Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Susumu Hirasawa Discography (J-Electro) [MU]

Quote Originally Posted by Backseat_Jesus View Post
    So, I was interested to see if Susumu Hirasawa's first three albums were on Itunes. They are, but only in japan. Anyone know a quick and easy way to buy from Itunes Japan from the US?
    yeah, download all the albums in this thread

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck King View Post
    yeah, download all the albums in this thread
    The downloads of those albums in this thread are 192kbps rips that are transcodes of pretty bad 320kbps rips. I'm grateful for them being available at least, but I'm trying to get each release in the best possible quality I can. If I had a job, I'd just import them, but even that would still be pretty expensive. I'm considering importing a Japan itunes card, but I'm hoping there might be an easier way.

Onion Kid
    how do you know they're transcoded? and what was wrong with the 320 kbps rips?

Onion Kid
    edit2: Alright. Originally I had a post that explained my reasonings for claiming that the first three albums were transcodes, but I deleted it because I wasn't happy with the explanation. I'll try again.

I checked the spectogram ([Hidden link. Register to see links.]) of all three albums, and all three albums tend to cut beneath the frequency range 192kbps mp3 files are capable of containing, thus revealing these are transcodes. I suspect all three of these albums were originally converted from 320kbps mp3s by someone and then shared; probably because the 320kbps files were ripped with a sample rate of 48,000 Hz, which some music players have problem playing.

The problem with the 320kbps files is that they were ripped with a sample rating of 48,000 Hz. Cd audio only contains a sample rating of 44,100 Hz. Because of this, the 320kbps files sound distorted. Probably the reason why I said they sounded bad in my original post.

Susumu rocks! Thanks for the post.

Onion Kid
    Does anyone have the Nano-duplication memorials?

Onion Kid
    I would also like to see if anyone else has the Nano-Duplication Memorials, or any of the other extra tracks from Hirasawa, P-MODEL and KAKU P-MODEL. Those seem to be the rarest and hardest to find.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Backseat_Jesus View Post
    edit2: Alright. Originally I had a post that explained my reasonings for claiming that the first three albums were transcodes, but I deleted it because I wasn't happy with the explanation. I'll try again.

I checked the spectogram ([Hidden link. Register to see links.]) of all three albums, and all three albums tend to cut beneath the frequency range 192kbps mp3 files are capable of containing, thus revealing these are transcodes. I suspect all three of these albums were originally converted from 320kbps mp3s by someone and then shared; probably because the 320kbps files were ripped with a sample rate of 48,000 Hz, which some music players have problem playing.

The problem with the 320kbps files is that they were ripped with a sample rating of 48,000 Hz. Cd audio only contains a sample rating of 44,100 Hz. Because of this, the 320kbps files sound distorted. Probably the reason why I said they sounded bad in my original post.
    That does make sense. However, I do have a FLAC rip of the Essence of Hirasawa comp which has many of the same tracks and they also sound pretty bad. Unless that one was a transcode too? In fact I've d/led quite a few versions of the first three albums and none of them have sounded good. Either way - I'm not really sure where to find "proper" rips of them. Everything from Aurora on sounds great - I'm wondering if SH just used a different mastering technique from that point on (keep in mind there was a huge shift in his sound at this point). If you find a better sounding rip, could you share it? Thanks

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    That does make sense. However, I do have a FLAC rip of the Essence of Hirasawa comp which has many of the same tracks and they also sound pretty bad. Unless that one was a transcode too? In fact I've d/led quite a few versions of the first three albums and none of them have sounded good. Either way - I'm not really sure where to find "proper" rips of them. Everything from Aurora on sounds great - I'm wondering if SH just used a different mastering technique from that point on (keep in mind there was a huge shift in his sound at this point). If you find a better sounding rip, could you share it? Thanks
    Essence sounds crappy, but not as bad as those mp3 files. It's not a transcode. Maybe it contains pre-emphasis? I know a lot of early Japanese released CDs do.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] But, it also could just be because of Hirasawa's equipment choices and program choices at the time.

Don't have a better rip of any of them. Still searching for flac rips of the first three, plus Glory Wars

Onion Kid
    I may be able to provide a FLAC of Virtual Rabbit, but it doesn't sound any better. I'm starting to accept that maybe this is just the way they are. It's also apparent that not every element of the recordings sound bad - for example "Bandiria" sounds great throughout. A lot of the compressed sounds come from the drums. Also, there seem to be a lot of hiss on the vocals. It wouldn't be unprecedented - I remember ordering a few discs from a certain Punjabi singer to replace my 192 kbps rips that seemed like obvious transcodes, only to find that the sound quality really WAS that bad. Weird for a guy like SH though..

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I may be able to provide a FLAC of Virtual Rabbit, but it doesn't sound any better. I'm starting to accept that maybe this is just the way they are. It's also apparent that not every element of the recordings sound bad - for example "Bandiria" sounds great throughout. A lot of the compressed sounds come from the drums. Also, there seem to be a lot of hiss on the vocals. It wouldn't be unprecedented - I remember ordering a few discs from a certain Punjabi singer to replace my 192 kbps rips that seemed like obvious transcodes, only to find that the sound quality really WAS that bad. Weird for a guy like SH though..
    Edit: Nevermind. Misunderstood the first part of your message. As I mentioned before in my previous post, the album may have pre-emphasis, which can cause the album to sound "bright" and harsh when not properly decoded. Big problem though is that it's actually hard to properly decode(AKA de-emphasize) pre-emphasis on a pc, believe it or not. If you post it, I'll try to figure it out if it does have it.

Onion Kid
    sorry - I may not actually have a FLAC of it (either that or I converted it to mp3 and deleted it as I can't tell the difference between 256 kbps and FLAC) either that or I got it confused with Essence

some of the songs on Virtual Rabbit - "Bandiria" especially, do not sound like transcodes. I think you are probably right about this. there is a certain aesthetic he's going for on those three albums which is pretty badly dated anyway. Also come to think of it the only really well-produced album he did before the P-Model reformation is Karkador.

Shriner
    Oh god... all the dead links. Megaupload is gone. I've gotta find a new free host to re-upload to. Any suggestions?

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBirk View Post
    Oh god... all the dead links. Megaupload is gone. I've gotta find a new free host to re-upload to. Any suggestions?
    Yeah, I just realized. Mediafire may work or rapidshare... I need to create a torrent on demonoid. I think I have everything in the highest quality I was capable of finding.

please please do, so many people will regard you as a hero

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

please do, you will be a hero forever

Refile seems a decent enough site too.

It's only been a day or so since it's been released but does anyone have a copy of Hirasawa's new single, Aria? I need it.

All the megaupload links are dead, damn, and I need all of them

Onion Kid
    most of these can be found on slsk. don't fret.

alternatively, there appears to be a huge boxset in the works for SH solo, perhaps similar to the P-Model Ashu-On set? there is basically no information that I could understand on it, but it would be interesting to see exactly what this is. hopefully someone wants to shell out the 31k yen for a copy?

Onion Kid
    It might be easier to understand the contents of the boxset here: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I'm pretty excited about it. I've been waiting so long for an opportunity to get his earlier albums and it's awesome that it includes Glory Wars and Shun's Landscapes and Kun Mae. I'll buy it once I save enough.

Not my link, but found it in 320kbps

ARIA - Susumu Hirasawa
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    "Always do your best for your friends."

Ongoing Score Editing projects:
    Shuki Levy - Silver Surfer: The Animated Series; X-men the Animated Series; Spider-man the Animated Series and The Legend of Zelda Animated Series

Quote Originally Posted by stingray2501 View Post
    Not my link, but found it in 320kbps

ARIA - Susumu Hirasawa
    Thank you for the link, I've tried to found it myself but no luck there.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenfang View Post
    Thank you for the link, I've tried to found it myself but no luck there.
    Here's the short version

Onion Kid
    Since megaupload no longer exists, is it possible for someone to repost the discography on Mediafire? I've been looking for Technique of Relief without much success.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by baskervwatson View Post
    ... is it possible for someone to repost the discography on Mediafire? I've been looking for Technique of Relief without much success.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast