Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

For three years I only listened the Final Fantasy VIII soudtrack, I was completle obsesionated

Onion Kid
    No one has criticized me for enjoying videogame soundtracks. In all fairness, in this day and age, many game soundtracks rival film scores in terms of quality and composition. They've come a long way since old school midis and chip tunes.

I'm also kind of sad by the lack of VGM on mainstream radio stations, my TV has radio stations and I was looking for game and anime and J-POP but they had movie osts and mainstream pop, country, rap, etc and I also wish that stores would carry all game OST's not just western game OST's. But you will never see a radio station in the US (like K-HOP @ 95-1, for example) play video game music. I think that VGM will always be more widely-accepted in Japan, they have game music playing in Akihabara!

Quote Originally Posted by qisties View Post
    For three years I only listened the Final Fantasy VIII soudtrack, I was completle obsesionated
    Isn't Uematsu awesome? XD

Close friends to me holler at me "Final Fantasy" or "How is FF going" whenever they see me, lol and it's cool and funny, maybe they don't play that much and maybe they aren't the same obsessed as me, but at least they ask. I believe you should be yourself, that's the beautiful thing, it's not interesting if everybody is the same. So listen more to the kind of music you enjoy

Well only one of my real-life friends knows that I like vgm, which I do like alot, but not particularly crazy about and by far not the greatest part of what I listen to.
    And he is like what ever dude.

well,they think im freak an alien and very weird

I find that it depends. One of my friends absolutely love the music from the Final Fantasy series since VII, but when it comes to the old 8-bit and 16-bit Final Fantasy soundtracks it really makes him cringe. My taste ranges from old to new, but I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding the value of old video game music, while they are amazed by what it has become. A lot of my friends are musicians like myself, so maybe that's why they can tolerate the more cinematic video game music, but it takes a lot to convince them that an 8-bit piece of music can be just as amazing.

Yeah, they do at first, but then I have them listen to the songs and times, they fall in love too
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT IS MORPHING TIME!"

Onion Kid
    Y'ever play a song, or a remix, and someone overhears it and asks, "Oh, who did that song?" And you tell 'em it's from a video game, and it takes 'em five minutes to pick their jaw up off the floor?

Classic 8-bit tunes are so much fun. There's tunes like Tetris, or Mario, or Zelda, that everyone has heard and will, on some level, recognize. They're versatile for remixes, and bring back all the joy of the simpler times of the past. (*le sigh*) More modern stuff is on-par with anything from full orchestral works, to head-bangin' metal concerts. There's something for everyone. =D

Video game tuneage is heavily underappreciated, and greatly underexposed, s'all I've got to say about it. But, maybe I can con some of my coworkers out to the Video Games Live concert. =D

Yes, it's like trying to stay in closet...

*My parents doesn't know it: I must be careful if I want to keep this secret.
    *In college/university, I can't let people know that I like such things: My playlist full of OSTs is not in my iPod.
    *I had to join Final Fantasy Shrine: Now, I can openly write about things I like and shit.
    *If I come out of the closet, the haters will rape me.

My mom liked "Rosetta's Comet Observatory 2" from Super Mario Galaxy (I was playing SMG in my dusty Wii).
    ¿?

Mario, at your service. TripleMMM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FabulousKing View Post
    Yes, it's like trying to stay in closet...
    My mom liked "Rosetta's Comet Observatory 2" from Super Mario Galaxy (I was playing SMG in my dusty Wii).
    Lol! That last line could be the icebreaker!

The ice already melted
    My mom is living with my grandparents and my dad is working all the time
    And what about me?... I've been stuck in this forum for hours

Mario, at your service. TripleMMM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FabulousKing View Post
    The ice already melted
    My mom is living with my grandparents and my dad is working all the time
    And what about me?... I've been stuck in this forum for hours
    Bloody hell, mate! You sure got a busy family... :/

People have long since come to terms to the fact I am pleasantly weird, so t hey don't care. I'm the only one in my (rather large) family who is REALLY into games, and out of the people I know, the only person who is into game music. My family and friends don't really get my tastes, but they just generally leave me alone about it, so it's not a bother to me :-)
    “How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.”
    ― Steve Maraboli

Onion Kid
    I would not say "crazy". But some people really wonder why I sometimes seem to care more about the soundtrack than the movie ... x)

as a pianist, i sometimes catch some grief from the classical snobs about my championing of VGM as serious and worthy of study and performance on the concert stage. matters not to me, i still mix it in with my training and approach it with the same seriousness and intensity in learning them to performance standard along with usual suspects (standard classical/art music piano repertoire)

Quote Originally Posted by Scriabinoff View Post
    as a pianist, i sometimes catch some grief from the classical snobs about my championing of VGM as serious and worthy of study and performance on the concert stage. matters not to me, i still mix it in with my training and approach it with the same seriousness and intensity in learning them to performance standard along with usual suspects (standard classical/art music piano repertoire)
    you should tell those fools that the classical music of the future will be the soundtracks of today...

Good to hear I'm not alone in enjoying music from Games.
    Delta91 likes this.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by GunsTariq View Post
    Good to hear I'm not alone in enjoying music from Games.
    You are very far to be alone! )
    Delta91 likes this.

Onion Kid
    Of course... I take it as read that you are classed as strange!