Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ripping PS1 music files; I am lost.

Ripping PS1 music files; I am lost.

I tried to use PSound, but the "scan CD-ROM" option was disabled, and the only thing I could extract were the sound effects. About 1000 sound effects and dialogue. NO MUSIC.

Is there any way to make the program work, or is there another program I could use?

BTW, I used a fairly new computer running Windows 7 and the game was Spyro 1.

Self bump; I get no help here.

Just get Raziel08's "remaster." Sounds better, and saves you some trouble.
    Lossless/320MP3 Requests:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    "Ragnarok Online Fan Disc Volume 3: Sound Imagination"

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Just get Raziel08's "remaster." Sounds better, and saves you some trouble.
    It does not sound "better". Plus, I asked for help, not a redirection.

Quote Originally Posted by Despair View Post
    Gosh... I am no programmer, that is all Greek to me!

Man, I haven't used PSound in like 3 years. If I remember correctly, PSound will let you rip music from any game with a recorded WAV style OST. If it has a MIDI OST, it won't work. I could be wrong, and I don't know what kind of soundtrack is in Spyro (haven't even played it since the 90s).

Should be redbook audio.

If you seriously don't care about the quality, just line-in rip while playing the game. Otherwise I still say to grab Raziel's remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemblem View Post
    Man, I haven't used PSound in like 3 years. If I remember correctly, PSound will let you rip music from any game with a recorded WAV style OST. If it has a MIDI OST, it won't work. I could be wrong, and I don't know what kind of soundtrack is in Spyro (haven't even played it since the 90s).
    It's not MIDI, I'm sure of it.

Built Like An Ape, Has a "Thing" for Reptiles... FuzzyLizard530's Avatar
    If it's not RedBook aufio [CD Track] then it would be a format called PSF. It's more akin to a .mod file, if you're familiar with them.

Essentially, the difference would be that a .mod has embedded sound bytes which are used to make the music happen, where a .PSF file is stored in a directory with the sound library, or a .lib file. The lib file has all the sound effects [or instruments] stored within it [and possibly all the "songs", I don't remember all the details...]. So It's definitely NOT midi.

That said, it's not easy to rip most formats of game music. If a rip is available some where else in the [Hidden link. Register to see links.], you're best off just dl'ing that. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone else is trying to say...
    So.... Yeah...
    If you need me, I'll be over there....

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLizard530 View Post
    If it's not RedBook aufio [CD Track] then it would be a format called PSF. It's more akin to a .mod file, if you're familiar with them.

Essentially, the difference would be that a .mod has embedded sound bytes which are used to make the music happen, where a .PSF file is stored in a directory with the sound library, or a .lib file. The lib file has all the sound effects [or instruments] stored within it [and possibly all the "songs", I don't remember all the details...]. So It's definitely NOT midi.

That said, it's not easy to rip most formats of game music. If a rip is available some where else in the [Hidden link. Register to see links.], you're best off just dl'ing that. I'm pretty sure that's what everyone else is trying to say...
    I know that all Spyro music was composed outside the game and then put inside it (full individual .XA files). How else would you explain various cracks here and there and "full orchestra sounds that I recorded in Utah" by Stewart?

The "full orchestra sounds that I recorded in Utah" could be sampled in a .psf. as I mentioned before, a .psf uses sound samples to make the music. In fact, listening to the music they used in the video link, it sounds very much like a .psf file.

The "full orchestra sounds that I recorded in Utah" could be sampled in a .psf. as I mentioned before, a .psf uses sound samples to make the music. In fact, listening to the music they used in the video link, it sounds very much like a .psf file.
    Well, how DO you rip a .PSF file?? PSound help needed!

If you can't make sense of the info in the link despair posted, I can only tell you you're out of luck. I can't make sense of it either, so... there you go...

One thing I do know, you can't rip PSF's with PSound, you need another program called PSFLib.

This link goes a little more in depth if you want to give it a shot: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

On that note, I wish you luck!

OK, before you begin, answer the following questions:
    - Are you willing to learn a programming language?
    - Are you willing to learn assembly (specifically MIPS assembly)?
    - Are you willing to stay up to 1am on Friday/Saturday nights stepping through
    R3000 assembly?
    - Will you still be willing to rip the music if you spent two weeks doing the
    above?

If you can't make sense of the info in the link despair posted, I can only tell you you're out of luck. I can't make sense of it either, so... there you go...

One thing I do know, you can't rip PSF's with PSound, you need another program called PSFLib.

This link goes a little more in depth if you want to give it a shot: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

On that note, I wish you luck!
    OH MY GOD MY BRAIN HURTS FROM READING JUST A FRACTION OF IT!

LOL! Mine, too!

LOL! Mine, too!
    >step 1: hack certain files out of the way
    I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO HACK!

I think you need to try [Hidden link. Register to see links.], which I would have suggested earlier had I seen this thread. If it's XA audio, it can be ripped with that one way or another. Every game I've seen with XA has had the files plain to see in the directory somewhere so you shouldn't have to go rooting through a big BIN file with a hex editor or anything. I might be able to give you limited help if you're lost, but just ripping XA shouldn't require any programming skills of you.
    Relatively rare soundtracks:

Quote Originally Posted by nothingtosay View Post
    I think you need to try [Hidden link. Register to see links.], which I would have suggested earlier had I seen this thread. If it's XA audio, it can be ripped with that one way or another. Every game I've seen with XA has had the files plain to see in the directory somewhere so you shouldn't have to go rooting through a big BIN file with a hex editor or anything. I might be able to give you limited help if you're lost, but just ripping XA shouldn't require any programming skills of you.
    I dwnld'ed it, and the extension was .7z

Is that normal?

Okay, I uncompressed the program, and it runs on Windows 7.

RUNS, does not WORK.

Or maybe I just do not GET IT. It is supposed to be able to extract .XA, .PSF, and MIDI. And I have NO idea how to make it work.

I thought that program was for Nintendo DS OSTs.
    I must be thinking of something else.

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 AM ----------

I thought that program was for Nintendo DS OSTs.
    I must be thinking of something else.

Well, I could make some effort in trying to rip it myself and then walk you through it, but then I remembered I could just download the damn XAs and make no effort at bettering my abilities! Don't know who ripped it, but it was one of the good men who contribute at [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] - 267.91 MB

Well, I could make some effort in trying to rip it myself and then walk you through it, but then I remembered I could just download the damn XAs and make no effort at bettering my abilities! Don't know who ripped it, but it was one of the good men who contribute at [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] - 267.91 MB
    I have a Mac-compatible program that plays and converts VG music files (like .PSF), but not .XA.

F***!

Does anyone know of a program that converts .XA to .WAV?

Yeah, just get [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (you said you're running Windows 7, not Mac, right?) and then the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] component for it, extract it in the components folder in your foobar directory and you should be good to go. Just select all the XA files when they're in your playlist, right-click, choose convert, and pick WAV.

Yeah, just get [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (you said you're running Windows 7, not Mac, right?) and then the [Hidden link. Register to see links.] component for it, extract it in the components folder in your foobar directory and you should be good to go. Just select all the XA files when they're in your playlist, right-click, choose convert, and pick WAV.
    That is fine.

But are there any Mac-compatible programs out there?

BTW, off to Apple forums for an answer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast