Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: The Legend of Zelda 25h Anniversary Symphony recordings

Onion Kid

The Legend of Zelda 25h Anniversary Symphony recordings

I went to the concert Friday night, and decided to record it with my iPhone via the voice memo app. I wasn't expecting good quality, but it didn't come out too bad (aside from a person coughing everying five minutes... darn him!). I broke it down into tracks and uploaded two versions; one with the introductions and one without. I also uploaded a high quality scan of the program.

Track List (without introductions):

1. Hyrule Castle Theme - 2:15
    2. Princess Zelda's Theme - 2:35
    3. The Wind Waker Symphonic Movement - 10:40
    4. Ocarina Melody Suite - 9:10
    5. Boss Battle Medley - 6:25
    6. Kakariko Village - 2:55
    7. The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley - 8:15
    8. Ganondorf's Theme - 4:40
    9. The Legend of Zelda - Selected Shorts Suite - 3:55
    10. Gerudo Valley - 3:45
    11. Hyrule Field from Ocarina of Time - 2:40
    12. Great Fairy's Fountain Theme - 2:58
    13. Twilight Princess Symphonic Movement - 10:43
    14. The Legend of Zelda Main Theme Medley - 4:35
    15. Grandma's Theme from The Wind Waker (Performed by Koji Kondo) - 3:00
    16. Skyward Sword Main Theme - 2:20

Total Time: 1:20:52

Download for only music:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Download for music and introductions/speeches:

Download for hi-res program pictures:

And a mini-review:

It started out with Eiji Aonuma and Bill Trinen on stage, welcoming everyone (Bill was translating for Aonuma). It was great seeing them in person! I had only seen Aonuma in pictures and Bill in E3 videos. Unfortunately, Miyamoto wasn't there. I had a feeling he wouldn't be, but I still would have liked to have seen my idol in person!

Aonuma told us that they added some videos to go along with the orchestra. The pieces that did have the videos were very nice, but there were only about 5 or 6 songs out of the 15 that actually had video, which was disappointing (but I didn't come for the videos!) I think it was definitely a glaring ommision to not have any video during the final song (Zelda's Main Theme). I felt they should have played at least a few short clips from all the games to tie in the whole 25th anniversary feel, but maybe they'll do that for the concerts next year when they've had more time to prepare.

I think my favorite pieces of the night were the Wind Waker Movement, the 25th Annivesary Medley, and the Gerudo Valley piece. I loved hearing music from Wind Waker (probably my favorite game) and Spirit Tracks (love the main theme!). Gerudo Valley was extremely well done. There was lots of cheering going on too (for example, during the 25th Anniversary Medley, everyone was cheering when the Dark World theme from ALttP started playing with video up on the screen). I loved the energy in the crowd!

The Boss Battle song was awesome. If you listen to the recording, the point where people start cheering is when the they show the battles with Dark Link (OoT), Cragma (ST), and Fyrus (TP). Also, it includes the music from the battle with Molgera from Wind Waker (my favorite boss battle theme!)

The Ocarina Melody songs were very nice. They played all of the ocarina songs from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. They went through section by section of the orchestra for different songs, which was a cool thing to do.

The Gerudo Valley piece was absolutely fantastic. Hearing it performed with a full orchestra made me like the song ten times more than I already did. Loved the arrangement.

At the end, they brought out Koji Kondo! He's created so much great music, and it was fantastic to see him in person. He performed Grandma's Theme from the Wind Waker on the piano, which was a nice treat, and also gave a little speech in English (not an easy thing to do I imagine).

Lastly, they gave us a glimpse of Skyward Sword and performed the main theme. The video they showed was the harp trailer that was released online the same day. That was a fitting trailer to play, since they had two harps playing when the harp was shown on screen and the focus was on the music.

All in all, a terrific concert! I was dissapointed with the severe lack of Zelda II and Link's Awakening music though (only a very brief shot of Zelda II in a video, and nothing at all for Link's Awakening. I was hoping to hear the Wind Fish song in the shorts piece, but no such luck). Also, some parts were not as well done as I had been anticipating. There were a few hiccups here and there with the orchestra and the audio/video equipment, but it didn't detract from the experience too much. Also, all videos of OoT were actually OoT 3D. I know it looks nicer, but it detracted from the nostalgia factor a little.

Hope you enjoy the music as much as I did! I'm looking forward to the next round of concerts next year!
    Tletl, , arthounder and 1 others like this.

Thank you!

Wish I'd seen you there, haha! Great concert, great review. Glad someone else recorded it, this'll tide me over until the soundtrack release!

loves orchestral music klnerfan's Avatar
    THANK YOU

Music of the day: [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (OST release on Oct, 22)

thanks for this, really appreciate your efforts!
    "Always do your best for your friends."

Ongoing Score Editing projects:
    Shuki Levy - Silver Surfer: The Animated Series; X-men the Animated Series; Spider-man the Animated Series and The Legend of Zelda Animated Series

Onion Kid
    downloading now, thanks for your efforts and I'm sure this will get me even more psyched for the official release

Obsessive Orchestral Music Maniac Doublehex's Avatar
    Thanks for this!

FYI, for artists in the mp3tag you could put down Chad Seiter, since he is the one who composed these arrangements.

( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Blog} ) ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Custom Soundtrack Covers} ) ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {Soundtrack Reviews} )
    ( [Hidden link. Register to see links.] {13th Age Campaign and Setting Resource Site} )

Grand Shriner
    Need to listen to this!! Thank you!

One question: Does anyone know when the Skyward Sword soundtrack is coming out? 'Till November, right?

No - that is not the soundtrack, but a compilation CD commemorating the 25th anniversary. We are going to have to wait on a rip, most likely.

Shriner
    Thanks!

Shriner
    Thankz! Can't wait till the official release.

Thanks for this.

I believe the CD that is bundled with the Special Edition release of Skyward Sword is the official CD for this concert... whether it was recorded separately for the CD is anyone's guess.

Grand Shriner
    thx a lot make me able to wait for the CD bundled with SS.
    I preordered SS so ill be getting the CD. ill rip it as soon as I get it in flac+cue+log

A surprisingly good concert (some arrangements by Kousuke Yamashita - thank GOD for that) utterly wrecked by a noisy, disrespectful audience.

Utterly disgraceful. A pity (and a ridiculous oversight) that this is not being performed in Japan, as I expect a Japanese audience would have behaved with the decorum and courtesy...

Despite this, the music is very good - arrangements vary in quality (Yamashita's are obviously the better ones) but are very listenable. If the audience had realised that were at a symphonic concert and not a bull fight, it could have been a very satisfying experience. Alas, this was not to be. The great unwashed have ruined art for those who truly appreciated it, yet again. Take a bow, lowest common denominator!

I agree. The music was good, but I couldn't enjoy it because everyone was hooting and hollering. I really wish they had set some rules and said for no one to cheer until after each piece was done and over with.

I'm sure that Nintendo will put out some sort of recording pressed on a CD, so no worries there.

Grand Shriner
    yeah pretty good quality except for the stupid jerks who screamed in the middle of the songs
    @ Doublehex: the recorded Cs will be rls as a bonus Cd with Skyward Sword

It's a most disturbing turn of events, isn't it? If I were conducting one of these concerts, I would make a speech at the beginning stating that noise during the music is not acceptable and that persons ignoring that rule would be removed from the hall. It's a simple enough concept - sit down, shut up, and listen to the music that you're allegedly interested in.

"WOOOOOOOOOOOO WOW OMG CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP I KNOW THAT TUNE OH WOWEEEEEEEEEE OMFG ZELDA LOL!!!!!!!!!!!" -- WHY? Yes, I know the tune too - I like the tune. That's why I sit silently and listen to it, and enjoy it - showing respect and reverence for the people who are performing it, and for the talented composers and arrangers who wrote it.

If I were conducting and the audience started that row, I'd stop, turn on the podium, take a microphone, tell them clearly and directly how GOD DAMNED RUDE they were being, request security to eject them from the building, and then restart - from the beginning - whatever piece we were playing at the time.

If I were conducting and the audience started that row, I'd stop, turn on the podium, take a microphone, tell them clearly and directly how GOD DAMNED RUDE they were being, request security to eject them from the building, and then restart - from the beginning - whatever piece we were playing at the time.
    If I was an audience member, and the conductor did that, then I would applaud.

Grand Shriner
    Tango, you've been to a concert like this one? 'cause you'd scream too. I did when I went to Video Games Live. The music is truly beautiful, but when you're there and hear it and see the vids, you just scream! It's an amazing feeling.
    Now that I've said that, I'm gonna be looking for a white van if you try to kidnap me XD, just kidding.

Also, I meant up there about the game's soundtrack, not about this one

Clovie, I went to Video Games Live a couple of years ago. I did not scream or applaud until each piece was over. It is absolutely ridicules and absurd to think it is okay for people to show disrespect like that.

Clovie: I've been to concerts immeasurably better than this one. I do not scream and yell like a common thug at concerts. I have been to concerts that literally changed my life - and I have not once found it necessary in seventeen years of concert-going to express myself whilst the music is playing. I respect the musicians and composers during the performance by keeping quiet and listening - making endless noise through the performance is just not on. When they have finished, I demonstrate my appreciation by applauding - and if particularly moved - standing and applauding.

And look out for a blue Peugeot - cos I'm a-comin' for ya.

Formerly SpikeRevell The Doctor's Avatar
    Orchestral concert: I see no reason to be rowdy and loud.

Weird Al concert: Completely different story. In fact, Al encouraged it. Most fun I've had at a concert ever, frankly.
    In my hands, I hold the ashes. In my veins, black pitch runs.

Exactly. There are some venues where it's appropriate, even expected - where the performers would worry that the audience were bored if they weren't noisy - and there are venues where it most certainly is not...

PS. Weird Al is a God.

If Weird Al is God, what does that make my friend who has met him on several occasions? Prophet?

Through all vicissitudes, the bird must escape.... HCL.'s Avatar
    Thanks for the efforts ! I was really looking forward to this. Any release date for the official CD ?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast