Page 103 of 177 FirstFirst ... 35393979899100101102103104105106107108109113153 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 4407
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy IX

I find it funny that both of the games in the 2nd bracket are my least favorites in series I otherwise enjoy. While I am well aware that the entire SH series started with 1 and my beloved Silent Hills 2 and 3 wouldn't exist without it, I still find the original rather weak and I while I don't say the same for the soundtrack, I don't enjoy it as much as later installments, which is why I decided to vote FFIX over it. Now let it be said that I despise that one as game, but it's arguably Uematsu's best score.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    I find it funny that both of the games in the 2nd bracket are my least favorites in series I otherwise enjoy. While I am well aware that the entire SH series started with 1 and my beloved Silent Hills 2 and 3 wouldn't exist without it, I still find the original rather weak and I while I don't say the same for the soundtrack, I don't enjoy it as much as later installments, which is why I decided to vote FFIX over it. Now let it be said that I despise that one as game, but it's arguably Uematsu's best score.
    I disagree regarding FFIX... Even though I'll admit it has some superb tracks... Many many of them are weak and repetitive to the point of being annoying, just like the game itself of course. =D

SH1 is not a weak game by all means. Look at the year it was released and it's much better than 4 or the rest. It is my fauvorite SH game of course, I won't deny what's so good on SH2. But SH1 has some charm to me and does not have many facepalm moments like those found on 3, 4 or the rest of the series. Origins is one of the worst pieces of Garbage ever along with Homecoming, which is a wannabe SH2.
    V for Valhalla

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Vagrant Story

Final Fantasy IX

Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    I disagree regarding FFIX... Even though I'll admit it has some superb tracks... Many many of them are weak and repetitive to the point of being annoying, just like the game itself of course. =D
    Hahaha. I’m not a fan of FFIX either. I do like the soundtrack, though. Just not as much as VI and VIII.

Thanks to topopoz for the extra links. Vagrant Story (4-1) is moving on, as is Final Fantasy IX (4-2). Next up, the penultimate fight of the second round…

Round 2, Fight 13

Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere by Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Masaru Shiina, Koji Nakagawa, Hiroshi Okubo, Go Shiina, Kanako Kakino, and Tomoko Tatsuta (1999)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Treasures of the Deep by Tommy Tallarico (1997)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 14

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete by Noriyuki Iwadare (1999)

vs.

Chrono Cross by Yasunori Mitsuda (1999)

My votes are for Ace Combat 3 and Chrono Cross.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently N64 soundtracks and ZELDA songs
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Treasures of the Deep

Chrono Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Szczepan View Post
    Treasures of the Deep

Chrono Cross

Treasures of the Deep

Chrono Cross

Not a lot of votes this time around. Nevertheless, we’ve got two winners: Treasures of the Deep (3-1) and Chrono Cross (4-0). Next up, the final fights of Round 2…

Round 2, Fight 15

Gran Turismo by Masahiro Andoh and Isamu Ohira (1997)

vs.

Legend of Mana by Yoko Shimomura (1999)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 16

Final Fantasy VII by Nobuo Uematsu (1997)

vs.

Klonoa: Door to Phantomile by Eriko Imura, Junko Ozawa, Kanako Kokino, Hiroshi Okubo, Tetsukazu Nakanishi, Kota Takahashi, Hiromi Shibano, Tomoko Tatsuta, and Takaki Horigome (1997)

My votes are for Legend of Mana and Final Fantasy VII. The first one is tough. GT and LofM couldn't be going for more dissimilar moods. One is fast-paced and upbeat; the other is soporific and heavy. Both are well done. Both make good use of synths. Both are varied. Both come from popular games. And both stick to their genre conventions pretty closely. For me, it came down to the fact that I listen to Legend of Mana a little more often.

The second fight is easy except for the fact that I really like Klonoa and, with a lesser opponent, might have made it another round or so.

Keep in mind topopoz's extra recommendations for Gran Turismo as well:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Legend of Mana

Final Fantasy VII

Gran Turismo & Final Fantasy VII
    my rare game soundtracks thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    my extended game music loops thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

other great threads:

Legend of Mana

Final Fantasy VII

I just like Shimomura way too much. Gran Turismo's music is fantastic as well, but still. Regarding that little argument we had earlier about which game has the most composers, yeah I think found it. Super Smash Brothers Brawl had 38.

EDIT: ^^ I completely forgot about Brawl! That's gotta be the winner, as far as I know. Good call.

I'm gonna let this run another day. I know some people have been busy this whole week.

Completely off-topic: I just finished watching both seasons of Twin Peaks on Netflix streaming, and I am totally obsessed with it. If you haven't seen the show, I highly recommend checking out the first season. It's dramatic and full of twists, like a soap opera. But it's also subtle, tense, devoted to character development, and--best of all--hilarious. It's so funny I was clapping like an idiot and falling out of my chair. I now realize how many times people around me have quoted it without me knowing. You'll also see its influence on tons of other shows once you've watched it. And it doesn't hurt that nearly every woman on it is smokin' hot.

Closer to the topic: It's got good music, too, which is posted all around the Downloads forum ([Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]). Mandi even had a thread somewhere, I think, with the episodes posted for download.

Check it out.

Going down to what I listen more often...

Gran Turismo

FFVII

That ends Round 2 with Legend of Mana (3-2) and Final Fantasy VII (5-0) winning. And Legend of Mana is going right back into the fray…

Round 3, Fight 1

Chrono Cross by Yasunori Mitsuda (1999)

vs.

Legend of Mana by Yoko Shimomura (1999)

Round 3, Fight 2

Vagrant Story by Hitoshi Sakimoto (2000)

vs.

Breath of Fire IV by Yoshino Aoki (2000)

My votes are for Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story. I really like Breath of Fire IV, but Vagrant Story is a classic. Maybe Sakimoto's best.

And now I'm onto a day of reading about NFL post-lockout rumors and drama.

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story.

Easy wins for Chrono Cross (4-0) and Vagrant Story (4-0). Next up...

Round 3, Fight 3

Final Fantasy IX by Nobuo Uematsu (2000)

vs.

Metal Gear Solid by Takanari Ishiyama, Gigi Meroni, Kazuki Muraoka, Lee Jeon Myung, Hiroyuki Togo, Maki Kirioka, Rika Muranaka, and Tappi Iwase (1998)

Round 3, Fight 4

Tekken 3 by Nobuyoshi Sano, Keiichi Okabe, Hiroyuki Kawada, Minamo Takahashi, and Yu Miyake (1998)

vs.

Final Fantasy Tactics by Masaharu Iwata and Hitoshi Sakimoto (1997)

My votes are for Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Tactics

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Tactics

We've got Metal Gear Solid (3-2) and Final Fantasy Tactics (5-0) moving on. Next up...

Round 3, Fight 5

Valkyrie Profile by Motoi Sakuraba (1999)

vs.

MediEvil by Andrew Barnabas and Paul Arnold (1998)

Round 3, Fight 6

Treasures of the Deep by Tommy Tallarico (1997)

vs.

Final Fantasy VIII by Nobuo Uematsu (1999)

My votes are for Valkyrie Profile and Final Fantasy VIII. I couldn't figure out how to vote on the first one for awhile. VP and Medievil are both great. And I was tempted to vote for Medievil because it was a career piece for Barnabas (who now, sadly, does music for stuff like Animal Cops: Miami and My Brother Is a Dog). But VP is what I listen to more often between the two. The second one was easy because FFVIII is my second favorite Final Fantasy soundtrack after VI.

MediEvil - This soundtrack is so important to me...

Final Fantasy VIII

Valkyrie Profile & Final Fantasy VIII