Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By

Thread: Torrents Vs File Hosting Sits

Grand Shriner

Torrents Vs File Hosting Sits

Which is better? Why?

I used to be neutral about this. Part of me still is. But with the shut down of MU, another part of me slightly favors torrents a bit more. With MU gone, all the MU links on the net are inoperative. However with torrents, if people seed, you can download. If a MU link is dead, the uploader, if he chooses to will have to reupload it or provide a new link. But with torrents, there is no link. You just re-seed/keep seeding. Do I use torrents more? Depends. Do I use file hosting sites more? Depends. But it doesn't depend on choice. It depends on some things:
    1. If I find something with a file hosting site and not torrent, I will use the file hosting site.
    2. If vice versa, torrents will be used.
    3. If I find what I want on either, it depends which way will it done faster.
    4. And of course it foes without saying but, if neither, I keep searching till I find it. Also youtube could be a good thing, but only temporary as the quality isn't always great (especially after you download it) & it's safe to say it won't be on youtube forever.

So as you can see, while I'm slightly towards torrents now thanks to MU's unfortunate fate, there's still a part of me that is neutral.

Which do you favor more? Why?

P.S. Please respect the opinions of others.

It goes without saying that as of today, neither option is perfect any longer as both torrents (The Pirate Bay) and Filehosters (Megaupload) received sufficient media coverage and overall awareness that the companies are taking down hot stuff faster and more often than ever. The good times are over I'm afraid, time to go back to IRC :P

Aside from that, I'd say that Filehosters were the better option. Torrents can die really fast, but as long as someone uploaded something by using a paid account, the files were available for a very long time (one must be lucky that the individual file/torrent hasn't been deleted by request of the copyright holder, of course). Megaupload was the best because it rarely ever deleted something and stuff from several years ago was still available - which is why it was taken down recently. Also, direct file downloads offer a faster download speed, whereas on older or less popular torrents, the speed may not be all that great. The availability is better too since someone can just re-upload some files, but with torrents it's up to the invididual seeders to be so kind and seed the stuff.
    A point for torrents is that when dealing with very large files (7 GB and up), active torrents are indeed the better option. Who in his right mind would upload 7 GB on a filehoster if he doesn't have a god-like connection?

I use direct downloads on occasion, but I strongly prefer torrents. I have a Demonoid account and I can get the vast majority of what I need there. It's generally very fast for me, though occasionally it might take the better part a day to get something rare-ish. Most of what I download is Japanese stuff I can't get in my country, and I also use sites like NyaaTorrents or the direct download links that translation groups provide.

I only share things with friends, and I use direct downloads.

<That was fucking poetry> cooljacker's Avatar
    Torrents are great, but when there are no seeds, it's useless... That tends to happen to old or just not popular stuff. Private trackers are way better but you need an invitation which is not always easy to get, and you have to keep a good ratio which can be very problematic.

And it doesn't help when there is just one seeder with the average speed of 1 kb/s lol
    No reuploads so please fuck off.

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiacmaster View Post
    It goes without saying that as of today, neither option is perfect any longer as both torrents (The Pirate Bay) and Filehosters (Megaupload) received sufficient media coverage and overall awareness that the companies are taking down hot stuff faster and more often than ever. The good times are over I'm afraid, time to go back to IRC :P

Aside from that, I'd say that Filehosters were the better option. Torrents can die really fast, but as long as someone uploaded something by using a paid account, the files were available for a very long time (one must be lucky that the individual file/torrent hasn't been deleted by request of the copyright holder, of course). Megaupload was the best because it rarely ever deleted something and stuff from several years ago was still available - which is why it was taken down recently. Also, direct file downloads offer a faster download speed, whereas on older or less popular torrents, the speed may not be all that great. The availability is better too since someone can just re-upload some files, but with torrents it's up to the invididual seeders to be so kind and seed the stuff.
    A point for torrents is that when dealing with very large files (7 GB and up), active torrents are indeed the better option. Who in his right mind would upload 7 GB on a filehoster if he doesn't have a god-like connection?
    It's true that neither option is perfect now. And it wasn't really to begin with if you think about it. They were always able to look from the time they knew of it. They just didn't till now. But just because they didn't start cracking down before, doesn't mean either was perfect. It wasn't about that. I was merely asking which of the two were better. But you're right. I do agree with you. Just not on the good times are over part.

I did forget to mention this above. But another reason I prefer torrents is you could download multiple stuff at once for free. With file hosting sites, you have to do it one at a time which can take longer unless you pay for a Premium account.

@cooljacker: True. But same can be said for file hosting sites. They're good till the links are dead.

Captain Hailer TheSparktankô 2.1's Avatar
    Torrents are easy to track.
    And that's not just because movie industries hire people to monitor torrent sites.
    when you're downloading run the command prompt and use:
    netstat -A
    Will show you all open TCP connections. And...any law-guy can do just the same and see the IPs of downloading/seeding people

And with some torrent sites that enforce "see ratios", they're a real pain.
    If you're not careful with your torrent settings, leaving the DHT enabled can leave you vulnerable for someone with much more knowledge to copy your torrent "key" (that connects to the private tracker to log your seed/leech ratios) and download using your torrent "key" and then never upload, thereby jeopardizing your ratio. It happens. Most torrent sites with private trackers put up guides, faqas and information about this and strongly recommend you follow their steps.
    (PS: It's all the stuff on sites you never read about and then go and do the opposite anyway.)

Unless you use a very private and secure VPN, you're chances of getting caught are relatively high with torrents.

And since the US has a tendency to launch massive law suits against thousands of IP addresses (re: the case of "The Expendables" VS the Public)... I'd stick to downloading from filehosts, which hosts are still available.

MU is gone. FileSonic is now entirely private (no sharing, just upload and download your own stuff).
    Who knows what will happen with others like Wupload, Oron, Netload, filejungle, etc.

Proxies are tricky. Free proxies are shit.
    The best proxy service is one that you pay for.
    BUT read more on proxies and, especially, of the service you intend to buy (if you do).
    Some proxy companies will sell their service and offer exactly the same as a free service.
    You really need to read and look for everything before settling on a proxy service.

Most "hide your IP" programs are pure shit.
    I tried about 5 of them and they're only "browser specific".
    On top of that, with browsers constantly going through updates, most of the "hide your IP" programs work with only certain builds.
    But don't bother trying to look for which builds those are. Their websites contain little to no information.
    Firefox is ever growing and changing to a point where you will no longer care about updates, or no longer care about certain plug-ins and add-ons if you choose to update.

VPN is about the best option. Some decent free ones.
    Again, check what they offer and also check if their payment plans are any good.

If you really want to keep a secure and private line, you'd best pay up.
    Otherwise, the next movie company to subpoena thousands of IP addresses for downloading the next blockbuster torrent might add your IP to their list.
    (Mostly US residents)
    impudent urinal likes this.
    ʰᵃᶦᶫ ʰʸᵈʳᵃ

Making the world a better place...for Mankind... docrate1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
    (Mostly US residents)
    Mostly curious, but what about foreigner ? There are copyright laws around here...but there are...leaks through which most of what I download can still crack its way.

"And exactly how many times did he fall out the window ?"

Quote Originally Posted by docrate1 View Post
    Mostly curious, but what about foreigner ? There are copyright laws around here...but there are...leaks through which most of what I download can still crack its way.
    I don't think foreigners should have any concerns. They'd just be blocked off from accessing the site.
    Take the case of Demonoid, the site was hosted on Canadian servers then shut down and blocked from Canada.
    Then they moved to a new location and are running again.

It's the same with youtube. Certain countries would only be blocked.

The only time you should be concerned if your a site owner like the case of Megaupload.

You only have to worry about your countries laws and what they imply.
    Avoid downloading the biggest box office movie, the biggest music album pre/release leaked online in your country.
    For the US, they felt "The Expendables" was something worth protecting

For me as a Canadian, I'll be avoiding anything major and breakthrough made by Canadians, hosted on Canadian servers.

"Don't shit where you eat."
    or was it "Don't eat where you shit... "

Grand Shriner
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparktank View Post
    Torrents are easy to track.
    And that's not just because movie industries hire people to monitor torrent sites.
    when you're downloading run the command prompt and use:

Will show you all open TCP connections. And...any law-guy can do just the same and see the IPs of downloading/seeding people

And with some torrent sites that enforce "see ratios", they're a real pain.
    If you're not careful with your torrent settings, leaving the DHT enabled can leave you vulnerable for someone with much more knowledge to copy your torrent "key" (that connects to the private tracker to log your seed/leech ratios) and download using your torrent "key" and then never upload, thereby jeopardizing your ratio. It happens. Most torrent sites with private trackers put up guides, faqas and information about this and strongly recommend you follow their steps.
    (PS: It's all the stuff on sites you never read about and then go and do the opposite anyway.)

Unless you use a very private and secure VPN, you're chances of getting caught are relatively high with torrents.

And since the US has a tendency to launch massive law suits against thousands of IP addresses (re: the case of "The Expendables" VS the Public)... I'd stick to downloading from filehosts, which hosts are still available.

MU is gone. FileSonic is now entirely private (no sharing, just upload and download your own stuff).
    Who knows what will happen with others like Wupload, Oron, Netload, filejungle, etc.

Proxies are tricky. Free proxies are shit.
    The best proxy service is one that you pay for.
    BUT read more on proxies and, especially, of the service you intend to buy (if you do).
    Some proxy companies will sell their service and offer exactly the same as a free service.
    You really need to read and look for everything before settling on a proxy service.

Most "hide your IP" programs are pure shit.
    I tried about 5 of them and they're only "browser specific".
    On top of that, with browsers constantly going through updates, most of the "hide your IP" programs work with only certain builds.
    But don't bother trying to look for which builds those are. Their websites contain little to no information.
    Firefox is ever growing and changing to a point where you will no longer care about updates, or no longer care about certain plug-ins and add-ons if you choose to update.

VPN is about the best option. Some decent free ones.
    Again, check what they offer and also check if their payment plans are any good.

If you really want to keep a secure and private line, you'd best pay up.
    Otherwise, the next movie company to subpoena thousands of IP addresses for downloading the next blockbuster torrent might add your IP to their list.
    (Mostly US residents)
    Not to brag or be boastful about it, but I must be doing something right. I've been using torrents for like years & downloading daily. I'm a daily downloader, pure and simple.
    Personally, I do not know what I'm doing or why that is. But so far, it has been that way.

Private trackers are better as opposed to public trackers. Yeah you're still being tracked. But private's the lesser of two evils. I've always downloaded torrents off private tracker sites. Not sure of that is it. But if it is, there's gotta be more to it than that. Perhaps luck? I really don't know. But whatever it is that is keeping me safe, til t he safety's gone, I guess I'll stick to whatever I'm doing. I've never seen nor downloaded Expendables or Avatar. I download things that are either less popular or forgotten to the point of where torrents are THE ONLY WAY to get hold of them and to the point of where they're watchable quality at best. Things that lasted few episodes or 1 season or stuff that's never been on DVD. And yes I know regardless of what I download, the danger is always there. Never lost sight of that man. So yeah, I do try to find what I need through file hosting sites first just to be safe. And I'll keep searching. When it comes to searching, I'm hardcore. I won't stop till I find exactly what I'm looking for. Don't care how long it takes me. Nowadays, torrents are only last resort. And cause of my hardcore searching, it's been done minimal for quite some time now.

There is no "lesser evil". It's an illusion.
    A secret society.
    And every secret society...

has its own Robert Langdon.

I would say luck. For a lot of people it's luck.
    But then who knows? They could be just logging things and waiting for something really juicy.
    At best, your blocked from accessing such torrent site.

There was much controversy over the whole torrent business.
    ISP's like ComCast were under plenty of scrutiny for their conduct.
    They were monitoring internet traffic for any torrenting.
    This, however, was a breach of privacy.

I think to battle online piracy, the government is taking greater precautions so as not to look like ComCast.

It was only last year in December that FileSonic implemented a new protocol to their uploads.
    The service they implemented would scan files and compare them to a list of known files to contain "copyright infringement" content.
    They wouldn't open archived files (.zip, .rar, etc; even if they are password protected and encrypted), they just scanned and read the reports as all 1/0's.
    This ensured "privacy" of legit uploaders of personal reasons.