Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Official FFVII Remake Thread

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar

The Official FFVII Remake Thread

They've finally done it, FFVII Remake is officially confirmed for PS4 (and apparently later Xbone and possibly PC):

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Accordingly, although I'm now revoking this site's long-standing policy of no discussion about a FFVII remake as it's now official, I don't want to see a billion threads all going on about how great this is going to be. Hence make all discussion related to the remake in this thread please.
    enkffxisig-new-small

Grand Shriner Leon Scott Kennedy's Avatar
    I hope they don't screw it up too much. Rather curious to know which kind of battle-system it will use; I can't wait to see screens of Yuffie, either.

Gonna buy again a PS4.
    Music sharing is about sharing music; it's not an exclusive club to which only superhuman, more-ego-than-brains audiophiles can join; it's about getting people to hear music.

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    They'll fuck it up. Retconning the Compilation in and all the other shit, Nomura will fuck it up.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

This post has awakened my account here.

If it comes out and there's consensus that it's amazing, I'll get a PS4 and the game. Right now, I'm actually more excited about Cuphead. But I think remaking it is an intriguing idea.

VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - Currently WORLD OF WARCRAFT songs and ZELDA songs
    VGM [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Onion Kid
    I am looking so much forward to this! Then I heard this today: "if you love FFVII you don't want this remake, because you don't need or want them to make it any different than what it was."

My view on this is that
    it is OK if they mess it up completely,
    it's cool if it becomes an inferior rip off,
    it's awesome of it's decent.
    Because what it is, is a fan service allowing me to look at the world I love so much and revisit the characters I became so attached to from a different angle. And I will still have the original as the original unsullied by any mess they may make. And if they by some miracle make it everything we could only dream of, I will soak myself in tears of joy and rainbows!

So far, the one thing I want the most, is that they keep the feeling and 'taste' of Midgar and the surrounding world. And from what I saw in the trailer FMV they do.

So yeah, I'm allowing myself to be hyped!
    XD

Ultros' New Sidekick JohnnyMercyside's Avatar
    I can't wait to be honest but they'll never please everyone; some fans will want as much of the original retained as possible but it'll never work that way
    Ikkeheltvanlig likes this.
    "You don't need a reason to help people."

Check out my DJ shows! [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Hopefully it won't be as boring as the original.

I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

the great eye is ever watchful...

Kie
    Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. *fingers crossed*

The Worst Meme before Meme Culture DE GRANDE FREAK's Avatar
    I'm pretty hype about this remake...I wanted it before I knew I wanted it. I wonder what's gonna happen with the materia system and potential improvements.
    Last edited by DE GRANDE FREAK; 07-01-2015 at 10:19 PM. Reason: I had an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidoh View Post
    I don't want to see a billion threads all going on about how great this is going to be.
    Wishful thinking. :P

Seriously though, this is so long overdue that I've completely lost whatever interest I might have had. It's been nearly 20 years and all the kids/teens who made AngelFire websites with the moniker XxXSephirothXxX back in the day are in their early to mid-thirties now. If it had been ten years ago, when everyone and their mother was talking about it potentially happening, that would be one thing. But now I feel it's too little too late. I know I can only speak for myself, but for me personally, it's irrelevant. Only a fan remake could ever do it justice. But it seems even SE knows this is probably their last chance at potentially winning back their lost audience, if only temporarily. It will never recapture what FFVII did... it's just another cash-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Revan View Post
    They'll fuck it up.
    Indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1982_tarheels View Post
    Reddas is the guy who got his brains blown out by Travolta in the backseat of Jules' car.

Paladin-Knight of Planeptune Dumbrarere's Avatar
    What's with all the negativity? My bro and I are hyped about this. Who doesn't want to see the best scenes from the original game in HD?

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbrarere View Post
    What's with all the negativity? My bro and I are hyped about this. Who doesn't want to see the best scenes from the original game in HD?
    Because it's not needed. If you can't be bothered to play the original on PSX, that's your problem. The game was good, but does not deserve all the hype it's been heaped with, and it does NOT need all the compilation. Hironobu Sakaguchi always intended each FF to be complete and whole as a standalone... NOT as part of a compilation.

I agree that it's not needed but I also believe that lots of people will want to see it. So it may not be necessary but it certainly will be a massive talking point in the video gaming regardless of if people are excited for it, find it overhyped, find it a waste of time or think it'll flop. It's got people talking and it'll make lots of money... and hopefully be critically acclaimed in its own right, regardless of the changes to the original game

I don't have high hopes. I'll hold out for the PC port and if the PS4 version has really impressed people I'll give it a go, but the room for error is vast. Square-Enix is a joke of the company that crafted the original Final Fantasy 7, and they will rush this in spite of it promising to outsell anything they've done in the past decade.

The Worst Meme before Meme Culture DE GRANDE FREAK's Avatar
    It's like "burr hurr compilations are bad deviations from original are unacceptable must...be...stand alone.". I mean that's your prerogative and I like the individual universes in each final fantasy but there are compilations for a reason and obviously, to a lot of people, VII has merited a rather extensive compilation! I'm just shivering with antici. . .pation. maybe then they can focus on more compilations for other games...like extending the ivalice alliance (stopping there; this is VII, not XII). I'm sure those guys at square enix got priorities after all.
    You can't kill a meme
    -Me, probably

Quote Originally Posted by DE GRANDE FREAK View Post
    maybe then they can focus on more compilations for other games...like extending the ivalice alliance (stopping there; this is VII, not XII). I'm sure those guys at square enix got priorities after all.
    Or maybe they can make a good standalone game? You know, the kind that Square did? Would be a nice change of pace from forcing their crap down people's throats by making terrible sequel after terrible sequel and capitalizing on successful works before their merge.
    Darth Revan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olde View Post
    Or maybe they can make a good standalone game? You know, the kind that Square did? Would be a nice change of pace from forcing their crap down people's throats by making terrible sequel after terrible sequel and capitalizing on successful works before their merge.
    Couldn't of said it any better myself.

Grand Shriner
    Bravely Default was received well and that was a standalone. Besides, trying to guess what any Japanese games developers will do is a thankless and impossible task (hell, we're even getting Shenmue 3, and I never would have thought that would happen! But hey, so long as I can still play Space Harrier down the arcades...)

Square Enix are not immune to the calamity that is engulfing and has basically wiped out the Japanese home console scene. The japs just aren't into console gaming any more, so their developers are winning most of their bread by publishing other people's games right now. Square have published all sorts of stuff in the last few years (Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider, and they're even springing for smaller indieish projects like Life is Strange which DontNod were having a hard time selling to anyone else).

So I think its quite unfair to get on their case quite so much. The realities of the Japanese console market mean we can't expect as many original IP games to be developed by the Japs as we're used to anymore. They've got to keep the lights on somehow, and that means publishing games by others which they feel will be hits, and getting their own development teams to focus on what promises to bring in the bacon. Which for them is obviously Final Fantasy, as it is still one of the only truly global franchises.

Basically, being a Japanese games developer/publisher is not a desirable job right about now. The whole landscape of their home industry is being terraformed around them, and uncertainty is the touch of the reaper's scythe to any business. Times have changed, the old rules don't apply anymore, particularly for Japanese developers and publishers.

So throwing out 'helpful' suggestions like 'Oh, why don't they just make some great games?' isn't going to solve anything. Not that it was ever that easy (heck, Final Fantasy got its name from the fact that it was Hironobu's last ditch throw of the dice, before he would be forced to pack in video games development if it wasn't a hit), but the current state of the Jap games market means you look to survive first, and any thoughts of great innovation and inspiration will have to wait. At least until the market stabilizes and the companies at least know what kind of products they need and in what format they should be delivering them,

Because in Japan, all of that is in disarray at the moment with the collapse of traditional console gaming.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 07-09-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    JohnnyMercyside likes this.

No component for a good game depends on the state of the market or shifts of the industry. A good story, script, gameplay, art design, music...none of those are dependent on a specific way of the market. So I don't buy this excuse that they can't make good games because of "the current state of Jap games market," and I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for them simply because the industry is shifting away from where they have succeeded in the past. When the industry or environment changes, you either work hard to re-establish yourself, shift your focus to something you can succeed at, or you go the way of the dinosaurs. Sorry, them's the breaks. If S-E has moved on to publishing, that's fine, they can be a publisher. That's probably where they're best at. But they're trying to have the best of both worlds by publishing and trying to develop games that are simply capitalizing on previous successes. With their track record of putting out shitty game after shitty game, I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt that the FF7 remake will break that track record nor will they gain my sympathy just because the economy or industry is bad for them. I've been there myself, but I didn't use that as an excuse to lower my own standards.

And frankly you're missing the point. S-E's standards of what makes a good game just don't cut it. That has nothing to do with the collapse of traditional console gaming. They just don't care.

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Well, personally on one hand I admit I am very cynical about this, that it is guaranteed to be retconned to pieces in order to shoehorn the stupid Compilation into it. On the other hand, given how well FFXIV was rebooted into A Realm Reborn (which is definitely SE's best game in, well a very long time,and thoroughly deserving of it's praise), I am cautiously and quietly optimistic that this isn't a FFXIII-style trainwreck.

Having said that.... this pretty much sums it up:

Grand Shriner
    Olde, you cannot really believe all that, can you? They aren't making good games... because they don't want to???!! So... they want to make bad games, do they? Or they just want to make money? Well, that I can believe, because that's what all businesses want. I've said many, many times that true inspiration is like lightning in a bottle. You can't know when it will hit, when you will have someone of true genius who can do this. And even then, trusting them implicitly to always deliver is an extremely dangerous policy. Moreover, you cannot know how a project will turn out until it is already underway. If the magic clicks and you end up with real gem on your hands, that's the dream scenario. But it rarely ever happens. It doesn't make all the other games that get made into bad games, but you are making the process of creating a great game sound *far* simpler than it actually is.

If it was that easy to make great games, then why doesn't everyone do it? Why is the industry so scared and risk averse, that it keeps pumping out sequels and reboots? Answer - because it isn't that easy. Games costs eye watering amounts to make, and one costly mistake can break even the biggest company (look how long it took SE to recover after Spirits Within for example). People might bitch and moan about sequels, but they buy them. By the boatload. And they don't buy new IP games. Release 2 games, and slap the logo Final Fantasy on one of them. Same game, same packaging, but one doesn't have the FF logo. The FF one will be top 10, probably at No.1 on release week. The other game won't get into the top 40.

To say that the realities of the industry and consumer buying habits and trends, what formats they are using etc, don't matter? What planet are you living on?

Companies make products because they want to sell them. To do this, they need to make products which people want, and which people will buy (because they aren't always the same thing). A game being high quality is no guarantee of anything, if it is something the public will not buy. And the Japs are (reletively speaking of course) not buying console games of any description these days. If I make a fantasic football, the greatest, roundest, bounciest and all around greatest ball ever that is a joy to play with, I'm not going to sell very many of them if everyone is playing snooker, am I?

Great games flop all the time, and it certainly isn't because they lacked quality. In an ideal world, games like Ico, Psychonauts, Persona 3, Valkyria Chronicles etc would have been smash hits. But they weren't, because they aren't what people were buying at those times.

And for the record, my opinion on this remake is unchanged from what its always been. I think its a bad idea, because unless it is 10,000% perfect, the most legitmately, indisputably amazing game you have EVER played, then they will be *buried* by fan backlash. Because everyone has their own opinion on what should and absolutely should not be in the remake, all these opinions contradict each other, and there are many people who regardless of quality will never, ever, ever admit that it has any merit whatsoever, because it just isn't in their DNA to be support it over the original.

But they *will* all (despite what they will claim) buy it. And at the end of the day, that is evidently good enough for SE to open themselves up to the limit breaking ferocity of its fans old and new. You think people hate on them now? But you haven't seen anything yet...
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 07-10-2015 at 06:03 PM.

What's funny about what Vrykolas is saying (which I completely agree with) is that this is EXACTLY what happened with FF7.

FF7 wasn't the "perfect" game. It had flaws. Lots of considerable flaws. It's not the best looking game, it's not their best battle system, it's not their best storyline even... in my opinion anyway. But all the components came together as one at the right place at the right time, and all that "lightning was bottled", in Olde's words, when it came to FF7.
    Last edited by JohnnyMercyside; 07-11-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Grand Shriner
    Er... not that Olde doesn't have many fine views across many threads, but wasn't it... well... me who said those things, Johnny?

Plus to another Olde's points, I simply don't accept that they have been releasing shitty game after shitty game. FF12, FF13-2 and Bravely Default are great games IMO. On the publishing side, the Tomb Raider remake, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Life is Strange are all very good games. And that's just off the top of my head.

You may not agree, and that's your lookout. Everyone has their own opinion. My own is that they are doing okay. I would like to see a legitimately great game from them sooner rather than later, but I always want great games. Don't we all? I don't single them out for blame in lean times. Its simply a pretty barren time in gaming, and I don't think that its any coincidence that its happening at a time when Japan's console market is struggling.

We need Jap developers to get their groove back. The industry just isn't the same without them.
    Last edited by Vrykolas; 07-10-2015 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrykolas View Post
    Er... not that Olde doesn't have many fine views across many threads, but wasn't it... well... me who said those things, Johnny?

Plus to another Olde's points, I simply don't accept that they have been releasing shitty game after shitty game. FF12, FF13-2 and Bravely Default are great games IMO. On the publishing side, the Tomb Raider remake, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Life is Strange are all very good games. And that's just off the top of my head.

You may not agree, and that's your lookout. Everyone has their own opinion. My own is that they are doing okay. I would like to see a legitimately great game from them sooner rather than later, but I always want great games. Don't we all? I don't single them out for blame in lean times. Its simply a pretty barren time in gaming, and I don't think that its any coincidence that its happening at a time when Japan's console market is struggling.

We need Jap developers to get their groove back. The industry just isn't the same without them.
    Haha, oops, it was you I meant to make reference to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast