Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Updated Guide for Setting Up & Ripping FLAC in EAC.

WTB: I don't know yet :( Vegeta's Avatar

Updated Guide for Setting Up & Ripping FLAC in EAC.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Settings Up EAC Guide:

Step 1: Download and install EAC
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] the installer and fire it up.

[

Eventually you'll get to a screen like this. Make sure you install AccurateRip, CDRDAO, and freedb as a bare minimum. FLAC will be useful as well if you don't have it separately installed. GD3 is only useful if you want to pay for metadata results. I assume you don't.

Step 2: Start EAC

When you first start EAC, you'll see a screen like this one. Hit "Cancel". Next, put a popular CD into your drive, preferably not one that was recently released (a few months old at least). You'll see a window like the one below appear. If you have an older version of EAC or dBpoweramp installed, it's likely AccurateRip was already configured, and this may not appear.

Hit Configure. It may take a few minutes. Hit "Ok" afterward. Once again, if you have an older version of EAC or dBpoweramp installed, it's likely AccurateRip was already configured, and this may not appear.

Step 3: EAC Options
    All of the options dialogs can be found from the EAC menu at the top of the screen.

Start with EAC Options. Any tabs not pictured are completely optional settings, or are irrelevant to ripping.

Make sure you set the green highlighted settings as shown. The rest is optional, choose as you will. Locking the drive tray during extraction isn't a bad idea though.

These settings are pretty much all optional and self explanatory. I'd recommend using Alternate CD play routines and disabling autostart though.

The "Create log files always in english language" is very important for our international users. This will let you keep EAC's language as your native one, but write the log file in English, allowing it to pass our logchecker without needing to be rescored manually.

If your drive is capable of reading UPC/ISRC codes and CD-Text (you can only really figure this out by trial and error), you're welcome to keep the top two options checked. Otherwise, uncheck them.

Other than that, these settings are pretty much ideal. I wouldn't recommend using more than 1 compressor thread even if you have a multicore computer. It doesn't take very long compared to the track extraction anyway. Note that in tests run by punkmeup, disabling the queue of external compressors in the background fixed an issue where EAC was generating WAV files instead of FLAC, so I've made that a required option. It should have no bearing on the rip quality. If rip queueing works for you (it does for me), feel free to leave it enabled.

Friends don't let friends normalize their EAC rips. Don't ever do it. It will instantly be given a 0% by the logchecker.

This is the proper way to name tracks. The only difference acceptable here would be perhaps %tracknr2%. %title% if you prefer periods instead of dashes in the filenames. If you need track numbers to go into triple digits for some reason, use %tracknr3% instead.

Don't replace spaces by underscores. It looks ridiculous.

Step 4: Drive Options

Start by hitting "Detect Read Features...". This will actually take a few minutes. The only feature detection that actually matters is Accurate Stream. If your drive can use it, checkmark the setting (most modern drives have Accurate Stream). If it can't, don't.

Even if your drive doesn't cache audio, just do us a favour and leave that checked. Not only will it stop you from having to have each of your uploads rescored by hand, but it doesn't affect the audio quality at all. Yes, the rips take a bit longer with that setting enabled. Go watch TV or something while you wait.

Do not use C2, even if EAC thinks you can. Most drives have terrible C2 error implementation.

Please test this with a few audio CDs (not CD-Rs) to be sure you have the right read command.
    Hit "Autodetect read command now". It shouldn't take long. Leave everything else unchecked unless you're having problems. You can checkmark "CD-Text Read capable drive" if you want to test whether your drive can do it. If it can, great, otherwise, uncheck it. It's unlikely you'll ever use that feature anyway.

If you did the AccurateRip configuration at the start of this guide, the top half here will be greyed out. If not, you'll need to find your read offset correction from this list. Don't use a combined read/write offset.

If you want to figure out whether your drive needs "Overread into Lead-in and Lead-Out" checked, you can check by temporarily unchecking "Use AccurateRip with this drive". Stick a CD in the drive and hit "Detect read sample offset correction...". If you're just doing this for the Overread, see below:

Quote Originally Posted by blowfish.be
    Check "Overread Lead-In and Lead-Out" only if the test result says that your drive can overread from both the Lead-In and Lead-Out, or if it says Lead-Out and your offset correction is positive ,or if it says Lead-In and your offset correction is negative. Otherwise disable (uncheck) it.

Remember to check "Use AccurateRip with this drive" again once you're finished. AccurateRip is always a good idea.

Pretty much every drive should work with the settings shown. If yours stalls on detecting gaps or detects gaps that are obviously wrong (like 30 second gaps on a non-live album), try Detection method B or C. If A, B, and C all fail, you can switch "Secure" to "Accurate" and try again.

Step 5: Metadata Options

Here's where you pick your metadata provider. If you did install GD3, it'll be in the list. You can only rip 10 discs before you have to pay for a subscription though. Otherwise, you have a choice between the freedb plugin and EAC's native freedb support. I'm not really sure what the big difference is, I'm guessing it's the cover+lyrics. Anyway, change those settings above if you wish.

If you use EAC's native freedb instead, the settings should look like this. Make sure you put an email at the top, it doesn't need to be real. Hit "Get active freedb server list". Then checkmark the last option.

Step 6: Compression Options

Set up this tab exactly as shown. You'll have to browse to the path where you have flac.exe, if you installed it with EAC it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\FLAC\flac.exe. If you installed it separately it's wherever you installed it. The bitrate and high/low quality have no effect on the rip.

The commandline parameters have changed in this version, so this will look new to most of you. The commandline recommended for optimal completeness is this:

-8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

It takes no extra effort on your part, just copy and paste that into the additional commandline options and you're done.

Note: the %comment% function is currently broken (it returns the track CRC) so I've added a static comment containing the rip information.

Leave everything unchecked except the last option.

Congrats! EAC is now properly set up! You may wish to save your settings in a profile by hitting "New" at the bottom of the screen. However, unless you're changing your settings frequently there's no need, EAC will remember all of this on next launch regardless.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ripping Guide:

This guide was made for EAC version 1.0 beta 2 and will not completely work with earlier versions.

Step 1: Tagging

So now let's look at the main window. Be sure everything is named correctly here, as these will be the tags on your ripped files. If you're ripping a classical CD, you may wish to fill in the Composer/Performer fields. Also note: the Comment field doesn't currently work.

Drag a cover image into the EAC window. I think ~500x500 is a decent size in most cases. Google images is your friend here.

If you're ripping a box set, you may wish to use the options under the cover image, otherwise leave them all as "1".

Finally, if you want to add lyrics to the tracks, use the "Lyrics" button.

Note: I've also highlighted the "New" button where you can save your settings. This is not a necessary step each time you rip.

Step 2: Gap Detection and Cuesheets

The pre-rip stuff happens here. Make sure "Append Gaps to Previous Track (default)" is checked. It should be. Next, hit the options in the order shown.

First, hit "Detect Gaps" (F4) . This is very important, your rip will fail the logchecker if you do not complete this step. If the first track is highlighted in red, you have a hidden track. You'll want to look at [Hidden link. Register to see links.] section of the blowfish.be guide.

Next, go to Create CUE Sheet -> Multiple WAV Files With Gaps... (Noncompliant). This is usually where I create the folder for ripping as well. Do NOT rip your tracks to any directory containing your name. You should NEVER edit a log for any reason, especially now that we have checksums. A simple C:\EAC Rips is fine.

I name my directories as follows:
    Artist - Album (Year) [Format] {Extra}

So for example, with the album in the screenshots, it'd be

Sam Roberts Band - Collider (2011) [FLAC] {UMC 0252764577}

However, as long as it contains the album name and no nested folders (don't do \Artist\Album\), you're fine by the rules here.

Anyway, make the folder, save the .cue file into it. I usually just name mine Noncompliant.cue, it doesn't really matter.

A note on directory naming schemes and cuesheets:

Don't use a directory structure in your EAC filename options, unless you want to go back and edit your CUE sheet later. When you add a directory to the naming scheme, it'll put that directory path into the files. Then when someone goes to burn the files in EAC using your cuesheet, they'll be unable to do so. If you do insist on using a directory structure here, you need to go back, edit the CUE in a program such as notepad, and remove the folder name from each line.

For example, a cuesheet line should look like this:

FILE "01 Last Known Surroundings.wav" WAVE

Not like this:

FILE "C:\EAC Rips\Explosions in the Sky - Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (2011) [FLAC]\01 Last Known Surroundings.wav" WAVE

A guide for batch editing your cuesheets in this manner can be found here.

Step 3: Ripping

Finally, the rip itself! Make sure all the tracks are checkmarked in the main window unless there are some you don't want to rip.

Test & Copy -> Compressed.

Depending on your drive and whether or not the CD is scratched, this could take anywhere from ten minutes to four hours. Be patient.

Credit goes to What.CD for this guide.
    Last edited by Vegeta; 09-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Click [Hidden link. Register to see links.] to PM me to sign up for my VGM subscription based system.

MY [Hidden link. Register to see links.] IS FOR SUBSCRIBERS ONLY.. (PD FOLDER OFF LIMITS)
    Want to subscribe? Send me your MEGA account email address (not password) via PM.

LATEST UPLOAD!

THE LEGEND OF ZELDA A LINK BETWEEN WORLDS SOUND SELECTION

Thumbs up

I currently do my first EAC with my new BluRay Drive.
    I will post it tomorrow here,its a Movie Soundtrack.

Thanks for this nice easy to read Guide.
    Want a Buttload of OCH for Cheap ? With only handling 1 Account ? Click below and join premiumize.me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Executable View Post
    I currently do my first EAC with my new BluRay Drive.
    I will post it tomorrow here,its a Movie Soundtrack.

Thanks for this nice easy to read Guide.
    It isn't Social Network by any chance?

Can you update the download link? It links to 1.0beta2, but the newest version and the version you pics are showing is version 1.0beta3. Nothing big, but it lead to some minor confusions :/

Quote Originally Posted by Puea View Post
    Can you update the download link? It links to 1.0beta2, but the newest version and the version you pics are showing is version 1.0beta3. Nothing big, but it lead to some minor confusions :/
    Thanks for the heads up, I have updated the download link to the latest version (1.0beta3)

I have also updated the command-line information.

Grand Shriner
    Hi, I've made my first rip twice with your guide step by step.
    All CRC are verified between the two extraction, but I don't know why at the end of the log it doesn't give me the "tracks verified as accurate" message but instead the "None of the tracks are present in the AccurateRip database" message. Did I make an error or it's simple due the lack of info of my album from the accurate database?

excellent illustrated presentation. cyberspark's website is down, so this thread is massively appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by cacis View Post
    Hi, I've made my first rip twice with your guide step by step.
    All CRC are verified between the two extraction, but I don't know why at the end of the log it doesn't give me the "tracks verified as accurate" message but instead the "None of the tracks are present in the AccurateRip database" message. Did I make an error or it's simple due the lack of info of my album from the accurate database?
    Just simply means that the accuraterip database doesn't have that CD in it. Nothing to worry about. If you want to post your log file using the spoiler tags, I can check to see if it was ripped correctly.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by - Vegeta - View Post
    Just simply means that the accuraterip database doesn't have that CD in it. Nothing to worry about. If you want to post your log file using the spoiler tags, I can check to see if it was ripped correctly.
    thanks, here's the log

Exact Audio Copy V1.0 beta 3 from 29. August 2011

EAC extraction logfile from 14. November 2011, 19:33

Vari / Fivelandia 9

Used drive : TSSTcorpDVDWBD SH-B123L Adapter: 3 ID: 1

Read mode : Secure
    Utilize accurate stream : Yes
    Defeat audio cache : Yes
    Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction : 6
    Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Null samples used in CRC calculations : Yes
    Used interface : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
    Gap handling : Appended to previous track

Used output format : User Defined Encoder
    Selected bitrate : 1024 kBit/s
    Quality : High
    Add ID3 tag : No
    Command line compressor : C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe
    Additional command line options : -8 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "PERFORMER=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "ALBUM ARTIST=%albumartist%" -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" %source% -o %dest%

TOC of the extracted CD

Track | Start | Length | Start sector | End sector
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    1 | 0:00.33 | 3:08.25 | 33 | 14157
    2 | 3:08.58 | 2:25.10 | 14158 | 25042
    3 | 5:33.68 | 3:43.00 | 25043 | 41767
    4 | 9:16.68 | 3:28.57 | 41768 | 57424
    5 | 12:45.50 | 3:13.45 | 57425 | 71944
    6 | 15:59.20 | 3:25.68 | 71945 | 87387
    7 | 19:25.13 | 3:38.20 | 87388 | 103757
    8 | 23:03.33 | 4:14.55 | 103758 | 122862
    9 | 27:18.13 | 3:46.65 | 122863 | 139877
    10 | 31:05.03 | 3:40.30 | 139878 | 156407
    11 | 34:45.33 | 3:08.40 | 156408 | 170547
    12 | 37:53.73 | 3:16.35 | 170548 | 185282
    13 | 41:10.33 | 3:54.52 | 185283 | 202884
    14 | 45:05.10 | 3:21.23 | 202885 | 217982

Track 1

Filename C:\EAC\01 Il libro della giungla.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:02.44

Peak level 92.0 %
    Extraction speed 1.9 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 60FBAE6E
    Copy CRC 60FBAE6E
    Track not present in AccurateRip database
    Copy OK

Track 2

Filename C:\EAC\02 Ciao Sabrina.wav

Peak level 87.1 %
    Extraction speed 1.9 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 01DDD261
    Copy CRC 01DDD261
    Copy OK

Track 3

Filename C:\EAC\03 Il mistero della pietra azzurra.wav

Peak level 92.0 %
    Extraction speed 2.2 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC DEE43556
    Copy CRC DEE43556
    Copy OK

Track 4

Filename C:\EAC\04 I nonni ascoltano.wav

Peak level 87.1 %
    Extraction speed 2.4 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B8DF1377
    Copy CRC B8DF1377
    Copy OK

Track 5

Filename C:\EAC\05 Papa' Gambalunga.wav

Peak level 92.0 %
    Extraction speed 2.5 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 145A193E
    Copy CRC 145A193E
    Copy OK

Track 6

Filename C:\EAC\06 Bravo Molie're.wav

Peak level 92.0 %
    Extraction speed 2.7 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6DC3EFCF
    Copy CRC 6DC3EFCF
    Copy OK

Track 7

Filename C:\EAC\07 Quando e' in onda Bim Bum Bam.wav

Peak level 94.5 %
    Extraction speed 2.8 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 867BDFB2
    Copy CRC 867BDFB2
    Copy OK

Track 8

Filename C:\EAC\08 L'Europa siamo noi.wav

Peak level 92.0 %
    Extraction speed 3.0 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 2BE4ED77
    Copy CRC 2BE4ED77
    Copy OK

Track 9

Filename C:\EAC\09 Dolceluna.wav

Peak level 94.6 %
    Extraction speed 3.1 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 95034A95
    Copy CRC 95034A95
    Copy OK

Track 10

Filename C:\EAC\10 Luna party.wav

Peak level 91.6 %
    Extraction speed 2.5 X
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 4B5712DB
    Copy CRC 4B5712DB
    Copy OK

Track 11

Filename C:\EAC\11 Mille luci nel bosco.wav

Peak level 89.6 %
    Extraction speed 2.4 X
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 38DF4023
    Copy CRC 38DF4023
    Copy OK

Track 12

Filename C:\EAC\12 D'Artacan.wav

Peak level 76.3 %
    Extraction speed 3.4 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6A4A377B
    Copy CRC 6A4A377B
    Copy OK

Track 13

Filename C:\EAC\13 Il ritorno dei Cavalieri dello Zodiaco.wav

Peak level 66.4 %
    Extraction speed 2.7 X
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 24648EA1
    Copy CRC 24648EA1
    Copy OK

Track 14

Filename C:\EAC\14 Corre il treno di Ciao Ciao.wav

Peak level 88.9 %
    Extraction speed 3.6 X
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC AD8A285E
    Copy CRC AD8A285E
    Copy OK

None of the tracks are present in the AccurateRip database

No errors occurred

End of status report

==== Log checksum 773979D1D319A4401551C08454C931D87B68C2743687055A19 DEB023E50EE7BC ====

Hate to bump an old thread, but perhaps one of you can help me out. I updated to the new version (V1.0 beta 3) and now when I go to write a disc it gets stuck in the "Writing Lead-In" stage. I seem to remember this happening a couple years ago when I first set up EAC, but I can't remember what I changed to fix it. Like I said, everything worked fine with the earlier version, and I've kept the same read/write offsets so I'm not really sure what the issue is.
    Lossless/320MP3 Requests:

"Ragnarok Online Fan Disc Volume 3: Sound Imagination"

Quote Originally Posted by cacis View Post
    thanks, here's the log
    Checked with log score checker.. got 100% .. so it was ripped correctly.

---------- Post added at 10:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Hate to bump an old thread, but perhaps one of you can help me out. I updated to the new version (V1.0 beta 3) and now when I go to write a disc it gets stuck in the "Writing Lead-In" stage. I seem to remember this happening a couple years ago when I first set up EAC, but I can't remember what I changed to fix it. Like I said, everything worked fine with the earlier version, and I've kept the same read/write offsets so I'm not really sure what the issue is.
    You need to use an older version of EAC to burn CDs.

Grand Shriner
    Someone know how to rip a CD in Mp3 320 please?

Quote Originally Posted by sunn View Post
    this,

plus is there a way to speed up the flac?

Quote Originally Posted by sunn View Post
    Honestly, I would just convert to mp3 320 after its been ripped.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TZona View Post
    this,

plus is there a way to speed up the flac?
    Depends on cpu, and drive speed. Also speeding it up would make it more likely to come back with errors and have an incorrectly ripped disc.

Grand Shriner
    With wich converter ?
    I use Switch Sound File Converter, I don't know if it's good

dbPowerAmp is a good converter.
    gordy likes this.

I ♡ DanceDanceRevolution™ Neo_Chip's Avatar
    Thanks for this guide, I fixed my settings. Wish I'd read this first lol

Grand Shriner
    If someone needs help configuring EAC, send me a PM, and I'll be happy to help you!
    Vegeta likes this.
    Are you looking for very high quality soundtracks? Here are the essential things you have to know:
    Do you need help? Send me a PM, and I'll be happy to help you.

Grand Shriner
    strange thing guys: I've format my pc and reinstalled eac, then I've noticed that extraction speed is lower than before. I've checked with a cd I've ripped before my format and it goes only to 1/1,5X; before the format it went from a 2/5x range. What's the matter?

It might be dependent on the disc you are using. Also maybe your previous EAC settings were not the same as what was in this guide? Either way if it rips and its accurate, i wouldn't worry too much. Mine normally take an hr maybe longer to rip. That's with an i7-2600k processor.

String Cutter TheSparktank™ 2.1's Avatar
    Awesome guide!

Should also mention people to submit their rip logs to the database. This will really help future rips, whether it be your own or someone else doing a rip of the same CD. Without submitting results, people will have to really guess if they did an okay job of ripping.
    Submitting drive features and setup is also recommended.

Eventually™
    Promoting:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]: Hack3rman's Trailer Stems
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]: Calidoran's Isolated Scores

Quote Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
    Awesome guide!

Should also mention people to submit their rip logs to the database. This will really help future rips, whether it be your own or someone else doing a rip of the same CD. Without submitting results, people will have to really guess if they did an okay job of ripping.
    Submitting drive features and setup is also recommended.
    I believe cuetools can do this.. if i'm not mistaken.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by - Vegeta - View Post
    It might be dependent on the disc you are using. Also maybe your previous EAC settings were not the same as what was in this guide? Either way if it rips and its accurate, i wouldn't worry too much. Mine normally take an hr maybe longer to rip. That's with an i7-2600k processor.
    I've used your guide also before the extraction, step by step, same checked boxes that appears in your picture. I've made an extraction with the same cd (mint without scratches) and same final results, the first time it finished around 35 minutes while after reformat it finished around 1 hours and 50 minutes.
    Is there a method to increase speed?

Only thing I could think of, that was different was you had used burst mode before.'

Unless you had the same settings both times.

Grand Shriner
    but burst mode is secure?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast