Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: suggested uploading sites & related discussion

Quote Originally Posted by denkigrve View Post
    Wait... so the government cracking down on something that's illegal to begin with is a dictatorship?
    It's infringing on our rights so yes. Although I guess we don't have any rights now that we live in a dictatorship...

Wait... so the government cracking down on something that's illegal to begin with is a dictatorship?
    Personally, i don't think so... Still, i can't help but feeling pissed about the whole situation: One huge site becomes the Tango of the "Tango down" sentence... others wipe out their sharing functionality (Loads of laughs at the "share this page with your friends/on forums" still on FileServe)... When all there was to do, in my opinion, is closing make-money features [now... seriously, if you try to make money by sharing copyrighted material you must want either a lot of trouble or getting your ass royally kicked] and comply with takedown requests, as usual....

Ok, probably i've went off-topic, sorry... What i wanted to say was: why are you allowing a government to scare you THAT much? Where were you, as a file-hoster manager... or those who take care of DMCA takedown requests... when the users uploaded such content and it got reported? Some of them were even using complete movies/album/artist names... ! It's your fault for not doing something sooner, file-sharing isn't illegal... and those folks who purchased or had legit-premium accounts deserve to use the service they paid for, or at least get a refund.
    What was that?
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]|[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

So long as file hosting sites are not directly profiting off illegal uploads like MU appears to have been, then they should be fine. Rapidshare and Mediafire are not worried about it at all. Some sites that have revoked the ability to upload, download or both are acting very, very suspiciously.
    This is my sessions Wishlist:

-Star Wars Prequels
    -The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    -Digimon: The Movie (Harpaz/Plessner)
    -Harry Potter sessions (Williams and Hooper)
    -African Cats (Hooper)

PLEASE SUPPORT COMPOSERS BY BUYING THE OFFICIAL OSTS.

Quote Originally Posted by ggctuk2005 View Post
    So long as file hosting sites are not directly profiting off illegal uploads like MU appears to have been, then they should be fine. Rapidshare and Mediafire are not worried about it at all. Some sites that have revoked the ability to upload, download or both are acting very, very suspiciously.
    Well, i think they're still making some kind of profit, unwillingly... Just look at the ad-filled download link pages of MediaFire, such stuff is there to help them stay online and improve the servers... Or even RapidShare with its RapidCoins that give you premium privileges... They could still be in for a lot of trouble. The infringing user, somewhat ironically, should be the one to risk less [as long as he/she's not making money out of it through stuff like the make-money program previously available on FileServe... Or selling download links].

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimatePaladin View Post
    It's infringing on our rights so yes. Although I guess we don't have any rights now that we live in a dictatorship...
    Please list, in detail, the rights that are being infringed upon but preventing you from stealing other peoples content.

Please list, in detail, the rights that are being infringed upon but preventing you from stealing other peoples content?
    On MU there wasn't only illegal content, but also people who had legit files and legit premium accounts... With what the government has done, such honest people got screwed, too... They no longer have the right to share or access their files. Almost the same could be said about FileServe/FileSonic.

Onion Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Scott Kennedy View Post
    Well, i think they're still making some kind of profit, unwillingly... Just look at the ad-filled download link pages of MediaFire, such stuff is there to help them stay online and improve the servers... Or even RapidShare with its RapidCoins that give you premium privileges... They could still be in for a lot of trouble. The infringing user, somewhat ironically, should be the one to risk less [as long as he/she's not making money out of it through stuff like the make-money program previously available on FileServe... Or selling download links].
    Leon, your other post was pretty smart as well. It's unfortunate that the laws are written as they are. The content isn't owned by us when we buy it. The content creators give us permission to use it. At least that's how it works in the US. It's how the laws are written, and if we want them changed we need to vote for people that will make those changes. I'd personally rather actually "OWN" the media I purchase. I don't like that I don't legally own it according to the laws and TOS that is part of the contract you sign when you purchase music, movies etc.

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

You're totally right about honest people getting screwed, but the majority of their usage was for piracy. Which is a shame. It was pretty embarrassing to see the ad of music artists talking about using megaupload when their content was being stolen using that very same service. I'm hoping as part of this shutdown that after account investigations, the honest users money is returned to them out of the company assets. They do deserve compensation for the money they have lost.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Whoa. Apparently the quotes got screwed up when my login cookie got removed. Sorry for the confusing double posts.

Leon, your other post was pretty smart as well. It's unfortunate that the laws are written as they are. The content isn't owned by us when we buy it. The content creators give us permission to use it. At least that's how it works in the US. It's how the laws are written, and if we want them changed we need to vote for people that will make those changes. I'd personally rather actually "OWN" the media I purchase. I don't like that I don't legally own it according to the laws and TOS that is part of the contract you sign when you purchase music, movies etc.
    It works like that pretty much everywhere, when we buy someone's else creation... we just purchase the right to use it, make a backup copy to keep to ourselves as long as we own the item and, ultimately, something about fair-use which i honestly couldn't understand to date.

Actually, i've just thought of something: in the Terms of Service of file-hosting websites there's usually a point or two about the user accepting the service as it is, declining company's responsibility for possible loss of data, or refund of premium accounts which might not be provided.

Law needs to change, and get accustomed to internet, a media that it fails to cover.

Onion Kid
    It works like that pretty much everywhere, when we buy someone's else creation... we just purchase the right to use it, make a backup copy to keep to ourselves as long as we own the item and, ultimately, something about fair-use which i honestly couldn't understand to date.

Actually, i've just thought of something: in the Terms of Service of file-hosting websites there's usually a point or two about the user accepting the service as it is, declining company's responsibility for possible loss of data, or refund of premium accounts which you might not get.
    lol Yeah fair use is so grey it's not even funny. I think it's a "we're going for the benefit of the doubt you'll do the right thing" type of legal agreement.

I wouldn't doubt that's in there, and it's sad. No responsibility for those that break the law and screw others.

Please list, in detail, the rights that are being infringed upon but preventing you from stealing other peoples content.
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment as providing a substantive due process right to privacy.

Onion Kid
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

The Supreme Court of the United States has ruled that the Fourteenth Amendment as providing a substantive due process right to privacy.
    Where does it say it's okay to steal other peoples content? I'm not finding that part... Can you point that out to me? Megaupload broke the law by encouraging piracy. They got caught doing it. Now that they have evidence, they acted. It's how they made their money. It's entire reason for the shutdown. It's not about taking things away because they can. It's about a company making profit off of illegal activities, and encouraging it. Your rights are still intact.

No responsibility for those that break the law and screw others.
    We should probably move the discussion somewhere else, 'cause it's interesting, but i'd like to say the same old excuses in defense of piracy and pirates once more :

1) It may allow you to discover something new, you like it so much that you end up supporting the content's creator legally.
    2) Sometimes those preview files on Amazon/iTunes aren't enough, and you'd like to know if the release is worth a purchase.
    3) This is an expansion of point 1, but it may allow new/underground music bands, doujinshi comics' artists, etc. to get new loyal supporters.

Illegal sharing is a kind of knowledge sharing, for the way i see it... Not entirely good, but not entirely bad, either.

Where does it say it's okay to steal other peoples content? I'm not finding that part... Can you point that out to me? Megaupload broke the law by encouraging piracy. They got caught doing it. Now that they have evidence, they acted. It's how they made their money. It's entire reason for the shutdown. It's not about taking things away because they can. It's about a company making profit off of illegal activities, and encouraging it. Your rights are still intact.
    Well now I can't watch anime anymore so they ruined my life.

Onion Kid
    We should probably move the discussion somewhere else, 'cause it's interesting, but i'd like to say the same old excuses in defense of piracy and pirates once more :

1) It may allow you to discover something new, you like it so much that you end up supporting the content's creator legally.
    2) Sometimes those preview files on Amazon/iTunes aren't enough, and you'd like to know if the release is worth a purchase.
    3) This is an expansion of point 1, but it may allow new/underground music bands, doujinshi comics' artists, etc. to get new loyal supporters.

Illegal sharing is a kind of knowledge sharing, for the way i see it... Not entirely good, but not entirely bad, either.
    I whole heatedly agree. I can see that sometimes letting someone use the whole product, holding it in their hands, leads to more sales than just seeing pictures of it.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Well now I can't watch anime anymore so they ruined my life.
    Netflix, Crunchyroll, animenewsnetwork, etc. Plenty of places allow for streaming of the content. If you REALLY like it? Go buy it. Bandai-ent is now out of the retail media business partly due to anime fans just downloading fansubs, and partly due to them not understand the market in the US and pricing content accordingly.

Even if you are 100% against piracy (unsurprisingly, very few people here are) one could argue against the MU case by virtue of the fact that all people are being punished for the actions of a subset.

Sneaking up on MU, wiping it out overnight = insanity. Businesses use MU for legitimate concerns. Users make backups on MU. I myself had server backups on MU.

Now that's all gone because the FBI wanted to make an example of MU - ostensibly because it was edging towards a legitimate business model that would have put traditional media outlets right out of business.

Even if I am a 100% legitimate user (I am not; I speak hypothetically and on behalf of the hundreds of thousands of former MU users who are) I must now face the uncomfortable reality that if the company who are looking after my data do something the government don't like (and let's not forget - MU haven't had a trial yet; they've been wiped out all the same) then it's all gone and I can't do a single thing about it. Storage you cannot rely on, that is not under your control, that may evaporate at a moment's notice or go offline thanks to the actions of other people... is no storage at all. The cloud, therefore, is worthless.

Can we trust the cloud? No. Does the government / FBI give a monkey's ass about legitimate users when considering the matter of piracy? No. Have they knowingly dumped on hundreds of thousands of legitimate users in order to get their man? Yes. Are they likely to deliberately misrepresent and grossly overinflate the facts in their case in order to secure a victory? Yes.

All uncomfortable answers - whether you're a pirate, a guy who is storing his valuable family photos on MU as a cloud backup, a business who use MU to pass around files too large for email, an indie artist using MU to legally distribute his own music, or an open-source developer offering his software on MU to provide resilience and reduce bandwidth expenses - wouldn't you agree?

I am a pirate; but this action is unfair, and unprecedented to all people.

Netflix, Crunchyroll, animenewsnetwork, etc. Plenty of places allow for streaming of the content. If you REALLY like it? Go buy it. Bandai-ent is now out of the retail media business partly due to anime fans just downloading fansubs, and partly due to them not understand the market in the US and pricing content accordingly.
    Then give me the ******* money because I don't have any ******* money AT ALL.

Then give me the ******* money because I don't have any ******* money AT ALL.
    Weak argument, man. You don't need such stuff as Anime/music/or even games, you just want it. The best way to show industry that perhaps things need to change would be to not buy its products at all and leave them on the shelves, all the while not going the other way and pirate.... If you choose this road you're doing their game, 'cause they'll use piracy as an excuse to raise prices and find other means to fuck up customers.
    I'm perfectly aware of the studies showing how piracy doesn't really have that much of an impact on "bigger names" and some "smaller ones", but still... There are legal means to obtain such stuff (example: import) and if you are unsatisfied with them... you should let it be known, legally. With the way things have gone/are currently going/will likely go the situation will never change. We can come up with all the excuses we want for our actions, but such material should be paid in order to be enjoyed (they deserve some kind of compensation)... And if you don't have the money to buy what you want, you should either wait and save up... or give up and go on. After all we're not talking about stuff such as food, but media for our enjoyment.... The mere fact we like it doesn't mean we actually need it.

But, but, but...Leon. Leeeeoooon.... I do neeeeeeeeed it. I DO.

**needs the precious**

Whee thread's certainly derailed from its original topic but I'll make a suggestion anyways since I didn't see it mentioned on previous pages.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Chaos Raiden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kyosei View Post
    Whee thread's certainly derailed from its original topic but I'll make a suggestion anyways since I didn't see it mentioned on previous pages.

Is it fast to upload files at that site?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dual Wielder View Post
    Is it fast to upload files at that site?
    I honestly don't know as personally my own upload speed is crap. I was more suggesting it based on the generous uploading options and space it provides for free users.
    Chaos Raiden likes this.

Multiupload and embedupload.

Warez-BB forum had a good list of filehosts that are still around too. I'll try to find it and post it when I can.

Multiupload
    Is now useless as they no longer upload to their servers. You're better off uploading direct to places like MediaFire.

Quote Originally Posted by kyosei View Post
    I honestly don't know as personally my own upload speed is crap. I was more suggesting it based on the generous uploading options and space it provides for free users.
    All right, thanks.

My files at Mediafire are still not there. I guess my 40 GB worth of files are gone now.

Here's a list of filehosts I found at the Warez-BB forum. I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS. ALL CREDIT GOES TO booternet FROM THE WAREZ-BB FORUM. Use it however you guys want to.

extremly fast host

good host but they are temporarily allowing 300mb max upload as adding new servers.

only allows 200mb per file upload but its something.

pretty good host if your premium user as the uploader downloads speeds pretty good also.

5gb max file a time download speeds really good from the creators of thepiratebay.

1gb upload file max a time for free members premium get to upload much bigger and access to ftp uploading and much more.

11. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

UPDATE: Found another one from another user on the Warez-BB forum.
    Chaos Raiden and myalt22 like this.