Thread: I Have A Google Search Hijacker

I Have A Google Search Hijacker

This crap just started today...when I click on a search result in Google I see becoolwebsearch.net in my address bar and then it redirects to different spam sites.

I have tried finding the problem and removing it with these programs:

CWshredder
    Malwarebytes
    Spybot S&D

But it still happens when googling so I tried dogpile search and it does not happen which has me thinking it might be google that is infected with a hijacker.

Please search for something in google and try a couple of the results an let me know what happens.

Thanks.

EDIT: I usually use Opera as my main browser which is what I was using when I discovered the problem. I just tried it with Firefox and NONE of the search results would open.

Nah. Google works fine. You have a hijacker. I had that problem a couple years ago and was able fix it by searching around on other engines. It took a while to get rid of, though. They're annoying fuckers.

VGM Rumble - Currently N64 soundtracks and ZELDA songs
    VGM Recommendations
    VGM Trivia
    VGM A-Z
    VGM Canon

Thanks for your reply arthur...I think I have it killed. I disabled my anti-virus and fire wall then installed Combofix which took nearly an hour but after reboot Google seems to be acting normally.

Good news. Hope it keeps working.

Onion Kid
    You're not the only one who got it today. I got it as well, same one. Thing is, I got it on my netbook, which I don't download anything to, ever!

I sent you a PM outlining every thing I did KG204.

Zak
    Its the evil overlay.xul virus. I had it for a month, tried literally everything to get rid of it. All the best malwarebytes and other virus scanners couldnt detect it, I ended up copying my appdata folder on to a memory stick and loading it on a computer with a more industrial-strength scanner, and it found it in a second.

Thanks Neg for the banner!!