Page 102 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2529296979899100101102103104105106107108112152 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 4077
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: The Official Video Game Music Rumble

you know my username and my avatar arent related Mercenary Raven's Avatar
    Legend of Dragoon

Final Fantasy Tactics
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Katachi-Makoto-Kotowari Szczepan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topopoz View Post
    Suikoden II

Final Fantasy Tactics

Next battle please...

So Suikoden II (3-1) and Final Fantasy Tactics (5-0) are moving on. And next up...

Round 2, Fight 5

Einhander by Kenichiro Fukui (1997)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

vs.

Tekken 3 by Nobuyoshi Sano, Keiichi Okabe, Hiroyuki Kawada, Minamo Takahashi, and Yu Miyake (1998)
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 6

Soul Edge by Masumi Ito, Benten Maru, Yoshiyuki Ito, Aki Hata, Taku Iwasaki (1996)

vs.

MediEvil by Andrew Barnabas and Paul Arnold (1998)

My votes are for Einhander and Medievil.

These are two interesting fights because they each represent tendencies of video game composers in the post-16-bit world. If you remember, the SNES had [Hidden link. Register to see links.] creating rock music faithfully because of its compression method. There were workarounds and there were exceptions, but for the most part SNES music was faux-orchestral and Genesis music was rock- and techno-influenced.

That changed with the next generation of consoles when composers working with the PlayStation were freed from many of the technical limitations of the past. Thus, you have a plethora of rock- and techno-influenced soundtracks like our first two competitors, in numbers equivalent to orchestral soundtracks such as Medievil and, to a lesser extent, Soul Edge.

In this way, the world of video game music was opening up for PlayStation gamers, far beyond these two oversimplified categories as well, making the fifth generation one of the most important for the evolution of vgm.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently FINAL FANTASY and GAME BOY
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Tekken 3

MediEvil

Einhander

Soul Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Szczepan View Post
    Tekken 3

MediEvil
    V for Valhalla

Tekken 3

MediEvil
    I didn't miss a particularly exciting battle it seems, since I would have voted for both of the winners anyway. Also wow, Super Metroid would have sounded awesome on Genesis.

Never let it be said that Einhander is in any way a bad soundtrack, however, because that is a lie. Personally, my vote is slightly biased due to my experience with Tekken 3 as a kid. That applies to MediEvil as well, but I didn't like Soul Edge much.

Edit: Browsing through some of the older pages of this rumble, I feel like we should try to get more voters. We get 5-6 people voting now, while a few months ago we had nearly double that. Of course, you can't expect most people to stick around forever but that doesn't mean we can't get new people to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Browsing through some of the older pages of this rumble, I feel like we should try to get more voters. We get 5-6 people voting now, while a few months ago we had nearly double that. Of course, you can't expect most people to stick around forever but that doesn't mean we can't get new people to participate.
    I'm always happy to have more participating. Our philosophy is definitely "the more, the merrier." If you all mention the rumble to your friends or put a link in your signature, that could help bring in new people.

I also have several ideas that you all could help with. For instance, I've been thinking about uploading the songs from each rumble in separate threads in the Downloads forum. That way, people can download the music and also be encouraged to come check us out. I just don't have the time to create those threads right now. But if anyone is interested, let me know and I can send you some stuff.

I've also done a lot of advertising in other threads and through PMs. Obviously, you don't want to annoy others, especially over a thread that many people have seen by now. But I've stayed active in encouraging people to participate.

However, I think the best thing to do is to just keep going, making things fun and interesting. If that holds true, people will talk about the thread. If others hear about it, they'll take a look.

This time itís Tekken 3 (3-2) and Medievil (4-1). Next upÖ

Round 2, Fight 7

Wild Arms 2 by Michiko Naruke (1999)

vs.

Suikoden by Miki Higashino, Tappy Iwase, Hiroshi Tamawari, Hirofumi Taniguchi, and Mayuko Kageshita (1995)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2, Fight 8

Xenogears by Yasunori Mitsuda (1998)

vs.

Mega Man X5 by Naoto Tanaka, Naoya Kamisaka, and Takuya Miyawaki (2000)

My votes are for Suikoden (surprise surprise) and Xenogears.

Suikoden
    my rare game soundtracks thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]
    my extended game music loops thread: [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

other great threads:

Suikoden

Mega Man X5

Suikoden

Xenogears

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Raven View Post
    Suikoden

Mega Man X5
    Don't get me wrong I have in very High Regard Xenogears, as the soundtrack that opened the doors of Mitsuda to define the sound of music he does from that point to these days.

But I just love MMX5 music and game that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
    Suikoden

Xenogears

A surprisingly large margin of victory for Suikoden (6-0) against the popular Wild Arms 2 soundtrack, and a surprisingly small margin of victory for Xenogears (3-2), which was discussed last round as a good bet to win the entire rumble. Interesting. Next up...

Round 2, Fight 9

Final Fantasy VIII by Nobuo Uematsu (1999)

vs.

Persona by Hidehito Aoki, Kenichi Tsuchiya, Shōji Meguro, and Misaki Okibe (1996)

Round 2, Fight 10

Star Ocean: The Second Story by Motoi Sakuraba (1998)

vs.

Valkyrie Profile by Motoi Sakuraba (1999)

My votes are for Final Fantasy VIII and Star Ocean: The Second Story.

Final Fantasy VIII & Valkyrie Profile

FFVIII

Star Ocean

Final Fantasy VIII, Valkyrie Profile

Final Fantasy VIII

Valkyrie Profile
    - both sound equally good to me, but have good memories with VP, so it wins by a slight margin.

Final Fantasy VIII
    Valkyrie Profile

not gonna lie... i chose FF8 cause I played it :S

Final Fantasy VIII

Valkyrie Profile

Sorry for the delay. I had to go out of town and didn't have internet access. We've got Final Fantasy VIII (7-0) and Valkyrie Profile (5-2) winning pretty handily. Next up...

Round 2, Fight 11

Vagrant Story by Hitoshi Sakimoto (2000)

vs.

Resident Evil by Makoto Tomozawa, Akari Kaida, and Masami Ueda (1996)

Round 2, Fight 12

Silent Hill by Akira Yamaoka (1999)

vs.

Final Fantasy IX by Nobuo Uematsu (2000)

My votes are for Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Surprised myself with both of these votes after re-listening to the soundtracks. All four are impressive, but these are especially impressive for their historical importance. Even though they're mostly composed of atmospheric music, they contributed immensely to making both series memorable and successful.

Vagrant Story - I'll admit what you've said about Resident Evil and I agree partially, I still prefer the music of 2 & 3 over 1.
    But to me it doesn't reach to the toes of the quality of Composition of this Soundtrack.
    Beyond my obvious weakness for Sakimoto's Music, Vagrant Story is the one most Heterogeneous Soundtracks outhere, It brought a wide variety of sounds and moods in the history of all VGM. Plus the Blending of the music with the Imagery of the game makes me weep.
    From an artistical standpoint Vagrant Story wins for me, because it's the Magnum Opus that's been overlooked for being too unusual for the regular consumer.

Without going further with this I'll give some more links with amazing tracks of this amazing piece of art.

I'll stop here, because I'm capable of posting the whole 2 disks of the Soundtrack XD.

Silent Hill - Agreed on this one as well, even though the rest SH music was more trip hop influenced. The Industrial and chaotic sound of this one nails it and remains as my fauvorite SH soundtrack for being the most twisted of the whole series. =D

Final Fantasy IX

Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy IX.