Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do people think you are crazy for loving video game music?

Onion Kid
    I mostly use game osts to make beats.

Like... I got this free cd Im working on with another rapper Valtiel, and were making it all Silent Hill themed.

yes..But I really don't give a fuck about what the common half-wit thinks.
    If working in a music store has taught me anything..it's that people are stupid and that they have shitty taste in music..So why would i care what they think....Videogame music kicks ass! so next time some lame friend/relative/random stranger rolls their eyes when they hear you listening too the super mario theme...tell them to fuck off
    A man chooses; a slave obeys.-Andrew Ryan

Game music started my interest in music in general. Before, I never liked the "popular msuic" of today, and unluckily, music on the radio and MTV was the only thing I got to hear. So I didn't really care about music and thought it was shit, and I never liked the singing. Until I played Medievil and FF6...
    I don't talk with my friends about the music I like, because I know they would give me strange looks.
    Now I have collected a good amount of not only VGM, but also some other music such as classical and postrock (you should try this genre, there are all awesome epic rock/orchestra pieces without singing). Now I even can enjoy some pieces with singing in it.

Yeah, it's sad that people turn away as soon as they hear that the music they found quite nice before is from a videogame. That's because even so-called "open-minded" people are in reality very narrow-minded. I assume 70% of the "music-fans" are in fact just jumping one bandwagon after another. They don't really care about the melodies, they just want...well, I don't know what they want.

Onion Kid
    aw dudes im getting shy atm...seriously:P
    just to let u guys know i havent had any lessons in how to play guitar i completely learned it to play on my own.
    plus im trying to learn it for a short month now.
    so dont expect a whole concert thingy..

anyways im holding my guitar in my hand so ill record if i like it ill upload it..

is it allowed to upload on rapidshare n to put a link here?

edit:

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

tadaaaaa here it is i hope ull like it
    its just over 20 secs so not much

lemme know what u think of it cuz it may sound weird but i love criticism
    so bring on the pain :P

Onion Kid
    me personally, I'm eclectic when it comes to music, but most people are surprised to see me listening to the Street Fighter or Guilty Gear soundtracks I have and following it up with Bumpy Knuckles, Killswitch or The Drifters...but my 2 true music loves are VGMs and Underground Hip-Hop, ya heard? I can't hate on what people listen to, but if you think I'm weird for listening to VGMs, you could suck my...*holds mic up to crowd like he was john cena*

J. Peterman
    yes

Yes yes!! I totally feel you guys. I share the same passion as well... listening to game music while driving, on the ipod, or while doing work. I simply crave instrumentals. I thought I was an odd egg, away from mainstream and family in music taste. But I found you ^^

Destroyer whos knows only how to fight. strikeXfreedom's Avatar
    I think you have a point, im kinda embarrassed that i like this music along with JPOP, but my point is, some games I just love and wish they could go on forever, but they all end so instead of just constantly playing i listen to the sound tracks for some and it kinda has a nostalgia factor that bring back memorys of the game with out having to play it. that why i like the music so uch
    That is why I fight, to defeat those who give birth to conflict! I will destroy this distortion. Eradication of warfare through force.

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~CHECK MY YOUTUBE!~~

Destroyer whos knows only how to fight. strikeXfreedom's Avatar
    lol i had to post again after reading some posts, I agree with alot of people here, i listen to my ipod at work which only has anime and video game music on it, so when ever somebody asks what im listening to, i tell them nothing, and then some people ask to borrow it and im like no, you wouldnt like the music, and they're like "Dont worry i like all music, so i dont care..." and then i get all defense trying not to listen so i won't look like a nerd or something. I know its bad caring what other people think, but its hard when listening to this kind of music is so unorthodox. but reading a lot of these posts has opened my eyes a little. A lot more people listen to this than i originally thought, but i wish i knew more in person.

Had the same proble at school, i would kind of feel weird when im listening to my VGM and movie scores and seeing people walking by or sitting next to me.

im black and my brother and friends roast me all da time bout this but i dont care
    "Ascension Is The Key"

*~*All That You Are, Shining Star*~* eboni's Avatar
    I have always, and I mean ALWAYS, hard a certain love for video game music. I know most people never think that it is not real music, but I ask why not? Don't these people put effort into their work as well? It's like saying anime is not art.
    ....Until.... Tomorrow...

Id like to qoute graeme norgate on his timesplitters interview.

"My main goal is to ask a person that i make videogame music without having them saying: ohh you make those bleep bleep noises, then thats when i shove my gameboy where the sun don't shine.

now lets see who's making the bleep bleep noises.

Sadly, it's just too much hastle to try and explain that everytime they see me listening to my MP3 player, I'm listining to VG OSTs. I just lie and say I'm listening to Hop hop/R&B.

Closed minded twats... -_-
    "Water can flow and water can CRASH! Be like water, my friend!" - Bruce Lee

Reccomends Atelier Iris music an awful lot. UmbreChan's Avatar
    all my friends think im crazy because i have a 4MB MP3 player and i have about 5 songs on it that aren't from a video game.

for me, music is one of the most important parts of a game.
    i remember games much better if the music is catchy. God, i've not played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles in years, but i still remember the music.

music is music. it takes just as much effort, if not more, to compose music for a film or a game than to write a song. or in many cases, pay a writer to do it and pretend you wrote it
    they also have the challenge of keeping it in context, and they have to work with the limited (but improving) restrictions which games consoles, particularly handhelds have. Although that isn't much of an issue anymore.
    "Oh yeah, "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming."

I love when you are in the car jamming to some awesome game music, and your buddy doesn't realize it's game music. Then when he inquires about the music, you tell him it's from a game. It's a great way to open people's eyes to game music.

Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    I love when you are in the car jamming to some awesome game music, and your buddy doesn't realize it's game music. Then when he inquires about the music, you tell him it's from a game. It's a great way to open people's eyes to game music.
    Ahh I love that! I get that alot and I love the expression and pause effect
    lol:P It is a great way to open their eyes and ears to a different world

Opeth rules. You should check them out. poptart fantastico's Avatar
    I don't really care if anyone knows I love game music. However, if I feel like a song sounds silly and embarrassing I'll skip the track to the next. I couldn't tell ya why I find some tracks embarrassing, I just do. Like uhm... The Dragon Quest tracks in concert, when the girls sing... Japanese language sounds cool and funny at the same time.

This is Opeth - the best progressive death metal band EVER.

Vidja-ma-game fanatic mintfresh's Avatar
    I used to lie, when i was 15 or so, I'd say something like classic rock when asked what I was listening to/liked (I do like some of it, but my first answer would be VG music). But now I just tell people. I haven't gotten too many bad reactions, some people liked it, some didn't care. a couple of people thought it was nerdy, but I just said "music is music, we can't help what we like or don't".

I do like to throw people off though, asked what I'm listening to? I usually give the track name, which can sometimes lead to them getting confused, or even "I think I've heard that one", you've heard 'Sanity's Requiem' huh? I didn't know you were into videogame music too! :P
    I don't want to control everything, I simply want people and events to mold themselves to my desires.

The Coyote Knight Joshua Fireseed's Avatar
    -SNIP-
    Last edited by Joshua Fireseed; 12-27-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Onion Kid
    there are all these games with good backing music which i love and soundtracks from tv moves can be good but people think im mad for likeing it case its from a game but o well so i try and introduce it to them as a nameless peice then tell them were its from to try and open their minds but its been mostly unsucsefull so far.

Naa for me dun matter if someone think im crazy for hear that kind of music , i love snes and others consoles music .
    Ive got already 2,4k+ VGM , and i dun stop downloading ^_^, im looking for hokuto no ken 6 (snes) soundtrack someone should tell me where i should find ? i dont has found it here yet =/

not crazy, just weird that i dont like "commercial" (ie, shakira, snoop dog, etc) in the least (except daft punk), just game and anime music.
    like, right now, im hearing my organ solo's album.
    next up, xray dog's and other epic chorus album.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    because if life is a bitch, im gonna make her MY BITCH
    i now legally posess a phd in zombies.

on february 23, 1987, two things happened: the first documentable supernova visible with the human eye, and my birth. in other words, i was blessed by the universe itself. not many can say that

I don't think people who likes video games music is crazy... the people who likes the music from those bands you all listen to are crazy...

To me, I prefer VG music than the music we listen to today. VG music has more sense and better sounds than the trash people listen to today.

Right now I ONLY listen to VG music and yeah people give me looks but I don't give a snot to what people think about me. I'm not the only one who agrees that music today really sucks and prefer the now known as the "oldies" and VG music than the music today.

Onion Kid
    I find it ironic and kinda funny at the same time... we get made fun of, laughed at, eyes rolled at us, etc, but the video game music industry is growing fantastically at exponential rate.

More and more gamers are demanding that the music behind the game not only match, but in many cases, exceed the game itself. But the best part is that these video game companies are answering the call.

I've finally converted my last roommate to VG sound track music and now he can't get enough of it. During my lunch break today I handed off a compilation of my favorite videogame, anime and (just a few) movie soundtrack pieces to my parents. Earlier this week I was showing them some of my favorite pieces and they demanded that I make them a compilation... and my parents HATE video games with a passion.

All I can say is, I'm very happy that there are others like me (especially among these forums) who truly understand the incredible magic found in this music. Who understand that it's more than just repetitive head-bobbing, seat-thumping, bumping and grinding. All music has it's place to be sure, but that stuff can never dream of stirring emotions and evoking such in-depth imagery like video game/anime/movie soundtracks can. Those stirring emotions and in-depth imagery also applies to things like Sonic or Mario Brothers soundtracks. I mean, if you played those as a kid, and listen to the soundtracks now... who isn't taken back 15-20 years to those chilled Saturdays spent trying to get past a lvl in Mario 3 or working out the right strategy in FF2 or something. It's simply... AWESOME!