Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy Loves Its Star Wars Referecnes (Spoilers-- FF and Star Wars)

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    I considered mentioning the Enterprise, but I decided not to, as it's more than likely it was actually named after the real American aircraft carrier of the same name.

In fact, three of the airships in FFIII are named after real-world vessels - the Invincible is a supply ship in the British Royal Navy, the Nautilus is a US submarine (appropriately enough), and the Enterprise is an aircraft carrier (as well as a NASA Space Shuttle), which is also where Gene Roddenberry got the name for the eponymous Star Trek vessel from in the first place.
    enkffxisig-new-small

Onion Kid
    Penelo, Fran, Basch, Larsa, Al-Cid Margrace, Lord Reddas/Judge Zecht and Judge Bergan/Noah-- these I can't fit into the Star Wars mold, though if anyone else wants to try, they're welcome to it.
    Fran = Chewbacca.

Basch is sort of similar to Obi-Wan Kenobi. He's a veteran knight from an order wiped out by the Empire, a knight with strong regrets about what he was unable to prevent, who has been in "exile" (AKA prison) since the Empire's rise. And he's got a beard when you first get him.

Reddas I've seen compared to Lando Calrissian, but he's only a little bit similar. He is the leader of Balfonheim, an isolated city over which the Empire has no jurisdiction and is keen to avoid Imperial attention. He also switches sides, which arguably is what Lando does. Though Reddas has an entirely different personality from Lando, because Lando's personality seems to have been transplanted onto...

Al-Cid. He comes into the story, and what's the first thing he does? He starts hitting on the princess.

The Judge Magisters in general occupy the space in Archadian Empire which Darth Vader occupies in the Galactic Empire. Gabranth occupies the same space as Vader in the plot. Gabranth/Vader is the "dragon" to Vayne's/Palpatine's "big bad." They are the recurring face villains. It also seems pretty obvious to me that Gabranth's design is heavily inspired by Vader's armor. The Theme of the Empire in FFXI is also clearly supposed to be evocative of The Imperial March in Star Wars.

As for Penelo and Larsa, beats me.

Heal the body, heal the heart... Enkidoh's Avatar
    Sorry to revive this after two months, but anyway.

I've just remembered two more FF references to Lucas's cash cow:

In FFVIII,
    Spoiler!

A second reference is found in FFXI's storyline:
    Spoiler!

The reasons for doing so though were different in each case though -
    Spoiler!

But I digress.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12