View Poll Results: Are all DBZ lovers newbs?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 16.67%
  • No

35 83.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DBZ lovers = Anime Newbies?

Still fighting those D*** FF8 bashers. Joeshie's Avatar

DBZ lovers = Anime Newbies?

I was on the internet yesterday and I noticed a "trend". I saw that many people who were DBZ fanatics were considered newbs in the anime world. The way I see it, many people who got into anime was because of DBZ on Toonami. Thus, they are considered new to the world of anime. I find that this sterotype to be incorrect. Do you agree? Disagree?
    >{Proud and Faithful Member of Pobeb Clan}<

My gratitude to Fusion for this wonderful sig.

Family
    Brother and Good Friend of Laburnski
    Son of Constant Engima
    Husband of the beautiful and lovely Guardian of Ice

Member of the Guardians of the Keyblade

Lonely Skater Looking For A Girl StupidSkaterGuy's Avatar
    I used to be a dbz fanatic and i was no newb, it just introduced me to stuff like gundam wing,trigun,etc...so my answer is no....

Hi, I'm not new here or anything but some of you might remember me as Lyricist27,Evolution(not the old webmaster),Evolution27, or Stupid, well it's good to be back

Yes, but you can't blame them. This applies to pokemon and digimon lovers too. Dragon Ball, pokemon, etc. are the only anime that north america has to offer, so either you like them or you don't. People who end up loving these anime eventually will start watching other anime, and then become "real" anime fans. Most people who watch other anime won't go back to dragon ball, and that's a fact. Dragon ball is old.

aka. megalomania >=D

Lonely Skater Looking For A Girl StupidSkaterGuy's Avatar
    correct and incorrect, Dragon Ball is old, Dragon Ball Z is old and new, Dragon Ball GT isnt in the US yet but i hope it comes,its the only one i like that much..

Well, Dragon Ball GT came out around 95 or 96, so it IS pretty old. And it is old because the art hasn't changed all that much since the 80's(so we're introduced ssj4, etc... it hasn't changed all that much), and the plot line is still shallow as ever.

Like I said, I don't mind people liking db like mad because that's all they have. I'm just glad they like anime.

Onizuka Aqua Rhapsody FunkyMonkey's Avatar
    Well, personally, no. I live in California, and I got into Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, and all those yummy mangas around the 4th grade. And then around the 5th and 6th grade, Pokemon came out. Pokemon started to warm up on me and I began to like it. Then, I got into DBZ manga becuase somebody said that the anime on Cartoon Network was cool. Since I got into manga way before that, does that mean that I'm a newbie to anime when I started to like DBZ and Pokemon?
    *Hic* BOOM Ohhhhhh!
    ~[Hidden link. Register to see links.]~

Son of Jecht and Lover of Rikku
    I say no.Im pretty young still(14) but dbz didnt start me on anime (even tho its 1 of my favs).Robotech(rented it) did and so did Akira and Vampire Hunter D (back in Sci-Fi's anime days) and at first i didnt even like it at first and then i started to really get into it.
    "Every story must have an ending"
    -Auron-

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Frustration

BIG UP TO LULURIKKU FOR THIS PHAT SIG ZEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

W*W*ESF Commander
    Samuri pizza cats got me started on anime then pokemon when I was in grade 5 which has had it's time and is dead now but when I was in grade 1 I was a dragon ball fanatic not z at that age I watched the one with chibi goku then when I was in grade 4 I watched the american DBZ's now I watch the subtitled japanese DBZ's and Evangelion and Sugar love(that is sooooo funny) at a club called BAKA which stands for Banzie anime club of alberta now it isn't where stupid morons go I know thats what the word means but thats just what they just decided to call it

my japanese name is Chiisutofupuru or Dechinde

You are zidane
    You are a pervert O_O Well, that's what people think when they see you a first, but once they look deeper, they see that you are a caring and loveable person.

thanks to my sis lulurikku for the great sig

I'm about to drop the hammer and despence some indiscriminant justis

It depends

When you say DBZ lovers, do you mean that ALL they love is DBZ? If they just happen to love DBZ, but theyre into all sorts of other anime too, then no. Not at all. I for one happen to LIKE DBZ (cant say that I love it, but its somewhat entertaining. So I wouldnt exactly call it one of my faves). And I know a bunch of totally hardcore otakus, been in the scene for a long time, and they like DBZ as well.

