription heard here is brilliantly played by the Boston Pops under Arthur Fielder and comes from an RCA CD of other Bach works.

Bach-Stokowski: Chorale from the 'Easter Cantata' - Jose Serebrier conducts
    Stokowski's many Bach Transcriptions include this stirring orchestral version of the Chorale "Jesus Christus, Gottes Sohn" from the 'Easter Cantata.' It is played here by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, conductor Jose Serebrier, on a Naxos release

Debussy "La Cathedrale Engloutie" ('The Engulfed Cathedral') - Sir Henry Wood's orchestration
    Sir Henry Wood's transcription of Debussy's famous piano prelude dates from 1919 when he first introduced it at one of the Proms Concerts which still bear his name today. His scoring requires a large orchestra that includes a gong, tubular and mushroom bells, two harps and organ. Wood made his version as a memorial tribute to Debussy who had died the previous year. (From a 'Lyrita' CD on which Nicholas Braithwaite conducts the London Philharmonic.)

Brahms "A Rose Breaks Into Bloom" - Ormandy conducts
    Brahms's song "Es ist ein' Ros' entsprungen" was arranged for string orchestra by Reginald Jacques and recorded by the Philadelphia Orchestra under Eugene Ormandy on a 1972 LP.

Mussorgsky-Stokowski "Great Gate of Kiev" - Kunzel conducts
    Leopold Stokowski was conductor of the Cincinnati Orchestra from 1909-1912. Erich Kunzel paid tribute by recording a number of Stokowski's transcriptions in the 1990s and his selection concluded with 'The Great Gate of Kiev,' the final number in Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition." Stokowski's score provided an 'ad lib' optional organ part right at the end, so Kunzel added it in, though it's only just audible over the Cininnati Orchestra at full bast!

Chopin "Fantasie-Impromptu" - Carmen Dragon conducts
    Chopin's "Fantasie-Impromptu" in C# minor is here brilliantly realised by conductor / arranger Carmen Dragon and the Hollywood Bowl Symphony on a 1950s Capitol recording.

Bach-Stokowski "Come, Sweet Death" ('Komm, susser Tod') - Orchestral version
    J. S. Bach's "Komm, susser Tod" is taken from Schemelli's Musical Song-Book of 1736. Stokowski's transcription has the melody played twice, first on the strings and then by the full orchestra. He made this recording in 1958 with his own specially selected symphony orchestra of New York musicians.

Byrd "Pavane and Gigue" - Stokowski orchestration
    William Byrd's 'Pavane' (subtitled 'The Earl of Salisbury' from "Parthenia") and 'A Gigue' (from 'The Fitzwilliam Virginal Book') are two baroque clavichord pieces. Leopold Stokowski combined them into a gorgeously coloured orchestral arrangement which is played here by the BBC Philharmonic under Matthias Bamert on a beautifully recorded Chandos CD.

Haydn "Andante Cantabile" - Stokowski conducts
    This little piece is also known as Haydn's "Serenade" and comes from one of his string quartets. Stokowski arranged it for strings, clarinet, flute and oboe and originally played it under the title "18th Century Dance." This recording was made in 1975 when he was 92 years old. The National Philharmonic was a 'recording orchestra' of top London players and this track comes from a PRT CD.

Beethoven "Moonlight Sonata" - 'Adagio' - Pennario & Dragon
    The most famous of Beethoven's solo piano sonata movements is here given mini-concerto treatment with the addition of an orchestral accompaniment. Leonard Pennario is the soloist, with the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra conducted by Carmen Dragon, in a late 1950s 'Capitol Full Dimensional Stereo Sound' recording.

Grand Shriner
    Kinect Star Wars good haab soundtrack download please

Quote Originally Posted by warstar937 View Post
    Kinect Star Wars good haab soundtrack download please
    What the hell was that gibberish? lol

Me want stuff that music for me like it for download.

Nice, now I can see youtube movies with music :S ??

Grand Shriner

Cool

György Sándor – Bartók and Kodály
    BARTOK - Baroque Transcriptions
    KODALY - Complete Piano Music

Bartok
    Sonata G - Azzolino Bernardino della Ciaia
    Sonata in Bb, Tre Correnti F major - Benedetto Marcello
    Pastorale in C - Domenico Zipoli
    Toccata in C - Girolamo Frescobaldi
    Fugue in G minor - Georg Muffat
    Toccatas - Michelangelo Rossi
    (Original works)
    Piano Sonata Sz80
    Out of Doors Suite
    2 Roumanian Dances
    Petite Suite
    Allegro barbaro

Kodaly:
    Dances of Marosszek
    9 Piano Pieces
    Meditation sur un motif de Claude Debussy
    7 Piano Pieces
    Valsette

György Sándor is best known to music lovers and record collectors as a gifted pianist and champion of the music of his fellow Hungarian Béla Bartók, but he was also one of the most important piano pedagogues of the later twentieth century. As a piano teacher at the University of Michigan and the Juilliard School, his students included Malcolm Bilson, Barbara Nissman, and Hélčne Grimaud. Sándor carried on the practician-pedagogue tradition passed down from Bartók, who was his most important piano teacher, and Zoltán Kodály, with whom he studied composition at the Liszt Royal Conservatory in Budapest. Sándor had played throughout Europe, Asia and America by the time he made his Carnegie Hall debut in 1939, and he settled in the United States shortly after that triumphant appearance. He had an enormous repertoire, but he is best known as a champion of Bartók's piano music, swimming against the artistic tide at a time when the music was considered too modern, too difficult to play and listen to, too risky for concert presenters -- and doing a great deal to reverse the public perception of Bartók's music in America in tandem with the efforts of fellow Hungarian expatriates Frigyes (Fritz) Reiner and Antal Doráti. Sándor's career as a performer exceeded an astonishing seven decades in duration.

The present release returns to circulation two of Sandor's great recordings: the complete piano music of Zoltán Kódaly, originally released on Candide in the mid-1970s, and "Bartók and the Baroque," a collection of Bartók's baroque transcriptions issued on Vox Cum Laude in the late 1970s.

Grand Shriner
    Bach / Igor Zhukov : Passacaglia an Fugue BWV 582

Piano Transcriptions Festival
    Borodin/ V. Gryaznov : Nocturne (piano V. Gryaznov)
    Tchaikovsky / V. Gryaznov : Romeo and Juliet (piano V. Gryaznov)
    Mussorgsky/ Ewald Evstafiev : Night on Bald Mountain (piano I.Silivanova, M.Puryzhinsky)
    Borodin / Boris Frankstein : Polovtsian Dances (piano A.Kudryashov)
    Tchaikovsky / Karen Kornienko : Ballad of Voivod (piano K.Kornienko)
    Tchaikovsky/ A. Isakov : Elegy aus der Streicherserenade Op.48 (piano T.Chistyakova)
    Tchaikovsky /A. Isakov : Don Juan's Serenade (piano R.Soloveva
    Mussorgsky / A. Isakov : Bloch (piano I.Boychenko)
    Mussorgsky-Korobeinikov : Songs and Dances of Death + Hopak (piano A. Korobeinikov)

Bach (Vivaldi) / Samuel Feinberg : Organ Concert (1ch.) (piano L.Duhan)
    Bach/ Samuel Feinberg : Prelude in G Minor (piano N.Pogosyan)
    Tchaikovsky / Samuel Feinberg : Waltz from the 5th symphony (piano L.Duhan)
    Bach / Ferruccio Busoni : Choralvorspiel: "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" BWV 645 (piano M.Isachenkov)
    Liszt / Ferruccio Busoni : Fantasy on the Marriage of Figaro (piano O.Shevchenko)
    Strauss / Leopold Godowsky : Symphonische Metamorphosen über "Wein, Weib und Gesang" (piano A.Stukalov)
    Rameau / Leopold Godowsky : Sarabande and Minuet - (piano S.Kasprov)
    Godowsky : Passacaglia on Schubert - (piano Andzelika Borys)
    Saint-Saens / Leopold Godowsky : The Swan (piano Yu.Favorin)
    Schubert/ Leopold Godowsky : Trout and Moment Musical (piano M.Yahlakova
    Chopin / Leopold Godowsky: Etude Op25 No 1 (piano Yu.Favorin)
    Chopin / Leopold Godowsky : Etude Op10 No 6 for the left hand - (piano F.Amirov)
    Paganini-Liszt-Hamelin : La Campanella (piano F. Amirov)

Tchaikovsky Two pieces Op72 in the style of Schumann and Chopin (Un poco di Schumann & Chopin) (piano A.Valinkova)
    Schumann / Clara Schumann : Spring Night (piano N.Duhovnikova)
    Schumann / Franz Liszt : Frühlingsnacht Op39 No12 (piano N.Duhovnikova)
    Schumann / Paul Pabst : Spring Night (piano A.Stukalov)
    Schumann / Michael Von Zadora : Hör ich das Liedchen klingen (piano A.Stukalov)
    Schumann / Godowsky : How beautiful you are lily of the valley (piano A.Stukalov)
    Schumann-Pevenson : Hazel (piano O.Georgievskaya)
    Schumann / Alexandr Iokheles : From Manfred - Shadow of the grove. The Alpine Fairy (piano A.Reznik)

D'Indy Vincent : Schumanniana Op30 (piano George O)
    Chopin / Franz Liszt : Six Polish Songs (piano Yu.Favorin)
    Aleksander Michałowski : Paraphrase über den Minuten-Walzer Op64 No1 (piano A. Komarov)

Federico Mompou : Variations on a Theme of Chopin A major (Based on Prelude in A major, Op. 28, No. 7) (piano N.Kozhin)

Grieg Edward : Stimmungen , Op. 73 No 5 Study (Hommage To Chopin) (piano A.Davydova)

Casella Graziosi (piano A.Davydova)
    Chopin / Eduard Schutt : Paraphrase on Waltz Op.64 No2 in C sharp minor (piano O.Kozlova, N.Kozhin
    Mussorgsky / Lee Pattison : Chimes from the Boris Godunov (piano O.Kozlova, N.Kozhin)

--> Vyacheslav Gryaznoff's scores and his Official Page <---

Karen Kornienko piano transcriptions

3 Sketches on the themes of the opera "Boris Godunov" (arr. for piano by A. Kamensky )
    Maria Yudina, piano

Grand Shriner
    Carl Orff / Eric Chumanchenko : Carmina Burana

Alexander Danilovich Kamensky (1900-1952) - outstanding Soviet pianist, pupil of Professor BLUMENFELD. Professor of Leningrad Conservatory.

01. Kabalevsky - Grapes forager's Choir from opera "Cola Brugnion" (arr.by A.Kamensky)
    02. Khachaturian - Dance
    03. Schubert - Waltzes (suite)
    04. Tchaikovsky - Capriccioso
    05. Tchaikovsky - Interrupted Dreams
    06. Scriabin - Prelude
    07. Scriabin - Prelude

Alexander Kamensky, piano
    Rec.1940s
    Radio Petersburg

01 - Schubert. Adagio in E major, D.612.
    02 - Schubert. Three Minuets - 1. A major, D.334.
    03 - Schubert. Three Minuets - 2. E major, D.335.
    04 - Schubert. Three Minuets - 1. Cis minor, D.600.
    05 - Schubert. Ten Ecossaises, D.145, 299, 421, 697, 735, 781, 977.
    06 - Schubert. Allegretto in C Minor, D.900, 348 (edition by Alexander Jocheles).

Robert Schumann
    Two Fragments from the Music to Lord George Gordon Byron's Dramatic Poem "Manfred" (transcription by Alexander Jocheles)
    07 - The Shadow of Astarte.
    08 - The Alpine Fairy.

09 - Schumann. Gugue, Lied and Fughette, Opus 32.
    10 - Schumann. Four Sketches for Piano with Pedal Keyboard, Opus 58.
    11 - Schumann. Impromptu on a Theme by Clara Wieck, Opus 50.

Alexander Jocheles (a.k.a Iokheles), piano
    Recordings from the 1950 - 1960s

Hey Guys

Does somebody knows how to download
    Orchestrations by Sir Henry Wood ?

The link take me to another site with a thread closed here

Thanks in advance!

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by kobalski View Post
    Hey Guys

Does somebody knows how to download
    Orchestrations by Sir Henry Wood ?

The link take me to another site with a thread closed here

Thanks in advance!
    I think that the message addresses the issue clearly.
    Only registered users allowed to view tracklist. You should log in or ask an invite.
    If you didnt recieve your password you can restore it. The link to restore is under login form.

Oh OK, Its not a download link.
    It´s a link to another post on another site asking You to register

But I Didn´t find the register button!!!

Grand Shriner
    Oh OK, Its not a download link.
    It´s a link to another post on another site asking You to register

But I Didn´t find the register button!!!

When I posted it on 03-10-2012, it was a download link. But the folks of boxset.ru decided to change their policy. It's the invite button.
    This is the DL link they provide, if you are able to download it...

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsobanian View Post
    When I posted it on 03-10-2012, it was a download link. But the folks of boxset.ru decided to change their policy. It's the invite button.
    This is the DL link they provide, if you are able to download it...
    "The file owner has limited free downloads of this file. Thus a premium membership is required to download this file."

Oh well, Thanks anyway for the efforts Tsobanian

Tree Of Life Soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by chrischris View Post
    but someone had provided me with a link... and I'll share this with you if you write me a PM
    Do you still have a link for DL of the the entire list of songs from the movie? I am hitting a dead end trying to find all the other songs not on the original soundtrack release. Thanks.

Grand Shriner
    Oh well, Thanks anyway for the efforts Tsobanian

Orchestra: London Philharmonic Orchestra
    Conductor: Nicholas Braithwaite
    Composer: Johann Sebastian Bach, Frederic Chopin, Franz Xaver Scharwenka, Enrique Granados, Edvard Grieg, Modest Mussorgsky, Claude Debussy, Sergei Rachmaninov

Orchestrations by Sir Henry Wood
    J.S. BACH Toccata and Fugue in D minor (BWV 565) [9:53]
    CHOPIN Marche funčbre (from Piano Sonata No.2 in B flat minor) [10:26]
    SCHARWENKA Polish Dance (Op.3 No.1) [4:10]
    GRANADOS Spanish Dance (No.5 Andaluza) [5:15]
    GRIEG Funeral March [7:47]
    DEBUSSY La Cathédrale engloutie (Preludes, Book 1 No.10) [6:46]
    RACHMANINOV Prelude in C sharp minor Op.3 No.2 [3:46]
    MOUSSORGSKY Pictures at an Exhibition [30:29]

Code:
    http://www.peejeshare.com/files/362287262/Orchestrations_HW.rar.html

password : kursanov

The conductor Sir Henry Wood was an adept of grand orchestration and continued in this activity after such indulgences had ceased to be fashionable.

The famous Bach Toccata and Fugue in a free-ranging transcription produced in 1929 manages to be teutonic and gargantuan yet finds room for fine romantic detail indebted to Rimsky-Korsakov's fantasy operas.

The Chopin Funeral March is for large orchestra with bells and organ. It goes rather well and this version was first played in 1907 to mark the death of Joseph Joachim. This is a typically sonorous orchestration and it is sonorously played and recorded. It would be interesting to compare it with the orchestrations made by Stokowski and Elgar; the latter, it will be remembered, also orchestrated several Bach organ works. The wide-ranging Lyrita recording is something to be relished from the measured emergence into virtual silence to the saturated rise to protesting grief. Enigmatically it is both confessional and bellowing. The style is grand and no mistake; Hollywood sentimentality has nothing on this.

Xaver Scharwenka (brother of Philipp Scharwenka) had his Polish Dance No. 3 (one of a piano set of 12) orchestrated by Wood in 1919, the year of Polish independence also celebrated in Elgar's Polonia. It is as light on its toes as the use of the grandest of grand orchestras permits and there's certainly some delicate texturing.

Granados's Spanish Dance No. 4 in G is a reminder of Wood's regard for the Spanish composer. When Granados and his wife died after the torpedoing of the steamer ‘Sussex’ in 1916, Wood played the completed part of the Granados’s major orchestral work Dante and Virgil. Here we stand at the more frivolous end of the scale with an orchestration that emphasises the Spanishry - complete with castanets. As in the Chopin the notated portamento is distinctive and very much of its time.

After this comes another funeral march - clearly Wood liked them and he did them well. This time it’s Grieg's March for Richard Nordraak. The treatment preserves Grieg's distinctive folk lisp but overall it’s another weightily expressive piece.

Debussy's Cathédrale engloutie was more famously orchestrated by Stokowski but before that it had been given the orchestral treatment by Henri Büsser. Lewis Foreman plausibly speculates that, given its date (1919), it was intended as a memorial for Debussy's death in 1918. It's good to hear Wood, the magician of instrumentation, handling this piece with kid gloves and magically intensifying the impressionistic textures.

Rachmaninov could never escape the fame of his Prelude in C sharp minor op. 3 no. 2. Part of the 'curse' was a slew of orchestrators anxious to capitalise on the work's success. Wood's version was heard at the Queen's Hall promenades on 20 September 1913 and he recorded it acoustically in 1915. There is about it something of the funeral cortčge again. Wood every time succumbs to the stormily monumental if offered even a glimmer of encouragement.

It would be good to find a list of all the orchestrations of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Lewis Foreman reports that the first was by an obscure pupil of Rimsky-Korsakov, one Mikhail Tushmalov whose version dates from 1891; are we quite sure that this is not a nom de plume for Henry Wood who was given to that sort of thing. In any event the Tushmalov version was played by Wood after his own had been launched. Wood had been encouraged to tackle the orchestration by Rosa Newmarch and completed it in 1915. His version elides the promenades that separate the movements in the Ravel and in the original. Wood went so far as to withdraw his own score which is a pity because it has many strengths and is well worth getting to know. The highlights include the grand guignol of The Gnome with its rattle and nightmare. The Old Castle is more suave than the Ravel - one misses the saxophone. Tuileries is more pointillist-delicate than the Ravel with the solo violin playing a chuckling role. Bydlo has a more funereal tread and effect than the Ravel. The Ballet of the unatched chicks is inventively done with more woodwind charm than the Ravel. Goldenburg and Schmuyle has its pleasures including the strange woodwind chatter at 1:02 but overall is lacklustre by comparison with the Ravel. The chittering Limoges is similar to the Ravel. Catacombae is full of suitably mortuary effects. Bab Yaga's Hut on Chicken Legs is another example of the sort of horror which Wood loved - he seems to have loved full-on horror rather than the lightly spooky. This movement recalls at times Night on the Bare Mountain. It ends with an eleven bar episode for the mushroom bells which do a creditable job of evoking Russian cathedral bells before the crash of The Great Gate of Kiev in which Wood's phrasing differs noticeably from that of Ravel. Also at 2:00 the introduction to the pealing bell evocation is more magical than in the Ravel.

As expected then, it's swings and roundabouts but there is plenty here to fascinate and please. The additional steeliness and grandiloquence that Wood brings is well worth encountering and that 32 foot organ pedal for The Gate registers unmistakably.

Who but Lyrita would give us such a valuable collection and annotate it in such princely detail at the hands of Lewis Foreman?

An enjoyable collection shedding new light on Henry Wood.

The forthcoming Prom No 16 will be featuring an Debussy / Sir Henry Wood orchestration.

Oh MY God!!!
    Thank You Tsobanian, You´re a Gentleman

P.S.
    I´m Greatfull forever ever