Page 405 of 600 FirstFirst ... 305355395399400401402403404405406407408409410411415455505 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,125 of 14999
Like Tree5663Likes

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Many thanks for your contributions Herr Salat. Much appreciated!
    Loveliness, Elegance, and Nobility Compilations
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Angela Aki Discography
    Kokia discography
    Sun Yanzi Discography
    Toshihiko Sahashi Thread

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by micobear View Post
    a little return for Herr Salat's generosity~

Naoki Sato's score to NHK documentary: Dinosaur vs Mammal -hundred and fifty million years' war-

aac@320k (118mb)

Highly Recommend~!! enjoy~
    I get undecipherable character encodings for the filenames of that one, but I was able to find the tracklist elsewhere: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    (It's still Japanese of course, but I prefer seeing that over "11 πσ╕▒ ~σ║Σ╣│Θ₧~.m4a")
    Herr Salat likes this.

As I announced earlier, here's a very nice "feel good" orchestral score I'd like to introduce to you.

Yusuke HOMMA
    Ii Hito OST

The Czech Philharmonic Chamber Orchestra
    Prague National Theater Chorus
    Conducted by Mario Klemens

Mp3 320 kbps / 18 tracks

Yusuke Homma is a rather prolific composer in Japan. He has produced numbers of anime, drama and movie scores over the span of his career; but for some odd reason, his music, often orchestral, has never been posted in this thread (to my knowledge). It's greatly time to repair this scandalous shortcoming by posting one of his most pleasant scores!

Ii Hito, a Japanese drama from 1997, basically relates the story of a "Mr. Nice Guy" who, after being dismissed for being too nice, progressively gains the esteem and respect of his co-workers. Like the story itself, the music is very optimistic in nature. Yusuke Homma created a very positive sounding score, resolutely hopeful, like what you would expect from a sports movie where a feeble athlete eventually wins the Olympics or something.

I enjoy this score precisely for its positive nature, because it does provide me some energy and good mood when I need them. At a time when so many people seem to be crazy about desperately dark, brooding, pretentious and noisy scores *cough, TDKR, cough*, I think it's interesting to post the exact opposite: a beautiful and melodic score, full of glory and cheerfulness, that inspires and motivates. Enjoy!

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Lens of Truth View Post
    Continuing the Disney theme:

320kbps / 165 MB / 8 tracks / 1:11 mins

1. POCAHONTAS - Suite
    (Pocahontas / Ship at Sea / Grandmother Willow / Council Meeting / Skirmish / The Warriors Arrive / Execution / Farewell)
    2. 'Just Around the River Bend' in the style of Vaughan Williams *
    3. 'Colours of the Wind' in the style of Dvořk *

4. THE LITTLE MERMAID - Suite
    (Main Title / Fanfare / Fireworks/ Jig / Storm / Bedtime)

5. 'Beauty and the Beast' in the style of Rachmaninov *
    6. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST - Suite
    (Prologue / West Wing / Transformation 1 / Transformation 2)

7. THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME - Suite
    (Gypsy Dance / Paris Burning / Esmeralda / Santuary! / And He Shall Smite the Wicked)

8. ALADDIN - Suite
    (Marketplace / The Cave of Wonders / The Kiss)

* Arrangements by Donald Fraser
    I know this might be a stretch, but can anyone re-upload this soundtrack?

Last edited by Herr Salat; 08-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    arthierr and Icaaruz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Salat View Post
    [center]KAORU WADA
    Composition ~ Arrangement ~ Conductor

King of Beetle
    MUSHIKING:
    Legend of the Forest People
    Soundtrack Best Selection

Apple Lossless

Tracklist information at [Hidden link. Register to see links.].
    Not tagged in English...yet.
    Awesome ! many thanks for that gem

Wondeful, Herr Salat! Again I can only admire your genuine dedication and remarkable efforts. I haven't listened to Coach before, and boy does it sound good. Many thanks for the AAC rip!

Your enthusiasm is very communicative, so I'll post tonight another Yusuke Homma, again a very positive and cheerful score.

Edit: edited my Ii Hito post thanks to the back cover photo you found!

Last edited by Herr Salat; 08-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Oh, YES! That is going to look BEAUTIFUL. GR was pretty much theatrical quality animation, after all...

BUT! F**k me, it's expensive. Actually, no, strike that. It's SHOCKINGLY expensive. 500 (once postage and import fees are added) for seven OVAs of about 50 minutes each. That's under six hours of content. And it's a twenty year-old show. Count me out, chaps - I'll be pirating that one. I'm a very big fan of GR (the shows as well as the scores) but that is just TOO MUCH for any sane man to contemplate...

Edit: The Japanese description appears to be suggesting that Amano's scores will be isolated in full, losslessly, at 24-bit 96khz. This could be interesting. Still too damn expensive, though... :/

Edit again: That's a four disc set. Assuming the BDs are dual layer, that's a 200gb download. Oh, lucky lucky me. My ISP is really going to whip my arse that month...

Brilliant uploads coming thick and fast- I can't keep up! Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by simonwu20923 View Post
    I know this might be a stretch, but can anyone re-upload this soundtrack?
    I'm going to post an updated version of this soon.

Grand Shriner
    If somebody has a rapidshare account this may be of interest:

Rather painful to download at 30K/s (free).
    Herr Salat likes this.

Grand Shriner
    So this is happening: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

somber orchestral marches?
    TazerMonkey and Herr Salat like this.

Grand Shriner
    I never like the OCR projects that involve "orchestral" arrangements. The Chrono Symphonic project was a complete joke and did not serve as a suitable tribute. I will at least give it a shot, but I remain skeptical that this new project will succeed in paying homage to one of the most famous of FF scores.

I also remember disappointment with the Chrono Symphonic album, but, to be fair, it was inspired by a fan-written screenplay written by a high schooler; there seems to be a much greater sense of professionalism to this project.

What I find interesting is that they're over $50K and still have a month of financing left to go. With that much money, it seems much more in the realm of possibility that perhaps for the orchestral bits they could actually hire a live, full orchestra and take it to the next level of awesome. If it was announced that they'd do as such if they reached a certain goal, I know I'd be more inclined to participate. Right now it seems they're more interested in expanding the physical release with their excess costs, which is somewhat discouraging.

I've thought for a long time that if I ever became wealthy I'd want to try and fund something like this (FF6 is my favorite game soundtrack by a rather significant margin) and if they really step up and bring their A-game this could be really quite exciting. Color me excited, if slightly apprehensive.
    "Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Grand Shriner
    I really wouldn't expect anything from this, orchestral-wise, unless streichorchester is contributing himself. I'm looking forward to it, as OCRemix is usually a lot of fun, far more so than, say, ZREO, but they're already said as much they're focusing strictly on diversity with this one.

Bah, it's going to stink and you all know it. Talentless hack amateurs who have learned a little bit about sample libraries by playing with Fruity Loops, making limp and uninteresting "arrangements" of existing pieces, taking advantage of the popularity of their source material to get impressionable fans who don't know any better all riled up and foaming at the mouth. Another artless, failure of a project that deserves nothing but derision and obscurity, but will undoubtedly be trumpeted as the most epic thing EVAR. Oh, shoot me, shoot me now.

At least they're not that collective of deluded nutcases otherwise known as ZREO; but perhaps there is only room in this world for one group as consistently arrogant, ignorant, and imbecilic as them.

Anybody else pine for the days when musicians made music, and fans used to listen to it?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by tangotreats View Post
    Bah, it's going to stink and you all know it. Talentless hack amateurs who have learned a little bit about sample libraries by playing with Fruity Loops, making limp and uninteresting "arrangements" of existing pieces, taking advantage of the popularity of their source material to get impressionable fans who don't know any better all riled up and foaming at the mouth. Another artless, failure of a project that deserves nothing but derision and obscurity, but will undoubtedly be trumpeted as the most epic thing EVAR. Oh, shoot me, shoot me now.

At least they're not that collective of deluded nutcases otherwise known as ZREO; but perhaps there is only room in this world for one group as consistently arrogant, ignorant, and imbecilic as them.

Anybody else pine for the days when musicians made music, and fans used to listen to it?
    I'll gladly take the current day, where fans can celebrate what they love while expressing musicality of their own and quite a few becoming professional talents in their own right, over pointless, snobby cynicism, thank you.

What did I do to deserve that?

Haha, Tango! While your post is perhaps a little too negative to some tastes, the subject you tackle is quite an interesting one. Basically, you can boil it down to the question: what is it to be an artist?

Are you an artist simply by doing art, by having artistic activities? In which case anybody, including these guys, is virtually an artist. Or does it requires a necessary amount of knowledge and skill to be considered a real artist? But in this case, how comes that many highly trained artists have some rather bland, uninspired production? Would that mean that you also must have something else on top of being very skilled and knowledgeable?

After years of artistic activities, I tend to think that to be a real artist, you must have some real talent AND some high competence / knowledge.

In terms of talent, nobody is equal, we are all born with a different level of talent and artistry, and this will have an important influence on the quality of our production afterwards. But talent without competence isn't much, in fact. I don't know who said "good art is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration", but this is absolutely correct. You have to be very learned and highly trained in order to create some really good, or even great, art. Talent without skill is like having a million dollar on a desert island: it's mostly useless.

Conversely, I've seen many very competent artists who aren't really inspired and tend to mechanically apply recipes in order to create technically very good but artistically bland material. So you probably also need more than pure skill to be a real artist. A certain level of natural artistry, aesthetic sense and brilliant inspirations is required to create some really worthy art.

Now, about these guys, I won't make any judgment about them since I don't know them, their background and their past production; but in the hypothesis they are indeed amateurs who try to play big game, would it be a bad thing? I don't think so, *IF*, and only if, their project isn't a commercial one, and if they clearly state at the beginning that this a FAN project, not a professional one. It seems to be the case, so I can only wish them good luck and hope they'll give the best of themselves for it!

That said, I must admit I don't have much hope about it. FFVI, by its nature and scope, requires a grand orchestral approach, and I really don't see how you can respect the original spirit by opting for a multi-genre approach, including some popular music styles that are about as prestigious and lofty as a fart joke.

Thank you!

Just to clarify, I love the fact that today one is able to express themselves artistically if one so desires. Truly it allows people to realise their potential - people who would have had no other chance whatsoever to explore that potential in any other era.

Unfortunately, for every one person who benefits, for every great artist who is discovered, for every talented amateur given a chance to bloom... there are fifty thousand bumbling simpletons who pirate themselves a copy of Cakewalk and a few sample libraries, and suddenly they think they're John Williams. For them, music is software, software is music. ZREO are prime examples; their press releases use the same language you'd expect to hear in a Microsoft keynote presentation. They're not musicians. And there's one very good reason why they're working on Zelda, or Final Fantasy, or Mario, or whatever - it's a quick route to popularity and, as more recent projects have discovered, MONEY. ZREO aren't popular because they're great musicians; they're popular because they're arranging music from hyper-popular franchises.

Did I read that one of these nonsense projects has raised FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLARS? Do they realise what you can do with fifty thousand dollars? My orchestral project is on a budget of 5,000. I'd kill for fifty grand.

I have nothing but respect for people who want to create, who believe in something and work hard to make it the best they possibly can. I have less respect for groups of arrogant shortcut-takers who dupe money out of mindless fanboys and turn out artless nonsense. I can think of a dozen composers off the top of my head who really could use that money and would do something truly wonderful with it. They won't get it, though - because they're not cooking up "epic awesomesauce" Koji Kondo meets Gladiator arrangements of thirty year old Zelda melodies!

Obsessive Orchestral Music Maniac Doublehex's Avatar
    Well, that's the thing you have to deal with crowd funding such as Kickstarter. All of the big success came from big names. There's The Banner Saga, who raised 800% of their original goal because the three main members all came from Bioware AND they are appealing to a genre of games (turn based strategy) that hasn't been touched for the most part. Double Fine got so much money because they have been known to create very well done, strange and weird story centric games (oh, and Tim Schafer). Wasteland 2 got alot of money because most of the talent came from Wasteland, which was a HUGE hit back in the day, as well as being another example of appealing to the turn based genre.

So, you want to know why this FF6 fan project got alot of money? Because it is a fan project to FF6 AND it's from a well known group in the fan music scene. So when you combine the two, it's no wonder that you get such a massive success in terms of money.

Now tango, I will say this: if you ever decide to fund an orchestra project of yours on Kickstarter, I'll throw some money your way. Just saying. No nudging or suggesting intended.
    ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Blog} ) ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Custom Soundtrack Covers} ) ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Soundtrack Reviews} )
    ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {13th Age Campaign and Setting Resource Site} )

I certainly agree with Tango that if you were to look at the prior works done by the guys at OCR, they were mostly disappointing. To me most projects require a grand symphonic approach because they tend to be based on games with big grand scores. But their works tend to be full of beats (see FFIV). I don't doubt that they want to do something amazing but I'll believe it when I see it if it truly turns out to be something worthy of spending money on.

Thank you very much indeed!

I had considered it, to be honest - it would take the edge off. As far as my current plan is, I'm financing it completely out of my own pocket and calling in just about every single favour I can think of. I just hate taking money off people. Receiving donations shifts the focus subtly. I thought I would feel more comfortable paying for it myself; that way if it was a complete and utter cock up, or nobody liked the finished product, I wouldn't have to feel guilty about sinking other people's funds. I can just hear it now: "Here's a donation. Since I'm putting money into this thing, why don't you...?" and so on.

On the other hand, it's a metric f**ktonne of money. With the favours and the low budget all taken into consideration, I can do my album for about five thousand. That's about 30 minutes of full orchestra and another thirty minutes of smaller-ensemble companion pieces. It's not going to bankrupt me, but it's not exactly the sort of money I can casually pull out of my ass, either. The donation thing bothers me because you pick a sum, and if you reach it, you get your money. If you don't reach it by the end of your allotted time, everybody gets a refund and you get nothing.

SO... What do you do? I could say I want 5,000 to completely fund the whole thing. But frankly, I wouldn't turn down *anything* - even if I got, say, 500 or 1000. IT WOULD HELP! So, I say I want 1,000. Then what if my project is stupidly popular? Suppose people *would* have come up with the full five grand but now they won't because they'll get me up to 1,000 and say "Oh, OK, he's got all the money he needs!" and stop donating...!!! By the same token, 5000 would do the job reasonably well - but what if people want to donate 20,000 or 50,000 or 100,000? Warsaw Philharmonic and choir. Donate 200,000 or 300,000? Two CD set orchestrated by Yoshihisa Hirano recorded in Abbey Road 1, Eric Tomlinson out of retirement to record it, London f**king Symphony Orchestra, London Symphony Chorus, Huddersfield Choral Society, guest soloists, ondes martinot, theremin, blaster beam, and the Royal Albert Hall organ, thank you very much, mate, that'd be lovely.

Ohh, a man can dream...

So, you have a choice between deliberately under-estimating what you need to increase the chances of reaching the goal and getting the money, or giving an accurate or over-inflated estimate and taking the risk that you won't reach the goal in time and will eventually receive sod all.

That, and I doubt I'd get much recognition - since I'm not doing Hans Zimmer-alike arrangements of video game scores I can't capitalise on the "OMG I PLAYED THAT GAME WHEN I WAS A KID HERE HAVE ALL MY LIFE SAVINGS!!!!!!" mentality that is going around the ZREO and OCR projects at the moment!

Maybe I should throw a ten minute Zelda / Final Fantasy / Mario / Sonic / Kid Icarus medley on there just for the sheer bloody hell of it...
    TazerMonkey and Herr Salat like this.