Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why FFXII Is not Great

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    You're the one who's practically begging me for a blowjob. Thus, your sexuality is the questionable one, Bunky.

Shriner
    Its funny how what you just said sounded almost like I want what your doing to me..

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    Assuming I interpreted your gibberish properly, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm saying that soliciting a blowjob from me makes you a queer. A fag. A fairy. A hershey highwayman. A homosexual.

Knock it off guys...
    I wanna be somebody who can face the things that I've been running from...

Off-topic, but priceless.

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    Not that I didn't find that amusing Prak, but there was a decent debate going on here. You could always take it to PM to tell Cecil he's a worthless fancunt.

Also, I agree with this statement:

"Now, I agree both with Revaninja and Sandal. My first impression of the game was that it is way better than FFX, but as the story progressed, I realized that I was wrong... In my opinion, the storyline is too short and lacked emotions. Most of the time you spend playing is doing the hunts and leveling up (which is preety boring in my opinion). But, since I am against comparing, let's not compare XII to X. "

Think it was Milance that said that. The length of the game is fine in terms of hours. I haven't even finished yet, I'm on the Phon Coast and am 50+ hours in, but far too much of that has simply been fighting enemies and doing hunts. There isn't enough dialogue between characters as has been said. The relationship between certain characters (eg. Fran and Vaan, Basch and Balthier, Penelo and just about everyone) is almost non-existent in some cases and in others very simple.

When a game like is made not to focus on one horrendously evil enemy that needs to be destroyed a la FFVII or FFX, the game becomes centred on the characters rather than the need to eliminate this being. Therefore, in FFXII, the characters needed to be fully detailed, both in terms of their past, development, and goals. I understand the argument about FFXII being all about politics but without decent character development and interaction that isn't enough.

That's my main gripe with FFXII but there are significant gameplay gripes. I'll state the main one which sums up my opinion on FFXII's system. The Licence Board is pretty retarded. Why have the same number of licence points for defeating a Level 30 monster as defeating a Level 2 wolf in the Dalmasca Estersand? It's horrendously open to abuse, since killing 50 wolves to obtain 50 LP is far quicker than killing 50 beasts your own level to obtain the same amount of LP.

Teleporting between Save Crystals makes travel quick and easy too, so if you're at a pinch for LP, you can just pop over to Rabanastre, head out the nearest gate, start killing and within a few minutes hey presto your problem's solved.

This rant is not say that I don't like FFXII, but comparing it to X is wrong. X is the class of the series and outshines XII in nearly every department.

Wow, custom user title, that's amazing... Doggoneus's Avatar
    I agree that the LP system is messed up. LP should be awarded depending on the comparison of a foe's level to the characters average level. So were you to keep killing low level monsters, you would only get 1LP and high level monsters higher LP accordingly. Obviously, you would have to make certain squares on the licence board cost more in terms of LP, but it would drive you to fight higher level monsters for LP instead of grinding lower levels and going back and forward through the same screens (cough dalmasca estersand).

Dragoon in Training crossblades's Avatar
    I actually like this game. Not more than VI, but still I like it. It's actually my 5th favorite FF. My only complaints about this game though is that the License Board should've been bigger and more Technicks should've been added.

ff12=great game... maybe not the best in the series but a great game nontheless.. battle system is fantastic, realistic. good storyline. there is lack of character dvlp. when compared to ff4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10. everything else is really cool. i am at level 45 just got to phon coast with my zodiac spear and 6 demonsbanes . i havent played video games in a while and ff12 has me wanting to play every 2 minutes. i am really into it. those that dont enjoy it first time around should heed the advice ive seen in this thread and give it another go. vaan is essential to the game, without him the adventure wouldnt exist. penelo is however less of a character from what i have seen... i would have preferred one of the guests.. personally..
    Favorite Final Fantasy: FFVI

Currently playing FF12 and loving it.

I'm going to sadly agree. The potential for the characters is amazing. They're all likeable and interesting, but I don't feel for them in the same way I did with the characters in previous Final Fantasy games, especially X. Hopefully if a sequel is released, it will give us a more personal look at the characters.

I also disliked many game play aspects. Although it was a fun novelty to engage the enemies as you would in an action game, I couldn't help but find it too much of a departure from a RPG. Square Enix is toeing the line between action and roleplay, and I don't like the action genre.
    I found levelling up difficult because you had to leave the area to respawn the enemies, rather than having them randomly appear. That meant that rather than loitering in an area where I could gain consistant experience from hard battles, I had to fight, walk out of the area, and re-enter to fight the exact same monsters. Somehow, levelling up became more dull in this game, not less.

I have a million positive things to say about this game, but this is a topic about the flaws of the game.

"Somehow, levelling up became more dull in this game, not less."

I know what you mean. Not only that, but the highest enemy level is 65 or less so leveling up from level 60 is a pain, especially after you finish all of the sidequests. I am currently trying to level up at the Henne Mines (saw the trick at youtube) and it is still sooooo dull.

Seems to me they should have payed more attention to the License Board system and leveling up, instead to the looks of the game.

Wow, custom user title, that's amazing... Doggoneus's Avatar
    If in XIII they did keep the same battle system, merged the two different themes for the storyline (the whole politics thing was a nice change but it needed something more, maybe more of a romance angle tied into it would have been better) with decent areas to train al the way to level 99, so that the story could still be completed at about lvl50 but there were still loads of places to explore and train, get rare items etc.

I think XII is a great game but there's always room for improvement, the licence board was a bit of a let down because it was so easy to complete, and also to make more use of quickenings and summonings as I didnt feel the need to use them at all really. Again, if these acted like the overdrives and summons in X it would be better.

Shriner
    My main criticisms of this game stem from the idea that they decided to revolutionize the gameplay, but they didn't quite "go all the way."

For example, the Gambit system. It's awesome, I enjoy it a lot. However, they should have added another level of complexity. I want to be able to "program" my characters to do more sophisticated things. Like, only attack an enemy with Flare if he's weak to Fire AND I have >>80% MP. And only use AOE magic if there are 3 or more enemies in range. And so on.

And they should have let us use all 6 party members at once. There is no reason why they had to have a 3 member party with the gambit system in place!! Think of all the cool things you could do with that many gambit slots available at once. As it is, with 3 members you don't even really need gambits (you can micro everything if you want to). 6 members would have made the game 2x as exciting to play.

Other than Steal and Expose, Technicks were useless. Lure should have been a technick not a spell. Overall, there should have been some reason to explore that part of the board (well other than the quickening slots). What about things like Jump, or abilities that improve your stats for a short time, or something? It's like they tacked on technicks without thinking about it at all. They could basically have just put in all the Job Abilities from FFXI and that would have been enough. This would have also allowed you to really customize your party much more than is now possible.

In short, the gameplay was awesome and I liked all the changes they made, but it could have been sooo much better if they'd just gone the extra mile. As it is it kind of feels rushed and incomplete.

I've never found it so difficult to level up in any roleplay game I've ever played, which is causing me great frustration. It's stopping me from really appreciating the game. I also agree that they made the Licence Board too easy to complete, and would have liked more Espers and Quickenings. One of my favourite Final Fantasy features are the various summons.

Onion Kid
    This probably won't earn me too many friends in here, but I am pretty much in agreement with the original post. FFXII tries to take far too much onto its plate and abandons a cohesive narrative in favor of an ill-conceived political drama. This is to be expected from the FFT team, but even with their involvement there was far too much going on for the pieces to be properly assembled.

All in all, I was greatly disappointed with the game. The battle system, while at first unique and refreshing, quickly lost its appeal - with a minimum of effort, I could allow the gambits to pretty much finish out any battle for me. I was able to finish off one of the later espers without once picking up the controller after initiating combat.

I don't hate it, not by any means, and it easily slams down 99% of the competition. However, when faced with a choice between this and Persona 3 or Suikoden V, I have to give the nod to either of the latter, if only for a more enjoyable story.

I agree with agentXIII
    while I play final fantasy religiously I can't even stay interested in XII long enough to get through I'm all for a political story but the characters have to have better interaction why would soldier's and pirates let two kids stay involved in their affairs? I mean a kid with no warrior training is just going to get in the way

and the battle system in this one is pathetic I gave it a chance and it failed miserably. its auto battle that you have to set why didn't they just go on and set it up so all we had to do was move the characters around and they take care of the rest. I would have been much happier with a kingdom hearts type of battle system at least that would have been entertaining

and as to personal taste I want go back to how six was done a bunch of controllable characters and well done art for enemies

Zak
    lol revivng nine month old threads

While I'm here I'd like to say I even liked X-2's story a fair bit more than XII's.

Onion Kid
    Everything you said I agree with. I was severely disappointed with F XII, not least because of the music Oh wellz. The storyline seemed so diluted; yeah, it was a good storyline but it used to take forever to progress it.

I like Dinosaurs :3 Rainbow Boogers's Avatar
    The storyline and characters doesn't make FFXII great. It's the gameplay. The game had an MMO feel to it. I like that, since random battles were so annoying.

Apparently, the game was suppose to be much darker. Basch was going to be the main character ( notice he has more of a story than the rest of the characters ). To attract a more younger fan base, they added Vaan and Penelo. You can tell that these characters were added late into the development, because they don't have a story, nor do they say much of anything. Vaan has a little story, but we know diddly squat about Penelo.

However, Penelo was a great white mage.
    SO IT GOES

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123