Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did it start for you?

I had just started high school. Bought the game for a steal off of a mate...... then disappeared for a week.
    Never be clear still like pond
    Always be wisp like cloud
    No substance but fierce storm rage

jen' jari iv tave sith Darth Revan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoMessi10 View Post
    well it started for me when i played FFVII dirge of cerberus, and after that i got into FFVII and most of FF
    Wait... Dirge of Shiterus was the first you played? My condolences for playing a shitty game which rewrote Vincent's origin story, made by a group of idiots who had nothing at all to do with the original.

The Code of the Sith
    Nw l kash zo tash antai kash tik sh sot.
    Pro sh sot nu gauti ty k
    Pro ty k nu gauti midwan
    Pro midwan nu gauti pergaleas
    Pro pergaleas nuyak aras svistuis
    Tave qy sik sekleti won nun

[Hidden link. Register to see links.]

honestly I remember being at walmart(?) not long after the release and being that i wasnt ever allowed to buy many videogames, this one stood out because hello...3 disks! "what value!", i convinced my mom. i had seen one commercial prior, had no idea what an rpg was or what it was about. it was even on sale! started it up and i was honestly confused haha. it looked great when movies were playing and like shat otherwise. but i fell in love with everything. i was horrible at it. the brady guide followed and it took me longer than any game i had ever played to beat. everything about the game stuck to me, to this day its my favorite game. flaws and all. heck im listening to the ost as i type.

Grand Shriner
    I played the original ff7 and was hyped.

Shriner
    It all started for me back in grade school, when I was younger. I had a huge crush on this chick Crystal that was mutual, and she helped me get into it. I went and bought it due to her. From the beginning of my first play through I loved the game. After that I always kept up to date on any and every Square game that came out, being addicted to FF7. I got EVERYTHING in it, twice. The rare materia and all. (Which still to this day is my favorite FF.) At free time in school I would draw / sketch characters that I made up or that were characters in games. I even copied a Game Informer (I think) cover back then that had Tidus on the cover with his sword that came out great when FFX just came out, looked almost identical. Good old childhood memories. Back in the day when FF7, and Metal Gear, and Twisted Metal were all new great games to me. Again as I'm older now I'm playing FF7 again, lmfao.

I was 14 and had just gotten my first "PlayStation one" for Christmas and along with it were FF7, 8, 9 and Tactics. With a plether of other Greatest hits games. FF7 was the first i played and hooked me with it's storyline , gameplay and protagonist ( Cloud, my hero ). I have peen hooked ever since. I have downloaded it to mp Ps3/psp and over all have cleared it a total of 25 times, working on 26 atm.

I somehow obtained the FFVII Demo Disk back when I was in the 7th Grade and I loved the Hell out of it. I played that Demo like 20 times and one day I saw FFVII sitting in the bargain bin at Walmart for $19.99 so I purchased it with some money I had saved up from doing chores and stuff. I had played FFVIII though prior to experiencing FFVII and at the time I wasn't aware that they were all seperate games and I was confused as to why Squall and the rest of the crew weren't in it. xD

When I was in Middle School, I loaned my Chrono Cross, which at that moment was the best RPG I had ever played, and I got borrowed Final Fantasy VII... I had lots of fun

Sephiroth
    For me it started by renting it over and over when it was released and then finally getting it for Christmas the next year. Ahhh my favorite game ever! I just wish the SE store would accept my credit card so I could buy the remake.

it started for me when i heard the soundtracks and went to a used game store where i found a copy of final fantasy vii, and i played it and i got hooked, so i had to get more, and one christmas i got advent children for a present, then i saw that and i was hooked, so i found the advent children figures the year after i got the movie, which i got cloud for my birthday, and vincent for christmas, and i found crisis core at a electronics store for 5 bucks, and i played that, and i got myself a zack figure for the next b-day present, and then i found dirge of cerberus for 8 bucks at another game store so i picked it up, the most recent purchase was advent children complete which i got from best buy for 11 bucks

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Although FFVII was not my introduction to the FF series, JRPGs or even RPGs in general, it was the first FF game I really took the time to experience (my first FF title was an imported US SNES copy of FFIV). It was my brother's copy of the game, and the day he got it he disappeared into his room for six hours. When he finally emerged exhausted he lent me the PSX and the game for the night.... and I was hooked.

I ended up buying it off him after constantly hassling him to borrow the game, along with buying my own PSX and memory card eventually as well later in mid 1998 (my original save file I lost when he reformatted his memory card to sell his console). But I still have my 'second' save file from 1998.

Looking back, I think half the reason I liked FFVII so much was because of Midgar. I'm a huge fan of steampunk/retro-futurism and I loved Midgar's design the moment I first saw Aeris in Sector 8, and Cloud and AVALANCHE jumping off the train to bomb the Number 1 Reactor (a train pulled by a steam locomotive no less!). I loved the rest of FFVII's world too, but it was Midgar that really got me hooked into the game. I felt cheated that I couldn't explore the whole of the city, or even the upper plate other than the few scripted instances as part of the storyline, but I loved what there was.

Sadly I didn't like the revisions made to Midgar's appearance in the Compilation (trying to make it more 'high tech' than 'steampunk'), so the original game will always be superior to these cheap tie-ins to me.

Also, I'll love Aeris for ever.
    enkffxisig-new-small

Grand Shriner willfinalfantasy7fan's Avatar
    one time on the way home from a student night, fell and injured my back; spent a few weeks in hospital and then had to wear a brace for a few months when i got out. so when i got back home from hospital, my housemates, who'd nearly been all evicted in my absence, lol, were really nice to me and helped look after me until i recovered fully. a couple of them were big fans of FF7 and they'd bought a PS from a second hand gamestore in town, which has closed down now sadly, when i went back to chester to visit a few mates.

anyway, blah blah, basically they brought games from home and so did i because we now had a working PS in the house. oh joy; anyway, i could have caught up on my studies while i was recovering but, naturlich, i decided to get into some retro gaming instead. and one of those 2 had brought a copy of FF7 from home, and they thought it would be fun to introduce me to the game, and they got to relive the game from a fresh perspective as i played through it for the first time. they showed me the ropes as i played through midgar, meeting aeris, fighting big old shinra, on the trail of sephiroth, facing off against rufus etc. and i just fell in love, the game was entrancing.

there was a strange scene when it got to aeris getting kebabed by seph - i was dumbfounded, and quite pissed off, because her healing limit breaks are really useful, and besides i liked her, i always had her in my party. one of the 2, ted, was in hysterics, because being an evil genius he'd encouraged my interest in the game and was waiting for this moment and my dismay at what he considered to be one of the great trolls of gaming history, the other guy phil was actually weeping - this is our third year of uni - and another housemate of ours, ruth, was just sat there drinking some wine, hanging out with us, and utterly bemused at this 'stupid fucking game' i was playing and the visceral reactions to that awful moment in it.

so yeah anyway, i continued playing through quite far, but not all the way; when i got home from uni i got my own copy and played it on my own PS, and completed everything, including getting a gold chocobo and beating emerald and ruby weapons, which were both much tougher then sephiroth at the end, which always pisses me off when i think about it - if they're so fucking boss, and they literally exist to take out twats like sephiroth and jenova, then it's a spectacular fail on the planet's part not to send them after THE REASON THEY EXIST, instead leaving them to tool around in the desert and at the bottom of the fucking sea. pricks.

... aaaaaanyway i rewatched advent children, which i actually saw a full year before i played FF7, but wasn't really concentrating on because we were all stoned as fuck when we watched it, and then i saw last order, and then played dirge of cerberus, which is a pretty big let down and almost entirely loses the essence of what made FF7 so engrossing and charming in the first place, but which i still own and am yet to finish but have an obsessively completionist save game waiting to be continued, and i also bought crisis core, which i knew almost everything about before i got it, and which also looks to lack some of that essential FF7ness, but which i still plan to play anyway.

... i can't help but overelaborate with annoying essays on this forum, i'm really sorry. that's that anyway, that's how i got into FF7, and i'm so glad i did. it's one of the great stories in gaming history, with some fantastic twists that genuinely shift the paradigm after the initial parts of the game suck you into the story headfirst, and allied to one of my all time favourite game scores and an inadvertedly magical and charming system of character models, game environments, method of tracking the character's movement and general graphics which provide definitive proof for me that while photo-realistic and complex graphics can be stunning and conducive to a game's quality, they really aren't an absolute necessity. i love the characters, good and bad; maybe cait sith is pushing it, but then you've got people like palmer and barret. and there's something fascinating about the really unobvious and untypical, unheroic missions you have to complete, that give the characters depth and complexity - you basically start as a mercenary helping a terrorist group - lolWUT - and you proceed to cross dress to impress a local pimp, take a bath with some easy rider stereotypes, spend prolonged periods gambling, breed, raise, race etc. some mutlicoloured ostriches - and so on.

ok i'm done. fucking love FF7. x
    courtesy of UltimateFFFan

it was back in 2001, i was in my first highschool years, that epoch of videogames all the time, and our cousin lend us ff7 to me and my brother for the psx one, it was actually the first rpg i played

Played the FF7 demo disc, liked it so much that I went to Funcoland (Now Gamestop) and bought me a copy.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123