Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anywhere good to train

FFS vincent aint turkish Chaos-R3aper's Avatar

anywhere good to train

ummm i only just started playing ffxii and im upto the part where you gotta go to some guys temple and get spme shard thingo.anyways im finding it too hard at the sandsea where those little guys come along.its not that i cant kill them its just that they always do major damage for the next 1 to kill me so are there any good places to train at all???
    Wakka:Boom! Like happy festival fireworks, ya?
    Rikku:You can cram your happy festival, you big meanie!

thanks to UltimateFFFan for the sig

Wait it out in the Sandsea, those little guys will give you loads of EXP at that stage and you'll eventually be good enough to resist their numerical advantage. Plus they're great for chains.

any of the big plains man
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Blues-Rock - Just trying to get some hard working musicians attention.

Try going back to Rabanastre and doing some hunts/upgrading your equipment. You'll get Vossler a little way into the Sandsea, and he should keep you safe while you gather exp.

Vossler is the shit!!!!! But he takes a quarter of the experience so if your strong enough on your own its better to kill him off yourself so as to get experience for your permanent characters!!
    Strength without determination means nothing, and determination without strength is equally useless"
    Godo- Final Fantasy VII

Neg
    Oh how I cannot stand Vossler (in specific). I loathe guest characters (even though I honestly love Larsa and Reddas) simply because they will break your chains in a heartbeat.

So it is instant and repeated death for them.

Die, guest characters Die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knegative View Post
    Oh how I cannot stand Vossler (in specific). I loathe guest characters (even though I honestly love Larsa and Reddas) simply because they will break your chains in a heartbeat.

So it is instant and repeated death for them.
    I don't understand the hate for the guest characters; they were always hitting for damage than my main party, and I couldn't have won the Demon Wall battle without Vossler.

Because, guest characters always mess up chains, and also they take a quarter of the experience

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samonasuke View Post
    Vossler is the shit!!!!! But he takes a quarter of the experience.
    No, he doesn't. Guests don't accumulate EXP.

Also, Knegative, guests in general rule. Larsa in particular. And I managed a 200-chain in the Sandsea despite Vossler very much being around. If you don't want your guests to break your chains, flee from foes who you aren't trying to chain.

The only problem with guests-their HP levels are generally awful. I think a seperate License Board for each guest would have been appropriate, personally.

Actually they do take a quarter of the experience,

I never said that they accumulate and lvl up, thats just not the case!

But they do take a quarter of the experience.

Actually they do take a quarter of the experience,

I never said that they accumulate and lvl up, thats just not the case!

But they do take a quarter of the experience.
    You may be right, but I did a run through the Sandsea yesterday with Vossler for the story bit, and then without him to hunt the Wyvern Lord, and I noticed no difference in the EXP I was getting.

Neg
    Because I leveled as long as I always did, guest characters always sucked compared to my guys. Sure, they'd be similarly leveled, but they just didn't cut it.

And why should I have to run everytime I come across a non-chain enemy, when I can just set up my gambits for Foe: Party Leader's Target and just manually attack an enemy with Penelo, allowing the others to follow suit? It's a little bit more effort, but it almost assures that I won't screw up a chain, and if I do, it's my fault. Can't tell you how many times a guest character has killed a non-chain enemy when I wasn't paying attention.

Their miniscule help is nothing compared to the problems they caused me.

I reiterate, Death to guest characters.

Because I leveled as long as I always did, guest characters always sucked compared to my guys. Sure, they'd be similarly leveled, but they just didn't cut it.

And why should I have to run everytime I come across a non-chain enemy, when I can just set up my gambits for Foe: Party Leader's Target and just manually attack an enemy with Penelo, allowing the others to follow suit? It's a little bit more effort, but it almost assures that I won't screw up a chain, and if I do, it's my fault. Can't tell you how many times a guest character has killed a non-chain enemy when I wasn't paying attention.

Those of us that don't grind insanely and do every hunt and sidequest (though I'm working on that now) found them highly useful, especially Larsa.

The Elder Wyrm would have kicked ten tonnes of sh*t into me if it weren't for Larsa keeping me alive with his unlimited stock of Hi-Potions and X-Potions.

FFShrine Sig Maker UltimateFFFan's Avatar

iirc, you can't set up gambits for Guest characters

Neg
    That's my point. If I could, I wouldn't have any problems.

So to be clear:

Guests Dead, my guys gambits set up for Foe: Party Leaders Target.

Your characters technically cant be higher than your guest characters levels because they dont have a set level, the way it goes is as follows:

Amalia (ashe): Average level of your two highest level characters +1
    Basch (whens hes a guest): Average level of your two highest level characters +2
    Lamont/Larsa: Average level of your two highest level characters +2
    Vossler: Average level of your two highest level characters +4
    Reddas:Average level of your two highest level characters +2

There you go, it is almost physically imposible ( unless you only level up 1 character) to have a guest character lower levels then you.

However Im not saying they are not weaker, because in general with the exception of vossler, they are weaker.

Neg
    Sure, they'd be similarly leveled, but they just didn't cut it.

Sure, they'd be similarly leveled, but they just didn't cut it.
    However Im not saying they are not weaker, because in general with the exception of vossler, they are weaker.
    Never said they did cut it

Just explainin to anyone wondering how the level scheme works

Neg
    I only quoted that in case you were leveling the "it's almost impossible to have lower level characters than you" at me.

You guys are entitled to your opinions, and I apologize if it came off like I had to be right in the matter. I just responded to each rebuttle and question.

No hard feelings

FFS vincent aint turkish Chaos-R3aper's Avatar
    what are chains for???........??????

Neg
    They increase the number of drops you get from a certain enemy (or enemy type, but that's a whole discussion unto itself), and what they actually drop. You get better items from them depending on your chain level.

Well personally i found the guest characters ashe and larsa to be the only good ones. Vossler is useless and i couldve done good even without him

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow mage View Post
    Well personally i found the guest characters ashe and larsa to be the only good ones. Vossler is useless and i couldve done good even without him
    Most people could have done fine without any of them imho.

Just in case some people dont know, guest cahracters do actually have gambits, but they arent in your control and you cant see them. You can find them online somewhere if you want to know what they are or if you cant find them pm and ill tell ya!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast