Page 123 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2373113117118119120121122123124125126127128129133173 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 4426
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

The dullness of fools is the whetstone of the wit. impudent urinal's Avatar
    Martin O'Donnell

Michiko Naruke

Wild Arms soundtracks make me hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by impudent urinal View Post
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Faustus View Post
    That's feckin wiggins.
    Quote Originally Posted by N-10_Aden View Post
    Man fuck this piece of shit.

Stephen Rippy --- very tough decision

Michiko Naruke --- Koshiro's written some great stuff, but I think he's one of the most overrated composers in the business.

The Valis III credits I've seen are a bit ridiculous, crediting Hisao Inoue, Jun Hasebe, Shingo Murakami, Takaharu Umezu, Michiko Naruke, and Minoru Yuasa. Has it been confirmed that Naruke in fact composed most/all of it?

Michiko Naruke
    my rare game soundtracks thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    my extended game music loops thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

other great threads:

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    The Valis III credits I've seen are a bit ridiculous, crediting Hisao Inoue, Jun Hasebe, Shingo Murakami, Takaharu Umezu, Michiko Naruke, and Minoru Yuasa. Has it been confirmed that Naruke in fact composed most/all of it?
    Hisao Inoue, Jun Hasebe, and Shingo Murakami worked on the PC Engine version of Valis III and arranged those songs for guitar and piano. They're responsible for two commercial releases related to the game's music. ([Hidden link. Register to see links.]) ([Hidden link. Register to see links.])

But they didn't work on the Genesis version of the game. Those composers were Takaharu Umezu, Michiko Naruke, and Minoru Yuasa. ([Hidden link. Register to see links.])

It's difficult to find track by track credits for the soundtracks of 4th generation games and before since so few game OSTs/OSVs were released commercially (unless an interviewer got answers years after the fact, which is how I dug up some credits). I did triple-check and sometimes quadruple-check anything that went into the rumble while I added links, but I don't remember why I felt strongly that the particular musical selection in our recommendations list was by Naruke. Because accurate credits on co-composed early games weren't available, I frequently had to make an educated guess about which song sounded like the composer, so that might been my process. But I'll try to find out more information if it's out there.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently N64 soundtracks and ZELDA songs
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Stephen Rippy

Yuzo Koshiro
    - This one was very tough... Naruke is amazing. But Streets of Rage is what made me incline to Koshiro this time I guess... His music on the Ys Series is really great as well. Worth Checking that out.
    V for Valhalla

Quote Originally Posted by arthurgolden View Post
    Hisao Inoue, Jun Hasebe, and Shingo Murakami worked on the PC Engine version of Valis III and arranged those songs for guitar and piano. They're responsible for two commercial releases related to the game's music. ([Hidden link. Register to see links.]) ([Hidden link. Register to see links.])

But they didn't work on the Genesis version of the game. Those composers were Takaharu Umezu, Michiko Naruke, and Minoru Yuasa. ([Hidden link. Register to see links.])
    Thanks for all the information. It's always an adventure trying to dig up information on earlier game compositions.

I just noticed and had to ask: How on earth did Rob Hubbard not make the list for this rumble?

Hubbard was on the original list, got bumped for requests, and didn't get any support when I mentioned him as a notable leftover. I'm a fan. Unfortunately, plenty of deserving people didn't make the cut to 64. Too many to choose from.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Stephen Rippy

Michiko Naruke

Very tough choice for both...

Stephen Rippy

Yuzo Koshiro

Something to Protect feralanima's Avatar
    Martin O'Donnell

Yuzo Koshiro
    Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. -V

Sorry to be a day late. Was traveling all day yesterday. Koshiro and Naruke are tied with 4 votes apiece. I'll give it 24 more hours for a deciding vote from someone who hasn't yet voted. If none turns up, we'll go with a coin toss, as we've done in the past.

Hi again folks. Michiko Naruke (5-4) has won the tiebreaker, with Stephen Rippy (5-2) winning the other fight. I'll keep it moving up top here...

Round 1, Fight 19 // The Composers Rumble

Toshiharu Yamanishi
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

David Wise
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1, Fight 20 // The Composers Rumble

Howard Drossin

vs.

Hitoshi Sakimoto

Toshiharu Yamanishi is a mystery man. While itís often difficult to find out info on early-generation video game composers, there are many research strategies you can employ before hitting a wall, and more often than not one of them will give you a clue, which will lead to more research and more clues. Not with this guy. Yaminishi has been in the business for over 20 years and thereís barely any info out there on him. He has no social networking pages, there is only one picture of him to my knowledge, and yet he has a rabid fanbase and 53 releases to his name. His most famous works (Thunder Force III and IV) are on Technosoftís Genesis catalog and are metal through and through. But Elemental Master and Devilís Crush have stood the test of time as Genesis classics as well, and few seem to know how much he has contributed to the Atelier series, continuing his legacy.

Here are the notable soundtracks David Wise has worked on or wholly created: Wizards and Warriors I-III, R.C. Pro-Am, Marble Madness, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Solar Jetman, Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox Adventures, Itís Mr. Pants, and Viva Pinata. As a composer for Rare from 1985-2009, he has written some of the most enduring themes in video game music history, including Aquatic Ambience. Many of his works are classics of their respective consoles. And heís still going. Not bad. Arguably, he is the most important and influential western composer in all of video game music.

Howard Drossin's music has often been aggressive and rock-based, but it'd be difficult to say back in his Sonic days, when he was was Sega's music director, that he'd be doing a Splatterhouse soundtrack. Like Yamanishi, he cut his teeth on the Genesis with The Ooze, Sonic & Knuckles, and the cult classic Comix Zone. Since then, he has expanded into film and commercial music and, who say this coming?, won a Grammy in 2008 for his orchestrations on the jazz album A Tale of God's Will (A Requiem for Katrina), which served as the score to Spike Lee's award-winning Katrina documentary When the Levees Broke.

Sakimoto has forcefully staked his claim as a major composer. Perhaps no Final Fantasy soundtrack is as much a lightning rod for debate as Final Fantasy XII. Perhaps no soundtrack has been lauded more than Vagrant Story in our rumbles. Perhaps no composer, other than Sugiyama, is as adept at using an orchestra not just to add oomph to a melody, but to actually variegate it enough while adding texture and tone color in interesting ways to take the compositions to a level of extraordinary achievement.

My votes are for David Wise and Hitoshi Sakimoto.

I was the one who heavily pushed for Yamanishi to be included in the rumble and the least I can do is hand him a vote, despite being against a very worhy opponent. But I still stand by my decision to push for his inclusion despite there being very little info on him. That's because, for me, just these 4 games (Elemental Master, Thunder Force III, Thunder Force IV and Devil's Crush) are more than enough for me to consider him an elite VGM composer. That's even disregarding his many other notable works. So, Toshiharu Yamanishi for me.

As for the other, being a massive Hitoshi Sakimoto fan, my vote goes to him. I like to think he deserves it.

Edit: It only just got me wondering, but why would you say he has a rabid fanbase, Arthur? He's hardly known, as far as I can tell.

Howard Drossin

David Wise and Hitoshi Sakimoto.

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    David Wise

Hitoshi Sakimoto

I was digging a lot the music of Yamanishi, specially the last track from Atelier. But I was blown away by the versatility of David Wise.

Hitoshi Sakimoto

David Wise

Howard Drossin

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    It only just got me wondering, but why would you say he has a rabid fanbase, Arthur? He's hardly known, as far as I can tell.
    Technosoft fans. They may not know Yamanishi's name, but they know his music under the heading "Technosoft music." And the community is a decent size, as far as I can tell. I've talked to quite a few people who, if you mention Thunder Force III or IV, you'll get something like...

Thunder Force FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd call that "rabid," haha.

We're back. We're rocking. One more day for voting. Tomorrow I'll update with a new fight.

Something to Protect feralanima's Avatar
    David Wise and Hitoshi Sakimoto

We're back. We're rocking. One more day for voting. Tomorrow I'll update with a new fight.
    Mike Tyson vs. an anvil?

Unstoppable forces vs. immovable objects? We got it below. Forum downtime can't stop the rumble. David Wise (6-1) and Hitoshi Sakimoto (6-2) are progressing on, and so are we...

Round 1, Fight 21 // The Composers Rumble

Jack Wall

vs.

Kow Otani

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 1, Fight 22 // The Composers Rumble

Robin Beanland

vs.

Shogo Sakai

Jack Wall has become better known in the last few years as the conductor of Video Games Live and the composer behind Mass Effect, but before he was the understated guy standing next to Tommy Tallarico (a role most people would play in that situation), he was an award-winning industry leader breathing new life into the Myst franchise. Myst III's soundtrack garnered him a nomination for best original soundtrack from the AIAS, but Myst IV's soundtrack won him three Game Audio Network Guild awards, including Music of the Year, and three other nominations. Since then, Rise of the Kasai, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 2 have all been frequently nominated for awards, with Jade Empire and Mass Effect winning best soundtrack trophies.

Speaking of awards, Kow Otani has won a few. You may have heard of his soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus, which is top-five in the best vgm of all time in my opinion. But the majority of his career has been spent composing for films and anime. I've been able to listen to some of his film score for Shakugan no Shana Final, which has shades of the orchestration and budget of Colossus. But it boggles my mind that the only video game project he's been tapped for since Colossus is Sengoku Basara 3, on which he is a small contributor. If you're a fan, I'd recommend Sky Odyssey as maybe being the most similar to Colossus; the rest of his vgm is more conventional. Fingers crossed he does more.

Robin Beanland is easy to think of as David Wiseís sidekick, since they worked at Rare together for so long with Wise the lead composer on their shared works. But The Bean is distinct for several reasons, not the least of which being his humor. As a composer and writer involved with Conker, that's obvious. But going back to, say, his elevator music for GoldenEye or the voice samples on Killer Cuts, he added touches that enlivened the entire experience of his games. I can't help but compare his lack of recognition in the video game world to the plight of comedic actors at the Oscars, where they're routinely dismissed in favor of dramatic actors. Wise did Aquatic Ambience, which is brilliant, but does it require more skill to evince complex, melancholic emotions than to make someone laugh out loud? I really don't think so.

Although I already knew and liked the Robocop and Werewolf soundtracks, Shogo Sakai didnít land on my radar until Mother 3, an absolutely top-tier soundtrack combining original compositions with the work of Erik Satie. The end-result successfully provided an emotional framework for writer Shigesato Itoiís ambitious and delicate story about a family coping with tragedy, consumerism, and--of course--pigs. Tinged with Samuel Beckettís influence, the story shows more pathos and attention to narrative than Beckettís idea-first tableaus and stands among the best scripts in video game history. The confidently-deployed moments involving [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.] bring together everything that made Earthbound a classic and, at times, even improve on it. I liked this game long before I got to the scene with Satieís [Hidden link. Register to see links.] playing in the background. Then I was in love. If you havenít played Mother 3, itís well worth it.

My votes are for Kow Otani and Shogo Sakai.

Jack Wall

Robin Beanland

I might be the only one around here who remembers Nick Arcade, but I'll post [Hidden link. Register to see links.] since I was just talking about the show a few fights ago. The article discusses how some of the technology used in Iron Man 2 overlaps with what they were doing on Nick Arcade all the way back in 1992.