Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

Another thing,

Someone asked me what did i have on my IPOD today in class. How do i answer that without getting weird looks? Do i just say: uhh video game score or movie score? thats gonna sound prety weird to them.

So id there any ideas, because its complicated trying
    to explain to the person?

Heeey that's a very good question, come on everyone let's help
    em out! Hmm I would probably say:

"Ohhh just soundtracks I like"
    "Just something I whipped together in the kitchen this morning"
    "Something me and my friend named Nobuo Uematsu are working on"

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeC View Post
    Another thing, So id there any ideas, because its complicated trying to explain to the person?
    It depends on whether you're well-liked or not, in a way.

If I don't know them, I would say, "Music." and if they ask what type of music, I would say, "The kind that you listen to." Unless this person has an intense desire to find out what you're listening to, he or she will laugh and eventually give up without any negative feelings.

If I knew them, I would say, "Have you played/seen *insert game soundtrack or movie soundtrack*?" and if they say yes, you can say, "Yeah, I got the soundtrack to it. It's some good stuff." and they won't think negative feelings towards that.

Be sure to have a coat of funniness too, so nobody thinks it's awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeC View Post
    Another thing,

Someone asked me what did i have on my IPOD today in class. How do i answer that without getting weird looks? Do i just say: uhh video game score or movie score? thats gonna sound prety weird to them.

So id there any ideas, because its complicated trying
    to explain to the person?
    "this composer I like."

When someone asks me what I'm listening to, or something like that, then I say "some music from [insert videogame name]" or just "music from a videogame".
    People don't seem to have a problem with that, but sometimes they say something like "oh I see... hey I liked the music from [insert SNES game here]"

For some reason people only remember the main theme of super mario world
    Life be my shield

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]...............................[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    I don't think we're crazy, I think we're a bunch of geeks, no offense to anyone but it's true.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by registering sucks View Post
    I don't think we're crazy, I think we're a bunch of geeks, no offense to anyone but it's true.
    Except for the fact that I'm with friends 5 times as much as I play video games or use the computer, sure, I'm a geek. But you see, there isn't anything wrong with video game music, unless you excessively listen to it and not any type of music.

But yeah, me likey game music.

Shriner
    I do get embarrassed about listening to video game music in public places. I usually turn the volume down. And hey - guess what? I listen to my music on my DS, that has a homebrew card and can play MP3s! I don't listen to much 'normal music' as such, and prefer ambient music, video game music, TV/film music. (I love the 24 soundtrack.)

I do get really pissed off at myself for being embarrassed about it though. I mean, what makes people hate VG music? Well, this country's numbskulled populace don't realise their thoughts are being strongly influenced by society, and sadly, they've been influenced to believe that video game music is 'sad', and indeed that it probably is made of bleeps...

Nothing we can do but put up with it.

Hey Shaun,

Very good points, but don't be embarrassed. I turn it down
    to avoid stupid questions and stuff, but heck if I want it louder it goes up
    I just won't care ya know? It's funny that you said made of bleeps
    I recently attended the video games live concert and one of the opening comments was "People think it's made up of bleeps...Let's show em then"

Like you I don't listen to what people would consider "Normal"
    but if it is you really won't find anything mainstream in my collection ^_^

At my college i go in the breakroom everyday and put my IPOD on and listen to My gamerips that ive made lol, all while watchign those poor minded souls go about there way.

Virtuous Peacekeeper
    When someone asked me what was on my iPod, I told them mostly music from video games, but also some classical and electronic music, but not from video games (Juno Reactor, The Cynic Project, Gaby Ponte, etc.). They responded by asking "so you have the soundtrack to Mario on your iPod?"

I tried to explain to them that just because its called "video game music" doesnt mean it cant sound like a regular old artist created the music and sold CDs. I tried to convince them that the video game music I listen to (Metal Gear Solid series, Anarchy Online, EVE Online, Castlevania series, Final Fantasy series, and many more) is good quality music, not some MIDI beeps and boops like what you would hear on the old game systems or Game Boy. For some reason, this is what people at my school think. Its almost like they have never played a video game who's designers created music specifically for that game.

Plus, I hate the music from the mario games. It fits the game, but its not something I would sit and listen to. Why do people have to stereotype modern video game music with the "old school" video game MIDI music?

Also, I absolutely hate it when people think all electronic music is called Techno. Techno is its own genre of electronic music. Sorry, I hate to let it out. Thats another discussion though, I dont want to change the topic.

people either laugh, say im listening to devil music???, elevator music... or think that im some kind of crazy person. I usually don't hear em anyways, cause im too busy listening to my crazy songs!!!

This is a great message for me to state this- VIDEO GAME MUSIC IS THE ONLY THING I TRULY ENJOY!!! I don't see why everyone is trying to turn me on to all this other crap on the radio as it is myself. I know my neighbors in college want me to derive a better tate in my music by listening to some more rock and rap. Too bad all I want is some good video game music to listen to...

As it is, that's all I really have on my MP3 every time it's on, but I'm not telling my neighbors and friends that. And this message, by the way, is
    coming from a black, for anyone who wants to know.

-ShaqZero-

I think also asian people will probably actually think its cool because in asian countries VGm music is up there with the mainstream. So ig i showed my graw rips to an sian person he/she'd probably thinks its cool.

Onion Kid
    The thing I know is that people who don't play any games are completely ignorant in vgm. They make the fun out of you when you even mention vgm. The only music that comes up their mind is SNES mario music.

edit: oh, you guys experienced just the same as me! Actually I'm in an orchestra, so I proposed to play some vgm music with the orchestra you know, they just made fun of my proposal.

Virtuous Peacekeeper
    They dont know what they are missing. I have a really great orchestrated version of a Final Fantasy 8 song. The Man with the Machine Gun. You can download it at [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. I think you guys should try that song. Let them listen to the origional and this version and see what they think. Just keep trying to tell them that its not from the SNES.

Shriner
    I picked up some amazing Philips earphones today, and you can hardly hear the music if they're not on your ear. No more turning it down, I guess. However, I do get people in class asking about what I listen to. I only really listen to a couple of bands they'd listen to and I hardly even listen to that. I refuse to conform and I will continue listening to whatever I like. =]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    they've been influenced to believe that video game music is 'sad', and indeed that it probably is made of bleeps...
    My grandmother found an old Donkey Kong Country 2 disc labeled: Best of Donkey Kong Country 2.

She said, "I don't know why he listens to that. Nothin' but boops and beeps." I laughed because that's entirely untrue.

Virtuous Peacekeeper
    We should really try to get people educated about VG music. I have a video production class and if im going to add music to my videos, ill defenatly put some music from video games, so long as it fits the video. I will mention it in the credits so they know where that wonderful music came from. Ill bet they wont believe it came from a video game. My school even has like a little show every morning on the TV, its called KWIN. Kids that are in the KWIN group say the morning announcements and then afterwards a little video will come up. We generally can make the video anything as long as its school appropriate. You have to be a senior to get into KWIN, so ill have to wait until next year. Im going to try my hardest to get in. Not only because I am interested in that stuff, but also so I can put VG music on the videos.

You know that little sample at the beginning of icestations on the timesplitters soundtrack?

I think that would go well with the introduction logo lol.

Virtuous Peacekeeper
    I never heard that song before. Also, we dont really have an introduction logo. However, that is a great idea I can submit to them. Thanks for the idea!

Yay! I'm an Onion Kid! Kupo! Pray_Love_Will_Grow's Avatar
    They think I'm crazy, but for different reasons. The videogame music helps, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqZero View Post
    This is a great message for me to state this- VIDEO GAME MUSIC IS THE ONLY THING I TRULY ENJOY!!! I don't see why everyone is trying to turn me on to all this other crap on the radio as it is myself. I know my neighbors in college want me to derive a better tate in my music by listening to some more rock and rap. Too bad all I want is some good video game music to listen to...

As it is, that's all I really have on my MP3 every time it's on, but I'm not telling my neighbors and friends that. And this message, by the way, is
    coming from a black, for anyone who wants to know.

-ShaqZero-
    Hey, you are one I could totally connect to!
    Like you VG music is pretty much all I listen to.
    Man I'd love to share music with you guys or better yet
    just hang out with you all and listen to VG music and not have to worry
    about ignorant close minded people...Sooo who lives close to San Diego:P lol

well i do get laughed at because i listen to video game music (especially when it comes to sonic for soem reason) but it dont matter because i i wouldnt be me if i was the same as everyoen else. so i usually say.

"im an artist, and as an artist, i want to be open to all feilds of things. who sayis i can only listen to only one genere or whatever. and just because you think something is wrong with me for liking video game music? well i will think something is wrong for you to like smoking so much pot, masturbating or (insert wrongdoing here). a person shouldnt be judged by what they like to listen to, watch, or do. if you dont liek it u dont have to be around them."
    my stuff im working on.
    Streets of Rage 2 in 3d along with a remastered soundtrack (probably be done by Christmas)
    Gun-Dec: Project Doom Game remaster (i'll continue after getting SoR settled)

_________
    silently spreading joy to ppl without them knowing.

Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    Hey, you are one I could totally connect to!
    Like you VG music is pretty much all I listen to.
    Man I'd love to share music with you guys or better yet
    just hang out with you all and listen to VG music and not have to worry
    about ignorant close minded people...Sooo who lives close to San Diego:P lol
    Or who lives close to Manchester, England? :P Also, Lotus Dragon - I think that's a great idea. Personally, I think some of the best tracks to use for such a presentation would come from Metal Gear Solid 1/2, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (amazing), Jet Set Radio (hey, it would fool anyone) or maybe even Tekken 5?

(My VG music taste is actually very varied. I'm just trying to pick out soundtracks that would sound 'cooler'.)