Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate this game????

If you have the greatest aim, keep it in your soul Almír's Avatar
    See?

CC
    You guys are taking what Revan said far too much to heart. Lightning and Cloud share a similar humorless badass persona, for lack of better terms. That's essentially what the creators were getting at. Just thought I'd pitch my two cents. Carry on.

Certainly. I only wanted to clearify the issue, (if one would grace it with such a term), after all I am allowed to disagree. It doesn't mean I'm taking it to heart, merely expressing a view. I personally wouldn't take anything Revan (or anyone else) said to heart, I'm not that sensitive.

Noli manere in memoria Galadín Nimcelithil's Avatar
    Actually I find myself agreeing with Almír too on this one. He was just making a point- That's my two cents. Don't mind me.

You know, between myself and CC this site would never have to look for donations again!

Animam sacrificare necesse est?

CC
    LOL Gala I understand Almír; I guess I was the one taking all that too seriously, lol.

You? Nah- you're a legend man. You Rock, it's not in your nature to be all up tight ^^

I guess I was the one taking all that too seriously
    Not exactly. Doesn't really matter either way.

CC
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaroval View Post
    You? Nah- you're a legend man. You Rock, it's not in your nature to be all up tight ^^
    Yeah, s'right! [Hidden link. Register to see links.] No uptightness from me! I leave that to Wedge

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Almír View Post
    The design and inspiration for Lightning may indeed be derived from Cloud (as previously stated in the damn link). However the storyline alone exploited some major differences between the two. Cloud avoided conflict and tried to foist the responsibility else where. Lightning on the other hand was the complete opposite. There were also major differences between the way they treated their allies.
    That's your opinion (as well as it seems for Vrykolas, CC and Galaroval), however I don't see it that way. True they treated their allies differently and had different views on conflict and responsibility, however the similarities to both Cloud and Lightning are there. When you get right down to the core of both characters, they are more or less the same.

For more information play the game to the end this time before posting.
    After having tried to play FFXIII three times (with the last getting up to Chapter Nine for the record) and being unable to due to the fact the game has many flaws (Now I don't agree with many reviewers at all... however happen I agree completely with what Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw (which is rare for me to agree with ANY reviewer at all, as I prefer to play the game in question myself and form my own opinion of it, instead of reading/listening to a reviewers biased/unbiased opinion) said in his review of FFXIII on [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. I have no intention of playing a 13 chapter game for however long it takes to get to the 11th Chapter where the story supposedly 'picks up', just so I can post in this thread. I have played FFXIII and don't like it one bit, and I have my opinion on the game and it's characters. As this is a forum where one can post their opinions, I will post my opinion about this game. Don't like that? Too damn bad Almir. Think "I'm taking this to heart"? Not really but whatever. Think what you all want to think, doesn't matter to me.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

CC
    Well, my opinion is always subject to change It seems like Lightning could resemble Cloud or Squall. They all have the same overall solemn demeanor (that's the main similarity) they all like to let their weapon do the talking for them, and they all enter battle straight as an arrow without a lot of room left for emotion. Deep down, they care about their comrades; they've just been broken by a lot of past turmoil in their lives. As for FFXIII, it certainly isn't a game for everyone. I'll be the first to say I do enjoy it, but I would not call it my favorite of the series by far. The music is better than I expected (Masashi Hamauzu is not the sole composer, but the lack of Nobuo Uematsu certainly does it some serious injustice) and the story really only seems to make as much sense as SE wanted it to (don't quote me on that, I'm only about nine hours in) but every game that came before it has outdone it in almost every way. Its merits warrant one playthrough for me, but I don't see any replays in the future.

As this is a forum where one can post their opinions, I will post my opinion about this game. Don't like that? Too damn bad Almir. Think "I'm taking this to heart"? Not really but whatever. Think what you all want to think, doesn't matter to me.
    Y'know, it's funny. But... I don't think that Almír had any objection at all about you expressing your opinion on this matter. Neither do I or anyone else. So no need to be defensive about it. Chill.

But you're overlooking the fact that to truely have a full opinion on anything in life, one should know about it in its entirity. My point is that to not play a game to its full and proper ending and then to log on to a forum where these games are discussed and proceed to shoot the whole game out of the air and watch it crash and burn around other people's feet is not going to make you very popular on said forum. Maybe that dosn't matter to you. My advice: play FF13...to the end...and then you can draw your conclusions after that. It might just get better after Chapter 11, you never know.

Oh, and a word of advice...try not to let Almír get under your skin, ok? You might look bad.
    Ah Vienna...

But you're overlooking the fact that to truely have a full opinion on anything in life, one should know about it in its entirity. My point is that to not play a game to its full and proper ending and then to log on to a forum where these games are discussed and proceed to shoot the whole game out of the air and watch it crash and burn around other people's feet is not going to make you very popular on said forum. Maybe that dosn't matter to you. My advice: play FF13...to the end...and then you can draw your conclusions after that. It might just get better after Chapter 11, you never know.
    Quality post. You should post here more often. Might knock some sense into a dying thread.

Think "I'm taking this to heart"?
    Revan, maybe you should sit down before you hurt yourself.
    And get off your high horse, I don't recall accusing you of 'taking it to heart' at all. Read back a post or two and get your facts right before you start slinging your weight around.

Too damn bad Almir. Think "I'm taking this to heart"? Not really but whatever
    Wha's the problem man? Lighten up for god's sake.

Darkest Gunblade has the right of it. Conceed the point.

Grand Shriner
    Steady on, now. Rev's entitled to his opinion, same as we are. He hasn't got to concede anything, if he's not convinced.

Besides, Lightning's development on a personal level is pretty much wrapped up by the end of Parumpolum in Chapter... 6, i think. The latter half of the game emphasises the team, rather than individual characters. I agree that there are many issues you need to play the whole game to have a proper opinion about, but for this specific detail (how similar Lightning and Cloud are), that only really requires you to see how she is during the early chapters.

Anyway, comparing the two because they are solemn and 'action speaks louder than words' characters is unsound, IMO. They share that trait with dozens of equally laconic JRPG main heroes. Squall from FF8, Kaim Argonar from Lost Odyssey, to name but two (though there are legions more). And I would also argue that Lightning is more like Squall than Cloud.

Cloud's macho posturing is completely unlike Lightning. He enjoys irritating people like Barret and he likes how strong he is, Lightning just gets on with things and doesn't care what other people think about her.

Steady on, now. Rev's entitled to his opinion, same as we are. He hasn't got to concede anything, if he's not convinced.
    Like Darkest Gunblade previously stated:

But you're overlooking the fact that to truely have a full opinion on anything in life, one should know about it in its entirity.
    Sine Rev hasn't taken the time to do this (he has already admitted himself that he has never finished the game), I can't see how he could give a full educated opinion.
    Omnia mala terra excitabat

This is a lengthy post in response to a few posts directed at myself. To the Mods/Admins, I apologise, but felt the need to post this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkest Gunblade View Post
    Y'know, it's funny. But... I don't think that Almír had any objection at all about you expressing your opinion on this matter. Neither do I or anyone else. So no need to be defensive about it. Chill.
    If I wanted to be defensive, crude or downright offensive in my posts etc about this, I'd do more than what I've done so far. Point of fact, that this whole incident happened due to a post Almir made on the previous page:

Do you by chance have any facts to back up that theory- or did you, like so many previously, pluck that randomly from your head?

That last part wasn't called for, yet he felt the need to end his post with a insult. Having been a member here for as long as I have, seeing posts like the above does annoy me as it wasn't needed.

But you're overlooking the fact that to truely have a full opinion on anything in life, one should know about it in its entirity. My point is that to not play a game to its full and proper ending and then to log on to a forum where these games are discussed and proceed to shoot the whole game out of the air and watch it crash and burn around other people's feet is not going to make you very popular on said forum. Maybe that dosn't matter to you.
    Once again, I've seen posts similar to the above here over the years, stating the same as you have (more or less), yet that doesn't change the fact that there are others who disagree with your opinion and they are entitled to voice it however they see fit.

My advice: play FF13...to the end...and then you can draw your conclusions after that. It might just get better after Chapter 11, you never know.
    No. I've spent $110AUSD for my first copy (which was loaned to a family member and returned damaged, hence the need to purchase a second copy), $80AUSD for the second copy (That was traded in at the time towards purchasing another game) and finally $10AUSD for a brand new and sealed copy, which after playing up to Chapter 9, I couldn't play anymore due to reasons I've stated before in this thread.

I've played every previous FF (FFI on the NES; FFIV, V, VI on the SNES; and so on) and they've all managed to garner my interest from the get go. FFXII, while having a battle system which was reminiscent of FFXI's own battle system and having it's story (with obvious references) to Star Wars, was still able to get me to play it at least twice.

XIII has failed three times to 'hook my interest', and while I haven't finished the game, I HAVE played enough of it to form my own opinion of it and therefore am allowed to express.

Oh, and a word of advice...try not to let Almír get under your skin, ok? You might look bad.
    If Almir was getting under my skin, I'd be more vocal and vehement in my responses towards him. I haven't done so... yet and to be perfectly honest, I don't care what he thinks or anyone else. If my opinion of XIII is one you (or anyone else) doesn't like/agree with, that's fine. But when someone decides to make a attack or reference against myself, my friends here or with one of my posts, I will respond.

Revan, maybe you should sit down before you hurt yourself.
    And get off your high horse, I don't recall accusing you of 'taking it to heart' at all. Read back a post or two and get your facts right before you start slinging your weight around.
    Firstly Almir, being a smart alec isn't going to endear yourself to anyone. Secondly, and I feel am I partly responsible for you and Galaroval's misunderstanding of the last few sentences in my post, in particular this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Think "I'm taking this to heart"?
    That was a play on your own words in post #153 on this page:
    Certainly. I only wanted to clearify the issue, (if one would grace it with such a term), after all I am allowed to disagree. It doesn't mean I'm taking it to heart, merely expressing a view. I personally wouldn't take anything Revan (or anyone else) said to heart, I'm not that sensitive.

With your posting specifically my name in that context, why shouldn't I use that? You've made remarks on the previous pages in response to my posts here, always in contradictory or negative tones. True, while they are your own opinion that's fine. However if my opinion is in contrast against yours, I am allowed to state as such.

So 'get off your own high horse' and ' get your facts right before you start slinging your weight around'.

Wha's the problem man? Lighten up for god's sake.
    I was just responding in a similar tone to Almir's posts, as he has to mine earlier in this thread. This is like a similar incident which occurred in another thread in the "Role Playing Games" subforum: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] topopoz made a response in that thread, after another member attempted what Almir is trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    In DH defense:
    You take DH as a troll? You didn't see anything yet... Stay a little more & then you will learn to difference who are the trolls & who aren't...
    If DH is a troll then 99.9% of the members here are trolls too. Including myself of course.
    In the meantime I'll enjoy watching this
    All of you may think I'm trolling or whatever... I have not yet begun to do so. If I did, like I said above in response to Darkest Gunblade: If I wanted to be defensive, crude or downright offensive in my posts etc about this, I'd do more than what I've done so far.

Darkest Gunblade has the right of it. Conceed the point.
    I won't as I do not agree with it, as Vrykolas stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    Just because I don't happen to agree with the general consensus that XIII is the 'greatest FF eva!!', does that give Almir or anyone else (See what I did there?) the right to respond negatively to another's post? This whole 'incident' started from Almir's post on Page 6 regarding facts regarding the 'theory' towards the similarities between Lightning and Cloud Strife. IF he had worded his post differently like say "Do you have any proof to support that?" instead of the snide comment, then this wouldn't of happened.

Sine Rev hasn't taken the time to do this (he has already admitted himself that he has never finished the game), I can't see how he could give a full educated opinion.
    So, would you apply that to those who reviewed FFXIII and gave it glowing reviews? Or just to the negative ones. I based my opinion on FFXIII not just on what I've played of it, but also in comparison with the other games in the series. FFXIII failed to get me interested in it enough to finish it, whereas the other FF's were able to do so. I won't go into details regarding what I (personal opinion here) consider to be flaws in FFXIII, as not only have I posted them earlier in this thread (Look for the posts yourselves, I'm not going to provide the links) but I have also added a link to a review by Zero Punctuation, which I happen to agree with completely (A rarity for me to agree with anything in a review from any game magazine/website).

This last part is not directed solely at you either Almir, but to anyone else who may have something to say in glowing terms for FFXIII. We are all entitled to our own opinions, who are you to criticize a person for having a objecting opinion to your own or others?

Now that this thread has been derailed enough, it's time it was returned back to the topic at hand.

Looks like I've missed a couple of stuff...

In addition to the Lightning/Cloud Comparison...

Maybe the original Cloud conceived by Sakaguchi and Nomura was one thing.

But people did forgot what S-E did to that character with the rest of the compliation. So that's another point to take in consideration when it comes to compare these both characters.

Maybe S-E is referencing as Lightining having the essence of the Cloud developed through all the compilation, not just the original title.

Not necesarily a female reversion, but a female character that captures that same essence.

Anyway, if you want carry on with the discussion go on. But I just wanted to add these things to take in consideration while developing your opinions people.

And to the recent Incident... Just WTF?. I'm going to defend Revan here again, because the "plucked out of your head" comment was unrequited for the discussion.
    V for Valhalla

Grand Shriner
    I think they definately set out to try and recapture some of the spirit of FF7. Strong and silent hero, fast opening (with a train as well), rebel group against a tyrannical organisation that is nevertheless beloved by the people at large etc etc.

But that's just a jumping off point - where the story and characters developed after that initial concept is unique to FF13. It isn't just a slavishly word for word, scene for scene, character for character copy. I think they just tried to identify some of the key things that drew people to FF7's story and atmosphere, and tried to tap into that where they could.

And at the risk of simply repeating what I said about completing the game, for this specific issue (comparisons of Cloud and Lightning), you don't need to play the whole game, because Lightning's character is 'finished' in terms of her character development by the mid point. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, or that she doesn 't do anything later on, just that you have all you need to know to understand who the character is and what she is like by that point.

Her involvement in the later chapters sees her become the party's Sergeant Major. She doesn't really make the decisions on what they should do (Snow and Hope handle that), her role being more to just keep the party moving along once the decision about what to do next has been made. She keeps them focused on the task at hand, and leads the charge into combat.

So she goes from being a loner on a kind of death wish kamikaze run, to regaining her former status as a professional soldier. But like I say, that transformation is complete by the start of the Palamecia, really.

I would just like to say a few words to explain and settle this 'incident'.

Firstly Almir, being a smart alec isn't going to endear yourself to anyone.
    To quote your own words Revan:

If I wanted to be defensive, crude or downright offensive in my posts etc about this, I'd do more than what I've done so far.

As for why I said this:

pluck that randomly from your head?
    It was in response to the many times that people complain or make statements about games without backing it up with facts or stating what they would find to be a better alternative to what they perceive to be the problem.
    In terms of the statement being insulting: I would say that you are being sensitive. It isn't what one would call majorly offensive. It certainly doesn't warrent that much fuss. I've seen other people here say much worse than that and get away with it.

If you have any more problems with what I've said/ what I may say in the future, just PM me instead of derailing a topic.

You've said what you had to say and I've had mine. As far as I'm concerned, this 'recent incident' is at a close.

Now for a small observation.

So, would you apply that to those who reviewed FFXIII and gave it glowing reviews?
    Darkest Gunblade's point was this:

My advice: play FF13...to the end...and then you can draw your conclusions after that.
    If you give something a glowing review then that would generally imply that you like it? If you like something enough to give it a good review then why wouldn't you have FINISHED the game?

It was in response to the many times that people complain or make statements about games without backing it up with facts or stating what they would find to be a better alternative to what they perceive to be the problem.
    Just because I haven't finished playing FFXIII all the way to the end, doesn't mean that my own observation and opinion of it, isn't worthwhile. Follow that logic, then all game reviewers for magazines and websites can't provide a adequate review of any game at all (Which I do tend to believe but whatever). All of my statements about why I dislike this game are from my own observations and from what I've experienced myself. Why should I play a game which I don't like, all the way to the end, just to say "Why yes, I've finished the game and I hated every minute of it?" Have better things to spend my time and money on thank you.

In terms of the statement being insulting: I would say that you are being sensitive. It isn't what one would call majorly offensive. It certainly doesn't warrent that much fuss. I've seen other people here say much worse than that and get away with it.
    You've been negative to almost every one of my posts in this thread... and as a accumulative effect, has annoyed me. Hence my response so far.

If you have any more problems with what I've said/ what I may say in the future, just PM me instead of derailing a topic.
    Not going to bother PMing you. Also, it wasn't just myself who derailed this thread, though I do take a share in responsibility for it doing so. You must accept some of the blame as well Almir.

You've said what you had to say and I've had mine. As far as I'm concerned, this 'recent incident' is at a close.
    Fine with me.

