Page 1 of 23 123456711 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What anime introduced you into anime and you knew it was "anime"

What anime introduced you into anime and you knew it was "anime"

haha. lets have fun. (i predict topic will be closed in like 2 minutes but hey, you never know)

read the topic. answer the q. if you were 10, and you saw voltron, but you dind't know what "anime" is, that don't count. the only thing i'll excuse is if you knew it was "diffrent somehow" when you first saw it. i might go with that.

lets all be honest and not speak for other people. for me, it was

robotech/sailor moon/dbz. not in that order. that's when i realized...hey...this ain't nothing like johnny quest..hmmm. and then i got blow away and fell in love. ahh..memories.

I forgot i had imageshack. >.< all this time i had a red x. lol

Delirium Of The Endless Tidus 66's Avatar
    DBZ/ Voltron/ Sailor Moon/ A soccer one, Tsubasa or something like that/ Lost Universe
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

discorporate iconoclastic pastry's Avatar
    Akira.

Taro the dragon boy probably. In 85 or 86 maybe. My cousin would bring stuff from japan/talked about the cartoons and stuff from out there so it was easy to tell what was japanese or not. I also got some [Hidden link. Register to see links.](similar to Hong Kong style) from a friend in second grade and they were awesome as well as the first ones I got on my own I think as I mostly rummaged through my brothers comic collection at the time and besides ordering Calvin & Hobbes from school I don't think I put any effort into trying to buy comics.

Actually mostly my friend bought Calvin & Hobbes back then and I read his, occasionally getting one for myself.

I should mention that those comics were the only such comics that I had for years. A running theme in my young life was wanting certain things and having to wait years before I actually got them. I don't know how normal that was, but I imagine my patience was pretty uncommon. I wanted to import games since my cousin brought some japanese games for the NES in the 80s, but I never got around to doing it until near the end of the 90s... so I mostly just stared at the import shop ads in the backs of magazines. I kept a gamepro or EGM mag from 93 for the entire decade because it had a 40 page import review special section nd I used it to plan most of my early import purchases/roms I looked for.

Also: In my days they called it japanimation... I think!

A soccer one, Tsubasa or something like that
    Captain Tsubasa.
    ON OCTOBER 26th, 2009, FFSHRINE FORUM MEMBER "budarc" POSTED A MOVIE REVIEW THREAD IN GENERAL DISCUSSION INSTEAD OF IN THE TV/MOVIE FORUM WHERE IT BELONGED..

Samurai Pizza Cats
    ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D
    R.I.P. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

No sword will I feel when I'm in battlerage! Metal Maniac's Avatar
    I Knew of the bat DBZ was way different because there was no jokes just hardcore fighting.

Fighting Giants Kill Them All
    Defender of the Golden Hall

Fighting Giants The Hammer Of Thor
    Defender of the Golden Hall
    Thanks to Shinryuden for the sig.

Heavy Metal Gloty!! lmfao yep that was me...

formerly chorns!!
    Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, I think was my first anime, the second time it aired in South Korea, I was 4, I think.
    It's over 9,000!

pfft. i wish i was as lucky as rezo. all my cousins ever introduced me to was their fist on my head. noogie time! >=(

Marceline
    Project Ako was my first anime movie.

I guess I would have to say that my first anime was Sailor Moon? It's kind of tricky, because I watched it for years before, and I got into anime after I started to get into the Sailor Moon manga. I might have started watching some other shows before I started watching it again. At any rate, the sailor moon manga is one of the big things that got me into anime!

Some of my earlier shows were Slayers, Fushigi Yugi, Ah! Megami Sama, and Nadesico. When I first started watching stuff, it was more "this is a show I have access too" then picking out show that looked good!

Yui
    i can always make you smile~ Yui's Avatar
    My first anime was Sailor Moon. It got me into anime, then I watched other animes such as Fushigi Yugi, DBZ, Voltes V and Macross.

Voltes V
    This was my little sisters first anime which I gave to her when she was two! Along with Mazinger Z! And she could sing the theme song when she was 3!

good times.

Yui
    i can always make you smile~ Yui's Avatar
    Voltes V has an awesome theme song imo.

I used to sing it along with my cousins when I was a kid.

But now I forgot how it goes.

NGE for me...

Don't want to think some crazy hentai my eyes stumbled apon when I was just a wee one was the begining of my anime passion, although it was for other things.
    The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth

Registered Used
    inuyasha. i was up late over the summer and watching tv for no reason. i stumbled upon... inuyasha! second episode. this is the one and only anime that i enjoy. no idea why, the others just don't float my boat. i can see why people like them though. except dbz, which obviously sucks balls. chocolate salty balls. i mean seriously, its as dumb as pokemon but somehow older people accept it.
    so anyway, inuyasha.. and then i was wondering around in nice, france and i found an awesome anime+stuff shop (though the bottom floor, the book/manga/comic section, was about 90% hentai). i picked up the only inuyasha dvd i could afford and brought it back here where my computer is french (w. europe, more accurately) dvd region and it is so awesome. so i love inuyasha. a lot of people hate it, which i can understand too. but it is a good time for me, i'm a big fan of all the movies.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Devil Hunter Yohko.

Yes, I'm serious.

Oh noooo :D Lunchbox McGillicuddy's Avatar
    Cutey Honey lzozlozlz

Not my fault! Monkey bastard hands! Dr. Lucien Sanchez's Avatar
    I think I first saw what animé was was when I saw Dragonball Z, soon after that I read-up about animé and decided to watch 'Akira' (basically the complete opposite of what Dragonball Z was) and Akira just blew me away.
    He had a very ambitious script. I said: “Garth, this is a very ambitious script for the money we’ve got – seeing as we’ve got no money. It’s extremely ambitious.” We were filming it in my garage – I had a big garage – but still it was ambitious to film a TV show in a garage.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], Episode 5 'Scotch Mist'

Rorouni Kenshin?

Akira
    taped it and watched it easily over a 1000 times
    i can quote every line of the streamline dub

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

pedo mc tax me softly, black person (whom i love)'s Avatar
    Mobile Suit Gundam, the original series, back in the mid-80's.

Don't ask, I can't remember who it was that introduced me to it.

Robotech was the first anime I watched, but I didn't know what 'anime' was then.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was the first anime I watched when I actually knew that it was originally in another language.

Xbox Live and PlayStation Network ID: RaidenexS
    Steam Community ID: Raidensoul

Grand Shriner A WILD SNORLAX APPEARS's Avatar
    dbz

whoever wrote japanimation should be shot. no true anime fan could ever think of using that word.(spits)

the first anime i watched were sailor moon and card-captor sakura
    hell was made for me!!!

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    What's wrong with japanimation? I'd consider myself a "true" fan of japanimation, so am I wrong for thinking that just because I used the word? Silly ignorant elitist snot.
    khyuffie likes this.

Marceline
    Everyone used the word japanimation when anime first started to become popular here. I can't remember anyone ever saying anime until I was at least 15.

shade17 is just too young to remember those days.
    khyuffie likes this.

Page 1 of 23 123456711 ... LastLast