Page 116 of 149 FirstFirst ... 1666106110111112113114115116117118119120121122126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3716
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: the ~*~what was the last movie you saw ~*~

You know you love him... GrayEdwards's Avatar
    Pirates 4.

Pretty lame, really. All of the characters were really misused, Blackbeard was a waste, and the characters end up at the exact same place they were at the end of the last film.

Glad I didn't waste money seeing it.

5/10.
    Complete Score Wishlist:

James Horner - Troy; Titanic
    Stardust - Ilan Eshkeri; Dorian Gray - Charlie Mole, The Fall - Krishna Levy
    Hans Zimmer - Man of Steel, Rush, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

The Napoleon of Crime Professor Moriarty's Avatar
    Perfect Blue
    "Humor is reason gone mad." - Groucho Marx

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

David Lynch's 1984 adaptation of Dune. Maybe a failure of narrative but an awesome fever-dream vision of the book.
    "Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place, and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part."

Pretty silly romp about a possessed bong that is ordered from the back of a stoner magazine. Anyone who smokes from it has their conscience transported to a strip bar on another plane and is killed by one of the strippers which subsequently stops their heart in the real world.

super 8.
    felt like watching jaws and E.T. at the same time.

a quick wiki read confirmed my suspicions later.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    because if life is a bitch, im gonna make her MY BITCH
    i now legally posess a phd in zombies.

on february 23, 1987, two things happened: the first documentable supernova visible with the human eye, and my birth. in other words, i was blessed by the universe itself. not many can say that

Conan (the first one).

Honestly, I have no idea why this film is hailed as one of the greatest films ever (at least in the fantasy genre). Everything about this film was very cheaply made and campy. Arnold as Conan was a joke (thank God he learned how to act later in life), the fight scenes were atrociously bad (I even laughed at them), and the utter lack of dialogue made what little story there was very hard to become invested in.

The score, while good, didn't blow me away, either. I might change my mind after I've listened to it a couple times on its own, though.

Overall: 5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayEdwards View Post
    Conan (the first one).

Honestly, I have no idea why this film is hailed as one of the greatest films ever (at least in the fantasy genre). Everything about this film was very cheaply made and campy. Arnold as Conan was a joke (thank God he learned how to act later in life), the fight scenes were atrociously bad (I even laughed at them), and the utter lack of dialogue made what little story there was very hard to become invested in.

The score, while good, didn't blow me away, either. I might change my mind after I've listened to it a couple times on its own, though.

I disagree but to each his own I guess.

Just got done watching The Watchmen (lol at the redudancy) and I absolutely love this movie. I have never read the original Graphic Novel but this movie makes me want to get it.

Conan (the first one).

did you watch the dub? or the original with arnold speaking..... something?

The ending to it has been slightly changed (Manhattan isn't blamed for the attacks in the comic), but the film version makes a lot more sense. Other than that, it's one of the most faithful adaptions I've ever seen.

As for Conan, it's probably just a generational thing. I'm 19, so I grew up watching more modern films (to me, Lord of the Rings is the best fantasy saga, and are also some of my favorite films... period).

Im 18 and watched those movies so its not really generation its just taste I guess.

Conan (the first one).

Oh yeah, the original had lots of flaws but I still like to see it every now and then. I am a Poledouris fan and think the score stands on its own. If you don't like it you likely compairing to someone elses work which came out this year. You young whiper-snappers

Quote Originally Posted by Zoran View Post

Oh yeah, the original had lots of flaws but I still like to see it every now and then. I am a Poledouris and think the score stands on its own. If you don't like it you likely compairing to someone elses work which came out this year. You young whiper-snappers
    Probably. I've found that happen quite a bit with a lot of things (not just music). I think in a way the newer stuff might be slightly better because they've had the time to analyze those works and make them better.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by N-10_Aden View Post
    Im 18 and watched those movies so its not really generation its just taste I guess.
    Must be. Maybe it has to do with the types of films we grew up watching and became accustomed to? Perhaps you've seen more historic films than I have? I've seen maybe 20 films at most that were made before 1980.

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    Conan (the first one).

The score, while good, didn't blow me away, either.Overall: 5/10.

I've seen maybe 20 films at most that were made before 1980.

"There must be something in books, something we canít imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house... "

I know! I know! I feel so ashamed...

Probably. I've found that happen quite a bit with a lot of things (not just music). I think in a way the newer stuff might be slightly better because they've had the time to analyze those works and make them better.

----

Must be. Maybe it has to do with the types of films we grew up watching and became accustomed to? Perhaps you've seen more historic films than I have? I've seen maybe 20 films at most that were made before 1980.
    I am sure you are a lot younger than I am (like the majority on ffshrine) so your taste in movies in general would be quite different than someone that has see a few decades in film come and go. I like many films that came out before my time so there is another point in which you and I are different. Today's audience is used to white knuckled action in both the visual and story pacing departments. Show them a well crafted masterpiece from another time and the yawn and say "I could hardly keep my eyes open"...shame.

Oh, no. I'm not that sort. I hate blockbuster films that are all action/flash and no brains. I'm a story-first type of guy (as I am a writer). I will agree that most of the films produced today (and probably throughout the history of film) are absolute garbage.

Films of the past face a different challenge: the evolution of style. Many films (like Conan or Superman: The Movie) have not dated well. Films that feature big effects are usually more prone to this, given the nature of technology. The nature of what a film is or meant to be has even changed drastically since their inception. Just as the styles of music and fashion change and evolve, tastes in film and storytelling do, as well.

My gripes with Conan were:

- little-to-no story; the lack of dialogue certainly didn't help (silence and no dialogue is good if the story is strong)
    - bad acting
    - shoddy FX/acting
    - would jump from somber drama to excessive violence to almost slapstick comedy

Sounds like you just described the first "Evil Dead"

----

I never really liked Conan that much either.......and I grew up with it, the old codger that I am.

I can't deny the quality of the score though. Good stuff.

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    I saw Cowboys and Aliens with my bf. I thought it was a fun romp of a movie. Some of it was pretty awesome, some of it was pretty dumb, Bond wouldn't quit doin' his signature duck face, Han was all grumpy-old-guy, and the aliens were weirdly designed. I liked it. I put it the same category of romp as Fifth Element

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.] [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Kingdom of Heaven. I know it's been around for awhile, but after having a discussion with a fellow member here about the Knights Templar, so decided to finally watch it. All in all, it wasn't a bad movie (I'm a sucker for movies based on historical events, Red Cliff is another example of a movie based on historical events which I thoroughly enjoyed) and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes seeing large scale battles.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

Hip Hop That Sounds Pretty HDHipHop1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    I haven't watched a flim lately.
    Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth. - Saul Williams
    Helping the "decline" of humanity by not giving two fucks about old, European-style music. - some African
    I listen to hip-hop, so that dead white men will spin in their graves. - a degenerate African

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - better than I thought it would be. But being a Sci-fi fan I feel like it could be better/more refined than what it is... Now I'm inspired to watch the original Planet of the Apes again.

Such order in the midst of chaos makes me oozy and disoriented...

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laguu11 View Post
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - better than I thought it would be. But being a Sci-fi fan I feel like it could be better/more refined than what it is... Now I'm inspired to watch the original Planet of the Apes again.
    I watched Tim Burton's version last night and it made me want to turn off and instead watch the original.

The old one is the best.

I haven't watched any of the old films in ages, but I have a feeling I won't care for them as much as the new one. Yes, the science and character development is a bit wonky, but I just don't think I could buy seeing actors in monkey suits talking.

The version presented in Rise is so much more plausible and ingenious. The old ones are just too dated at this point.

Bakuretsu Hunter Chocolate Misu's Avatar
    The last movie I kinda watched was the tv edit of Watchmen the other day.......... Now my bf saw it in the theater without me because there's a lot in there I didn't want to see and I always said I would maybe watch the tv edit........... Well about a half hour in my bf says there's at least 20 minutes already cut......... about an hour in he said about 30 - 40 minutes cut and lines changed........ Now by this point I'm frikin' sick of the tv edit and I asked if what they cut was better than what they left in and he said ya.... so we changed the channel. Stupid TNT leaving in all the parts I DIDN'T want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Misu View Post
    The last movie I kinda watched was the tv edit of Watchmen the other day.......... Now my bf saw it in the theater without me because there's a lot in there I didn't want to see and I always said I would maybe watch the tv edit........... Well about a half hour in my bf says there's at least 20 minutes already cut......... about an hour in he said about 30 - 40 minutes cut and lines changed........ Now by this point I'm frikin' sick of the tv edit and I asked if what they cut was better than what they left in and he said ya.... so we changed the channel. Stupid TNT leaving in all the parts I DIDN'T want.
    I love how Cinemax only shows the Directors Cut edition. The only way I want to watch Watchmen (redundancy lol).

Just finished watching Batman Returns.