If you give something a glowing review then that would generally imply that you like it? If you like something enough to give it a good review then why wouldn't you have FINISHED the game?
    Because the majority of game reviewers don't have the time to devote to playing a game for 100% completetion due to deadlines and other games to go through. To expect one to do so, is foolish. However you are right, if a person does like a game enough to give it a 'glowing review' then they should've finished it. I doubt though that many professional reviewers (who review games for a living) have the time, energy or patience to play a game they are reviewing all the way to the end, when they undoubtedly have other commitments to attend to. On the otherhand though, if a person doesn't like the game, do you truly expect them to play it all the way to the end, hating it while they are playing and then expect them to say it's a great game? Of course not.

Everyone has their own opinion about every game/movie/book/whatever... if everyone's opinion was the same, then the world would be a boring place not worthy to be sucking air (Like what happened to the planet Miranda in Serenity). In closing this whole 'incident'... you Almir are entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine and everyone else who either responded in this thread or on this whole forum, have their own opinion and yes they are not all going to be the same. While I may disagree with your opinion (or others), that's your choice and believe it or not, I respect that. Just don't talk down to others who disagree with you.

Wow..another dustup....

Maybe I should put on my Rodney King outfit and say "Can't we all get along ?"
    rotfl.

I agree that a person shouldn't have to play a game to completion before they can say whether they like it or not.

They can play it for a few minutes and in my opinion that's enough.

I haven't played FFXII to the end but I feel I know enough about it to say what I think about it.

shrugs.

As for FFXIII I feel it's deficient as have been the last two numbered FF games.
    FFXIII is deficient because it's too linear, no towns, no npc interaction, inability for players to control multiple characters during battles, the chrystarium or whatever it's called doesn't match the traditional experience points or jobs methods used in previous games.I don't like the system FFXIII uses.

Of course if others like the game that's fine with me.I hope others respect people who like the game.Likewise I hope people who dislike it will respect those who feel differently.

smiles and walks away...

Grand Shriner
    (bars his exit).

That's fine, but if future FF games restore all those utterly lifeless rural hamlets, with peaceful country music that drives you completely *insane*, then I'll be holding guys like you responsible, Wolf!

(stands aside and waves him on, fixed grin in place).

I jest of course, but seriously, whilst I accept many of the criticisms that people have of FF13 (it is indeed far too linear), the lack of towns is like manna from heaven. No talking to endless numbers of NPCs who have absolutely nothing of importance to say, but who you feel obliged to speak to, just in case they decide to give you an Ultima Blade or something...

Of course if others like the game that's fine with me.I hope others respect people who like the game.Likewise I hope people who dislike it will respect those who feel differently.

smiles and walks away...
    If that doesn't diffuse the situation, nothing will. LOL.

CC
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Revan View Post
    Why should I play a game which I don't like, all the way to the end, just to say "Why yes, I've finished the game and I hated every minute of it?" Have better things to spend my time and money on thank you.
    I ROFL'd You're all right in some regard; just have fun here, guys. We don't gotta be at each other's throats

oooooo my exit got barred.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    (bars his exit).

That's fine, but if future FF games restore all those utterly lifeless rural hamlets, with peaceful country music that drives you completely *insane*, then I'll be holding guys like you responsible, Wolf!

(stands aside and waves him on, fixed grin in place).

I jest of course, but seriously, whilst I accept many of the criticisms that people have of FF13 (it is indeed far too linear), the lack of towns is like manna from heaven. No talking to endless numbers of NPCs who have absolutely nothing of importance to say, but who you feel obliged to speak to, just in case they decide to give you an Ultima Blade or something...
    Ok to blame me.I blame myself for a lot more important things, mistakes and failures I have made than just the status of a japanese video game series.
    well lets see....

FFXIII-2 will have towns because the fans complained about a lack of towns...hmmm..and FFXIII-2 will have npcs because, again the fans complained about a lack of npcs.

I guess someone at Square decided to listen to the fans' criticisms.

The lack of towns must not have been like manna from heaven but more like anthrax arriving in letters with spore dust leaking from the corners.
    rotfl...

Not worth arguing about the games.
    I do feel that the FF games have deteriorated since Sakaguichi departed and since Square became Square-Enix.Whether that merely coincidence or a causal relationship kind of thing I don't know.
    Maybe someone who worked for Square could give their opinion. Since I didn't/don't I am unsure what the cause is.

Let's just hope the future games are an improvement.