Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VIII Twenty One

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    This is the end of Round Two. That means that both of our players have a chance to stop the game. If either of you would like to stop, just post it here. Remember, only stop if you think there's a good chance you're in the lead. If you would not like to stop, please PM me within 18 hours saying you'd like to continue.

Would either of you like to stop the game?

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

Whew. Okay, finally...

... ... ...

Agent0042: Okay, going for a three-point question on Historic Game Events. You have eighteen, this would put you at your desired total of 21.

After a series of adventures, Laguna Loire surprisingly ended up becoming the president of an entire nation. That nation is:

A.) Esthar
    B.) Galbadia
    C.) Trabia

Mr. Jack: A.) Esthar

Agent0042: You're correct, and you've just won Final Fantasy VIII Twenty One and 250000 gil! ... Swedish Fish, come on out of your booth. I'm sorry to tell you, your opponent has won the game. You struck out, unfortunately, but nobody leaves empty-handed. Here's 1,000 gil!

I'll post the full summary of the game later this evening, but until then, let's begin Final Fantasy VIII Perfect Twenty One. Mr Jack --- here's how it's going to work. I'm going to ask you a series of true/false questions on the same category, starting at 1 point and 10000 gil and rising to as much as 6 points and 60000 gil. You can get out at any time after the first question, but if you risk it and lose, you lose everything you earned to that point. Except the 25000 gil. We're not touching that.

Okay, the category is GFs. For one point, and 10000 gil...

True/False - The term "GF" stands for "Guardian Fury."

For The Love Of God... ...I NEED SPAM Mr Jack's Avatar
    that would be false....guardian force i do believe

Thanks to Mr Monkey Man for a Great Sig!

Correct

Guardian Force it is indeed. Reasonably easy one to start you out. Would you like to risk that 10,000 gil for another question and a shot at 20,000 more?

MenAce
    Agent0042: This is a trivia game, not a help thread. If you want to sign up, say that you're interested in playing, and you'll be added to the list. Or rather, you would be if you qualified under the rules (which are back on the first page of the thread), but you don't currently.

Okay, here's the summary of that last match:

Agent0042: Welcome to the game! Let's get started right away. The category for the first round is Galbadia Garden. How many points on a question about Galbadia Garden?
    Swedish Fish: I'll try a five point question to start out.
    Agent0042: Okay, starting conversatively with a five point question:

At Galbadia Garden, the party learns about the supposed execution of which of the following characters?

A.) Raijin
    B.) Seifer
    C.) Watts

Swedish Fish: That would be B.) Seifer.
    Agent0042: And you're correct for five points. ... Mr Jack, welcome to Final Fantasy VIII Twenty One! Let's get started right away. The category for the first round is Galbadia Garden. How many points on a question about Galbadia Garden?
    Mr Jack: I'm going to try seven points on Galbadia Garden.
    Agent0042: Going for seven points on Galbadia Garden...

Galbadia Garden's headmaster, Martine, ends up in what town and carries which Tetra Master card if you lose it to General Caraway?

A.) Winhill and Shiva
    B.) Fisherman's Horizon and Ifrit
    C.) Balamb Town and Ifrit
    D.) Deling City and Shiva

Mr Jack: That would be b - 100% sure - im a big fan of Tetra Master.
    Agent0042: Correct, for seven points! ... Okay, Swedish Fish, your category for the second round is The World Map. How many points on a question related to The World Map?
    Swedish Fish: I'll go for six.
    Agent0402: Okay, a six-point question, which would bring you up to eleven.

The World Map contains many secret Draw Points. Although they can be found throughout the world, most of these draw points are located on the Islands Closest to Heaven and Hell. But which island has more draw points?

A.) The Island Closest to Heaven
    B.) The Island Closest to Hell
    C.) Both islands have an equal amount of draw points.

Swedish Fish I'll say C.) Both islands have an equal amount of draw points. I've really only used the islands for leveling, but this sounds about right.
    Agent0042: No, I'm sorry, the correct answer was actually B.) The Island Closest to Hell. It's larger and has more draw points. You still have five points, but one strike now. ... Mr Jack, your category this time is The World Map. How many points in this category?
    Mr Jack: I'll Try 8 points this time, please.
    Agent0042: All right, an eight point question, that would bring you to fifteen points.

Of the following locations, which is the only one that is accessible without the Ragnarok?

A.) Cactuar Island
    B.) Dollet - Long Horn Island
    C.) Deep Sea Research Center
    D.) Island Closest to Hell

Mr Jack: I'll try Cactuar Island because you can reach it via chocobo.
    Agent0042: No, I'm sorry, to my knowledge, you can't get to Cactuar Island via chocobo. You might be thinking of Esthar - Kashkabald Desert, which you can get to just by walking. The correct answer was Dollet's Long Horn Island. You have one strike and seven points.
    Mr Jack: Hmm, okay, I must be wrong then, oops, I was thinkin of when you can get the Ragnarok on Disc 4 by walking to a chocobo forest north of Esthar and maneuvering through the shallow waters to get to the Ragnarok, which is on Cactuar Island.
    Agent0042: No, just to clarify, the Cactuar Island is surrounded entirely by sea. I'm almost certain the Ragnarok is found on Disc 4 within Esthar's Kashkabald Desert, where you can encounter cactuars, hence the confusion. ... ... Okay, this is the end of Round Two. Right now, both of your booths are open. In just a second, I'm going to give both of you a chance to stop the game. Remember, please only stop the game if you think you're in the lead. .... ... Would either of you like to stop the game? ... ... No? Okay, we'll continue. ... Swedish Fish, your category this time is Quistis Trepe. How many points in that category?
    Swedish Fish: I'll go for six again.
    Agent0042: Okay, six points on Quistis Trepe...

Which of the following is one of Quistis's Blue Magics?

A.) 1000 Needles
    B.) Acid
    C.) Pandora's Box

Swedish Fish: Ah, I know this one. It's A.) 1000 Needles.
    Agent0042: No, I'm sorry. It was actually Acid. Quistis never learns 1000 Needles, GF Cactuar has that ability. I'm afraid that's your second strike. ... Mr Jack, we're continuing with Round Three. The category this time is Quistis Trepe. How many points in that category?
    Mr Jack: 7 points.
    Agent0042: How many years before being told she had "failed an instructor" and becoming a member of SeeD did Quistis get her instructor license?

A.) One Year
    B.) Two Years
    C.) Two and Half Years
    D.) Three Years

Mr Jack: I'm going for B.) Two Years. It's just a rough guess and I may be wrong.
    Agent0042: No, I'm sorry, it was actually only A.) One Year before Quistis's fated conversation with Squall in the "secret area" that she got her instructor license. That's your second strike. ... Well, Swedish Fish, you're at two strikes. You're not completely out of it yet, but you're hanging on by a thread. Your category for this fourth round is Notable Sidequests. How many points on this category?
    Swedish Fish: Four points on this one, please.
    Agent0042: All right, Notable Sidequests, for four points:

In the chocobo sidequest, the ChocoKid gives you two tools to use. Those are:

A.) ChocoSonar and ChocoZiner
    B.) ChocoCaller and ChocoBop
    C.) ChocoWhis and ChocoLute

Swedish Fish: I remember a "Siner", so I'll say A.) ChocoSonar and ChocoZiner.
    Agent0042: That's correct, and you're now up to nine points! ... Mr Jack, you currently have seven points and two strikes, so you're not quite out of this yet. Still a shot you could hang in there. Your next category is Notable Sidequests, how many points do you want to play for?
    Mr Jack: I'm gonna go for broke and choose maximum points, 11. Even if I don't know it, it might help other people who play the game to understand how hard maximum is....so lets have it.
    Agent0042: Wow. Going all out with an 11 point question on the category of Notable Sidequests. That would bring you up to eighteen points. Remember, with an 11 point question, there are five answer choices and two of them are correct, so you have to get both correct in order to get the points:

In the Obel Lake sidquest, a creature at the lake gives you a series of clues to find treasures. There are many clues, but which two of the following five are not actual clues that this creature gives?

A.) "Take some time off at Eldbeak Peninsula."
    B.) "What I wouldn't give to break near the sands of heaven."
    C.) "Mr. Monkey had a rock like this I think..."
    D.) "Once upon a time, I found a trinket in the world's coldest forest."
    E.) "Back in the day, south of here, there used to be a small but beautiful village surrounded by deep forests. Everyone lived a happy life there."

Mr Jack: Ok, lets break this one down.... I know A is real because i was a dumbass then and had to look up the term peninsula to understand what it was.... I also have an inklink that E is real because it sound kind of familiar... that leaves B,C and D.. Im going to go with D and B, because C sounds logically relevant to this sidequest....Though, having said that, im starting to think you may have snuck a sly answer in there.....If that be the case...i accept defeat gracefully....
    Agent0042: Your logic and instincts paid off! You're correct and you've made it up to eighteen points! ... Swedish Fish, your category now is Historic Game Events. How many points for this category?
    Swedish Fish: Six, please.
    Agent0042: Okay, trying a six point question on Historic Game Events to bring you up to fifteen.

Julia's death was caused by:

A.) Suicide - She took her own life.
    B.) Car crash
    C.) Illness

Swedish Fish: I believe that was C.) Illiness.
    Agent0042: No, I'm sorry. Not very dramatic. It was actually a car crash that caused her death. Well, I'm afraid that's three strikes. You're out of the game. However, I must inform you that your opponent could also still strike out in this round. If that happened, neither of you would be champion and we would move on to two new players. ... ... Mr Jack, your category for this round is Historic Game Events. You've made it to eighteen points, so you only need three to win.
    Mr Jack: Then let's make it a three point question.
    Agent0042: For three points, and possibly the game:

After a series of adventures, Laguna Loire surprisingly ended up becoming the president of an entire nation. That nation is:

A.) Esthar
    B.) Galbadia
    C.) Trabia

Mr. Jack: A.) Esthar
    Agent0042: You're correct, and I have good news! Your opponent has struck out --- you're our champion; you've just won 25,000 gil!

*yay* - ill have another go!

All right, another go at the category of GFs, playing for an additional two points and 20,000 gil...

True/False - Diablos is the only GF that can learn the valuable abilities Enc-Half and Enc-None.

Ill go for True....and i wont be able to reply until tommorow so ill quit while im ahead if am right!

Thanx for a good game anyways Agent!

Correct

That is true, so you finish Perfect Final Fantasy VIII Twenty One with an additional 30,000 gil to add to your winnings! Not bad! I've already sent out a PM to a couple of people on the list, so I'm waiting to hear back if they're available to play.

Okay, everyone, we've got a new game going! IDX Rider is up against Mr Jack as he defends his championship in the hope of winning more gil than any player in Final Fantasy Shrine game show history! IDX Rider seems to identify with Squall from Final Fantasy VIII. According to his profile, he hails from "Nowhere" and has no interests and is unemployed. A true nihilist, to be sure. He's been with us on the Shrine since about mid-last-year.

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    I knew I should've picked a different form of "nothing" for my occupation!

Well, it's that time again, the end of the second round. Would either of you like to stop the game?

P.S.: I really need more people to play, if anyone is interested in signing up, please do let me know here.

As I'm eligible, I shall give it a go. My FFVIII knowledge isn't quite up to par though, but it seems fun!

So sign me up!!!
    Kid: When I grow up, I wanna be a blitzball!

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo!!!

Excellent, sure! You're in. I'll add you to the list.

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    Yup. I'd like to keep going.

IDX Rider --- your opponent has just struck out! Congratulations, you're the new champion!

I'll post the full results of the game later. Right now, it's time to begin Perfect Final Fantasy VIII Twenty One. Remember, it's six true/false questions, each with a point value moving up to 6 and each point representing 10000 gil. You can stop at any point after the first question, but if you continue and you get it wrong, you lose everything you earned up to that point in Perfect FFVIII Twenty One, but not the 25000 gil you earned for winning your first game.

The category this time is Music. First question, true/false:

The closing song of the game, "Eyes on Me" is performed by Emiko Shiratori.

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    That would be false. The woman who sang that song is Faye Wong.

And that's correct, for 10000 gil. Did you want to continue in this category and try another question for 20000 gil (bringing the total to 30000)?

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    Sure. I think I can have another go with the music category .

Wonderful! For an additional 20000 gil then, here's another true/false:

The tune "The Landing" is only heard in one sequence in Final Fantasy VIII.

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    That would also be false. They play it during the Garden Battle.

And you're correct once again, bringing you to 30000 gil! Try your luck with yet another one?

(P.S.: I don't have time to post the results of the game tonight, but I almost certainly should be able to get it posted tomorrow. "Results" meaning the full summary of the questions/answers, etc.)

IDX
    Silent Shriner #0
    Doesn't bother me. Let's do it.

Neat. Let's try another then, for 30000 gil to bring the total 60000 gil.

True/false:

Final Fantasy VIII has two chocobo themes --- "Mods de Chocobo" (played while riding a chocobo) and the less well-known "Odeka de Chocobo."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast