Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Kamen Rider is Awesome

Marceline

Why Kamen Rider is Awesome

Since people enjoyed the Superman thread, I am here once again to tell everyone why something is awesome. This time, the subject at hand is Kamen Rider! However, before I can explain why Kamen Rider is awesome, I should probably explain what Kamen Rider is.

Kamen Rider is a tokusatsu series, a type of live-action media with a heavy focus on special effects. For most of you, the best known example of this type of show would be Power Rangers (Power Rangers is adapted from the Super Sentai series, which is also awesome, but that's for another thread). Like Power Rangers, Kamen Rider is aimed at children, but in a very different sort of way. The series never condescends to its audience, and it doesn't shy away from topics like death that kid's series often do. Of course, in saying that, I don't mean to imply that Kamen Rider is grim and gritty. The show is often lighthearted and sometimes downright silly, and things sometimes work out for the best in spite of countless obstacles. It's more that the series isn't afraid to do what is tonally appropriate, whether that is something tragic, a happy ending, or something in between.

Kamen Rider has existed since 1971, and since then has spawned more than 20 series and a massive amount of tv specials and theatrical movies. Although there are some exceptions, most Kamen Rider series don't interconnect with each other. Instead, they all have similar themes-motorcycle riding heroes, transformations, which usually involve belts, and monsters the heroes must fight to protect the people in their world. While the monster bit may sound cheesy, it is often one of the coolest aspects of the series. The monster design can be incredible, and varies hugely from series to series. Here are shots of three random monsters of the week, just to give you an idea of how interesting even the less significant monsters can look:

And then, there are the toys. Oh god, the toys. One of Kamen Rider's primary purposes is to sell toys, so the toys are plentiful and wonderful, but the show never feels like you're just watching a toy commercial. Instead, the toys are a costly yet wonderful bit of icing on the cake. I've posted numerous pictures of my Kamen Rider toys in the toy thread, and you can see one of them in my avatar, but there is a huge amount of awesome stuff out there besides figures. Replicas of all sorts of Kamen Rider props are out there, from belts to weaponry to fun small, series specific props like [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

But the number one reason to love Kamen Rider, for me, is the characters. From the riders to the villains to each series' supporting casts, there are so many Kamen Rider characters that have touched my heart. There's Godai Yuusuke, the relentlessly cheerful rider who fights to protect everyone's smiles, Hiyori Kusakabe, an anti-social girl who loves to draw and can talk to machines, or Kirihiko Sudo, a salesman who is a more caring figure than he may seem. And it is because of my love for all these characters that I can get so sucked into their worlds, so involved in their battles, time and time again. Some Kamen Rider series have more lovable casts than others, but there are characters to love in every series, and a wide variety of personality types.

Because of the mostly separate continuity of each Kamen Rider series, just about any series can work as a jumping on point. I'm going to give a brief overview, as well as download links, for a whole bunch of Kamen Rider series so that interested parties can check out any shows that might look cool to them. There are two eras of Kamen Rider- the Showa era, which ran from the 70's to the end of the 80's, and the Heisei era, which began in 2000. Because I'm much more familiar with the Heisei era, I'm only going to discuss those shows in this post. However, I know some people here have mentioned being interested in the Showa era shows, and I'd be happy to give overviews and links for some of those series later in this thread if people would like me to.

Anyways, without further ado, my Kamen Rider series overviews~

Kamen Rider Kuuga

The Cool Guy Kamen Rider

The first Kamen Rider series of the Heisei era, Kuuga follows an optimistic young man, Godai Yuusuke, after he gains the power to transform into Kamen Rider Kuuga. He must fight against the resurrected Gurongi tribe, a species of unidentified lifeforms that are inexplicably murdering humans. The local police fight against the creatures as well, and Godai's relationship with an inspector, Ichijo Kaoru, is a focal point of the series. Also focused on is the way various people's lives are changed through meeting and getting to know Godai.

Kuuga wasn't English subbed for a long time, and because of this, it's the series I've finished the most recently. While Kuuga is an obvious starting point, I'm really glad that I watched it when I did, because it's a really special series, and waiting to watch let me appreciate some elements that I don't know I would've picked up on otherwise. There are shades of just about every Kamen Rider in Kuuga, and it is so cool to see the ways it obviously influenced the rest of the Heisei era. Kuuga is a much slower, simpler show than most of its successors, and its fights aren't particularly flashy. But the show is absolutely worth sticking with, and its great action scenes and wonderfully written characters should do wonders for sucking you in. For me, the show really begins to pick up as the villains get more interesting (episode 23 onward).

Here are some gifs to give you an idea of the look of Kuuga:

Spoiler!

All of Kuuga can be downloaded [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. The first links are for torrents and softsubs, but if you keep scrolling down, you should see individual episodes.

If you like Kuuga, try: Kamen Rider Agito. Not only does Agito feature similar designs, forms, and the slower paced feel that Kuuga has, but it's actually considered to be a sequel to the previous series. I don't think the characters in Agito are quite as strong as the ones in Kuuga are, but the show still a good cast and a pretty strong plot. Fans of the police work aspect of the show will also appreciate how much time Agito devotes to their officer cast members.

Kamen Rider Agito

The Amnesiac Kamen Rider

In the world of Agito, humanity has gone two years without monster attacks. When a race of strange creatures begins to kill humans in impossible ways, the police believe they are ready to fight against them, but discover that these monsters are completely different than the ones they fought before. Meanwhile, a young man named Shouichi Tsugami, who has lost his memories, discovers that he has the ability to sense the monsters and can transform into Kamen Rider Agito to fight them. The mysteries of Shouichi's past and the reasons behind the monster's targets help drive the plot of the show, as do the various conflicts between members of the police force. Another young man, Ryou Ashihara, discovers he has powers at the same time as Agito.

Agito is considered by many to be one of the best Kamen Riders, and I'd have to agree that its plot is one of the strongest. However, Shouichi is probably my least favorite main rider, and I think that overall, the relationships between the characters aren't as interesting as they are in many other Kamen Rider series. In spite of this, Agito is still very enjoyable. In my opinion, Gills is one of the most entertaining riders to watch fight, and the G3 system is a pretty terrific idea. Like Kuuga, Agito can be slower paced, and it may take a while to get into. As the mysteries in Agito become more involving, so does the plot, and I think episodes 12-13 is when the show begins to become a lot more interesting.

Here's a sample of what Agito looks like:

Spoiler!

All of Agito can be downloaded [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. These are my uploads, and I split some episodes so that I could throw all of them up on Mediafire. I'd be happy to re-up these episodes at Megaupload or elsewhere by request.

If you like Agito, try: Kamen Rider Faiz. Like Agito, Faiz is darker in tone, and it explores some of the themes Agito hints at on a larger scale. The two series also share mystery driven plots, though Faiz has a much stronger focus on its characters.

Kamen Rider Ryuki

The Battle Royale Kamen Rider

A streak of mysterious disappearances has been occurring all over Tokyo. While investigating these disappearances, a young reporter named Shinji Kido accidentally stumbles across a card deck that leads him to the truth behind the incidents- monsters who live within the world of mirrors are pulling these people into the mirrors, devouring them. Though Shinji chooses to become a Kamen Rider and fight to protect people from these monsters, he soon learns that there is another fight he will be drawn into as well. A rider battle is being organized by the creator of the card decks, and he intends for only one Kamen Rider to be left at the end of it.

Kamen Rider Ryuki was honestly revolutionary at the time it was introduced, and it's still unique among Kamen Riders even today. Ryuki contains a lot of things I generally dislike, such as a card system, heavy use of CG, and a focus on rider rights, but I really enjoyed it in spite of itself. Shinji can be frustratingly incompetent in many of the show's early episodes, and he annoyed the crap out of me for a while, but he's the heart of the show, and he really improves throughout the series. Because Ryuki has a massive amount of riders (15 if you count the riders in the movie and special), there is a huge variety of looks, personalities, and fighting styles. However, because there are so many, not all of the riders have the time to be as developed as I'd like them to be. Still, I think many characters, especially the movie ones, make the most of the time they have, and I think they chose the riders they focus on the most wisely.

Here's a glimpse of what Ryuki looks like:

Spoiler!

All of Ryuki can be downloaded [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. You can get it via torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Ryuki, try: Kamen Rider Kabuto. Only Kabuto comes close to Ryuki on the LOTSA RIDERS scale, or in the amount of rider versus rider action. I also think that the relationship between Ren and Shinji is mirrored (hee) by the one between Tendou and Kagami in many ways. Both series also have a good mix of seriousness and silliness, though I think Ryuki appears more silly on the surface and Kabuto looks more serious on the surface.

Kamen Rider 555

The Grimdark Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider 555, a prickly loner named Takumi Inui is unwittingly drawn into a battle between humans and a race of beings known as Orphnochs after meeting Mari Sonoda, an aspiring hairdresser. Takumi is capable of using the Faiz gear, a device created by Mari's father, to transform into Kamen Rider Faiz and fight against the Orphnochs. As the two of them and another young man, Keitaro Kikuchi, begin to live and fight together, the Orphnochs themselves are also explored. The race is an evolutionary stage that occurs after human death, and each Orphnoch must choose whether to stay true to their human nature or to give into the the powers of their new race.

Kamen Rider 555 is widely considered to be the darkest Kamen Rider series, and it is partially because of this that the series is one of the most polarizing ones. I found the series and the moral grey areas it explores to be instantly involving, but other people felt that the plot was overly dark, and spent too much time on character relationships and not enough time on the show's insanely awesome fight scenes. Though I'm a huge fan of 555, it absolutely has flaws. Great story opportunities are sometimes wasted, and the plot has some patterns that repeat over and over again. The show also has an incredibly vague and unsatisfying ending. However, the series movie, Paradise Lost, serves as an alternate ending to the series, and is one of my favorite Kamen Rider movies of all time. Because of this, the weak ending doesn't hurt as much as it does with other series. Also: the auto-vajin is the greatest Kamen Rider motorcycle of all time.

Here's a look at Kamen Rider 555:

Spoiler!

You can download Kamen Rider 555 [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. Torrents for the series are [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Faiz, check out: Kamen Rider Kiva. While Kiva is very different from Faiz in style, and is certainly a more optimistic show, it is very obvious that the two were written by the same writer. There are several parallels that can be found between the two series, and mutiple actors who play parts on both shows. Kiva is also (tragically) the only other Kamen Rider to feature a cell phone gun.

Kamen Rider Blade

The Playing Cards Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider Blade, two young men fight as Kamen Riders through an organization called BOARD. To do this, they use Rider Systems which are powered by playing cards that contain sealed monsters, the Undead. Although Kamen Riders are largely treated as a rumor by the public, an aspiring writer, Kotaro Shirai, befriends Kazuma Kenzaki, Kamen Rider Blade as part of a novel on Kamen Riders he is working on. When an event changes Kenzaki's world, he must work together with his friends and the mysterious Kamen Rider Chalice in order to re-seal the remaining undead.

Blade tends to be forgotten among the other Kamen Riders, which is a shame, because it's a pretty neat series. It gets off to a slow start, but starts to pick up around episode six, and picks up hugely from episode 16 on. The series spends too much time on some plotlines and not enough time on others, but does a surprisingly good job of making its card system feel logical, and has some terrific bromance elements. While you're trying to get through the early episodes, you can enjoy the monster designs, which are great from the start. I also think the series has a really interesting ending, and it's one of my top Kamen Rider endings overall. For those of you who aren't pleased with the choice made in the ending, this is another series with an alternate ending movie which explores another path the characters could have taken. I can see why the slow start, unusual rider design, and occasional draggy plotline could put people off of Blade, but I think it's such an underrated series and I hope more people give it a chance.

Here's a sample of what Blade looks like:

Spoiler!

You can download all of Blade [Hidden link. Register to see links.]. These are WMVs, but if you'd prefer AVIs, you can get what you can [Hidden link. Register to see links.] (a lot of those links were broken last I checked) and I can re-up the additional episodes you need elsewhere.

If you like Blade, check out: Kamen Rider Ryuki. Although Ryuki and Blade are pretty different, storywise, they have a lot of similarities. Both series use card systems, although I don't think Ryuki's is as well thought out, both series have unusual rider designs, and most importantly, both series give characters a lot of time to explore the kind of rider they want to be. Both series also have really well done plot twists.

Kamen Rider Hibiki

The Musical Kamen Rider

While on vacation with his mother, a teen named Asumu Adachi meets an unusual man known only as Hibiki. After Asumu accidentally discovers Hibiki's identity as a Kamen Rider (known as an Oni in the series), the two forge a mentor-student like friendship. Asumu also develops a relationship with the rest of the Takeshi, the organization Hibiki is a member of it, while the Takeshi try to deal with the monster threat.

Hibiki is the most controversial Kamen Rider by far, for a variety of reasons. The show was originally conceived as a 90+ episode original series, and it wasn't decided that it would become a Kamen Rider series until a ways into the developmental process. Because of this, it's radically different from the Kamen Rider series, to the point where no one says henshin, and Hibiki isn't even capable of driving a motorcycle for a good portion of the series. The second major source of controversy is that the writing staff went through an overhaul a little over halfway through the series, drastically changing the tone of the show.

I loved Kamen Rider Hibiki within the first two minutes, probably at the same point people were checking to make sure they hadn't mistakenly downloaded the wrong show. The music theme is a tremendous amount of fun, and Hibiki's unusual style is part of the magic of the show. At times, largely due to the focus on Asumu, Hibiki feels more like a slice-of-life show than a Kamen Rider, and at other times, it has the feel of an incredibly creepy Japanese horror movie. The way the Takeshi are organized is wonderful, and I think it's a shame no Kamen Rider has really tried to implement something like that since. While some people like to pretend the show ended at episode 29 (the last episode with the original writing staff), my feelings about that are more complicated. The show has some major problems in its second half, and it loses a good bit of what made Hibiki so special, but it also has some really terrific moments. My favorite part of the entire series happens in one of the later episodes of the show. How frustrated you will be by the show's later episodes will largely depend on whether or not you like Kiriya (most people don't), and how attached you were to other aspects of the show you left behind. In spite of how messy Hibiki can get, I still strongly recommend it, and think its first 29 episodes are some of the best written stuff the Heisei era's seen.

Here's a glimpse of what Hibiki looks like in motion:

Spoiler!

You can download all of Hibiki [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and torrents for it are [Hidden link. Register to see links.], here, and here.

If you like Hibiki, check out: No Kamen Rider is anything like Hibiki, but I'd recommend Blade, another underappreciated Kamen Rider series, to Hibiki fans. The two series don't have much in common, but they both have that "outsider looking in on Kamen Riders" element, and have focus on organization to track the series monsters. Mostly though, if you enjoy Hibiki I get the feeling you'll be willing to root for another underdog.

Kamen Rider Kabuto

The Cooking Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider Kabuto, an organzation known as ZECT works to fight a shapeshifting race of monsters known as the Worm. In order to better deal with them, they have developed the Masked Rider System, which allows its user to transform into a powerful Kamen Rider. Although ZECT intends to choose the user of each System, the Kabuto Zecter instead chooses Tendou Souji as its user, an eccentric but powerful young man who has been training to fight for seven years. Kagami Arata, a low-level member of ZECT, is another of the show's main characters, and his relationship with Tendou and other riders is often a focal point of the show.

I really like Kabuto, and it seems like it's one of the most universally liked series to me. The fights are excellent, especially when they have the budget to put into clock-up, the rider designs look awesome, and show has a large cast of characters who all get some pretty good storylines. There are a good amount of people who dislike Tendou, and while I disagree with some of their views on the character, I feel that he shares the spotlight enough with Kagami that you can enjoy the show even if you dislike its main rider. Kabuto does have some plotholes, but not the sort that seem really bothersome to me. The show is much more character driven then story driven, and it makes little pieces that might feel off feel less troublesome. I think it's a pretty good series to start with, but it can be one of the most dangerous series in terms of toys. There are so many riders, and because the relationships between the characters are a big part of the show, it feels like it'd be really difficult to buy toys of just one.

Here's a look at Kamen Rider Kabuto in motion:

Spoiler!

You can download Kabuto [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.],[Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Kabuto, check out: Agito and Kabuto may seem like a weird match, since Kabuto is one of the most character-centric series, and Agito is one of the least. However, when put together, the shows balance each other out, and they explore several similar themes, especially in the later episodes of both series. They also tend to be pretty widely liked among the Kamen Rider fanbase.

Kamen Rider Den-O

The Time Travel Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider Den-O, an unlucky young man named Ryotaro Nogami stumbles across an unusual train pass. On the same day, he finds himself possessed by an imagin, a creature that can gain a physical form by making a contract with a user. He discovers that the train pass is for the DenLiner, a train that has the ability to travel through time. Ryotaro can also use the pass to transform into Kamen Rider Den-O, and is able to fight by letting his imagin possess him. Together, they fight to stop imagin who want to destroy the future by wreaking havok on the past.

Den-O was my first Kamen Rider series, and because of that, it has a special place in my heart. In spite of my bias, I think it's a pretty terrific series with a lot to appreciate. The show is frequently criticized by fans for its high amounts of comedy and for having the least bad-ass main rider ever, but I really enjoy the series' comedic elements, and I think Ryotaro is a pretty great character. The imagin are a huge highlight of the show, and I can't imagine not loving Momotaros at the very least. Den-O is one of the most optimistic Kamen Rider series, and its sweetness and heart are a good counter to some of the darker series in Kamen Rider canon. The changing personalities of the rider make for some amazing suit acting, and seeing the imagin interact with each other is something that your typical Kamen Rider series won't allow. At times, you have to relax and not think about the time travel element too much, but, like Kabuto, the show is so much about the characters that any time travel weirdness is easy to ignore. The show also has some surprisingly good mysteries in spite of its lighthearted tone.

Here's a look at Kamen Rider Den-O:

Spoiler!

You can download Den-O [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or get it via torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Den-O, try: Kamen Rider OOO. OOO is written by the same person as Den-O is, and and they are compared to each other a lot more than they are to her other series, Ryuki. Though the show's lead riders don't have much in Kamen, the shows are both heavy on comedy, and feature changing forms during fights. The dynamic between Eiji and Ankh also has a sort of imagin feel to it, though the series might take it in another direction later on. Although OOO is still early in its run, it's still worth checking out if you really enjoyed Den-O.

Kamen Rider Kiva

The Vampire Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider Kiva, two timelines- one in 1986, and one in 2008- are explored. In 1986, a young woman named Yuri Aso fights as a member of a Fangire hunting organization, and develops an unusual relationship with a violinist named Otoya Kurenai, who also fights Fangires. In 2008, their children fight Fangires as well. Yuri's daughter Megumi fights as a member of the same organization she did, while Otoya's son, Wataru, fights as Kamen Rider Kiva. The parallels between the two periods are explored, and the secrets of both timelines are slowly revealed.

While the mere mention of vampires might be enough to put people off these days, Kiva is more Buffy than Twilight. The series is actually based on Universal Classics monster movies, and features a wide variety of creatures to match. Kiva spends a lot of time on telling the stories of its characters, and at times, it can definitely feel like you're watching a J-Drama instead of a superhero show. However, the fight scenes are often pretty great, and while the series' use of cg felt off to me in the early episodes, I felt they used it pretty well later on. Some people have a strong preference for the 1986 side characters, which left them feeling frustrated when they got less screentime in the later episodes of the series, but I love Wataru, Nago, Kengo, and the other 2008 characters. Kiva isn't perfect by any means, but it's a pretty entertaining show with the sort of characters who really grow on you. The stained glass look for the Kiva monster designs is a really neat choice, and it made the show visually delighting to me. This is a fun series to watch after having seen a couple Kamen Riders, because of ridiculous amount of actors from previous shows came back for this one.

Here's a look at Kiva in action:

Spoiler!

You can download Kiva [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or grab it via torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Kiva, try: Kamen Rider Hibiki. Though the two don't have too much in common, plotwise, they have the same element of often feeling like a different type of show then they actually are. Both shows focus on music, and watching Hibiki will give you a chance to see Jiro as one of Kamen Rider's ultimate badasses, Kamen Rider Zanki.

Kamen Rider Decade

The Passing Through Kamen Rider

Decade's story begins with a world near its end. After a series of strange events, Tsukasa Kadoya gains the power to become Kamen Rider Decade and is told he must travel to the worlds of 9 other Kamen Riders in order to save the world he is in. Along with the staff of a photography studio, Tsukasa hops from Kamen Rider world to world, where he gains the powers of other riders and tries to fix the anomalies within them.

Kamen Rider Decade is an incredibly frustrating series. For whatever reason, the show ran for 31 episodes instead of the typical 48-50. I have to believe that this was unplanned, because Decade desperately needed those extra episodes. Huge gaps of information are missing from the show, and a lot of its most important information had to be revealed outside of the show's episodes. Even the show's ending takes place in Movie War 2010 rather than in episode 31 itself. Decade's world hopping premise is fantastic, and, though the show could've been so much better than it was, it's a lot of fun in spite of its numerous problems. Many people disliked Tsukasa for being, well, a jerk, but I love him and think he's a pretty terrific character.

I've seen quite a few people say that they started watching Kamen Rider with Decade, and chose to watch series after that based on what worlds interested them. While I can see why this would appeal to people, I'd recommend against it, primarily because there are several large spoilers that can be found in some of the worlds. I'd also suggest watching Kamen Rider The First and Kamen Rider The Next before checking out Decade just because it makes certain elements of the show less confusing than they are, and Decade needs all the de-confusing it can get. As long as you're okay with some frustrating moments, Decade can be a lot of fun, and it's great for reminding you just why you love certain aspects of Kamen Rider so much.

Here's what Decade looks like in motion:

Spoiler!

You can download all of Decade [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or grab it via torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like Decade, check out: Kamen Rider Kuuga. The two series couldn't be much more different, but since Kuuga is one of Decade's main characters, I think it's really important to see where the character came from. In some ways, Yuusuke feels like a lesser character when compared to Godai, but at the same time, I think it's neat to see what elements they kept and in what ways they changed him. There are also some moments relating to him that take on new significance once you've seen Kuuga.

Kamen Rider W

The Two-in-One Kamen Rider

Kamen Rider W is set in Fuuto, a fictional, wind powered city. Shoutarou Hidari, a detective who strives to be hardboiled, but is truthfully halfboiled, and Philip, an eccentric genius with data access abilities, fight together as Kamen Rider W. Devices called Gaia Memories enable residents to fight as monsters called dopants, but the memories often wind up taking control of the user. Along with Akiko Narumi, the daughter of Shoutarou's mentor, Shoutarou and Philip run a detective agency that specializes in Gaia Memory related cases.

Though it's been less than six months since W ended, I think it just might be the very best Kamen Rider series. I know it's my favorite. The city of Fuuto feels like a character on the show itself, and the two episode mystery arcs are surprisingly involving. But what really makes the show is the incredible relationship between Shoutarou and Philip. Whether it's seeing the two interact together separately or watching them fight together as a single unit, the two balance each other out so well and are really a joy to see together. While many Kamen Rider series start out slow or fall apart near the end, W is incredibly well planned out, and it's paced well from the start to the series' overwhelming finish. The monsters in W were designed by one of the guys who did monsters for Godzilla Final Wars, which means they look amazing, and fighting via combinations adds a fun backseat rider element to the show's action scenes. The detective premise works beautifully, and the show's gorgeous music has that same, detective novel feel.

You can check out W in action here:

Spoiler!

And you can download W [Hidden link. Register to see links.] or via torrent [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.], [Hidden link. Register to see links.] and [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like W, try: Kamen Rider Den-O. Den-O is the one series that I feel has as much heart as W does, a feat that is not easy to pull off. Though the way W works is pretty different to that of Den-O, the shared personality aspects make for some interesting comparisons. Though two episodes story arcs are common in Kamen Rider, they have a very similar feel here.

Kamen Rider OOO

The Vending Machine Kamen Rider

In Kamen Rider OOO, a group of monsters known as Greeed awaken after 800 years of slumber. One of the Greeed, Ankh, is unable to restore his full form. Because of this, he finds Eiji, a wanderer who travels with nothing but money and his underwear for the next day, and convinces him to fight with him as OOO. Eiji is assisted in his fight by a mysterious organization known as the Kougami Foundation.

At the time of my writing this, OOO is only 17 episodes in, so it's hard to give any definitive opinions on what the series as a whole is like. It employs a vending machine gimmick that is hard to describe, but is a lot of fun to watch. Like W, OOO's forms are combination based, and the amount of forms that are possible based on what we know so far is staggering. So far, the show is very high energy and moves at a surprisingly quick pace. Eiji is a really likable rider, and Ankh is a blast as a character. The show definitely has a lot of promise, and because I've really enjoyed shows by its writer in the past, I expect to keep on having a good time with OOO. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind waiting a week between episodes.

You can check out OOO (and vending machine stuff) in motion here:

Spoiler!

And you can download it [Hidden link. Register to see links.].It's worth mentioning that another sub group, Over Time, tends to release new episodes about half a week sooner. You can find their blog [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

If you like OOO, check out: Kamen Rider W. OOO was so clearly influenced by W's success, and it's neat to see what inspired some of OOO's more out there elements. The two series definitely feel like their own unique entities, but being shaped by W is definitely a good way, and it'll be fun to see if it's been influenced by W in more ways as the series progresses.

I only Watched Maked Rider when I was a boy, I liked it. But it was just a single season & much like Power Rangers it was an Adaptation.

Great ARTICLE you wrote here.
    V for Valhalla

They look like Beetle Power Rangers.

Stuff Your Eyes with Wonder Dr Faustus's Avatar
    A fantastic editorial, Ndi. Most impressive.

I'm already sold on the Kamen Rider universe and have loved what I've seen so far. Kamen Rider W was the finest most emotionally charged action adventure series I had the pleasure of watching last year and I watch a lot of things, more than is healthy for any one individual.

I totally agree when you said "... Fuuto feels like a character on the show itself...". It really does and that anthropomorphic attitude helped to make me care about what the protagonists are fighting to protect.

Kamen Rider 555 sounds intriguing. I will eventually watch them all no doubt but what you said about it appeals to me a lot.

I'd like to add for the benefit of everyone else that despite the obvious similarities with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I was never a fan of it. I don't think liking it is a prerequisite for liking this. So even if you hated MMPR there is a possibility you'll fall in love with Kamen Rider.

-----------------------------------------------

Some awesome giffage on this page.
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

"There must be something in books, something we canít imagine, to make a woman stay in a burning house... "

I had been wondering about finding something like this for a long time, ever since you guys started posting about it in other threads. Will read all of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Faustus View Post
    A fantastic editorial, Ndi. Most impressive.

I'm already sold on the Kamen Rider universe and have loved what I've seen so far. Kamen Rider W was the finest most emotionally charged action adventure series I had the pleasure of watching last year and I watch a lot of things, more than is healthy for any one individual.

I totally agree when you said "... Fuuto feels like a character on the show itself...". It really does and that anthropomorphic attitude helped to make me care about what the protagonists are fighting to protect.

Kamen Rider 555 sounds intriguing. I will eventually watch them all no doubt but what you said about it appeals to me a lot.

I'd like to add for the benefit of everyone else that despite the obvious similarities with Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I was never a fan of it. I don't think liking it is a prerequisite for liking this. So even if you hated MMPR there is a possibility you'll fall in love with Kamen Rider.

-----------------------------------------------

Some awesome giffage on this page.
    Are there subs of this on the internets?

Quote Originally Posted by Arigeitsu159 View Post
    Are there subs of this on the internets?
    Of MMPR? I don't know. If you mean the Kamen stuff, Ndi put a lot of links in her op. They are all subbed.

I used to love Masked Rider and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a kid. Cheesey as hell, but just what I wanted from my entertainment at that age.

Marceline
    I definitely wouldn't judge Kamen Rider based on Saban's Masked Rider. Masked Rider actually used footage from Kamen Rider Black RX, a Showa era show, and it is drastically different. The only other Kamen Rider adaptation, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, actually seems like a pretty solid show from what I've seen, so that might be a more fair comparison.

That said, there is nothing wrong with cheesy as hell entertainment, and I was really into Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a kid too. ^^ Just wanted to mention how different Kamen Rider is from that particular adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Faustus View Post
    Of MMPR? I don't know. If you mean the Kamen stuff, Ndi put a lot of links in her op. They are all subbed.
    Cool. I may check them out since I need something to entertain me during lunch at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    I definitely wouldn't judge Kamen Rider based on Saban's Masked Rider. Masked Rider actually used footage from Kamen Rider Black RX, a Showa era show, and it is drastically different. The only other Kamen Rider adaptation, Kamen Rider Dragon Knight, actually seems like a pretty solid show from what I've seen, so that might be a more fair comparison.

That said, there is nothing wrong with cheesy as hell entertainment, and I was really into Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a kid too. ^^ Just wanted to mention how different Kamen Rider is from that particular adaptation.
    Haha. Yeah, MMPR was so cheesy back in the day. Telling people I liked MMPR (or any of its later incarnations) as a middle-high schooler was a big deal for me. Kids were assholes then... but they're bigger assholes now.

Neg
    You can't let assholes and trolls dictate what you enjoy, Ari There's tons of older Toku fans on the interwebz. There's a guy who's 45 on youtube who buys ABSOLUTELY EVERY toy released.

Speaking of which, if anyone becomes interested in toys, I can recommend some Toku reviewers on the DA TUBE and Mandi and I are both really familiar with the availability and quality of many of the toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Neg View Post
    You can't let assholes and trolls dictate what you enjoy, Ari There's tons of older Toku fans on the interwebz. There's a guy who's 45 on youtube who buys ABSOLUTELY EVERY toy released.

Speaking of which, if anyone becomes interested in toys, I can recommend some Toku reviewers on the DA TUBE and Mandi and I are both really familiar with the availability and quality of many of the toys.
    Unfortunately, I realized that fact after I left high school. Heck, I'm 29 and still watch Pokemon and don't give an eff what anyone thinks.

What kind of toys do they specialize in? Only sentai, or do they also have anime ones too?

Neg
    Most of the reviewers I watch specialize in Super Sentai and Kamen Rider toys. However, there are a few that have Ultraman and Godzilla toys.

Both Sentai and Rider toys involve role-play devices like weapons and henshin devices (morphers). Rider bikes are becoming more common-place but are usually much cheaper than Sentai mecha (unless they're exclusives). Riders have a large monopoly on super pose-able figures in the form of S.H. Figuarts (and their predecessors, the Souchaku Henshin line), but there are Shinkenger figuarts on the horizon and hopefully that will lead to figuarts for the more popular sentai series. Almost everyone I've seen collects vinyl figures for their Sentai needs. I can get you pics of these things if you're interested.

There are reviewers who review anime toys, I just can't think of any off-hand that I'm subscribed to. Shuki has a bunch of Evangelion figures, but I've only seen him review like 1

Something wicca this way comes anyname's Avatar
    Spoiler!

lol'd at these two

Spoiler!

she looks like a baddass bitch! i like.

Spoiler!

is this the same area that they used in pgsm? it looks similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Wonderbra
    baby sun is creepy with its giggling and happy baby-ness.

Marceline
    Quote Originally Posted by anyname View Post
    Spoiler!

is this the same area that they used in pgsm? it looks similar.
    It is! There are a lot of sets that get re-used in toku shows, it's pretty fun to watch for them.

And the fellow in the stripes here is from PGSM as well!

I like to call him Tuxedo Kamen Rider ^^

also related to PGSM: Yasuko Kobayashi, the head writer for PGSM, also wrote Kamen Rider Ryuki, Den-O, and is the writer for OOO. also she wrote Shinkenger~

i only watched masked rider.
    i will never watch it again.

for disguised motorcylce-riding badasses, i have gekko kamen.
    Quote Originally Posted by HDHipHop1 View Post
    A lot of cereal nowadays is just candy dunked in milf.
    because if life is a bitch, im gonna make her MY BITCH
    i now legally posess a phd in zombies.

on february 23, 1987, two things happened: the first documentable supernova visible with the human eye, and my birth. in other words, i was blessed by the universe itself. not many can say that

Something wicca this way comes anyname's Avatar
    that doesn't look like mamoru!

never real watch those kinda shows. used to watch power rangers without careing for it much, until i hit a kid when i was 4 (think) relizing i cold blame a show that i didnt care for to get out of punsment, i blamed it on power rangers, didnt get spanked, but wasent alowd to watch powerrangers anymore.
    "Youíre dressed as a chicken! What are you, what are you, what are you going to do, dressed as a chicken?" - Jasper

Neg
    T-N did do OOO 17. WTF, why didn't Takenoko mention it on the main page?

Could I get a link to a dl for The First? T-N has the Next. Need to grab the last batch of Imagin anime, too.

Marceline
    This is weird, I couldn't find Kamen Rider the First on TN either, but my file name says that's where I got it from. ; ; Oh well, threw it up on Megaupload!

Later today, I'll try and find links or upload some more of the stand alone Kamen Rider movies and write a little about them, as some of them are pretty great, and they're a much quicker watch than a 48-50 episode series. Always happy to write more about Kamen Rider anyways! I'm thinking about starting a toku blog too, I registered some names. I'm planning on re-watching W now that Gaia Memories of Fate is out, and it'd be fun to write about each episode as I did, and to write about Garo too! And it'd give me a place for all my gifs.

Robbu, here's a clearer shot of Tuxedo Kamen Rider/Kamen Rider Ibuki:

Actually, Ichigo from the movie I just uploaded is Motoki in PGSM! And Human Luna is in Kamen Rider Kiva, Usagi and Beryl are both in W movies, and Nephrite is in Kamen Rider OOO. XD There's just lot of crossover in toku shows. I'm probably forgetting some people too. ; ;

Quote Originally Posted by Marceline View Post
    This is weird, I couldn't find Kamen Rider the First on TN either, but my file name says that's where I got it from. ; ; Oh well, threw it up on Megaupload!
    Cool. Thanks for this. So is this unconnected to any of the other series'?

Marceline
    It's a modernized adaptation of the very first Kamen Rider series! I've heard that it's closer to the manga than the show itself, though. The Next is a sequel to it, but it also features Kamen Rider V3 (who is inexplicably Kamen Rider Drake) and updates his story a bit.

I really recommend watching The First before Decade because, for whatever reason, a bunch of plot elements from the early Showa shows start showing up in the later elements, but they don't explain stuff like they do in the Heisei Kamen Rider worlds. Just knowing about Shocker and Dr. Shinigami eliminates a lot of confusion.

The two totally original standalone Kamen Rider films, Kamen Rider J (you should know him from the Decade movie!) and Kamen Rider ZO came out during Kamen Rider's tv hiatus in the 90's. They did an Ultraman VS. Kamen Rider movie then too, if there are any other Ultraman fans here!

I mentioned this in another thread recently, but it seems fitting to repost it!

Kamen Rider G was a character created for a Japanese variety TV show. Basically, they did an episode where one of the guys on the show became a Kamen Rider and they told his story. He has a corkscrew sword and he is pretty awesome. The special is subbed and on Youtube.

Whole thing is less than 20 minutes and it's definitely worth a watch.

It never occurred to me that there would be a manga. That would be interesting to seek out.

I know of Ultraman, I would recognise him in a lineup but typically such things are hard to get a hold of over here, in a physical medium anyway. Astroboy and Megaman are all I can remember from Japan in my youth, before Akira broke new ground and opened the floodgates. There may be more but I don't remember them.

Thanks for the youtube links, I'll get to those in a little while.

◄Suigintou's henchman► Argus Zephyrus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arigeitsu159 View Post
    They look like Beetle Power Rangers.
    NO, not Beetleborgs!!!

I, too, loved Masked rider as a a kid. The nostalgia, but I remember nothing save for my Masked Rider figurine stored away in a plastic storage bin.
    And I've no camera to show it off with at the moment, lol
    Click [Hidden link. Register to see links.] for a sexy video of Jennifer Aniston. ;D
    Alternatively,
    If you're an idiot, click [Hidden link. Register to see links.].

(v ' .')> [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

Neg
    Thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast