Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

I. . .am. . .the. . .GRAEYSTONE! Graeystone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurakitsune View Post
    This... This is so true. People think that because games don't have some rapper singing about BITCHES AND HOES YO, BITCHES AND HOES, that it's not music. Ugh. -.-

(also, this is my first post. Hi.)

Excellent first post and welcome aboard! I agree with you 100%. Its interesting, at least to me, is that a lot of video game music is classical in nature.
    AOL chatroom survivor, ex-forum moderator, former IRC Operator. . .bring it on punks!

I haven't ever told anybody that I've liked video-game music mainly because the oppurtunity hasn't arose, but I would have no problem with sharing my love for the genre to anybody. I think you have to be quite narrow-minded to automatically discourage this type of music if you haven't heard any, or even if you have.

Some of the best music I've ever heard come from video games and I admire the composers who create such beautiful melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Enya View Post
    I haven't ever told anybody that I've liked video-game music mainly because the oppurtunity hasn't arose, but I would have no problem with sharing my love for the genre to anybody. I think you have to be quite narrow-minded to automatically discourage this type of music if you haven't heard any, or even if you have.

Some of the best music I've ever heard come from video games and I admire the composers who create such beautiful melodies.
    "People" in general are discouraging IMO though. So tread lightly if you ever open up to "these people".

I can understand that. You're right. I should have said most people, rather than anybody because there are those sort of people who you can easily identify as people who wouldn't be interested and some might even attack you for saying how much you like vgm.
    But then, looks can be deceiving so I basically wait for someone with a genuine interest to ask and I would tell them.

I also found that video game music has opened me up to different kinds of music that I never used to listen to before. I'm loving the orchestral/vocal music to the Final Fantasy and Soul Calibur series, and worlds apart, music to the Sonic Adventure and Megaman series.

I've always liked video games, and been awesome at them too, but because of them I now have an appreciation and desire for their music. I wouldn't worry about what negative things others have to say, I still try to share this with them anyway.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

I have a degree in the Funk. =O Bob-Charley's Avatar
    Wow, this really rings true for me... Ever since I was a tiny tot playing Sonic 2 (Yeah, Sega Genesis was my first console, so sue me), the first thing I would do after buying a game would be going into the options menu to see if there was a sound test feature... And my two older brothers would just laugh and laugh and laugh about it. When I got older, I would listen to the X-Men: Children of the Atom soundtrack, which I'd recorded off an emulated copy, on the bus home from school and everyone would give me funny looks. Flash forward to today, and I'm walking around with 2 gigs worth of vg music in my iPod, so that when people say "Hey, what're you listening to?" and I have to reply, "Blue the Justice" or "Suitable Opponent", hilarity ensues.

Eh, I'm rambling. My point is, yes, I've been there, and I'm really glad to find people who think like I do through the wonders of thar interwebz. Also, I'm grateful for sites like Vgmusic and Galbadia Hotel, so I don't have to record my favorite songs off my crappy, only-gets-sound-in-one-speaker tv.

because I couldn't make up an easy one DifficultUserName's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Charley View Post
    Wow, this really rings true for me... Ever since I was a tiny tot playing Sonic 2 (Yeah, Sega Genesis was my first console, so sue me), the first thing I would do after buying a game would be going into the options menu to see if there was a sound test feature... And my two older brothers would just laugh and laugh and laugh about it. When I got older, I would listen to the X-Men: Children of the Atom soundtrack, which I'd recorded off an emulated copy, on the bus home from school and everyone would give me funny looks. Flash forward to today, and I'm walking around with 2 gigs worth of vg music in my iPod, so that when people say "Hey, what're you listening to?" and I have to reply, "Blue the Justice" or "Suitable Opponent", hilarity ensues.

Eh, I'm rambling. My point is, yes, I've been there, and I'm really glad to find people who think like I do through the wonders of thar interwebz. Also, I'm grateful for sites like Vgmusic and Galbadia Hotel, so I don't have to record my favorite songs off my crappy, only-gets-sound-in-one-speaker tv.
    Heh, I use to do that too (actually, I still do lolz)! I also love the Sonic 2 soundtrack!

I don't think I'm crazy for liking video game music. Cause to me, it's still music...just on a video game. I actually have some CDs with nothing BUT video game music. I mean, would a person be crazy for liking a movie/television show's soundtrack? Sometimes it's nice to listen to something without vocals, y'know?

Believe it or not i lost some friends at school just because i changed my musical taste from the crappy radio mainstream music to VGM and movie scores. The people in my school mostly just by musical tastes. But i learned to live with it and eventually will find someone that has or atlest respect the same tastes that i have.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeC View Post
    Believe it or not i lost some friends at school just because i changed my musical taste from the crappy radio mainstream music to VGM and movie scores. The people in my school mostly just by musical tastes. But i learned to live with it and eventually will find someone that has or atlest respect the same tastes that i have.

Wow, that's harsh. Serves them right, they don't deserve your personality then, I guess.
    People find my tastes just "funny" (though some think it's weird). I let one of my friends listen to a song from Galaxy Force, an old game from the Master System era the reactions were amusing to watch.

Basically their saying it's not mature to listen to music. Some people hear this kind of music and like it, but when they ask where it's from and you tell them it's from a video game they go:

It's as if they are at some new restaurant that they've never been to before and decide to order the special, they may like it, even love it, but once they learn that they've been eating liver covered in anchovy sauce they all the sudden hate it. They view video game music the same way, they may enjoy the music but then despise it once they learn where it's from.

We live amongst some strange people don't we.

Grand Shriner
    So this morning me and my sister are grabbing breakfast at McDonalds, and I ask "what do you think of video game music?". She replies "Well, there is some music from games I would totally listen to but I don't think it's real music, like what's played on [radio station]."

Oh yeah, the stuff they play there...remember the Post about "bitches an' hoe's" ?

Onion Kid
    People always give me strange looks when I tell them I like video game music. I personally don't like any of the music that's everywhere these days.

Forgotten Shadow mistekreuz_executor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeC View Post
    Tell your older sis to define real music.
    Ask her this question.
    False.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by mistekreuz_executor View Post
    Ask her this question.
    And make sure you are able to record her answer for the glory of the Internet.

Then show her this thread after a day or two.

I also hate rap and hip-hop because it's like a disease that has a detrimental effect on one's brain, ie. stupidity.

BUT!

Whenever I listen/watch Samurai Champloo, I am quickly reminded that there probably is a lot of great stuff hiding deep under the surface that is mainstream culture.

Moreover, I am not exactly a fan of techno and I had rather negative reactions towards Rez OST. Emphasis on OST as I didn't have a problem with the music while watching the game (videos on the intarwebs). That is why I gave it a second chance, listened to it some more and it has begun to grow on me ever since.

Ice-melting moments.

Rookie
    Has anyone ever just played various songs from soundtracks and had a person not really into games love the music you played, but had NO idea where it came from. I did that to a few of my friends and even my mother. (I played Lupin the III and the Boss music from FFVII). Granted, she won't play games much except Brain Age, but I thought it was amusing.

So what music do you think your friends might listen to and not know it's from a video game or anime(that isn't Madden or any EA licensed stuff)?

Forgotten Shadow mistekreuz_executor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chronolocke View Post
    Has anyone ever just played various songs from soundtracks and had a person not really into games love the music you played, but had NO idea where it came from. I did that to a few of my friends and even my mother. (I played Lupin the III and the Boss music from FFVII). Granted, she won't play games much except Brain Age, but I thought it was amusing.

So what music do you think your friends might listen to and not know it's from a video game or anime(that isn't Madden or any EA licensed stuff)?
    Lots of them
    My moron friend' favorite music is "My Will and Shinjitsu no Shi", but sickly and stupidly he kept saying he hates anime and anything that relates to it. That sick dude even don't know that both of his favorite songs originally came from Inuyasha' OST. Until someday I tell him this:

"Did you know this music is originally come from an anime?"

"Yeah, who cares"

The same thing also applies to my cousin. She keeps saying she hates Final Fantasy and has an opinion that it's all about stupid unnecessary violence. But you know what? She claims Liberi Fatali as her theme song.

By the way. I am creating something: a video game (an RPG identically). I need you guys to inspect and criticize my story if you feel like something not fits. I'll open to any critic as long as it's building. [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by mistekreuz_executor View Post
    The same thing also applies to my cousin. She keeps saying she hates Final Fantasy and has an opinion that it's all about stupid unnecessary violence. But you know what? She claims Liberi Fatali as her theme song.
    It is a good song. Sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it.

Sonic Fan from Poland AndySonicFan17's Avatar
    I told some of my friends i only listen to video game music. Some of them are finding it natural, others ask me to tell my REAL favourite music type. Some people just can't understand that video game music is also a music gender.

Video game and Japanese music is all I listen to. Most of my friends find it weird. Like other people have said, they want to know what my REAL favorite music is. They can kinda relate to relate to liking the occasional J-rock song, but saying I mostly listen to non-vocal game music completely blows their mind. What I like so much about non-vocal game music is that I can do so much other stuff while listening to it. I can't write code and listen to a vocal song for example. So often in school when lots of people are talking I put on some game music.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Yeah. My brothers think I'm SERIOUSLY weird for listening to VG music. I don't give a damn about what they say about my love of music! Uh, it IS okay to say damn, right?

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulSlayer View Post
    I can do so much other stuff while listening to it.
    Yeah, I like to make stupid lyrics from Video Game music. I made a stereotypical white-guy rap about growing up in the ghetto from a song in Super Paper Mario.

I usually make that stuff up spontaneously. I'm a little messed-up in the head with my lyrics sometimes though. Paper Mario games are a big source of that. I remember making a song about forgiving from the main overworld theme of the original Paper Mario.

What is really funny is that a lot of video game music is sampled in popular music. Mostly rap. Three 6 Mafia's early work (back when they actually tried to make good music) samples Akumajo X: Chii no Rondo. One of Nelly's biggest hits was ripped directly off of Streets of Rage. I have also heard a lesser known rapper use the boss music from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

On a similar note, here in New Orleans there is a jewelry shop whose tv ads use the overworld music from Chrono Cross. I'm not kidding.

Rookie

Chrono Cross in a TV ad

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth420 View Post
    What is really funny is that a lot of video game music is sampled in popular music. Mostly rap. Three 6 Mafia's early work (back when they actually tried to make good music) samples Akumajo X: Chii no Rondo. One of Nelly's biggest hits was ripped directly off of Streets of Rage. I have also heard a lesser known rapper use the boss music from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

On a similar note, here in New Orleans there is a jewelry shop whose tv ads use the overworld music from Chrono Cross. I'm not kidding.

Wow, that's funny about the jewelry shop. I have to be honest and say that Guitar Hero broadened my music tastes a little.
    Now that I think about it...I've heard a bunch of Game music on Japanese television. I'll never forget hearing Dynasty Warriors (Lu-Bu's theme, of all things) when they were airing a story about slaughtering animals. Kind of appropriate in a sense, huh?

I occasionally listen to my radio to see what's out there...when I'm not listening to my music CDs. So once in awhile, just listen to some random music you haven't heard before...you might be surprised...or might want to jump off a very high cliff.

My sister once said that I have no taste in music.
    My reply? "Perhaps, but I'm not the one with a Britney Spears CD or a Christina Aguilera CD."

Don't let your friends and family get you down about your tastes...they are YOUR tastes and preferences. Keep your head up and your insanity safe!

Personally, I listen to everything. And I mean everything. (Mostly breaks and some breakbeat.) The only things I don't like are metal and country. Honestly, I used to be shy about listening to JPOP or video game music, especially in the car. Now that its been 4 years since high school, I can honestly tell you that now I love to drive around listening to the opening theme for Snatcher at full volume. And you know what's really funny: when you pull up to a guy in a suped up BMW M3 listening to JPOP... and the guy turns up Ayumi Hamasaki even louder than you.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast