Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hahah123
  • 1 Post By hack3rman
  • 1 Post By mgm5215
  • 1 Post By scrat28

Thread: Oscar Predictions 2014

Oscar Predictions 2014

Which scores do you hope will get nominated/win the oscar for best original score at the oscars 2014?

Here is my list:
    The Book Thief
    The Monuments Men
    Rush
    12 Years a Slave
    Saving Mr. Banks

This is a possible list that I thought of...
    but of course the Hobbit part 2 is coming out so
    mgm5215 likes this.

Captain Phillips, American Hustle & The Wolf of Wall Street.

Best original score is a tough choice, (Thomas Newman, John Williams, Howard Shore & Alexandre Desplat)........

Grand Shriner
    Neither film nor score for The Monuments Men is out yet, and the film probably won't come out before the Academy Awards deadline expires.

How come you're rooting for a score you cannot possibly know at this point?

Anyway, the music Oscar stinks (more than most other Oscars). So who gives a shit?
    „None of this nonsense about exercise and fresh air and sunshine when you could be devoting yourself to something really important like drinking.“
    (Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation, 1962)

I'd put my money on either The Book Thief, or Saving Mr. Banks. I've have heard all the scores that you mentioned (Except Monuments Men of course), and those 2 really stand out to me. I was disappointed when Thomas Newman didn't win last year, so here's to hoping he will this year! The score to Saving Mr. Banks is beautiful as is most of his scores!
    mgm5215 likes this.
    My Threads!
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]

If any of my files need to be re-upped, just PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by wimpel69 View Post
    Neither film nor score for The Monuments Men is out yet, and the film probably won't come out before the Academy Awards deadline expires.

How come you're rooting for a score you cannot possibly know at this point?

Anyway, the music Oscar stinks (more than most other Oscars). So who gives a shit?
    He wasn't rooting for The Monuments Men. He was mentioning Desplat, who did several films this year, with one (Philomena) being mentioned for awards.

Anyway, my bet it's on The Book Thief. It's Williams's best score since Geisha, and much more worthy to win an Oscar than his recent scores.
    hack3rman likes this.

Onion Kid
    Nervously awaiting 12 Years a Slave. Great director and cast, and considering the subject matter, I hope this movie gets some recognition.

Onion Kid
    I want Korzeniowski to be nominated either for Romeo & Juliet or Escape From Tomorrow. Both are great scores, but it's a long shot. Also Hisaishi for Wind Rises and Price for Gravity, but Gravity for sure will get a nomination.

String Cutter TheSparktank™ 2.1's Avatar
    1. Hans Zimmer
    2. Hans Zimmer
    3. Hans Zimmer
    4. Hans Zimmer

Eventually™
    Promoting:
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]: Hack3rman's Trailer Stems
    [Hidden link. Register to see links.]: Calidoran's Isolated Scores

Grand Shriner
    Steven Price did a hell of a good job on Gravity, really a groundbreaking soundtrack.

But a nomination for John Williams is certain, as well as one for Hans Zimmer. I just hope it would be for Rush and not 12 Years A Slave (which is clearly a low profile, unambitious score that hasn't asked for a lot of work, i think). But the Academy doesn't care about music so it'll be 12 Years A Slave.
    Francis_RL likes this.

I'm listening to The Book Thief right now and I have to lift my hat once again for John Williams. It's lush, it's sobre and beautiful. 12 years a Slave seems to be a real touching and dramatic movie but I've listened to the score by itself and it was kind of, I don't know, no so dramatic! I don't think Hans Zimmer is in his sweet spot on movies like that.

I loved the score for Frozen by Christophe Beck, the orchestrations are amazing. Bright and playful.
    I loved the score for Saving Mr. Banks by Thomas Newman. Modern sound with quality writing, thanks to Mr. Newman

Bryan Tyler is not my favorite composer but I think his attitude towards film composing is examplary. He's young and talented. An oscar would definitly encourage him and other composer to follow that professionalism and quality writing! I think 2 or 3 of his scores are in the run for an oscar nomination.

That's my toughts for now!
    Francis Renaud-Legault
    Montreal, QC

The Book Thief
    12 Years A Slave
    Philomena
    Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. - Prof. Albus Dumbledore

String Cutter TheSparktank™ 2.1's Avatar
    I'll say BT's score IM3 is far better than The Expendables.

Did they ever fix the CD for the Book Thief? Wasn't there a problem in one of the tracks or something?