Here's my definition of an anime newbie:
    All they love is DBZ, DB, Gundam Wing (not ACTUAL Gundam, although they think Gundam Wing is actual Gundam), Tenchi, Pokemon, and any other anime on TV, and they hail themselves as a veritable anime expert. It's even worse if theyve seen the movie Akira, cuz then theyre like "Well I've seen Akira and that isnt on TV! I'm a l33t otuko!"
    to [Hidden link. Register to see links.] a [Hidden link. Register to see links.] story [Hidden link. Register to see links.] i [Hidden link. Register to see links.] my [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Your basically new to anime if all you watch is the anime on toonami, and haven't branched out to other things yet. However, past generations have started on different shows like voltron and all that.

But I'd say yes since all I see people buy at my Suncoast is DBZ tapes.

can you imagine someone about 15 years of age going to suncost and seeing a dbz tape right next to an evangelion one and then buying the dbz one withough any second though.

THAT! imo, is a newbie. that and waht atom said. rofl.

Here's my definition of an anime newbie:
    All they love is DBZ, DB, Gundam Wing (not ACTUAL Gundam, although they think Gundam Wing is actual Gundam), Tenchi, Pokemon, and any other anime on TV, and they hail themselves as a veritable anime expert. It's even worse if theyve seen the movie Akira, cuz then theyre like "Well I've seen Akira and that isnt on TV! I'm a l33t otuko!"
    i swear. they are all like that.

anybody remember my "UNWORTHY THREAD"???

yeah. they are UNWORTHY!!!

I forgot i had imageshack. >.< all this time i had a red x. lol

Kie
    They're not all NOOBs cause i like DBZ and have watched the entire Samurai Pizza Cats, Tekno Man, Neon Genesis and even *shudders* Sailor Moon, before i even knew what the hell it is. Since the qu was "are all DBZ fans NOOBs, then it's case closed cause I like it.

Sparkster has been saved!! Rocket Knight on PS3 out now Took 8 years but was worth it!

Did you get those TPS reports? Wesker's Avatar
    Well with all honesty its yes and no.I know a good amount of people who watch toonami then when i mention such classics like Eva, Iria or even sometimes my Beloved Tenchi Muyo they reply like Jed Clampett to the question.It really depends on what animes and mangas, etc they've been exposed to. If they're a little rusty on it, Teach em for gods sake.
    Son of Setsuna Yuna and Allen Schezar
    Little brother and RL friend of Ultima_Trev

"The children of evil are surely insane"---Judith Moriae

Please only use one sig pic.

::looks up::

Someone has infiltrated my sig......

Yes, I think so... They are far more better things than Dbz out there in the anime world and we have all watched it in our begin periode. It introduced it to other and better animes around o_o

I dont think liking DBZ makes you a newb. Someone whos liked anime for 20 years and has watched thousands of different animes could like DBZ. You wouldnt call them a newb. It all depends on your taste. DBZ is immature compared to most animes, but if someone likes it, then thats just that.

Still fighting those D*** FF8 bashers. Joeshie's Avatar
    What if a person had seen tons of magna and anime before watching DBZ and then watched DBZ and really liked it. That would NOT make him/her a newbie. Just because thousands and thousands of little kids watch the show doesn't mean that the show makes someone a newb.

What kind of anime and manga did that person watch? Anime from the 70's? j/k

Yeah, maybe it's over-generalizing, but for the most case it's true.

Ein rockbares Palindrom!
    I know people whose first manga was Dragonball and even now that they know beter stuff they have not abandoned their old favourite but stayed DB-fans.
    However, I know there are tons of kids who stay DB-fans without showing interest in other stuff... oh, they always rush into the comic store and completely crowd it, they buy all kinds of merchandise and DB manga.
    Somehow they are very necessary, you know, they keep the market alive and give the publishing companies the money they need to release really good manga.
    I love them little idiots.

TRUE.. but the thing that introduced me was Robotech back in the home country of Jugoslavia..So yeah, that and Pokemon are for the kiddies.

Never fully Trust the Quiet Silent Types Kitsune's Avatar
    Watching bits and peices of ninja scroll really got me into anime but before that i watched the first Dragonball and that was much better than dbz. But people whining about power levels every show kinda becomes repetitive and boring. All in all i belive that it is a newbie introduction show but that doesen't mean that anime vetrans can't watch it. Watching a show is all up to personal preference.
    Even though the voices aren't real they have some good ideas!

Sig by Fusion

I'm the Pokewizard, Bitches! Zachron's Avatar
    can you imagine someone about 15 years of age going to suncost and seeing a dbz tape right next to an evangelion one and then buying the dbz one withough any second though.
    Anyone who ever picks DBZ over Eva should be dragged out into the street and SHOT!!!

Believe it or not, I love DBZ, but I hate the fact that Cartoon Network is just repeating the same storyline again and again, and not cycling throught the whole series. I'm not even sure why I like it. Perhaps it's the same thread of insanity that occasionally compells me to demean my intelligence by watching an episode of South Park ever so often.

DBZ wasn't my first anime. Before DBZ I had seen Ranma 1/2, Tenchi, Eva, and a few more of the classics. I frankly don't care if I'm considered to be a newb. I've been at it for at least 6 years, and I'll probably be at it my whole life. No matter who you are, a bit of you will always be a newb.

*Insane psycho persona jumps out.

N00BZ!!! DBZ OWNZ J00 @11 @ND J0 M@M@$!!!

*Shoves leet talking psycho persona into a cardboard box and smashes it with a hammer.

Sorry people. That won't ever happen again.

*Shuts up.
    Support Our Troops.

godly child
    i dont think it is but i like other anime better
    grandparents-Majinsephiroth,Omega zell, MysticGhn,Flame
    Aunts/Uncles-Dark Lord, Bunny,Purcifer
    Dad- Cloud
    Mom-Jade
    Brother-Explosive bobcat
    sister-*Aeowen_Elf*
    Love ya all

Final fantasy forever!

You are Laguna! Although you're way too shy with the
    opposite sex, you've got a heart of pure gold. You're a good
    leader and well liked by those who know you. Most of your
    friends look to your good sense when they need advice.

Worth $60 Billion and counting

Exclamation

It's true that alot of people that start to like anime begin watching DBZ only because it's the most popular anime in the world. Sure there are better ones (Trigun for example) but DBZ is really good. I still watch it when I can (I don't have cartoon network where I live now ) among the other anime they have on there. And I think that the people that dislike DBZ is only b/c so mnay other people like it. Like when Limp Bizkit went commercial alot of people began to hate them only because everybody liked them (that and the fact that they scuk now) The only difference is that DBZ has stuck to the same formula that has made it the success that it is today.

What if a person had seen tons of magna and anime before watching DBZ and then watched DBZ and really liked it. That would NOT make him/her a newbie. Just because thousands and thousands of little kids watch the show doesn't mean that the show makes someone a newb
    see. the thing is, people like that are almost non existent if at all. i've never seen anyone like that. it does prove that all BECAUSE they watch dbz, it doesnt make them a newb. but it does prove that..most likely..with the example atom gave, it's very true.

And I think that the people that dislike DBZ is only b/c so mnay other people like it. Like when Limp Bizkit went commercial alot of people began to hate them only because everybody liked them (that and the fact that they scuk now) The only difference is that DBZ has stuck to the same formula that has made it the success that it is today.
    yet another wonderful example. i love this one. i believe the same happend to pokemon. i loved the damnt show. then i saw tons of kids getting into it. i thought *in big godly voice*

HOW DARE THEY!? THEY ARE UNWORTHY. CAN THEY UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF POKEMON AS I HAVE? NEVER!!!

lol. i think like that. it's funny. but yeah. i question their worthyness. cause i imagine it's just "fun and games" for them. which it is. it's just me who takes things too seriously i think. like i dont play pokemon cause it's fun, i played it cause it was a way of life! lol. yes. i'm crazy.

and i get into things very much the same way. i love dbz. i still do. bulma is hot, and master roshi, master of perverts, is my idol. this show is in my top 5 (or top 6) most fav anime i love to watch. and i've seen "better" stuff as some of you may say. but is it really better? or do you just like something else a lot more?

I've been at it for at least 6 years, and I'll probably be at it my whole life. No matter who you are, a bit of you will always be a newb.
    amazing. an ingenious quote. i like it. and i think your right. just like me and pokemon.

Did you get those TPS reports? Wesker's Avatar
    Yes its true that there will always be a little n00b in all of us.Like when i watch Tenchi Muyo i always find something new after i go back and watch it after a few months and say "Whoa i didnt know about that!" or "Man Ryoko has a soft side too."It just goes to show that when it comes to anime, no one is a true einstein.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast