Page 151 of 596 FirstFirst ... 51101141145146147148149150151152153154155156157161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 14888
Like Tree5476Likes

Thread: THE BIG ORCHESTRAL ACTION MUSIC THREAD!

Making my weekly contribution to the cause of "taking thread further off topic"...

Having heard Horner's Avatar samples, I can't deny that I'm disappointed with the direction he's taken. I was praying - as I hope a lot of people were - that James Horner working with James Cameron on a massive Sci-fi movie might just be that score that brings back good old-fashioned symphonic scoring the way Star Wars did in 1977. Sadly it's not time yet, so it appears, as Horner has been dragged down the ethnic percussion / banging noise / wailing vocalist route that's so well trodden already.

As far as style goes, it's a giant modern disappointment of a score. BUT, I have absolutely no doubt that Horner is still firing on all cylinders underneath it. This is going to be a great score masked as a crap score, if that makes any sense. It will satisfy the sound "requirements" for a contemporary sci-fi score, but the heart beating within will be pure.

It's just going to take a leap of faith to enjoy it, I feel.

One day, the new Star Wars will happen and we can put this sorry era of scoring behind us. It seems to be getting closer and closer by the day, but the day isn't today and the score isn't Avatar. It's going to conform, but challenge the boundaries of conforming. The true revolutionary will come some other time.

I wonder who will be writing it... Horner? Williams? Verta? Giacchino? Arnold? Or will some complete unknown step in at the right time on the right movie with the right director, and again make history?

Guys just posted my Toshihiko Sahashi Thread:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Please contribute anything you don't see posted and PM me about anything you think you want to upgrade the quality of. Hopefully all the links work
    Loveliness, Elegance, and Nobility Compilations
    Angela Aki Discography
    Kokia discography
    Sun Yanzi Discography
    Toshihiko Sahashi Thread

Hello everyone. I'm curious, were the rest of the Giant Robo soundtracks ever posted? In better quality than 128k mp3s, I mean?

Nope, although I recently acquired OST V in VBR. I'll try to post it soon. Plus 1, 2, and 3 were posted in the lossless thread, I can re-post 1 and 3 in VBR as well.

I might be able to help with this in a few weeks, depending on finances... I may be able to obtain copies of the missing soundtracks (4, 5, 6, 7) - if I do, I'll happily get them uploaded in lossless somehow. They're rare enough for FLAC to be very, very worthwhile.

Onion Kid
    Himitsu the Revelation OST:

Composed by Yoshihisa Hirano.

There's a track specifically named "Chase", if anyone is looking for Chase music. A similar track to that is "The Number Nines"

Yes, I posted OSTs 1 and 3 in that lossless thread. Thanks for OST 2, Sirusjr.

I can post lossless versions of at least some of the rest... maybe even all of them... but I can't remember what I have! I was digging through a box in the closet the other day and found the GinRei with Blue Eyes OST, something I bought a while back and had completely forgotten about. And then I remembered having at least one other GR soundtrack, if not several besides 1 and 3... I'll keep searching and report my findings here, okay?

Oh yeah I didn't recognize your avatar :P Still maybe I will post the others again for completion sake here so 1-3 and V are together in good quality mp3.

Alright, so i've seen a lot of discussion in here recently, since i joined on movie and anime soundtracks. While I love these discussions, especially on the topic of virtual orchestras.

So i'd like to do, as tangotreats said so eloquently "take this thread further off topic"

I was wondering if anyone knows a lot about composing in the video game industry. I'm very interested in writing for video games personally, and, i'm completely unknowledgable in the topic. I will readily say that i am completely new to anything that has to do with it. I've made some songs that would fit in various situations (nothing good enough to be posted) in games, but i really don't know more than how to work with that.

In light of all this, does anyone have some knowledge in the area of video game music composing? My apologies for taking us wildly off topic.

40-s10c72.mp3
    43-s10c81.mp3
    52-s20c31.mp3
    62-s20c71.mp3
    63-s20c72.mp3
    64-s20c73.mp3
    77-s30c42.mp3
    79-s30c51.mp3
    80-s30c52.mp3
    83-s30sa3.mp3
    88-Credits.mp3
    Thanks for this Arthierr. Now I don't need to go through the whole thing. I just trust your judgement.

And as for Avatar, I do believe in Horner. Before any samples came out I was rather "meh" about this score (and I'm still "meh" about the movie, the plot looks so generic, so trivial), but after samples my hopes went quite high. Or at least higher than before. Different kinds of voices (really nice idea), ethnicity, orchestra, nice theme or two. It really looks good. My problem is only - for now - lenght of an album. Again almost 80 minutes from Horner... So the music better be awesome. You hear me James?

And I didn't say it before, but it's cool to have pro-composer here, who came to say more than "please remove links to my music".

Quote Originally Posted by Grandis View Post
    I can post lossless versions of at least some of the rest... maybe even all of them... but I can't remember what I have! And then I remembered having at least one other GR soundtrack, if not several besides 1 and 3... I'll keep searching and report my findings here, okay?
    THIS IS GREAT NEWS INDEED!!

Please post them in this thread too as soon you catch them. You'll make a lot of orchestral music enthusiasts very, very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by tangotreats View Post
    I might be able to help with this in a few weeks, depending on finances... I may be able to obtain copies of the missing soundtracks (4, 5, 6, 7) - if I do, I'll happily get them uploaded in lossless somehow. They're rare enough for FLAC to be very, very worthwhile.
    Same as above. Unless Grandis post them 1st, in which case he'll notably save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by tangotreats View Post
    One day, the new Star Wars will happen and we can put this sorry era of scoring behind us. It seems to be getting closer and closer by the day, but the day isn't today and the score isn't Avatar. It's going to conform, but challenge the boundaries of conforming. The true revolutionary will come some other time.

I wonder who will be writing it... Horner? Williams? Verta? Giacchino? Arnold? Or will some complete unknown step in at the right time on the right movie with the right director, and again make history?
    Actually, Stargate and ID4 gave me the same musical orgasms I had with those eighties scores. I then believed it was the beginning of a sort of musical "Renaissance" in Hollywood, but this trend didn't really took off. You can tell it by the fact that Roland Emmerich (the director) now often teams up with Harald Kloser, which really can't hold the candle to David Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by baschfire View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows a lot about composing in the video game industry. I'm very interested in writing for video games personally, and, i'm completely unknowledgable in the topic. I will readily say that i am completely new to anything that has to do with it. I've made some songs that would fit in various situations (nothing good enough to be posted) in games, but i really don't know more than how to work with that.

In light of all this, does anyone have some knowledge in the area of video game music composing? My apologies for taking us wildly off topic.
    Dude, you're in the wrong thread. This thread is for posting orchestral music, and having discussions about it, not for specifically talking and giving advices about writing for video games. Even though there are some people who did this here: Mr Tilton, Streich, Mathazzar, and even me (about 10 years ago for amateur self-made games), this is not really the place for this. You should ask in the Anime & Video Game Music section.

Of course, Google is also your friend, plus you can learn a lot by reading interviews of composers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyangx View Post
    Himitsu the Revelation OST:

Composed by Yoshihisa Hirano.

There's a track specifically named "Chase", if anyone is looking for Chase music. A similar track to that is "The Number Nines"
    This was already posted here by Sirusjr, but it's a great initiative anyway, very nice score indeed. Thank you very much and welcome to the thread

Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    THIS IS GREAT NEWS INDEED!!
    Grandis... Please... post... Giant... Robo... Lossless... Can't... Breathe... TOO... EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Actually, Stargate and ID4 gave me the same musical orgasms I had with those eighties scores. I then believed it was the beginning of a sort of musical "Renaissance" in Hollywood, but this trend didn't really took off. You can tell it by the fact that Roland Emmerich (the director) now often teams up with Harald Kloser, which really can't hold the candle to David Arnold.
    In hindsight, those wonderful scores were merely the last gasps of the previous renaissance. There was a lot of great stuff around then - back when Zimmer was an option not a necessity.

If those scores had come today they may have trigged the renaissance... but they weren't trailblazers for their time - they were just particularly good scores in a style that was still kind-of "current" for that kind of film. This was an era where Jerry Goldsmith was still around, John Williams was working hard and frequently, and Basil Poledouris still had a few sci-fi masterpieces in him. I remember in the mid nineties, feeling really depressed about the state of film scoring... Little did I know how much worse it would get...

Onion Kid
    Ah, sorry. I should've checked first.

Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks to Arthierr for Garasu no Kintai (Kousuke Yamashita) and Battle Royale (Masamichi Amano).

Thanks also to tangotreats for Aurora (Masamichi Amano)

I'm just starting to listen to Amano, and WOW, especially for aurora. Thanks a bunch for these, guys.

I really enjoy this one. Once again Dynamedion produces an high quality orchestral score for a VG. Fans of RPG /fantasy / medieval / arabian music will quite appreciate this score.

The Settlers VI: Rise of an Empire OST

Composed By Tilman Sillescu (lead composer), Alexander Röder, Alexander Pfeffer, Pierre Langer and Markus Schmidt

|MP3|VBR|93.18MB|

Credits to Compatto

Remove the *** in the url

Tracklistings
    1) Rise of an Empire
    2) Greenlands
    3) Bow to Your Lords
    4) The Red Prince
    5) Blazing Fires
    6) Forth to Battle
    7) Besieged
    8) Lord Thordal's Quaff
    9) A Settlers Tale
    10) The Northern Mark
    11) The Barrow Hills
    12) Southern Realm
    13) Riders of the Desert
    14) Rain
    15) Crimson Sabbath
    16) Ready the Bows
    17) March to History
    18) Heritage of Kings
    19) City of Wonders
    20) Kingdom of Ice
    21) Alliance of the West
    22) Land of the Sun
    23) The Drylands
    24) Dark Tidings
    25) Exploration
    26) Sharpen the Swords
    27) War Treaty
    28) The Capital
    29) The Emperor's Pride
    30) Restful Meadows
    31) Serenada
    32) Faraway Tales
    33) Break the Enemy
    34) Hold the Lines
    35) Downfall
    36) Victory
    37) Thordal the Knight
    38) Thordal Fighting Glory
    39) Thordal the Warrior
    40) Thordal Crossed Swords

From [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    The most prominent improvement that Sillescu and his composing team were able to achieve over The Settlers’ previous scores was the recording with live orchestra, in this case the State Orchestra of Brandenburg. Indeed, most of Dynamedion’s latest scores featured real orchestra (most notably in Anno 1701 and ParaWorld) which is a testament to their dedication to take game soundtracks to the next level. The quality of the orchestra’s performance is evident from the very first cue on the album: “Rise of an Empire” introduces the new main theme for The Settlers, a solemn, proud and majestic melodic phrase. It serves as the thematic backbone of the score and is referenced back to in many of the ambient cues, sometimes calm as in “Greenlands” or playful as in “A Settlers Tale”. This theme is not confined to one dimension however. The player’s adversary, the sneaky rogue Crimson Sabbath, is underscored with the same theme. Yet, her evil presence corrupts the majestic musical quality by destroying the theme’s pleasant harmonies (e.g. “Crimson Sabbath”). The theme’s most interesting aspect doesn’t lie in its tonal quality though, but rather in its structural variety. The ascending and descending nature of the theme’s progression splits it into two halves and allows each of these halves to be quoted separately. You’ll notice the first half of the theme played by woodwinds in “Southern Realm” and the several hints at the second part in “Bow to Your Lords”, just to name two examples. There are a couple of other motifs to discover in the score, among them a creepy and mischievous melody for the main adversary (“The Red Prince”) and an emotional Spanish flavoured tune such as in “Serenade”. The thematic richness and its thoughtful orchestration takes Rise of an Empire a step further than its predecessors.

In addition to the score’s themes, the composers utilized a varied palette of orchestral colours to express the on-screen happenings. The score adapts musically to the game’s different climate zones by creating colder or warmer soundscapes. In other words, the score shifts dynamically between a lush, orchestral and a Spanish flavoured, ethnic sound. The themes are worked into these musical palettes and connect the ambient pieces. A definite highlight concerning the traditional side of the score is the emotional chord progression in “Kingdom of Ice”. On the other hand, the ethnic musical side is expressed most prominently in the main theme quotation in “Restful Meadows”. In some missions, however, combat is inevitable: greedy bandits, battle-hungry Vikings and an obscure, dark brotherhood threaten a settler’s prosperity and well-being. Dynamedion underscored these passages with forceful and fast-paced arrangements (including an occasional nod to film composer Jerry Goldsmith). Unfortunately, most of these battle cues are shorter than one might have hoped and seldom leave room for proper orchestral development. Still, the score offers expansive musical variety while remaining coherent in its thematic structure.

All in all, The Settlers: Rise of an Empire is a powerful, sophisticated and thematically strong soundtrack which displays once again the expertise and quality of Dynamedion’s work. Empowered by the vivid yet accurate performance of the live orchestra, the score establishes a cinematic sound quality rarely seen in video games.

Very exciting post Arthierr!
    I am always glad to see more music by Tilman Sillescu posted
    Thanks so much for this post! Can't wait to listen.
    (PS: Note my new avatar, i thought it portrays me as much nicer than my last one, even though I really liked the last one).

Sillescu has done some cool stuff in the past, i'll definitly check it out

Schyzopathic, well-cultured Anonymous Another Mad Dancer's Avatar
    Haha marked for moderation already! Hey arthierr, why don't you just upload them to massmirror? Their slow uploading speed scares you? Well, in any case would a reupload be out of the question?

Uh what? The megaupload link still works...

yeah it just worked for me

Schyzopathic, well-cultured Anonymous Another Mad Dancer's Avatar
    But it didn't for me!
    *Tries link again and it works.
    Damn, i was mistaken. Well, in any case my suggestion still stands; use massmirror. It gives your files...uh... mirrors.

I made a cover for Settlers VI. Not a very good one but better than the box art :P

Ouh !
    Nice add for The Settlers... I'm so curious ! Thanks !

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by arthierr View Post
    I really enjoy this one. Once again Dynamedion produces an high quality orchestral score for a VG. Fans of RPG /fantasy / medieval / arabian music will quite appreciate this score.
    The first half is not bad at all. Much better than I expected. For some reason it gave me a Michael Giacchino meets Vaughan Williams vibe (with a hint of Kaoru Wada.)

The second half contains a crazy amount of Spanish flamenco styles and harmonies that made me think I had accidently started playing a Zorro score or something. But as much as I love flamenco, the first half definitely outshines the second half.

arthierr, I promised you (and a few others which names I dont remember) to post something I've written..

Well I've been working on some End Credits and I would like you to hear this. The piece is completed, but it's not completely mixed. It sounds good, but you can hear it's not a real orchestra playing.

I'm curous what you people think of it.