Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Best/Worst Dubs

Feline Disrespect From Behind! SickHippie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Been there and done that in threads long past. Dig them up if you care so much.
    If you have already discussed your opinions, and don't desire to do so again, I suggest you not post in the thread. While I'm sure this thread has been rehashed over and over and over again in your 3 years on this forum, and I'm also sure that you have discussed AT LENGTH your opinions somewhere is your amazing 8,000 posts, you failed to mention them here. You failed to do so in a very arrogant and annoying manner, and have still contributed nothing of actual value to the thread - although reading some of your other posts elsewhere on the forum, I am not surprised, as there is little of actual value by you anywhere else on this forum that I can see.

Of course, now you will attempt to make me look stupid somehow for falling into your trap, perhaps by pulling quote from this out of context and laughing about them (possibly this very one!). With that I will move on to my next point.

Quote Originally Posted by Prak
    Besides, blindly pointing out what you like without creating any real discussion is far worse than being argumentative.
    Really? Are you sure about that? I suppose you don't hold yourself to your own lofty standards?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prak in the VGCR thread
    Soma because I can't fucking stand Kirby.
    Congratulations. You are now a card-carrying member of the Moron Club. As a member of the MC, you are entitled to certain "benefits," including mockery and disdainful glares from all the more sensible members of the community.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Actually, if I wanted to make you look like a fool, I'd edit your post.

And if you have a problem with me not liking Kirby, you are a sad individual indeed.

Actually, if I wanted to make you look like a fool, I'd edit your post.

And if you have a problem with me not liking Kirby, you are a sad individual indeed.
    About as sad as you are for having a problem with me not liking dubs!

My problem is with you saying that all dubs are automatically inferior, not your dislike of them. That's the rhetoric of a pretentious elitist idiot, eager to prove that he's the biggest "otaku" around. We've seen and mocked that mentality many times before and will do so many times in the future.

My problem is with you saying that all dubs are automatically inferior, not your dislike of them. That's the rhetoric of a pretentious elitist idiot, eager to prove that he's the biggest "otaku" around. We've seen and mocked that mentality many times before and will do so many times in the future.
    Perhaps I should have said "In my opinion" beforehand? I didn't say that all dubs are automatically inferior - that would imply that the subtitled version is superior. I said they were crap. That doesn't mean that the subtitled version can't be crappier. I just watched the Death Note live action movie last night - the sub job was... not so good. Well, really, it was beyond not-so-good. It was utter shit. I have no intention of recanting my statement that all dubs are crap because they are dubs. I just really don't like dubs - they never flow right, you loose the subtleties of the original script, you lose culture and intention, and depending on how bad it is, the translation and voice acting can completely change the entire movie (not in a good way). I do applaud companies that offer an option on the DVD's of subbed or dubbed. Back in the days of VHS, there wasn't that option. I especially applaud companies that actually try to hire qualified voice actors instead of just whoever will show up. Shit, now with AniDB, most high profile animes you can get subbed in several languages. I have heard horror stories from people overseas about animes that were translated to German from the English translation. The results were not pretty.

So all that said, I will recant one thing I said. You did offer something of value to this thread. I probably would not have had the inclination to further explain my position had it not been for your needling. Thanks.

You obviously have not given recent dubs much of a chance to atone for the older ones. A lot more money and effort goes into them these days, and it shows in the quality.

Case in point, you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that the Hellsing Ultimate dub is inferior to the sub in any way.

You obviously have not given recent dubs much of a chance to atone for the older ones. A lot more money and effort goes into them these days, and it shows in the quality.

Case in point, you'd have to be pretty crazy to think that the Hellsing Ultimate dub is inferior to the sub in any way.
    You may be somewhat right on that first point. Tell you what, I'll check out the Hellsing dub and check back in here.

I have taken notice of some of the Miyazaki dubs (specifically Howl's Moving Castle, the latest, but also some of the previous movies as well), and they are not bad, but many of the cultural subtleties are completely lost, and voice inflections and such completely change the "feel" of some scenes. These are recent dubs, and no doubt a lot of money and effort went into them. They are still inferior to the subtitled versions of the same movies, by the same production house.

There are other movies and series I have seen that have obviously had a great dub team, a great budget, and great effort has been taken to do a great job... but compared to the subtitled versions, the dubs are STILL crap. This is the reason why my kids (the oldest is 12, the youngest is 4) watch the subtitled versions instead of the dubbed. If we wanted an American movie, we would watch one. We want the culture and intended art and flow behind what we watch, and we have found the only way to really do that is with the subtitled versions. Sometimes fan subs are even superior to official releases... even through subtitles many scenes can be completely altered by using a different choice of words than the creator intended.

All that is a long-winded way to say I'll try it, and it may change my blanket statement to have a few exceptions. I still believe those exceptions to be few and far between, though.

I think you massively overestimate the number of shows that actually do have any significant Japanese culture in them. I've watched a lot of anime - both dubbed and subbed - in my time (as much as anyone here, I'm quite sure) and I know of very few shows that have lost any cultural significance in translation. I'm certain that if you tried to actually list them, you wouldn't have a very long list.

As far as the ones Disney have dubbed are concerned, they have been handled pretty questionably in most cases. But then again, what else would you expect from Disney? Dubbing the Ghibli movies is nothing more than a side job for them. The companies that specialize in anime dubbing typically do a much better job.

Honestly, you should give some of the recent dubs a chance (just for the sake of fairness, even if you still prefer subs), especially the ones that aren't being pumped out as fast as possible to be aired in the mainstream.

Honestly, you should give some of the recent dubs a chance (just for the sake of fairness, even if you still prefer subs), especially the ones that aren't being pumped out as fast as possible to be aired in the mainstream.
    I think I will do that - besides Hellsing Ultimate, what would you suggest?

A few of the others that I've thought highly of in recent years were:

R.O.D the TV - Another good example of how proper accents can make a difference. Also a damn fine work in general.

Kamichu - If you want to see the Japanese culture conveyed properly in a dub, check this one out.

Full Metal Panic - Solid performances from pretty much the entire cast and a couple truly outstanding ones.

Space Pirate Captain Harlock: Endless Odyssey - If you're familiar with the title character, you can't go wrong here. A couple spotty performances by minor characters, but mostly a very strong sub.

And most recently, I've been picking up the DVDs of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, being the good supporter of the medium that I am and having downloaded fansubs while it was airing. Mostly very solid and almost perfectly captures the feel of the Japanese version.

I could list more, but I'd have to go rummage through my DVDs to pick some out. Alas, I'm too lazy.

I'll start will Full Metal Panic, since I've been meaning to watch that one anyways. Having never seen it, I'll watch the dub first (so it won't be tainted) then the subs... Thanks!

ATAX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKI View Post
    Although I didnt watch it dubbed, in every DVD review of Elfen Lied they say that the dub was really good.

Dont ever watch Naruto dubbed
    I usually perfer the fan sub for Elfen Lied, it's a little more litural and more insightful then the offical ADV.

But yeah the voice acting is pretty bad I perfer the Japanese actors but they're not really top notch either. Wikipedia credits them as pretty bad too. IGN said they were good.
    What are you going to do? Seek your dogs, or your bees, or your dogs with bees in their mouth, and when they bark they chew bee's at you? - Homer

Best dubs:
    Inuyahsa
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Tenchi series (the ones on DVD)

Worst dubs:
    Sailor Moon (first two seasons, lots of stuff cut out)
    Sonic X (anime voice actors became the game voice actors)
    Yu-gi-oh! (stupid 4kids!)

Forgot about pokemon because they got info mixed up, like saying that Brock's mom was dead.

Number one music fan!
    I thought FLCL have very good dub

Best: Fruits Basket and Cowboy Bebop

Worst: Bleach and Naurto
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Of course Naruto is the worst English dub I've ever heard in my life.

The dubs of Elfen Lied and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are pretty good, and Hellsing Ultimate is much improved over the 13 episode TV series...

On a contrary note: I'm probably the only person who'll say this, but I preferred the English dub of Rurouni Kenshin to the Japanese with subs version (GOD Kenshin's voice in Japanese is so annoying!).

Ceres: Celestial Legend = worst dub EVER

I normally don't have much of a pblm with dub, but that one was by far the worst I have ever heard!

Azumanga had a good dub IMO.

Also Kannazuki no Miko has a good dub.

I don't watch dubs. Not because I think they're bad, just because I want to watch anime in Japanese. But I've heard the FMA dub a couple of times and I thought the voices were pretty close to the originals, so I guess I think that's a good dub. Can't really pick a bad dub.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Good:
    inuysha
    Full Metal Alchemist

Worst:
    Naruto (it is just so horrible, my ear actually hurts while watching it, lol)

Autobot protector! Skullgrin140's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steambot159 View Post
    Good:
    Worst:
    Naruto (it is just so horrible, my ear actually hurts while watching it, lol)
    Agreed! Out of all the dubs, Naruto is the worst, and something that could have been better

Rhythm and RPG Tsukuru Enthusiast Starrodkirby86's Avatar
    Great English Dubs:
    Excel Saga (Didn't see the end and stuff though)
    Full Metal Alchemist
    Bad Dubs:
    One Piece...
    and Naruto! Believe it! XD

"Tobi's a good boy!"

Autobot protector! Skullgrin140's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Starrodkirby86 View Post
    Great English Dubs:
    Bad Dubs:
    One Piece...
    One Piece's dub was bad because those crackheads at 4kids raped it, Dont expect Funimation to what 4kids did

Rhythm and RPG Tsukuru Enthusiast Starrodkirby86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullgrin140 View Post
    One Piece's dub was bad because those crackheads at 4kids raped it, Dont expect Funimation to what 4kids did
    I know that. I was talking about One Piece's 4kids Dub after all, the atrocious rap, those voices....augh the voices....D:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast