Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sarah

Thread: Web hosting advice pls

Grand Shriner

Web hosting advice pls

Hi all,

I'm looking for either web host recommendations, or a pointer to a good forum to find out about web hosting. Googling doesn't seem to help, since it's difficult to tell between legit and scam sites pretending to give reviews.

I'm really a newbie with this, but want to create my own personal site and play around with PHP and databases. Popular ones (but not necessarily good...) seem to be Bluehost, Mediatemple and Hostgator. I hope there are some shriners who have good experience to share.

Thanks in advance,
    w00t!

I've used Lunar Pages or gotten hosting through Sarah. I think I used Lunar Pages because I had a discount code or it was really cheap or smth. I was happy enough with it! Easy to use. I was using a plan that was a little less than $4 a month. This was maybe 2-3 years ago.

I have been with HostGator since.... maybe around 2003 or thereabouts. Got no complaints. A one year "Hatchling" account is under $70 (the price drops if you sign up for a longer time period) and this includes unlimited disc storage and bandwidth along with all the CPanel bells and widgets you would expect... no limit on databases, yadda yadda yadda.

No, I am not affiliated with HostGator in any fashion at all except as an end user/customer.

Grand Shriner
    Thanks Marceline and oaqm - this is what I wanted to hear, from real end users.

Hey there. I work for Media Temple and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. You can PM me or catch us on Twitter if you have specific questions. I would definitely need to get some more information of what kind of site your running, visitor count per day, platform you're using (WordPress, Drupal, Magento, etc), and budget.

i usually recommend nearlyfreespeech.net to friends looking for small hosting
    w00t likes this.

Grand Shriner
    Hi Sarah, nice to meet you. Thanks for the recommendation - very interesting!

Onion Kid
    Happy user of Arvixe,