Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree618Likes

Thread: Outcast of the Star Trek Thread Reunion Thread Part II

Outcast of the Star Trek Thread Reunion Thread Part II

And Away we go...

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:24 PM ----------

I'm back from a short vacation! and ready to go!

Scott
    "Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice without constraint." --Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 15, 1787

Audio Restoration Project Spectre8750's Avatar
    How were things on Ceti Alpha V Scotty? Or were you stuck in the Transporter Buffer again?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre8750 View Post
    How were things on Ceti Alpha V Scotty?
    Peaceful! and no insects wanting to wrap themselves around your cortex to control your every movement or speech

I did get to finish watching Sliders seasons 4 and 5, man what a stinker season 5 was! 4 was not much better either. Hope your weekend was a nice and peaceful one as well?

Scott

Boldly going nowhere fast chiops's Avatar
    How were things on Ceti Alpha V Scotty? Or were you stuck in the Transporter Buffer again?
    The real Ceti Alpha V, or Ceti Alpha VI which was incredulously missing it seems from every star chart in the galaxy.
    BOLDLY GOING NOWHERE FAST!

Audio Restoration Project Spectre8750's Avatar
    V, yeah I think VI is gone now, pitty, they had great Golf Courses too.

V, yeah I think VI is gone now, pitty, they had great Golf Courses too.
    The lakes were wonderful too! you just had to watch for the undertow!!

Scott

Boldly going nowhere fast chiops's Avatar
    The garden spots left much to be desired though.

Quote Originally Posted by chiops View Post
    The garden spots left much to be desired though.
    Yes, that snake in the grass can be a real pain! nothing but a little patience and a gofer can take care of it.

Scott
    Last edited by Scotty57; 08-20-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    chiops, AZSneed and theone2000 like this.

I just hated the screaming....KHAN! KHAN!

I'm back to watching MEN INTO SPACE. If you ain't seen the series, it was real science fiction, what was thought of when man/woman explored the Moon, Mars, and other space bodies, and a wheel space station. Good FX, and good stories, not a lot of action, but, enjoyable.
    Scotty57 and theone2000 like this.
    Lightning Legion-Strike.......like Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by AZSneed View Post
    I just hated the screaming....KHAN! KHAN!

I'm back to watching MEN INTO SPACE. If you ain't seen the series, it was real science fiction, what was thought of when man/woman explored the Moon, Mars, and other space bodies, and a wheel space station. Good FX, and good stories, not a lot of action, but, enjoyable.
    I have to admit I never heard of this series before! of course I was only 2 years old when it came on, but I will have to check it out. thanks my friend

Scott
    AZSneed and theone2000 like this.

Here is a odd story about how I found out about the series. I love music, and on an Neil Norman CD, he had the theme to the series, and it sounded so dramatic, so I looked it up online. I like space, so I bought the DVDs from ebay, back when you could buy burned disc of many series. It was not what I expected, but, I sure do like it. Also, there is a book out about the series. I did see episodes on Youtube.

Here is a odd story about how I found out about the series. I love music, and on an Neil Norman CD, he had the theme to the series, and it sounded so dramatic, so I looked it up online. I like space, so I bought the DVDs from ebay, back when you could buy burned disc of many series. It was not what I expected, but, I sure do like it. Also, there is a book out about the series. I did see episodes on Youtube.
    It figures I would be a day late and a dollar short! The book is still available on amazon and I found a web site that sells the series for $30.00 on DVD, not to bad. I still have to finish watching a few more TV shows and a couple movies, so maybe by next month I can order this series.

Scott
    AZSneed and theone2000 like this.

I just finished watching 1951's Thing From Another World. The monster is scary, not gross, and I really like the banter between the character, more real to me.
    It was the colorized version, not as good color as could have been, but, very watchable.

P.S. I got in the mail, some of the seeds, and plan to grow an army!

I just finished watching 1951's Thing From Another World. The monster is scary, not gross, and I really like the banter between the character, more real to me.
    It was the colorized version, not as good color as could have been, but, very watchable.

P.S. I got in the mail, some of the seeds, and plan to grow an army!
    Great! another army that wants to take over the world and control our every thought! now where did I leave that can of DDT?

That movie is still a good one! there is just something about those 1950's movies that attracts us to still watch them? even thou we have all seen them a hundred times before!! what ever it is I like it

Good old Ted Turner, taking all these classic's and putting color to them! it just does not work for me, I enjoy the b&w original better.

Scott
    AZSneed likes this.

I like the colored versions. I prefer the colorized King Kong over Peter Jackson's version. There is only one King Kong.

We watched movies where you imagined the horror and terror, then they started showing the grossness, and well, I got grossed, not scared.

Question, what would you prefer, an army of Things, or Triffids? What ever you prefer, I will send your way.
    Scotty57 likes this.

I like the colored versions. I prefer the colorized King Kong over Peter Jackson's version. There is only one King Kong.

We watched movies where you imagined the horror and terror, then they started showing the grossness, and well, I got grossed, not scared.

Question, what would you prefer, an army of Things, or Triffids? What ever you prefer, I will send your way.
    I am an "Originalist" I prefer my movies the way they were filmed (either b&w or color) wide screen, remakes are just "Lets redo this movie and improve on it" and 99 percent of the time they miss the mark by a 1000 feet.

A army of Things! they are easier to kill, all one needs is electricity

Scott

....unless they take out the Grid first!

You...you...Originalist! I understand, the original is better, but, I like color, so if it is available colorized, I will get it, if not, I watch it in B&W. All that matters, is the story and acting.
    Scotty57 likes this.

....unless they take out the Grid first!

You...you...Originalist! I understand, the original is better, but, I like color, so if it is available colorized, I will get it, if not, I watch it in B&W. All that matters, is the story and acting.
    Damn! I did not think of that...okay, guess I need to start buying generators then

For me the colorized job they do just does not look right! and makes the movie look hoke! but that is just me. Oh the story and acting has to be there, I agree. I saw the first colorized movie by TNT after Ted Tuner bought the MGM vault and it stunk! I gave the DVD to one of my cousins and bought the b&w version, it just looked better! maybe because I wear glass's? I just know for me it looks better in b&w.

Scott
    AZSneed likes this.

As a model builder, I need color to add extra touches to the model the instructions ALWAY leave off. But, most spacecrafts from the 50's were silver, so B&W don't matter.
    I agree colorized can be hokey. In the Thing, the face colors are really off.

I love Sci-Fi, so I watch so many different DVDs, I am now watching Filmation's Flash Gordon. It is my second favorite behind Buster Crabbe's serials. And, on September 22, it will be it's 35th Anniversary. I still prefer the Filmation movie version, and it was Ted Cassidy's last role, even tho it was his voice, for the Lion Man.
    Scotty57 likes this.

The 2nd Doctor "Oh My Giddy Aunt" Pearlcorderman's Avatar
    I don't like colourised films. I like Laurel and Hardy (don't shoot me, I just do, loved them as a kid and still do now) and when the remastered them for DVD they also did a colourised version of them as well, and I didn't like them. Colour never looks right on black and white because of the grey tones from the original means there is a lack of contrast. I'm with Scotty here, I prefer the B/W originals.

Ah, the local fauna of Ceti Alpha V, Ceti eels...

soundtrekker and Scotty57 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlcorderman View Post
    I don't like colourised films. I like Laurel and Hardy (don't shoot me, I just do, loved them as a kid and still do now) and when the remastered them for DVD they also did a colourised version of them as well, and I didn't like them. Colour never looks right on black and white because of the grey tones from the original means there is a lack of contrast. I'm with Scotty here, I prefer the B/W originals.
    Sure, just gang up on me! You are right, the colors don't look right. When I watch colorized I can tell the colors are off, like how the old Analog TV was like when the signal was bad. I still like the B&W shows, because of the stories. I have been downloading episodes of the 50's US series Space Patrol, in B&W. Some are washed out, but, the stories and action still have me entertained.

I like the short clips of colorized Fireball XL5, and would like to see more, just not worth buying another set to see more.
    Scotty57 and Pearlcorderman like this.

Yes, I know, I've downloaded that collection years ago (the complete 21-disc box set was available as a torrent, complete video_ts folders with complete menus, which I still have on one of my externals!). The color versions are just a gimmick, and not necessary at all - Laurel & Hardy work best in b&w, visually speaking, the colors don't add anything, except reducing the contrast, as you pointed out already.

And yes, I'm a big fan of L&H, like you, and have found many more movies of them not part of the 21disc collection, so my collection now is pretty much complete. Granted, the best of their collaborative work can be found on the box set, but there's still more of them, which might be of interest to true fans.

(PCM, if you are interested in some of the more "obscure" performances of them, feel free to p.m. me )
    Risk... Risk is our business!
    Captain James T. Kirk, "Return to Tomorrow"

Laurel and Hardy were great! along with The Three Stooges, and my all time favorite W.C. Fields! I did see one of the colorized version of there shorts (the three stooges) and it was absolutely horrible! at lest for me the color made it not funny at all and hurt my eyes. Now why colorizing it made it not funny, is beyond me, I have seen this episode so many times, I know it backwards and forwards, but seeing it in color does something to the eyes and brain that your mind is pulled away from the comedy routine and you forget what is happening in the foreground and are drawn to the background! at lest that is what it feels like for for me.

Scott

Sure, just gang up on me! You are right, the colors don't look right. When I watch colorized I can tell the colors are off, like how the old Analog TV was like when the signal was bad. I still like the B&W shows, because of the stories. I have been downloading episodes of the 50's US series Space Patrol, in B&W. Some are washed out, but, the stories and action still have me entertained.

I like the short clips of colorized Fireball XL5, and would like to see more, just not worth buying another set to see more.
    Yeah know we love you AZ!

Now everyone dog pile AZ!...GO! lol

Scott
    Pearlcorderman likes this.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast