Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many people here still like Final Fantasy?

How many people here still like Final Fantasy?

Reading some posts it seems that some posters here don't even like Final Fantasy games anymore.
    Sorry Player, I'm Noriega crossed with Schwarzenegger
    The orphan maker, orchestrate your fate in a torture chamber

:: raises hand ::

Opeth rules. You should check them out. poptart fantastico's Avatar
    I love Final Fantasy with a passion. But I dunno about the games for the XBOX and PS3. I can't afford to buy either system, so...

This is Opeth - the best progressive death metal band EVER.

Exotic weapon proficiency ftw Prak's Avatar
    It's true. A lot of us have outgrown the games. I, for one, dislike them because they mostly utilize archaic and inefficient gameplay systems, as well as for their absurd insistence on hiding about half of each game's content to make you buy a guide. There's also the fact that the storytelling in the games is badly outdated, severely repetitive, and often completely amateurish on top of that.

There are lots of better games these days, and I'd rather spend my time playing something that I won't feel like I've seen over a dozen times before.

Garlic Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultra Praknus View Post
    I, for one, dislike them because they mostly utilize archaic and inefficient gameplay systems, as well as for their absurd insistence on hiding about half of each game's content to make you buy a guide. There's also the fact that the storytelling in the games is badly outdated, severely repetitive, and often completely amateurish on top of that.
    Can I partially translate that as - I liked FFXII?
    Anyone who thinks that Final Fantasy started with FFVII is as idiot as the one who thinks that it ended with FFVI.

No, I hated FFXII more than any other since FFVIII for pretty much all of those reasons.

Hehe, for me it was the reverse. Not that I hated any of the previous ones but I did enjoy XII more than any other since VII.

Neg
    VI, IX, I. That's about it, now~

Garlic Kid
    I, for one, dislike them because they mostly utilize archaic and inefficient gameplay systems, as well as for their absurd insistence on hiding about half of each game's content to make you buy a guide. There's also the fact that the storytelling in the games is badly outdated, severely repetitive, and often completely amateurish on top of that.
    I hated FFXII more than any other since FFVIII for pretty much all of those reasons.
    What are you talking about? Archaic system? Inefficient maybe (mostly because you have to spent hours to level up and gather loot blah, blahÖ) but archaic?
    And can you really accuse FFXII of having outdated or repetitive storytelling especially in comparison to the old ones? You surely must have noticed that none of the previous FF had the style and quality in writing that FFXII had. And it really didnít focus on a plot of the epic proportions of older titles which is another difference FFXII had comparing to the previous ones. There was nothing amateurish and outdated in it. Saying you didnít like it is fine with me. But saying you didnít like it because of the things you stated, are you sure weíre talking about the same game?

It's true. A lot of us have outgrown the games. I, for one, dislike them because they mostly utilize archaic and inefficient gameplay systems, as well as for their absurd insistence on hiding about half of each game's content to make you buy a guide. There's also the fact that the storytelling in the games is badly outdated, severely repetitive, and often completely amateurish on top of that.

There are lots of better games these days, and I'd rather spend my time playing something that I won't feel like I've seen over a dozen times before.

I see what you are saying, especially about half the game content being hidden. I, myself found that I needed to buy the guide for FFXII to fully enjoy it (a purchase I regretted later on). I have to disagree with you about the gameplay though, I find it enjoyable. It may be "archaic" as you put it but I still find it fun and that's the most important thing. Each to their own I guess.

I too find that there are better games out, for example I have recently completed MGS4, a game that I found cried of excellence. However, I still very much like the FF series and IX is still one of my favourite games.

Garlic Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Harkus View Post
    I see what you are saying, especially about half the game content being hidden. I, myself found that I needed to buy the guide for FFXII to fully enjoy it (a purchase I regretted later on).
    Why don't you guys just download the walkthroughs from a site like gamefaqs or something? They may not be official but most of them are pretty good plus you don't have to pay anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DreinIX View Post
    Why don't you guys just download the walkthroughs from a site like gamefaqs or something? They may not be official but most of them are pretty good plus you don't have to pay anything.
    I don't know. I guess I just trust the official guides more and they have maps and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DreinIX View Post
    What are you talking about? Archaic system? Inefficient maybe (mostly because you have to spent hours to level up and gather loot blah, blahÖ) but archaic?
    Yes, archaic. Real-time party-based combat had been done in western RPGs, and in far more refined forms, nearly a decade earlier. There is a definite gap between Japanese-developed games and western-developed games now, with the Japs on the losing end. Many of their own big-name devs (Hideo Kojima, for one) have said as much.

And can you really accuse FFXII of having outdated or repetitive storytelling especially in comparison to the old ones? You surely must have noticed that none of the previous FF had the style and quality in writing that FFXII had. And it really didnít focus on a plot of the epic proportions of older titles which is another difference FFXII had comparing to the previous ones. There was nothing amateurish and outdated in it. Saying you didnít like it is fine with me. But saying you didnít like it because of the things you stated, are you sure weíre talking about the same game?
    What FFXII had was atrociously bad pacing, inexcusably poor character depth for pretty much any sort of adventure game, and a plot with all the originality of a typical summer popcorn flick. If you like it, fine. I'm not saying it doesn't have its appeal, but compared to a great many other games Ive played, its story could reasonably be called pathetic.

Opeth rules. You should check them out. poptart fantastico's Avatar
    I sort of agree with Prak... but I still like the FF series. It was the first RPG I ever played, and I guess I'll always remain a fan... Unless some other HUGE game comes along, and I don't mean in content only.

I've been a cautious fan of Final Fantasy for around a decade and while I've loved some entries, I've disliked just as many. These days I don't really care about new FFs like XIII, however, I'd play it given the chance and I still might make the effort to buy it.

Point is I haven't tired of FF. Personally, I'm a bit more tired of the discussion. For every sensible gamer, there seem to be fifteen sheepish fanboys who can't stand when you criticize even the smallest aspect of an FF. It's a headache.

On the lookout for terrorists and liberals. Ceidwad's Avatar
    I still like them, although I'm not going to argue with Prak because I know he'd respond by saying how western games are so much better, and I've never played most if not all of the games he holds to be the best RPGs around, so the debate would be pretty pointless.

Yeah, as I grow older I might opt for games with more depth, but I think FF games will still have their appeal because they offer the casual gamer something that's easy (and fun) to pick up and play. And to be honest, in terms of RPGs, I am probably a casual gamer. Most of my money that is spent on gaming goes on sports titles, with RPGs a distant second, so I think I will continue playing FF games for a while yet.

As far as the new ones are concerned, I have liked pretty much every one since VIII. At first I hated X-2, as I found it to be far too light-hearted bordering on downright silly, but that dislike has gradually faded the more I've played it.

A Captain Need Not Have a Eyepatch! Agent0042's Avatar
    There's an old joke around here that I'm the only member of the Shrine that still either likes or plays Final Fantasy games...

[Hidden link. Register to see links.] is active -- currently battle is Character Pairings!
    "When prayers turn to promises, not even fate can stand in their way. Wishes can come true. But not if you just wait for miracles. Miracles are things we make for ourselves. Here and now." - Fang & Vanille
    If you're not reading Goat Pen, you're missing the web's best Final Fantasy fanfiction. ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] ~~ [Hidden link. Register to see links.] - join us and sing!

Neg
    It's true, Agent ^_^

Come into the DNS downtime party thread, please! I missed you, last time

J. Peterman
    FINAL FANTASY SUCKS

SUIKODEN RULES!

Goren
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg View Post
    VI, IX, I. That's about it, now~
    Plus V, IV thats about it

Neg
    Allen, I think we've successfully revealed our ages to these whippersnappers~

Oldschool represent.

Goren
    Represent!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent0042 View Post
    There's an old joke around here that I'm the only member of the Shrine that still either likes or plays Final Fantasy games...
    haha, I like FF aswell.

[support-group]Hello, my name is Sherlock, and I like to play Final Fantasy sometimes...[/support-group]

Garlic Kid
    [support group (one voice)]Helloo Sheerlock[support group (one voice)]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast